Shoutbox

Problem at School - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Problem at School (/showthread.php?tid=23986)

Problem at School by user27089 on 04-21-2004 at 11:54 AM

On the school pc's. in ict me and jwb were both logged on and the following happened:

View Latest Post's: You would be logged in as me

Home: Logged in as JWB

and in theads we were logged in as ourselves????

tis crazy, does any1 know wats wrong, its probly the network...... :( but its annoying, cause i have my theme, and then jwb's theme that i don't like !!! arghh

HELP!

RE: Problem at School by surfichris on 04-21-2004 at 12:25 PM

Its because you have a proxy server and the proxy server is caching the pages..

RE: Problem at School by Wabz on 04-21-2004 at 12:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Its because you have a proxy server and the proxy server is caching the pages..

:dodgy: proxy servers  what they using SQUID?  Request for security reasons it be changed not to cache pages :P
RE: Problem at School by fluffy_lobster on 04-21-2004 at 05:10 PM

Dodgy mcdodgy :dodgy:

mybb sends out nocache headers on every page it makes and everything :-/

RE: Problem at School by WDZ on 04-21-2004 at 05:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fluffy_lobster
mybb sends out nocache headers on every page it makes and everything :-/
This board doesn't. :P

I don't like sending out dodgy headers because I'm afraid they might cause problems of their own. I've had trouble with headers quite a few times in the past.

Most of the time, the pages aren't cached, so I figure it's best to just stay with the default headers. :-/
RE: Problem at School by wj on 04-21-2004 at 05:42 PM

Yeah, If anyone remembers, we used to get some nice dodgy text at the top of the board every once and a while. It was a result of the headers not being processed properly.

RE: Problem at School by user27089 on 04-21-2004 at 06:43 PM

i'm annoyed :(

RE: Problem at School by saralk on 04-21-2004 at 09:06 PM

i think if one of u uses an online tranlator like babelfish, and choose the language as something like greek to english, than it in effect becomes a proxy browser, and u can view the website with different ips

RE: Problem at School by dotNorma on 04-22-2004 at 02:42 AM

At my shcool we have dodgy content blockers to prevent you from going to certain websites and we can't even access the forums :tongue:

RE: Problem at School by Pr0xY on 04-22-2004 at 03:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
On the school pc's. in ict me and jwb were both logged on and the following happened:

View Latest Post's: You would be logged in as me

Home: Logged in as JWB

and in theads we were logged in as ourselves????

tis crazy, does any1 know wats wrong, its probly the network......  but its annoying, cause i have my theme, and then jwb's theme that i don't like !!! arghh

HELP!

I know what you mean.  It does that at my school too.  I will log on to a computer in the library, and forget to sign off, then 4 hours later log on to a class room computer to check the board and when I go on the site, I'm already logged on.  the problem is, atleast for my school is that all the school computers are on the same LAN connection.  Sosay you vote for a poll on the net and it records your IP addy so you  cant vote again, well everyother computer in the school is now unable to vote in that poll.  And I'm not sure if this forum is run the same way.  When I log on, is the IP addy of the computer I'm at recorded and if I dont sign off then anytime I visits the site the site checks the ip address and sees it's the one pr0xy_nuk3r logged in on and he still hasn't logged off yet so it must be him. 

yeah, well I hoped that made sence,  anyways, goodnight people.

RE: Problem at School by WDZ on 04-22-2004 at 03:44 AM

Blah... I want to make it clear that the only way to be "logged in" is if MyBB's ID/password cookies are set.

If you're viewing a cached page that says you're logged in as User A, that's not necessarily true. You could actually be logged out, or logged on as a different user. The cached page might be lying, because it's not coming directly from the forum server.

quote:
Originally posted by pr0xy_nuk3r
And I'm not sure if this forum is run the same way.  When I log on, is the IP addy of the computer I'm at recorded and if I dont sign off then anytime I visits the site the site checks the ip address and sees it's the one pr0xy_nuk3r logged in on and he still hasn't logged off yet so it must be him. 
MyBB does not identify members by IP address. The member's browser needs to send the proper ID & password cookies to be logged in.
RE: Problem at School by Pr0xY on 04-22-2004 at 01:51 PM

quote:
I will log on to a computer in the library, and forget to sign off, then 4 hours later log on to a class room computer to check the board and when I go on the site, I'm already logged on.
WDZ, why does this happen then?? .... and it even happens when the computers are shut off.  I came inton the library this morning and I was already signed in

RE: Problem at School by WDZ on 04-22-2004 at 02:43 PM

Are you sure you're actually logged in? Try viewing a page of the forums that you didn't view before. If it says you're logged in, well, that's pretty strange. :s

Maybe the cookies get stored on the school's proxy server... :dodgy:

RE: Problem at School by Wabz on 04-22-2004 at 03:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Maybe the cookies get stored on the school's proxy server...

more likely it's just a cached page :P  Do a Ctrl+F5 on a page to reload it entirely :p
RE: Problem at School by Pr0xY on 04-22-2004 at 06:10 PM

yeah, I did Ctrl+F5 and I'm still logged on,  I think WDZ is right, because each person has to log in if they want to use the computer, and everyone has a different user name and pass, plus each student has a shared folder they can use to store school on so they can access it on a different computer.  I think the cookies are stored on the shared folder.

RE: Problem at School by dotNorma on 04-23-2004 at 01:33 AM

Would it be possible to get past the shcools dodgy content blocking with socks kozmo framer (makes me laugh everytime)?

RE: Problem at School by Concord Dawn on 04-23-2004 at 01:49 AM

quote:
yeah, I did Ctrl+F5 and I'm still logged on,  I think WDZ is right, because each person has to log in if they want to use the computer, and everyone has a different user name and pass, plus each student has a shared folder they can use to store school on so they can access it on a different computer.  I think the cookies are stored on the shared folder.

Enter, Wireless Laptops. :D Everyone at my school has a wireless laptop and the school took down the proxy server in favour of a packet scheduler. :D
RE: Problem at School by WDZ on 04-23-2004 at 02:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NoName
Would it be possible to get past the shcools dodgy content blocking with socks kozmo framer (makes me laugh everytime)?
No... it's not a proxy, just an HTML frame... :p
RE: Problem at School by dj_bri_t on 04-23-2004 at 02:59 AM

I've used to have the same login problem at school, and then they updated our servers so that any cookies would be deleted on logout.  They've since modified the servers again so that we've got a profile, and cookies will apply to your user only. So now I can click the keep me logged in button on forums, and I can still be logged in!  Hey, maybe the school servers aren't so bad after all!