Shoutbox

New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions (/showthread.php?tid=24329)

New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by Guido on 04-26-2004 at 11:51 PM

New Yahoo Messenger beta:
[Image: preview_friendslist2.jpg]

[Image: post-8-1082980047.jpg]

http://messenger.yahoo.com

New ICQ Lite 4:
[Image: image17.gif]

[Image: image26.gif]

http://www.icq.com

RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by chungster on 04-27-2004 at 12:11 AM

the new icq looks suprisingly like msn messenger and yahoo looks a lot like aim

RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by lylesback2 on 04-27-2004 at 01:54 AM

display pictures... WOW rip off

RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by martin on 04-27-2004 at 01:58 AM

i tryed the yahoo one last night, seems to have some memory problems, or it could be just me computer

RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by Guido on 04-27-2004 at 03:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lylesback2
yeah, both added DPs and games and other stuff... and convos are surprisingly similar to MSN 6 in both cases.
RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by Wabz on 04-27-2004 at 06:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
yeah, both added DPs and games and other stuff... and convos are surprisingly similar to MSN 6 in both cases.

:dodgy:

Still both of them dont have MsgPlus!  :banana:

RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by martin on 04-27-2004 at 06:03 PM

k, i think thats its yahoo with the memory problems, i only have the problem with it running.  ill post a screeny of me when me gets home.  makes msn look :dodgy:

RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by TedoDude on 04-27-2004 at 06:03 PM

I had a thought about trying it... but

quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
quote:
Originally posted by Guido

:dodgy:

Still both of them dont have MsgPlus!  :banana:

and is there some difference between the sign in's and then I could not contact my Windows Messenger / MSN Messenger "Buddys"?
RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by Triple8 on 04-27-2004 at 11:13 PM

the new yahoo, is much better then the previous version
heres a tour http://messenger.yahoo.com/tour/;_ylt=AvKoxxcSenKm_4807wETLZIO2sEF
The avatars are "moving", i like this part :
"While you're IMing, select an emoticon or type its shortcut, like :-). Your avatar's face will be animated for a few seconds with the new expression. "

RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by Johnny_Mac on 04-27-2004 at 11:20 PM

quote:
We could go around the houses with this TBH.

Yahoo! environments have been ripped by MSN for "backgrounds" have they not?

I think all IM companies are planning on learning what things people like in all the other ones, why not use the same feature if its possible? Sounds like good business sence and not a rip off to me.
RE: RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by Triple8 on 04-28-2004 at 12:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
quote:
Yahoo! environments have been ripped by MSN for "backgrounds" have they not?

No they were there b4
RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by Johnny_Mac on 04-28-2004 at 12:11 AM

Maybe I should re-phrase that?

Yahoo's feature has been taken by Microsoft yes? Yahoo! having backgrounds and the like existed well before MSN 6 was out.

RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by bach_m on 04-28-2004 at 12:13 AM

what? when i used yahoo, (3 yrs ago), they had environments. MSN didn't.

ergo, yahoo environments predate MSN Backgrounds

RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by Johnny_Mac on 04-28-2004 at 12:16 AM

That's what i said, I think Triple8 got confused with the order of words I used.

MSN has "ripped" the use of backgrounds IMO off Yahoo! because of how popular they were and Microsoft's promotion for MSN Messenger 6 was, "a compleletly custom" IM client. :P

To be honest, theres only so much you can do after sending files and chatting. I suppose all the companies are limited to what features they can add.

RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by martin on 04-28-2004 at 12:17 AM

he is saying that msn stole the background idea.
yahoo had the environments longago, then msn put them into msgr 6

RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by Triple8 on 04-28-2004 at 01:18 AM

lol thats what i meant
Yahoo was using those background before msn6 ^^

RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by techtips_forum on 04-28-2004 at 02:20 AM

I hate ICQ i love both MSN 6.2 and Yahoo 6.0

RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by leito on 04-28-2004 at 03:08 AM

Yahoo 6.0 is doing great, no error till know, nice ideas (radio, weather, calendar) (Y) hope they improve the mac version also.

Yahoo messenger disconnect and is not signing in

It works now!

RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by reisyboy on 04-28-2004 at 10:07 AM

I used to like using ICQ as well but i got fed up with the large ammounts of adverts in it really started to tick me off. Espically in the convo window as well.

RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by Wabz on 04-28-2004 at 10:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by reisyboy
I used to like using ICQ as well but i got fed up with the large ammounts of adverts in it really started to tick me off. Espically in the convo window as well.

I used Yahoo messenger a long time before I even had internet at home :P  (My friend did and the school ran it )

When I decided to get the internet Everyone was using MSN so i started and now well I'm here and pretty much know it inside out

RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by Sunshine on 04-28-2004 at 11:14 AM

I like the new yahoo altho couple improvements would be nice.

Im used to personalizing my status on yahoo aswell as i do on msn..shame is theres only two types of emoticons shown for it...online or busy (u only get those two choices when u make new status..i'd like one that says afk)

Also Launchcast isnt very appealing ta me...i started it up when i got the beta version an got message its only a trialversion an u have to pay for it after a certain amount of time (could have been just the station i choose..i dont remember wich one tho). For internetradio i prefer ta use Shoutcast in Winamp.

An yes u can resize the mainscreen but only the width not the hight (shame).

I also didnt find the possibility to safe the contactslist in Yahoo, an ID's i previously deleted apeared again after installing the new Yahoo :(

Currently im using both MSN messenger and Yahoo, but i have to say MSN is my favourite :)

RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by ^_^ on 05-01-2004 at 02:15 AM

yeah cool messengers :)

RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by Sunshine on 05-24-2004 at 06:58 PM

For those that are interested Yahoo 6 is now outta Beta! :D

Go grab it here: http://messenger.yahoo.com/

RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by RebelSean on 05-24-2004 at 07:01 PM

Bout daym time they updated it!! I've had this yahoo one for about a year and a half now!! :D

RE: RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by Sunshine on 05-24-2004 at 07:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
Bout daym time they updated it!! I've had this yahoo one for about a year and a half now!! :D

U could have gotten the Beta version several weeks ago, but today is final release day :D

Since u havent tried the Beta u'll be very surprised ta see how much it changed.
RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by saralk on 05-24-2004 at 08:29 PM

dont u feel sorry for AIM

when they were the industry leaders in the IM market, they were slapped with a sanction dissallowing them from adding any new features, and now look at them

RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by RebelSean on 05-24-2004 at 08:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
U could have gotten the Beta version several weeks ago, but today is final release day

Well I don't look for updates, I like to Auto-Updater things like in Msg Plus!3.0....Anyone I like it a lot :D
RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by Rubber Stamp on 05-25-2004 at 03:35 AM

i cannot login into yahoo after upgrading it to 6.0. can someone help??
PLEASE

RE: New ICQ and Yahoo Messenger versions by Hank on 05-25-2004 at 07:39 AM

did you remove the old yahoo before you installed the new one? if not totally uninstall it an then reinstall the new one, also make sure the C:/program files/Yahoo folder from the old one is deleted before reinstalling the new messenger