Shoutbox

What would Patchoo do... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: What would Patchoo do... (/showthread.php?tid=24116)

What would Patchoo do... by Eric on 04-23-2004 at 06:07 PM

...if Microsoft proposed to buy MP! :P?
Yeah, I know it's spelt Patchou, but I pronounce it Patchoo coz it sounds cooler.

Post anything you want lol...
Here I go...
Patchoo goes to the Microsoft HQ and goes to Bill's office and shouts "GIVE ME A JOB, YOU LOOSER! HAHA YOU NEED MY PRODUCT TO SURVIVE, I GIVE YOU PLUS! IF YOU GIVE ME A JOB!!!" then Bill Gates becomes Patchoo's mentor, and he learns everything that Bill knows. Then he tricks Bill into playing poker with him(Bill used to play lotsa poker in his young days) and wins, like 49 billion and buys Microsoft(I know Microsoft is worth 478+ billion, but whatever) and monopolizes the market and takes over the world mwahahhahahahahaha.

RE: What would Patchoo do... by tomfletcherman on 04-23-2004 at 06:10 PM

lol, I think it's some ethical thing as to why plus and microsoft shouldn't be related in any commercial or cooperative way...

RE: What would Patchoo do... by Johnny_Mac on 04-23-2004 at 06:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tomfletcherman
lol, I think it's some ethical thing as to why plus and microsoft shouldn't be related in any commercial or cooperative way...
I'd love to know how... :undecided:

Personally I'd be disappointed if Patchou didnt accept it. This would be a massive opportunity for himself personally. It would open the doorway to other things IMO. Although I do see a side to the whole thing being branded a "sell-out".

Obviously the choice is his.

RE: What would Patchoo do... by Omar on 04-23-2004 at 06:53 PM

Well, some people call him a "sell-out" because of the sponsor program in MsgPlus...:undecided:

If MS would want to buy a software of my creation, i would sell it in a heartbit...because of the money and also as JohnnyMac put it, itwould open a few doors in my carrer...

I think idealism will take you some places, but in the end, you have to support your family...

RE: What would Patchoo do... by Anubis on 04-23-2004 at 06:56 PM

It is always a possibility that Plus! would be bought by Microsoft...but I doubt Patchoooooooo would rob Bill Gates and leave him in a ditch...would he?

RE: What would Patchoo do... by Weyzza on 04-23-2004 at 07:06 PM

That would be very cool if Microsoft proposed to buy Plus!.
But, why Microsoft always tries to prevent Plus! work in MSN Messenger?
I doubt they don't know that Plus! is the most used Messenger add-on in the world....

quote:
Originally posted by Eric
Yeah, I know it's spelt Patchou, but I pronounce it Patchoo coz it sounds cooler.

I like the way Patchou's name is.
Patchoo sounds like the sound when I sneeze :p.
No offense, Patchou...

RE: What would Patchoo do... by Kryptonate on 04-23-2004 at 07:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by thekid
But, why Microsoft always tries to prevent Plus! work in MSN Messenger?
they don't try it. Plus! works with the protocol of msn messenger and if microsoft changes the protocol for security reasons Plus! doesn't work anymore. It's not done intentionally to prevent Plus! from working :)
RE: What would Patchoo do... by Omar on 04-23-2004 at 07:47 PM

Agreed, I don't think MS conspires to prevent Plus! from working ...

Heh...

I imagine the scene in the MS  Messenger Department...

Manager: All right people... NOBODY will leave this room until we figured out a way of making impossible to MsgPlus to work with the MSN Messenger...

Employee #1: (Whispering to Employee #2) Can they do that?

Employee #3: Ah sir, we better order some food...

Manager: Yeah, and some coffee, it's going to be a long night........

:lol:

RE: What would Patchoo do... by .blade// on 04-23-2004 at 07:56 PM

Timeline:
Patchou makes Plus! 1.0
Patchou makes Plus! 2.0
Patchou makes Plus! 3.0
M$ buys Plus!
Patchou slowly plans to overthrow Bill and succeeds
Patchou makes world a better place
Patchou gets power hungry
Patchou makes the Atom Bomb Plus!
PAtchou blows up the world

Wait....that's not good ^o) (;))

RE: What would Patchoo do... by bach_m on 04-23-2004 at 08:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate

they don't try it. Plus! works with the protocol of msn messenger and if microsoft changes the protocol for security reasons Plus! doesn't work anymore. It's not done intentionally to prevent Plus! from working

plus doesn't touch the protocoll.... it hooks into the program. if ther is a big UI change (like from 5 to 6), then Plus! doesn't hook properly.....

RE: What would Patchoo do... by Smethead on 04-23-2004 at 08:51 PM

If M$ buys plus! from patchou, they should leave it freeware. I would hate it if you'd have to pay for it.

RE: What would Patchoo do... by sock on 04-23-2004 at 09:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eric
Actually, it's supposed to be pronounced "pah-choo", so your way of spelling doesn't make any difference. :p

[/offtopic]

My opinion:

1. If you're referring to buying the "company" - that is, hiring Patchou - I think he'll want that (knowing that he likes Microsoft's work).
I have considered this possibility myself before - wouldn't it be cool if MP had Microsoft's full support? However, if MP is owned, Microsoft could also limit the product development by making demands that Patchou (and the users) would not agree with, so there's always a downside.

2. If you're talking about buying just the product itself and all rights for it, I don't think Patchou would agree (well, unless they pay him a lot, I guess:p).
RE: What would Patchoo do... by Joe on 04-23-2004 at 09:07 PM

It wouldn't be fun is it wasn't against Microsoft's Will!!!!!

RE: What would Patchoo do... by Banks on 04-23-2004 at 11:57 PM

i thought someone had started selling WWPD bracelets :P

RE: What would Patchoo do... by Choli on 04-24-2004 at 12:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Smethead
If M$ buys plus! from patchou, they should leave it freeware. I would hate it if you'd have to pay for it.
why would M$ want to buy a software if after that they leave it freewave?
RE: What would Patchoo do... by Patchou on 04-24-2004 at 12:25 AM

Well, if Microsoft wanted to buy my software, it would probably be to remove it from the internet so it wouldn't be good for any of you I guess :). But if they make this proposal someday, I obviously won't dismiss it. I was already supposed to work in the MSN Messenger server team but it didn't happen as I couldn't get a visa with my current status. Things are different now so if another opporunity arises, I'll jump on it. As for actually selling my baby Plus!, I've been proposed money several times in the past by some other companies, but one thing is sure: I won't sell for peanuts :).

Patchou

RE: What would Patchoo do... by Eric on 04-24-2004 at 05:54 AM

high five Patchoo ;)

RE: What would Patchoo do... by BiZaRrE on 04-24-2004 at 07:04 AM

go patchou!!!:D

RE: What would Patchoo do... by Johnny_Mac on 04-24-2004 at 10:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I won't sell for peanuts .
ebay it... see how much you can get. :grin:
RE: What would Patchoo do... by Anubis on 04-24-2004 at 11:17 AM

quote:
I've been proposed money several times in the past by some other companies
What companies? Anyone we know? Big Companies?
quote:
if Microsoft wanted to buy my software, it would probably be to remove it from the internet
Just like Linux...
RE: What would Patchoo do... by Wabz on 04-24-2004 at 11:27 AM

quote:
Well, if Microsoft wanted to buy my software, it would probably be to remove it from the internet so it wouldn't be good for any of you I guess

Of course it would you'd just have to recode it rename it and add some different features ;)
RE: What would Patchoo do... by Anubis on 04-24-2004 at 12:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wabz

Of course it would you'd just have to recode it rename it and add some different features
That would be a lot of work...especially if Microsoft own the source code...anyway I'm sure Patchou wouldn't sell if he knew it would mean the end of Plus!
RE: What would Patchoo do... by azn angel on 04-25-2004 at 10:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
quote:
:rofl:!!!!!
man thats a good one
anyway heres my story
Bill: Hello, is this Mr Patchou?
Patch: Err yes, and to whom am i speaking to (yeh i know he doesnt have perfect english!)
Bill: This is Bill Gates, we were wondering if you could look outside the window
Patch: err ok *looks outside and sees helicopter*
Bill: step inside it
Patch: wow, ok
~~~inside helicopter~~~
Bill: we would like you to work for us
Patch: Sure!
and then patch learns everything about M$ (even da stuff Bill doesnt know!!!)
and bill adopts Patch and bill dies of cancer and patch inherits everything and then patch makes his sister absolutly famous and she decides not to loose any weight
THEN END!
lol
RE: What would Patchoo do... by frog on 04-25-2004 at 10:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by azn angel
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
quote:
:rofl:!!!!!
man thats a good one
anyway heres my story
Bill: Hello, is this Mr Patchou?
Patch: Err yes, and to whom am i speaking to (yeh i know he doesnt have perfect english!)
Bill: This is Bill Gates, we were wondering if you could look outside the window
Patch: err ok *looks outside and sees helicopter*
Bill: step inside it
Patch: wow, ok
~~~inside helicopter~~~
Bill: we would like you to work for us
Patch: Sure!
and then patch learns everything about M$ (even da stuff Bill doesnt know!!!)
and bill adopts Patch and bill dies of cancer and patch inherits everything and then patch makes his sister absolutly famous and she decides not to loose any weight
THEN END!
lol

:mipdodgy: ...

i will be pissed off if m$ takes away plus.....    but if m$ do want to buy it and patch aggrees to sell it, he could make a contract to make sure m$ doesnt turn it into shareware or whatever and keeps it free, and also doesnt stop it from being use altogether :)

RE: What would Patchoo do... by M-Head on 04-25-2004 at 11:03 AM

lol, that ebay thing made me laugh!

It would be weird if Patchou sold Plus!, but I guess if it was bought by Microsoft, I'm sure Patchou would demand things in/from the contract, like no limitations on features. But then there would be problems, ie concerning the ad banner at the bottom of the main MSN Messenger window.

But seeing as Patchou did manage to reduce the spyware included in Plus!, it wouldn't be too bad.

RE: What would Patchoo do... by frog on 04-25-2004 at 11:06 AM

blah.. if m$ really really wanted plus.. patch could make them his puppets and get whatever he wants from them...

but the chances are if he demand to much they'll just shoo him off... cause even tho they are multi billionares...  they are tight basterds :P

RE: What would Patchoo do... by Anubis on 04-25-2004 at 11:09 AM

I can't see Microsoft buying it...the IRC commands could confuse n00bs...the ad-banner would have too stay...

RE: What would Patchoo do... by Wabz on 04-25-2004 at 01:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by anubis_kree_
I can't see Microsoft buying it...the IRC commands could confuse n00bs...the ad-banner would have too stay...

I can see them buying it.  Microsoft would just buy it and bin it :P  All they have to do is own it. Perhaps they could stop it indefinitly this way
RE: What would Patchoo do... by MJ™ on 04-25-2004 at 01:38 PM

Totaly agree with Wabz   ;)

RE: What would Patchoo do... by Anubis on 04-25-2004 at 01:54 PM

Yeah suppose Microsoft may buy it with the pure idea of destroying it...but they seem only to do that with OS's and software that threaten their motives (they tried to buy and close Linux)...at the moment Plus! and MSN get along symbiotically...I can't see Microsoft caring about Plus! because it's actually helping them and a company that big doesn't care about things like Plus!

RE: What would Patchoo do... by MJ™ on 04-25-2004 at 02:03 PM

Ok,

Perhaps they will just destruct the name !plus and include !plus features in Messenger.

:shocked:

RE: RE: What would Patchoo do... by Guido on 04-25-2004 at 08:30 PM

quote:
Well, if Microsoft wanted to buy my software, it would probably be to remove it from the internet so it wouldn't be good for any of you I guess :). But if they make this proposal someday, I obviously won't dismiss it. I was already supposed to work in the MSN Messenger server team but it didn't happen as I couldn't get a visa with my current status. Things are different now so if another opporunity arises, I'll jump on it. As for actually selling my baby Plus!, I've been proposed money several times in the past by some other companies, but one thing is sure: I won't sell for peanuts :).
/sclap :P

Good luck :)

quote:
Perhaps they will just destruct the name !plus and include !plus features in Messenger.
Actually, I hope so. That would be the best case.