Shoutbox

Will my plan work? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Will my plan work? (/showthread.php?tid=23956)

Will my plan work? by musicalmidget on 04-20-2004 at 06:56 PM

Before I go away and waste an evening, I'd like a few opinions on what I'm planning. :p

I've got loads of problems with my computer at the moment and basically I've had enough of trying to fix them (some date back to before Christmas :-/).  I've decided just to delete everything and reinstall Windows from scratch.  However, there are lots of things I currently have stored on my computer that I don't want/can't afford to loose.  My plan is to move everything I need to keep onto my second hard-drive (F Drive), unplug it, and then format drive C completely.  I'll then proceed to reinstall Windows XP.  My plan then is to reconnect the second hard drive and just transfer all my saved files back over onto C.

Now, I think this plan should work, but too many times in the past I've gone ahead and done something that I "thought" would work, and it turned out it actually didn't work, and I lost everything as a result.  So, if you would be so kind as to tell me in advance whether this is likely to work, I would really appreciate it.

My alternative would be to move all the files I need to keep over the LAN to the other computer, but there are approximately 3-4 GB worth of data and I don't fancy waiting three and a half hours for the files to be moved if possible.

Thanks. :p

RE: Will my plan work? by CookieRevised on 04-20-2004 at 07:00 PM

no, it should work fine... but you don't need to unplug your second drive though, you can keep it plugged in (as long as you don't touch drive D by accident with format that is :D)

RE: Will my plan work? by musicalmidget on 04-20-2004 at 07:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
no, it should work fine... but you don't need to unplug your second drive though, you can keep it plugged in (as long as you don't touch drive D by accident with format that is :D)

I wondered if it was necessarry, but I've heard that the Windows XP installer sometimes tries to take over all hard-drives.  It's probably just some over-blown rumour but I just want to be safe...oh and I'm really clumsy, so if I disconnect it I can't delete anything by accident. :p

Thanks for your reply Cookie. :)
RE: Will my plan work? by KeyStorm on 04-20-2004 at 07:02 PM

You still can use Partition Magic for this (or any linux distribution with Partitions assistant, for if you don't want to *buy* partition magic) and create a backup partition.
After this format C, which is the first partition and copy back to C the data in the second partition.

RE: Will my plan work? by Choli on 04-20-2004 at 07:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
as long as you don't touch drive D by accident with format that is
drive F, if he doesn't change the partitions.
quote:
Originally posted by musicalmidget
but I've heard that the Windows XP installer sometimes tries to take over all hard-drives
well, that may happen if you have fat/fat32 and ntfs partitions... in some cases windows tries to use the fat/fat32 to boot while it's restarting in the instalation process... Anyway, if you want to be sure your files won't be touched, unplug the drive :refuck:
RE: Will my plan work? by musicalmidget on 04-20-2004 at 07:13 PM

It is fat32. :-/

I'll unplug it just to be sure. :p

RE: Will my plan work? by saralk on 04-20-2004 at 07:28 PM

wudnt it be better to write it onto a few cds, cos its less likely that u are gona drop the CD, and break it (ive done it with a HDD)

RE: Will my plan work? by musicalmidget on 04-20-2004 at 07:36 PM

In the past, this is what I have usually done.  However, it seems I under-estimated just how much stuff I needed to save, I've moved over 7GB over to my other hard-drive and I still have a little more to do.  My CD writer isn't exactly the fastest in the world, and it would probably take 10-15 CD's.  I think it's actually quicker this way.

I don't quite know what's taking up 7GB though, it's mostly school work and things. :p

RE: Will my plan work? by Jeronimo on 04-20-2004 at 07:42 PM

I like to unplug hard drives I don't want to format, just in case of a fluke and something gets lost/formatted etc :gfdrin:

I see no flaws in your plan. Just be sure to copy everything across, as I always tend to forget something and then regret it later :D

I think I'm going to re-install Windows this week on both of the machines in my house. Thanks to AutoPatcherXP, it should be a smooth and fast process to get upto speed :)

RE: Will my plan work? by musicalmidget on 04-20-2004 at 07:49 PM

Well, suprisingly I'm quite organised about this one.  When I decided I was going to do this a couple of hours ago I plowed through my computer looking for things I needed to keep and made a list.  I'm going through the list now and moving files where necessarry.  I'm not usually this organised. :p

Almost done. :banana:

RE: Will my plan work? by saralk on 04-20-2004 at 08:00 PM

quote:
I don't quite know what's taking up 7GB though, it's mostly school work and things.

:dodgy:

Make sure u dnt drop ur HDD, they break really easily. U cud use a DVD writer

RE: Will my plan work? by musicalmidget on 04-20-2004 at 08:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
quote:
I don't quite know what's taking up 7GB though, it's mostly school work and things.

:dodgy:

Make sure u dnt drop ur HDD, they break really easily. U cud use a DVD writer

I don't even plan on removing to drive, just disconnecting the power and IDE cables.  I could use a DVD burner...except it's in the other computer and like I said, I don't fancy transfering all that data over the LAN. :p
RE: Will my plan work? by reisyboy on 04-20-2004 at 09:20 PM

quote:
My alternative would be to move all the files I need to keep over the LAN to the other computer, but there are approximately 3-4 GB worth of data and I don't fancy waiting three and a half hours for the files to be moved if possible.
If you can do this i would put the really Key essential files you want to save and really desperatlyu cant afford to loose like accounts detailss of an coursework i dont know but i would do that. The really crucial i would put there just incase :)
RE: Will my plan work? by dotNorma on 04-20-2004 at 09:41 PM

I've heard that you really don't need to re-format your computer. Since all the problems are with the system files you really only need to re-install windows and overwrite the old windows files. But I don't know.

RE: Will my plan work? by Choli on 04-20-2004 at 09:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NoName
I've heard that you really don't need to re-format your computer. Since all the problems are with the system files you really only need to re-install windows and overwrite the old windows files. But I don't know.
i wouldn't do that... A format and a clean installation is always better than any upgrade.

btw, about the fat32 partiotion: if you aren't gonna use it in windows 9x/Me, i'd suggest you to convert that partition to ntfs (after you've restored the files)
RE: Will my plan work? by red3vil on 04-20-2004 at 10:18 PM

instead of install windows all the time, why don't make an image of a clean install with some basic's driver, office, painshop bla bla bla, the next time you f*ck up your pc you'll be done within minutes :D  then when you're done you allso don't have to download all window's upgrades, saves time :)

quote:
Originally posted by Choli

btw, about the fat32 partiotion: if you aren't gonna use it in windows 9x/Me, i'd suggest you to convert that partition to ntfs (after you've restored the files)

yep, i would
RE: Will my plan work? by musicalmidget on 04-20-2004 at 10:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by red3vil
quote:

yep, i would

I'd like to actually, but my Windows XP version is the upgrade, so I have to install Windows 98 before I can upgrade.

I've reinstalled everything now, and for once I thought it may have gone well for a change, untill...

"According to our records, the maximum number of times Windows XP can be activated using this product key has been exceeded.  Please call customer support for a new key."

How fantastic. :'(
RE: Will my plan work? by Choli on 04-20-2004 at 10:38 PM

quote:
I'd like to actually, but my Windows XP version is the upgrade, so I have to install Windows 98 before I can upgrade.
no need to do that. you can do a clean install and it'll ask you for a windows 98/nt/2000 cd. you put it, the installation recognices it and continues. I also do that.
quote:
"According to our records, the maximum number of times Windows XP can be activated using this product key has been exceeded.  Please call customer support for a new key."

How fantastic
/somg :O

RE: Will my plan work? by musicalmidget on 04-20-2004 at 10:44 PM

quote:
quote:
no need to do that. you can do a clean install and it'll ask you for a windows 98/nt/2000 cd. you put it, the installation recognices it and continues. I also do that.

:o

I didn't know that.

Blah! :p

quote:
quote:

How fantastic
/somg :O

Yeah. :-/
RE: Will my plan work? by sock on 04-21-2004 at 03:38 AM

It shouldn't take too long to transfer 7GB of data over a network with Fast Ethernet (100MBPS)... that's what I did here when I had to format my HDD.

But if you have another HDD on the same PC with enough free space, that's undoubtedly the better solution... :)

7GB is nothing nowadays, really... You can get to that size even without audio/video, which are the main space hogs I think.

RE: Will my plan work? by Wabz on 04-21-2004 at 10:12 AM

You can always convert the drive too NTFS when your finished :P#

Theres a convert command just use windows help to get the right syntax

RE: Will my plan work? by musicalmidget on 04-21-2004 at 11:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
You can always convert the drive too NTFS when your finished :P#

Theres a convert command just use windows help to get the right syntax

Lol, I never even thought to look for this...I'll look into it when I get chance.

I've just come racing home in my free lessons to phone microsoft about the activation error, and it's stangely activated itself without a problem now...I don't quite understand why, but at least it gets me out of a phone call. :p

quote:
Originally posted by sock
But if you have another HDD on the same PC with enough free space, that's undoubtedly the better solution... :)

Now that I've done this myself I know that you're correct.  I have instantly got all my important data back, within ten minutes of reinstalling Windows.  I'm quite happy that things have worked relatively well this time... :p

Thanks everyone for your advice, I really do appreciate it. :)
RE: Will my plan work? by Wabz on 04-21-2004 at 11:16 AM

quote:
I've just come racing home in my free lessons to phone microsoft about the activation error, and it's stangely activated itself without a problem now...I don't quite understand why, but at least it gets me out of a phone call.

Never knew win XP had activation :refuck:  Well my version doesnt anyways.  Converts a cool command I use it quite often when I fix friends computers :P
RE: Will my plan work? by musicalmidget on 04-22-2004 at 01:26 PM

Oh brilliant.  First time a reinatall goes well, and now it seems I've got the blaster virus.  Well, I can't be certain, but I seem to have all the symptons.  :'(

Blah, this is the story of my life. :-/

RE: Will my plan work? by surfichris on 04-22-2004 at 01:45 PM

I've had to copy all my crap over the network (~20gb) twice now, in the past month.. First because i planned a reinstall of everything, and just the other day because something happened to a windows system file and the rerstore point nor windows repair would fix it..

I make a list of all software i have installed too so i know what i have to install..

By saying you have the Blaster worm, is your computer shutting itself down randomly? http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/ven....blaster.worm.html

Otherwise install an AV (or use an online scanner) to detect exactly what it is..

quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
Never knew win XP had activation   Well my version doesnt anyways.
You must have a corporate release then, it doesnt have product activation and uses VLK's (Volume License Keys). They are usually given out to big business, government departments etc.. Wonder how you got a copy :rolleyes:
RE: Will my plan work? by Choli on 04-22-2004 at 02:02 PM

quote:
I've got the blaster virus.  Well, I can't be certain, but I seem to have all the symptons
you should have enabled WinXP firewall before the first connection to the Internet and then update your windows. Then you can disable it... Anyway, follow Chris' advice ;)
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
You must have a corporate release then, it doesnt have product activation and uses VLK's (Volume License Keys). They are usually given out to big business, government departments etc.. Wonder how you got a copy
:mipdodgy:
RE: Will my plan work? by tomfletcherman on 04-22-2004 at 07:02 PM

My dad formatted teh drive with all my music on it, and formatting the first drive wouldn't work without the second drive connected :s

RE: RE: Will my plan work? by Guido on 04-22-2004 at 07:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NoName
Blah, I hate people who format hard drives... why!?!?

* Guido breaks the mouse while banging it on the table.

Just deltree windows, program files, docs and settings (though you might want to backup My Documents), the root files and everything you don't want to keep and install windows, there you have, clean, fresh install, with no backupping in CDs...

quote:
Originally posted by tomfletcherman
My dad formatted teh drive with all my music on it, and formatting the first drive wouldn't work without the second drive connected :s
err...

two options:
a) you want to format the HD from windows, and either you disconnected the windows drive or are trying to format the windows drive (none will work :P)
b) they are actually the same drive, just two partitions.
RE: Will my plan work? by Choli on 04-22-2004 at 07:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
Blah, I hate people who format hard drives... why!?!?

* Guido breaks the mouse while banging it on the table.

Just deltree windows, program files, docs and settings (though you might want to backup My Documents), the root files and everything you don't want to keep and install windows, there you have, clean, fresh install, with no backupping in CDs...
that keeps the fragmentation on the disk. imo, it's better to format the disk (a quick format is ok). This way, the files of Windows (that usually don't change) are placed all together without fragmentation at the begining of the disk and then you can install programs and create documents ("personal files") that use to change their size and so fragment the drive (A)
RE: Will my plan work? by tomfletcherman on 04-22-2004 at 08:17 PM

Actually I have two drives, we did it ages ago, just sharing my horrible borrible experience with you all:P I'm pretty sure he pessed format D: instead of C: but when I disconnected D so it couldn't happen again, nothing really wanted to work how we wanted

RE: Will my plan work? by musicalmidget on 04-22-2004 at 11:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
By saying you have the Blaster worm, is your computer shutting itself down randomly? http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/ven....blaster.worm.html

It was trying.  I got the "Shutdown in 60 seconds" message, but luckily I remembered the magical shutdown -a command. :p

I removed it a while ago once I stoped it blocking the anti-virus websites.  I would guess I got it in the thirty seconds I had to disable the firewall for something last night, but it's all fixed now...well, I hope it is. :tongue:
RE: RE: Will my plan work? by Arc on 04-23-2004 at 04:17 PM

quote:

How fantastic. :'(

I'm a few days late here (typical :) ), but for the next time you want to do this you can avoid the entire XP Activation part by making a copy of:
\windows\system32\wpa.dbl (and wpa.bak if you want)

After re-installing, just drop the file back into \system32 and reboot - XP should be all activated again without having to contact MS.

RE: Will my plan work? by Wabz on 04-23-2004 at 04:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Arc
After re-installing, just drop the file back into \system32 and reboot - XP should be all activated again without having to contact MS.

thats naughty :dodgy:

Microsoft are dodgy though :P

Why activate when you can wait a week and get someone to crack it

RE: Will my plan work? by Arc on 04-23-2004 at 05:27 PM

Actually, there's nothing dodgy about it. It's a known technique. :)
The file will only work on the same machine (and only if the hardware hasn't been significantly changed between installs) and you need to have activated it first.

Oddly though, for such an important file, it's apparently not protected by System Restore...

RE: Will my plan work? by Wabz on 04-24-2004 at 02:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Arc
Oddly though, for such an important file, it's apparently not protected by System Restore

It cant be that important then :P

I'll stick with Win 2k for now thanks :)