Shoutbox

MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading (/showthread.php?tid=24054)

MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by sparkymcg on 04-22-2004 at 06:04 PM

I was all excited when i downloaded msn 6.2 but it was the biggest diasapoint ment when i opened it up.
there is nothing big that has changed about it
and 1 of the big disapointments was that plus doesnt work with it:(

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Menthix on 04-22-2004 at 06:12 PM

We know Messenger Plus! does not work on MSN 6.2, at the moment this is impossible. The creator of Plus! (Patchou) is informed about this and working on a fix. More info, here: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=24050 (this WILL be updated as soon as we can tell you more).

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Pr0xY on 04-22-2004 at 06:22 PM

Yeah, there aren't really that many visual changes, but they did fix come security risks and it is running alittle faster for me with 6.2.  And yes it unfortunate that plus does not work with 6.2, I think the whole forum agrees with that. 

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Lt.Col.DraGon on 04-22-2004 at 06:27 PM

yea u are right. 6.2 is not worth downloading... Be much better if they can make X edition with the skins i like like in 6.1... I keep with 6.1 for the moment until X edition comes out for 6.2 and also the msn plus works with 6.2

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by tomfletcherman on 04-22-2004 at 06:43 PM

Well my connection to the download got cut at exactly halfway :| microsoft can go shove a supercomputer up their ass

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by weirdal27 on 04-22-2004 at 06:43 PM

so am i the ONLY one with theese new games?
they are good, too bad they are suscription based
even though you get those new games, i dont think its worth the download |-)

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Lt.Col.DraGon on 04-22-2004 at 06:50 PM

yea how could u get the games from??? what website did u download msn 6.2???

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Kryptonate on 04-22-2004 at 06:50 PM

It is worth downloading it as it will have less security risks than 6.1. It was never said by Microsoft that 6.2 will have major improvements or new stuff in it. These were all rumours and rumours are often not true. There are a few things added like the "Mobile" group in your contact list and that you can see your emoticon before you send it too your contact. It will take a while before there will be skins available, before Plus! will work (hopefully one of these days:)).

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by weirdal27 on 04-22-2004 at 07:00 PM

i got it from the internal site

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Lt.Col.DraGon on 04-22-2004 at 07:02 PM

Yeah i know but i wait for msn plus 3 and also for the new skins for 6.2... i prefer 6.1.0211 right now for the moment.

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by weirdal27 on 04-22-2004 at 07:11 PM

so why am i the only one?
my friend downloaded it and has the extra games
the wheel of fortune s awesome :)

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Lt.Col.DraGon on 04-22-2004 at 07:19 PM

But how can u get the new games and i dont ! I dont get that at all.. Tell me ur email adress and pass me ur installer and i will see

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Menthix on 04-22-2004 at 07:23 PM

I didn't see any new game either. But the "Fun & Games" thing is in Dutch for me here, maybe only the english version is updated at this moment ?

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by jameseuk on 04-22-2004 at 07:25 PM

see
http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?category=main&id=19329

for why it isnt worth getting

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by CookieRevised on 04-22-2004 at 07:28 PM

all the installers are the same!!! The games menu doesn't depend on that... It depends on what regio you are in your .NET Passport settings.

And like Kryptonate said already, I can't stress enough, that no visible change doesn't mean there is nothing changed. There are a lot of changes under the hood (mainly bug-fixes). This is also why Plus! doesn't work anymore (which will be fixed as soon as possible). This doesn't mean it isn't worth downloading. Of course, you can wait untill the skins/patches/Plus! are updated...

Most changes anounced by various sites like mess.be, neowin, etc.. were ONLY RUMOURS. There was NEVER a confirmation of Microsoft that they will add those things (like animated display pictures), so stop complaining about that, please...

quote:
Originally posted by jameseuk
see
http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?category=main&id=19329
for why it isnt worth getting
That article just says nothing and is an update on the old article...

RE: RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Guido on 04-22-2004 at 07:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lt.Col.DraGon
But how can u get the new games and i dont ! I dont get that at all.. Tell me ur email adress and pass me ur installer and i will see
It has nothing to do with the installer, it depends on your geographical location.
RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Lt.Col.DraGon on 04-22-2004 at 07:38 PM

so how can in some people  get the new games and stuff and some dont get it is this official??

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by CookieRevised on 04-22-2004 at 08:10 PM

quote:
so how can in some people  get the new games and stuff and some dont get it is this official??
Did you read the replies we gave? ^o)
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
all the installers are the same!!! The games menu doesn't depend on that... It depends on what regio you are in your .NET Passport settings.
quote:
Originally posted by Guido
It has nothing to do with the installer, it depends on your geographical location.

RE: RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Triple8 on 04-22-2004 at 08:25 PM

quote:

Those games are meant for US regions
RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by saralk on 04-22-2004 at 08:36 PM

if u go to ur passport, and change ur country, ull probably get them.

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by marissa on 04-22-2004 at 08:41 PM

dude it sucks. they added a caption for games, they made a moblie group. and NOTHING. i think im gonna do back to 6.1.0211 or wahtever it was. plus, plus! doesnt work. booo i thought it;d be grand. :undecided:

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Huuf on 04-22-2004 at 08:41 PM

Change my vote from NO to Yes
I tested 1 hour and it has some plus things, only plus needs to work now :P

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Manduck on 04-22-2004 at 08:48 PM

yepz....least functions....not worth at all!

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by CookieRevised on 04-22-2004 at 08:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Manduck
yepz....least functions....not worth at all!
It has many bug fixes... why wouldn't it be worth it???? because you expected tons of new options?
RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by weirdal27 on 04-22-2004 at 09:04 PM

i say yes, it definatly is
maybe if you are on 28k and dont have time but you might as well, plus will work on it soon
just tell me something bad about it besides "the rumours wern't true! This sucks!"

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by EvilSeph on 04-22-2004 at 09:06 PM

I quote from somehwere. Version structure is as follows:

"Major.Minor.Revision"

When theres a minor number change eg. 6.1 to 6.2, this usually means it's a primarily a bug-fix build. You aren't meant to expect or recieve new features, you are supposed to expect and recieve a number of bug fixes. Nothing more.

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Jeronimo on 04-22-2004 at 09:07 PM

As it currently doesn't work with Plus, I won't be updating. As soon as Patchou gets it to work, its a definite upgrade. After all, there will be lots of fixes, and there will be no reason not to upgrade.

Those people complaining about lack of features, raise your right hand, turn your palm inwards, and slap your foreheads in disbelief. Then remember no one said there would be new features. :gfdrin: Some sites misreported that there would be new features. One of the few noticable changes is the way that icons are replaced in the text box. But no doubt there are plenty of internal changes made. (y)

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Triple8 on 04-22-2004 at 11:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
As it currently doesn't work with Plus,
does now ^^

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by davidusum on 04-22-2004 at 11:51 PM

i can't believe the new games only available in U.S. region i live in ontario, canada this bites :@

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Hova on 04-23-2004 at 12:09 AM

The update is only good for bugfixes IMO.

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by jameseuk on 04-23-2004 at 12:37 AM

erm its worth getting now, see http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=24073

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Maniac on 04-23-2004 at 12:39 AM

Well, i got it and added the new plus! patch, but it got reeeaaallly messed up so i went back to 6.1, i'll jsut wait a bit...

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by weirdal27 on 04-23-2004 at 12:43 AM

hey, if you live in another region, what about downloading the custom games patch from games.mess.be?
the newest version works with this and it has a link right in the launch menu to the english launch menu
just go download that and then you should be able to play the new games

RE: RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Hova on 04-23-2004 at 01:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jameseuk
erm its worth getting now, see http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=24073

For me, it still isn't. I don't use Msg Plus anymore.
RE: RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by kingboy on 04-23-2004 at 01:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by weirdal27
hey, if you live in another region, what about downloading the custom games patch from games.mess.be?
the newest version works with this and it has a link right in the launch menu to the english launch menu
just go download that and then you should be able to play the new games

Or you could download TabMrg

it says this right on the page:
TabMgr also provides the ability to change certain URLs Messenger uses, MSN Today, App Directory Page and App Directory Server.
If you want to use the mess.be games, use these URLs:
App Dir Page: http://appdirectory.brinkster.net/menu/LaunchMenu.aspx?L=en-US
App Dir Service: http://appdirectory.brinkster.net/AppDirectory.asmx

to change the app pages, you have to log on to TabMrg's site:) This way you get custom games and tabs:)
RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by weirdal27 on 04-23-2004 at 02:24 AM

oh yea, you could use tabserv
btw, this is the url for the english version:
http://appdirectory.messenger.msn.com/AppDirector...ctory.aspx?L=en-us
just plug that in instead of the custom games if for some reason you dont want the custom games

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by humanreflect on 04-23-2004 at 02:27 AM

Hey where can i download again the msn 6.1????

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by CookieRevised on 04-23-2004 at 11:34 AM

still on the official site: http://messenger.msn.com/

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Wabz on 04-23-2004 at 12:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by humanreflect
Hey where can i download again the msn 6.1????

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=msnm  Has every old version of messenger :)
RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by reisyboy on 04-23-2004 at 12:33 PM

Hye but old versions before a certian version are blocked

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Menthix on 04-23-2004 at 12:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
oldversion.com has every old version of messenger
Exept from 6.1 because it's not officially old yet :)
RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by sparkymcg on 04-24-2004 at 06:43 PM

get it from ww.msn.com this now they have took off 6.2 coz it has bugs this now and replaced it with 6.1
6.2 will be back on it soon so your best downloading it fast now

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Zeek on 04-25-2004 at 03:03 AM

They took off 'make a phone call' that I used quite often so I had to go back to 6.1! Are there any other features they removed in this new version?

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Ancyru on 04-25-2004 at 03:19 AM

Messenger 6.2 is so buggy, doesn't let me add users, keeps signing me out and occasionally changes the emails of my contacts (which in turn then deletes them) :|

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by FranzW on 05-15-2004 at 01:25 AM

I just don't like it, it is a bit slower, it has no great new features, and if you install the patch for auto-completing emoticons, it is like the same like 6.1. I will just wait for Windows X 6.2 [Image: 4_3_1.gif]

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by CookieRevised on 05-15-2004 at 09:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Zeek
They took off 'make a phone call' that I used quite often so I had to go back to 6.1! Are there any other features they removed in this new version?
No, and "make a phone call" is still there... :undecided:

quote:
Originally posted by FranzW
I just don't like it, it is a bit slower, it has no great new features, and if you install the patch for auto-completing emoticons, it is like the same like 6.1. I will just wait for Windows X 6.2
1) How do you know it is slower? There is no difference tbh...
2) same as 6.1? So? 6.2 has many bugfixes, so that's a very good reason to switch to 6.2. Install the patch to overcome the annoyence of the emo-autocomplete...
3) Windows X 6.2 is just the same as the plain orginal 6.2, only a skin is added...

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by FranzW on 05-15-2004 at 03:17 PM

Well...

1) I don't know. Maybe it's the same, oops.
2) I know...
3) That's what I want.

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by TedoDude on 05-15-2004 at 07:35 PM

1) Welcome Zeek and Anciru :clap: :banana: Always happy :) to see new faces :o)

2) I find that 6.2 is just more of a hinderance really... I am looking forward to when the Messenger service to mobiles is available... should be good... just my service provider does not support yet.

Like the Avatar FranzW!

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by msimplay on 05-20-2004 at 06:36 PM

um i use messenger plus with 6.2 without any problems :S

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by Ic3D-FLu!D on 05-20-2004 at 07:34 PM

msimplay, sparkymcg made this post on the 22nd of April, ur a month late m8. Since then Messenger Plus! has been updated so it is compatible with MSN 6.2.

-FLu!D

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by msimplay on 05-20-2004 at 11:13 PM

oh well am glad am a month late then hehe coz sounds like some people went through a painful time with msn 6.2 before i knew of this :D

RE: MSN 6.2 is not worth downloading by RebelSean on 05-21-2004 at 01:37 AM

Thanks for the info yall....I was going to download 6.2, but now I just desided not to ;-)