Shoutbox

XP Pro Multi Users - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: XP Pro Multi Users (/showthread.php?tid=24085)

XP Pro Multi Users by Dasnk on 04-23-2004 at 09:18 AM

Hi. My wife uses MSN Plus. This means that your program launches with every single user account (windows user account) on this computer, Not just the one who installed it.

I'm aware you probably won't fix it, I'm just hoping that you do, In the mean time I made my own little program which kills MsgPlus.exe each time I login to my windows account.

RE: XP Pro Multi Users by Menthix on 04-23-2004 at 09:27 AM

The settings of Plus! are stored per user, so people who don't like Plus! on multi-user systems can disable almost all of it's features while other people on the same system can still use Plus!. I think that is one of the many reasons why it doesn't have an option to install for current user only. If it will only install for the current users then it will be a problem for people who do want it for all users. And makeing it optional in the installer, well Patchou wanted to make his installer as simple as possible because most peoplle just click "Next"  without reading everything anyway.

I do understand you point though. BTW: Please keep in mind the name is "Messenger Plus!", the name "MSN Plus" is a web service from Microsoft.

RE: XP Pro Multi Users by CookieRevised on 04-23-2004 at 09:50 AM

Also, you don't need to kill msgplus.exe on those other accounts...
What you could do is remove the Plus!-startup key from your run settings in the registry. In that way Plus! would never start up when you start windows. The registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Then, in order to use Plus! with some account, you need to manualy start Plus! first and then MSN Messenger... This can be done with a little VBS-script for example:

code:
Option Explicit
On Error Resume Next

Dim WshShell
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.Exec "C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 2\MsgPlus.exe"
WScript.Sleep 1000
WshShell.Exec "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe"
Set WshShell = Nothing
note: the WScript.Sleep 1000 is very important!!! Plus! needs some time to initialize before messenger is started...

! ! ! ! !
Bare in mind that this method isn't "recommended", nor "supported". Although it works flawlessly...
! ! ! ! !

RE: XP Pro Multi Users by Dasnk on 05-25-2005 at 11:52 PM

I reported this over a year ago... I don't use this software, I'm tired of having to keep changing this manually. I shouldn't have to.

PLEASE make your application install in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

And NOT

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

---

quote:
The settings of Plus! are stored per user, so people who don't like Plus! on multi-user systems can disable almost all of it's features while other people on the same system can still use Plus!.

If people on the same system want to use plus they will install it themselves... Right now i am put off from ever using it because of the way it is forced on me.
RE: XP Pro Multi Users by RaceProUK on 05-26-2005 at 08:47 AM

Have you even looked at what's stored in HKLM? It's just information about where Plus! and it's compnents are, and a list of plugins. And it's not forced on you: most software is installed for all users by default.

If you're really that bothered about this, then keep using your little script.

RE: XP Pro Multi Users by uberdosis on 05-26-2005 at 06:20 PM

run>msconfig>startup and untick msgplus.

RE: XP Pro Multi Users by matty on 05-26-2005 at 07:19 PM

What Dasnk is trying to say is that when you install Messenger Plus! in an Administrator account it is installed for each account. Thus when Windows is loaded it is loaded for everyone else. A way to prevent this Patchou is on the window it asks where to install Messenger Plus! to have an option like most installers these days for:

Install For:
( ) Everyone
( ) Only Me

Then if Only Me is selected then It will write all data to HKCU instead of HKLM. Then you might have to change the commandline parameters to /SilentInstallOnlyMe /SilentInstallEveryone /SilentInstallNoSponsorOnlyMe /SilentInstallNoSponsorEveryone.

This could rectify the problem.

Dansk the other way, make your wife a Limited User hahaha.

RE: XP Pro Multi Users by Patchou on 05-27-2005 at 01:04 AM

Messenger Plus! loads in LocalMachien for a good reason: the global hook must be set as soon as possible and values in LocalMachien are run before values in CurrentUser. Also, most people want Plus! to be running in all of their sessions.

I suggest you download the latest version, go in the preferences, Misc section and enable Alternate Mode. Once this will be done, you can remove MsgPlus.exe from your startup and it won'T ever come back again after an update :).

RE: RE: XP Pro Multi Users by Dasnk on 05-31-2005 at 02:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Messenger Plus! loads in LocalMachien for a good reason: the global hook must be set as soon as possible and values in LocalMachien are run before values in CurrentUser. Also, most people want Plus! to be running in all of their sessions.

I suggest you download the latest version, go in the preferences, Misc section and enable Alternate Mode. Once this will be done, you can remove MsgPlus.exe from your startup and it won'T ever come back again after an update :).

Thank you for your response.

I have manually removed the entry from 'LocalMachine' and placed it in 'CurrentUser' for the person who uses it.

It works fine, MsgPlus.exe does not run in my process list, But launches for the other user when they log on.

Strangely though, When I start Messenger up, Plus is still integrated, Even though the MsgPlus was not running. I have no problem with that, I just had a problem with MsgPlus constantly running and suddenly appearing in my process list.

In future I will try your above advice, For now it is ok. Thank you.

RE: XP Pro Multi Users by dutch2005 on 05-31-2005 at 07:28 PM

what wrong with Messenger Plus! running on all accounts?

its just 3MB memory usage(max), and it adds a lot of features...

RE: XP Pro Multi Users by CookieRevised on 05-31-2005 at 10:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dasnk
Strangely though, When I start Messenger up, Plus is still integrated, Even though the MsgPlus was not running.
That's because you used the alternative method of hooking, which Patchou talked about:
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
go in the preferences, Misc section and enable Alternate Mode. Once this will be done, you can remove MsgPlus.exe from your startup and it won'T ever come back again after an update :).

RE: RE: XP Pro Multi Users by hennot on 06-06-2005 at 06:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dutch2005
what wrong with Messenger Plus! running on all accounts?

its just 3MB memory usage(max), and it adds a lot of features...

Well, if you happen to run a terminal server for 50 users then 3MB x 50 users = 150 MB. But what about 500 users?

Patchou, isn't it possible to create a minimum size exe which loads and unloads required modules (plugins?) on demand? Then it might be feasible to run MsgPlus on terminal server.

Henno
RE: XP Pro Multi Users by Patchou on 06-06-2005 at 11:18 PM

MsgPlus.exe doesn't actually take 3Mb of memory. The Task Manager never tells you how muc ha program really uses. Windows manages the memory of its programs dynamically, MsgPlus.exe only uses about 512Kb of memory actually.

In any case, if you setup Plus! to run in Alternate Attach Mode, then you can simply remove MsgPlus.exe all together from your system startup sequence, it won't be needed anymore to hook on Messenger.

RE: RE: XP Pro Multi Users by hennot on 06-07-2005 at 07:25 AM

quote:
if you setup Plus! to run in Alternate Attach Mode,
Does this needs to be done by every user on the terminal server?

quote:
then you can simply remove MsgPlus.exe all together from your system startup sequence
Is HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\MessengerPlus3="C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\MsgPlus.exe" the only entry for that?