Shoutbox

MSN 6.2 taking off official site - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: MSN 6.2 taking off official site (/showthread.php?tid=24164)

MSN 6.2 taking off official site by sparkymcg on 04-24-2004 at 04:43 PM

MSN 6.2 has been taking off the offical site
This is due to there been bugs in it
For the mean time it has been replaced back with 6.1
6.2 though will be getting re released some time next week with the bug problems fixed

RE: MSN 6.2 taking off oficial site by musicalmidget on 04-24-2004 at 04:48 PM

Well, although this is the first I've heard about this, I can't say it suprises me.

I haven't used 6.2 yet, basically because I haven't had time to download it yet, but the people I know that have used it aren't impressed.

* musicalmidget hopes the next version is better. :rolleyes:

RE: MSN 6.2 taking off official site by sparkymcg on 04-24-2004 at 04:52 PM

Im not really that impressed with it my self i was really looking forward for the animated display pics until they scrapped that
and also i was upset that plus didnt work at first but thanks to the person who fixed this it works now

RE: MSN 6.2 taking off official site by leito on 04-24-2004 at 04:54 PM

Not the first post about this,

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=24142

RE: MSN 6.2 taking off oficial site by Menthix on 04-24-2004 at 04:54 PM

It has never been on the official site as far as i know? The official site is http://messenger.msn.com/ or http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/ if you wish. I never saw 6.2 there.

You probally are talking about msn-int.com which is not the official MSN site. It is owned by Microsoft, but they seem to use it as some kind of test site. It's not ment for public use, i think Microsoft should restrict IP access on that whole domain to keep people from getting confused about it :s.

RE: MSN 6.2 taking off official site by sparkymcg on 04-24-2004 at 05:08 PM

I went on http://messenger.msn-int.com site just there and it says

quote:
Can't find something? Try the old MSN.com

so i think it actually is the official site
RE: MSN 6.2 taking off official site by lylesback2 on 04-24-2004 at 05:15 PM

re-release is monday

RE: MSN 6.2 taking off official site by Kryptonate on 04-24-2004 at 05:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sparkymcg
Im not really that impressed with it my self i was really looking forward for the animated display pics until they scrapped that
and also i was upset that plus didnt work at first but thanks to the person who fixed this it works now
The animated display pictures were RUMOURS, Microsoft NEVER officialy announced it.
Patchou let Plus! work with 6.2 as he is the only programmer in the Plus! project :).
RE: MSN 6.2 taking off official site by sparkymcg on 04-24-2004 at 05:24 PM

thanks patchou anyway just i thought i read somewhere that someone else was fixing it

RE: MSN 6.2 taking off official site by jren207 on 04-24-2004 at 05:51 PM

I went on the new site and clicked download, saved it to my pc and was angry to find out that the installer said messenger 6.1 setup (and some options to repair msn etc.) I did a web search and found 6.2.0133. It's workin ok, but where are those specials features expected :S :O
Wow, i am so impressed by the new icon for the games...not ...

btw, what is the connection manager for, how does it work, the button is blanked out :S

RE: MSN 6.2 taking off official site by ShawnZ on 04-24-2004 at 09:26 PM

reply to menthix:
yes on the 22nd it WAS on the site but there were many bugs: for example, it kept linking me to german sites and the 6.1 setup kept accidently downloading instead of 6.2. I never got to downloading it, but it WAS up. it was the new orange looking site.
edit: the 6.1 setup was there probably because they realized it was dodgy so they took it off, but it took a little longer to return the origional look of the site.

reply to sparkymcg:
msn-int.com is the msn internal site. it is for work-in-progress pages (from what im told). Why would they make it the new messenger home page when theyve already got a perfectly good msn.com?

RE: MSN 6.2 taking off official site by CookieRevised on 04-25-2004 at 12:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jren207
It's workin ok, but where are those specials features expected :S :O
What special features? Again... Microsoft NEVER anounced any "special" features like animated display pictures. These were rumours and misinterpreted information of too enthiousiastic Messenger users... read: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=24...d=230891#pid230891
RE: MSN 6.2 taking off official site by jren207 on 04-25-2004 at 12:39 AM

ok i see now. It would have been nice to have them features...
So really its jus another version of msn messenger 6.1 with a few changed bits and pieces, nothing major...

RE: MSN 6.2 taking off official site by tomfletcherman on 04-25-2004 at 07:31 AM

Why are we excited over a minor release?

RE: MSN 6.2 taking off official site by TedoDude on 04-25-2004 at 08:17 AM

there still are SOME guaranteed xtra's, for example, the New Games in the fun & games, and the emoticons in the text box which nobody seems to like :-|

Security flaws need to be fixed, generally for your, and your computer's safety

RE: MSN 6.2 taking off official site by jren207 on 04-25-2004 at 02:22 PM

I live in the UK and see no new games or activities. Is this because i live in the Uk, or will they be in the final release. (I have the release that was removed.)

RE: MSN 6.2 taking off official site by CookieRevised on 04-26-2004 at 05:55 PM

The games you get (in the action menu) depends on what regio/geographical location you've set in your .NET Passport settings. Normaly this will be your regio were you live (in your case UK), but you can easly set that to something else.

Also, if you've patched your msn messenger with the "custom games patch" or the "tabserv patch", you will get all the games including the extra games from mess.be regardless of your regio settings.

(this is because the link for the action menu is patched; In a original/unpatched msn messenger the link points to your .NET settings. But with the patch it points to the "custom games" from mess.be)

RE: MSN 6.2 taking off official site by TedoDude on 04-26-2004 at 06:00 PM

Any ideas when this could be active for UK users without patching the MSN exe (which is illegal :S)

And also, as the messenger.msn.com site is now looking like 6.2, when will 6.2 actually be on there? (i know this is in another thread but they sort of tie in)

thanx
:P

RE: MSN 6.2 taking off official site by jren207 on 04-26-2004 at 06:09 PM

What would happen if the custom games location didn't work or was hacked or accidentally removed or something. You wouldn't have any games :O (Can the patch be removed?)

RE: MSN 6.2 taking off official site by CookieRevised on 04-26-2004 at 07:33 PM

* You wouldn't have games also if the site from MSN was down or hacked.... Just the same...

* A patch can always be removed... Reinstalling the program you have patched is the easiest way...

RE: MSN 6.2 taking off official site by jren207 on 04-26-2004 at 07:57 PM

ok i understand now :D
what type of games are available? :P
And how many roughly? :S

RE: MSN 6.2 taking off official site by TedoDude on 04-26-2004 at 08:11 PM

*not about jren207's last comment*

Why have the UK not got games?
When will they have games?
Is it worth patching the exe (illegally) for the games?
Why are Microsoft not giving the UK the games?

Thanx, everyone is so helpful here - I try to be if i can

RE: MSN 6.2 taking off official site by jren207 on 04-26-2004 at 08:37 PM

What TedoDude said about Why are

quote:
Microsoft not giving the UK the games?

This is probably because microsoft is an american company. It does have centres setup in places like the UK but they cant do stuff without american instruction.

They will give people who live in the same country as them special treatment like giving extra games.