Shoutbox

msgplus abuse @ neowin :P - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P (/showthread.php?tid=24153)

msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by Stigmata on 04-24-2004 at 09:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Monkeh
  FYI, When you install the automatically downloaded MSN Plus update (support for 6.2), it automatically installs a toolbar and some other kind(s) of spyware onto your computer. One was installed into the Program Files/Mp3Grid folder and another was installed into Documents and Settings/Local Data/Temp (Enable view hidden folders to view this folder).

So be careful when you try to update... and download it separately if possible, since the installer would probably have an option to disable the ad/spyware (unless Patchou has become greedier).

Also, a message for Patchou if you're reading this... f*ck you.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=160532&hl=

hmmmmmmmmmm.........

i didnt download it that way...

and i didnt get the mp3grid and blah blah all the rest

most of the thread is negative
such as
quote:
Originally posted by HellBender

QUOTE (Monkeh @ Apr 23 2004, 20:16)

Agreed. God damn greedy idiots, both MSNPlus and DeadAIM were excellent pieces of software.. then their creators got greedy as hell.

quote:
Originally posted by geo
Msgplus just keeps digging itself deeper into the hole of ****..

but then when u get onto page 2 :) things seem brighter :P

quote:
Originally posted by Gergith
i dont knwo WHAT the **** you people are talking about.. i have used plus since it was first around, AGES ago, and i have yet to have adware put onto my computer.. i dont know what your peoples problem is, but you do realize its an OPTION to have or not have the adware?
quote:
Originally posted by Relativity_17
Huh, how then, have I used Plus! for over two years, and have never had a problem with spyware?

You idiots really should quit spreading your FUD. Patchou has forsaken a lot to program Plus! (including risking his relationship with his significant other) for us, and release it for FREE, with the OPTION OF NOT INSTALLING SPYWARE. You ungrateful assholes better power off your computers, unplug them, and pull out your tin foil hats... Patchou? Greedy? That's complete bull****. So you n00bs, STFU.

any way. thought i would bring it to your attention,

i thought if we got loads of peeps on this forum to shout at them :P

hehehehehe

yours
jackasswanabe
RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by Mike on 04-24-2004 at 09:11 AM

Darn those n00bs who dont know to read :blah:

RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by Anubis on 04-24-2004 at 09:14 AM

Oh great more morons mouthing off about the sponsor program that they've installed and haven't took the effort to look up...I'm going to sign up and tell them because I feel sorry for them

RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by Tochjo on 04-24-2004 at 09:16 AM

Please, do not call them names (or n00bs for that matter).
I can understand their point of view: they installed something and see stuff they didn't want. I can see they would blame Messenger Plus!.

We're here, in my opinion, to explain to them what exactly happened. No need to call them names :-/

RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by Mike on 04-24-2004 at 09:21 AM

Really Patchou should add a message box at the sponsor installetion part and start with "I refuse"

RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by KnightieBoy on 04-24-2004 at 09:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
I can understand their point of view: they installed something and see stuff they didn't want. I can see they would blame Messenger Plus!.

We're here, in my opinion, to explain to them what exactly happened. No need to call them names :-/
I agree, but I personally wouldn't act like them, but rather find out what went wrong, or if there is any information on the pLus!-website, but that's just me
RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by Tochjo on 04-24-2004 at 09:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by KnightieBoy
I agree, but I personally wouldn't act like them, but rather find out what went wrong, or if there is any information on the pLus!-website, but that's just me
Neither would I, but I do know I wouldn't like to be called a moron when I went to a support forum :)
RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by martin on 04-24-2004 at 10:02 AM

from same thread

quote:
Totally Agreed! Patchou is my hero
so true :bow:
RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by KnightieBoy on 04-24-2004 at 10:10 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by KnightieBoy
Neither would I, but I do know I wouldn't like to be called a moron when I went to a support forum :)
yes, I know + I agree, but what puzzles me is why people complain and complain instead of finding out what happened. I can understand why they're angry, but it would seem more of a common-sense-thing to do is to see if there are any proper uninstall instructions or any other problems, you could atleast post here in the forums to report (in your eyes) a bug or whatever, rather than complain with sentences like "Patchou is greedy"
RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by Anubis on 04-24-2004 at 10:18 AM

They seem to be talking about the automatic update...not the full install but I just posted about it on the thread...

quote:
Hello, I'm from Messenger Plus! Community forums and I'd like to point out some things about the sponsor program.
The sponsor program isn't the usual ad-ware crap you see around on the internet. It's specifically designed for Patchou (creator of Messenger Plus!) not to be intrusive. Attempting to remove the sponsor program by anti-spyware tools or just deleting it isn't the way to go about it. You must uninstall Plus! and re-install it and deny the sponsor program (I attached an image).
If you have installed the sponsor program and have tried to remove it by anti-spyware or deleting it manually you will need to re-install Plus! with the sponsor program and then uninstall it and then re-install it without the sponsor program...
More information at http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598
I hope this experience hasn't discouraged you from using Messenger Plus!

RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by martin on 04-24-2004 at 10:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by anubis_kree_
They seem to be talking about the automatic update...not the full install
like ive been saying on there [im themartin] that the update is the same is if u manually downed it
RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by Anubis on 04-24-2004 at 11:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by martin
like ive been saying on there [im themartin] that the update is the same is if u manually downed it
Yeah I know it is but there are a few idiots who think it isn't...
RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by Wabz on 04-24-2004 at 11:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by anubis_kree_
Yeah I know it is but there are a few idiots who think it isn't...

They don't know any better of course I know how not to install the sponsor after nearly a year and a hlaf at these forums they don't :P .  Neowin supports Plus!  Just as mess does.  People may not like it but thats there opinion .  Just as I don't like Yahoo Messenger
RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by Anubis on 04-24-2004 at 03:12 PM

Well it seems that now they are saying that they'd rather pay for Plus! than manage with a simple option to install a sponsor program or not...Geez

RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by M-Head on 04-24-2004 at 03:44 PM

Well how studid is that? I did point out that you can donate money to Patchou...I couldn't resist posting there.

RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by Johnny_Mac on 04-24-2004 at 03:50 PM

I'm not saying anyone is doing this, because I have only skim read the topic on neowin. But please remember not to directly affect the value of these forums with any aggresive opinions of your own.

As Wabz said, these people are entitled to their own opinion also. Remember that when people start calling each other "morons", "idiots" and "n00bs".

Thanks.

RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by KeyStorm on 04-24-2004 at 03:58 PM

Let's get to the point, only very few people would install it itntentionally. Who wants adware installed in the computer? The problem is that Patchou knows many people who don't care about reading what the agreement says (and the options themselves) simply accept and go on without caring much. This is an error of those who install, we should always read any agreement we're about to accept.
If some people simply accepted and are now complaining about this... they just don't have the right to do so. Indeed we would have the right to blame them for not having read the agreement. But as we are civilised people who know why we have to read agreements we have to be polite to those members who don't.

And nothig should be changed in the agreement and the options: MP! is really getting profit of those who actively accept without caring, don't you forget it ;) (in early sponsor days there was only  a checked ACCEPT box by default one had to unecheck in order to install MP! without sponsor and many people complained; now you have to actively accept the agreement checking either of the options, which assures you have not overseen anything and you are ACCEPTING)

Btw: they always have the option to uninstall the sponsor, after all. :)

RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by Patchou on 04-24-2004 at 04:22 PM

There will always tbe complaining, don't worry about it :). I'm always wondering how to make my agreement better but I don't find good sollutions to that. In fact, that's why there's no more Automatic/Custom installation mode in Plus!3.

I'm happy with the Neowin's users reaction. except for the first page of unjustified insults, the other replies have already shown the original poster how wrong he was.

RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by Xplus on 04-25-2004 at 12:51 AM

meh, its just a little toolbar on IE, and its a good toolbar at that, quite handy if you give it a chance, thought a little annoying because if you do rightclick and click off it, then next site u load loads it up again, but hey, its easy to remove

RE: RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by extrodity on 04-25-2004 at 07:35 AM

quote:

I agree, but i would also say that you should never come to the messenger plus! support forum and start to post instulting comments about msgplus and more importantl about patchou :o

especially when they are the ones in error :^)

so before anyone starts to post rude and insulting post because the have a problem, take a few minutes to read around the forum.  the odds are your problem has been discussed and fixed :)
RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by Stigmata on 04-25-2004 at 07:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by extrodity
I agree, but i would also say that you should never come to the messenger plus! support forum and start to post instulting comments about msgplus and more importantl about patchou
they didnt.............
RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by extrodity on 04-25-2004 at 08:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jackass_wanabe
quote:
Originally posted by HellBender

QUOTE (Monkeh @ Apr 23 2004, 20:16)

Agreed. God damn greedy idiots, both MSNPlus and DeadAIM were excellent pieces of software.. then their creators got greedy as hell.

quote:
Originally posted by geo
Msgplus just keeps digging itself deeper into the hole of ****..

i wasnt reffering to the start of this post but about the other thread from which these comments came from, sorry for the confusion, i just woke up and i can still see two of every thing :)
RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by Xplus on 04-25-2004 at 02:01 PM

quote:
especially when they are the ones in error

they arnt in "error", they are right, it does some with a toolbar and stuff...
RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by Menthix on 04-25-2004 at 03:17 PM

But that toolbar you talk about is completely optional, you need to choose if uoy want to have that toolbar installed or not during the installation (called sponsor agreement).

So if people have the toolbar installed they choose to have it, nothing is forced. And if they installed it by mistake they can just remove it by uninstalling Plus! and reboot their PC after it. After that they are free to install Plus! again without the sponsor.

RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by Guido on 04-25-2004 at 08:43 PM

It's unbelievable how people keep insisting with their opinions after being proved wrong tens of times... :P

RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by lylesback2 on 04-26-2004 at 09:36 PM

hmm... i have never installed the sponsor... and i have always checked no when it asked... and refused to download the version with the sponsor... but this one actually installed a toolbar onto my computer and a bunch of other crap.... but norton, spyboy, and ad-aware 6 got rid of them all

3 things detected by norton
30+ things detected by ad-aware
17 things detected by spyboy

RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by Patchou on 04-26-2004 at 09:44 PM

The installer has not been changed at all since Messenger Plus! 2.50, selecting No will not install the sponsor program in any case. If it did, I would have a lot of ennemies right now :p

RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by lylesback2 on 04-26-2004 at 10:03 PM

but it seems like alot of us are having this repeat problem... especially this version.. have you changed anything like.. setting the Yes button to default?  instead of the No?  before the next button?

RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by extrodity on 04-26-2004 at 10:16 PM

The default is no option selected. this way th user cannot continue, without choosing whether or not to install the sponsor software, thus preventing reducing  accidental installation........
there fore, you cannot install the sponsor software without activly selecting the option, and cannot install MSG Plus! without choosing either "yes" or "no"

Extrodity

RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by lylesback2 on 04-26-2004 at 11:19 PM

odd... i dunno why stuff was installed on my PC then ^o)... cause i never got the verify i am installing sponsor stuff... and it didnt show anything, thus me saying "NO" and yet still ads :P

RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by Guido on 04-27-2004 at 12:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lylesback2
odd... i dunno why stuff was installed on my PC then ^o)... cause i never got the verify i am installing sponsor stuff... and it didnt show anything, thus me saying "NO" and yet still ads :P
Why oh why did you use other software to remove it instead of Plus' uninstaller? :rolleyes:
RE: msgplus abuse @ neowin :P by reisyboy on 04-27-2004 at 12:47 PM

Grrr little shites  lol

Seems to me they are confused and beleive the toolbars MSN 6.2 checked by default is getting you to install is caused by Plus! :-/

Anyway i do like the second page :P:)