Shoutbox

my encrypted log files worked but now they dont - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont (/showthread.php?tid=24342)

my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by her123hcd on 04-27-2004 at 05:44 AM

ya cupple days ago my logg files stoped opening, says im useing the wrong pw but i never changed it. the only thing we did that i can think might have done something is when we encrypted my friends chats under there accounts. ga i relly need thos files! ive read some of the other help on this and from what you guys have said im probily outta luck! :'( thanks tho

RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by her123hcd on 04-28-2004 at 03:20 PM

i really need thos files people, is there nothing i can try?

RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by dotNorma on 05-01-2004 at 02:37 AM

Go to Preferences > Encryption

Now uncheck that box that says : Encrpyt Instant Message Logs

When you click Apply or Ok Messenger Plus! should ask if you would like to un-encrypt your current logs :)

Hope I was a help :)

RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by her123hcd on 05-04-2004 at 08:21 PM

no i tryed that.... its weard for the people i talk to lots i have about 6 difernt files, 2 of witch r dif accounts. i can open to of them but the other to... i dont why not. each one opens with a difrent pw its really f***** so i delited the files i cant open and im curently not making them encrypted. is there any was to murge the two with two differnt passwords with the one without?

RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by kyuubi on 05-06-2004 at 05:46 PM

Help!! Mine too. Till recently it says incorrect pw, but i have not touched them. I really needed those chat logs as they have recorded many important things for the past 2years. I tried your method, it requires a password too. And i entered my usual pw to get incorrect pw.

RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by Msh3ll on 05-09-2004 at 05:57 PM

Mine is currently doing that too.. and I've tried everything possible, even uninstalling everything. I have different logs for the same email addresses, and some of them open with the password i had, and some of them don't. I hope this can be fixed.............!! :)

RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by matty on 05-09-2004 at 07:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NoName
Go to Preferences > Encryption

Now uncheck that box that says : Encrpyt Instant Message Logs

When you click Apply or Ok Messenger Plus! should ask if you would like to un-encrypt your current logs :)

Hope I was a help :)

The logs in no way can be unencrypted. The encryption is a 128bit key Pathou cant even reverse it. Only thing I can suggest is if your friend set a password on his account for his logs is to ask him for it to see if he can open them.

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=24...d=237193#pid237193
RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by matty on 05-09-2004 at 08:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chaos_grenade
The chat log encryption is 128bit? I thought it was 96.

I was talking with Patchou and he said its 128 bit Encryption.
RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by Concord Dawn on 05-09-2004 at 08:42 PM

It's as well encrypted as my Zip files...

RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by her123hcd on 05-23-2004 at 01:18 AM

ive given up ive tryed every thing i could think of, changing the password, not having a password, everything else that was sugested. now i just gave up and delted the ones i couldnt open with any password i had 5 under some peoples names 2 of witch i could not open. is there any way to murge the ones i have left? 1 with one pw, one with anthor and one with none? im really thinging theres a glitch that maybe Patchou should check into if theres others with this problem.
on a dif note hoow do u put passwords on your windows files? could i just put a password on the file my logs are saved in? is there anyway to do that?

sorry for the repeated info from my last post, i fogot i already said it O.o

RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by Kanuck on 05-23-2004 at 08:38 AM

I'm having a similar problem.  Somehow, at some point, some of my logs became encrypted with a password that is not mine.  At one point, I did begin using a different password for things; however, neither of my two passwords, or a blank password, will open these files.  There are no other users on my computer, and the only possible explanation is that Plus! did something wrong and encrypted them with a password I don't know.

Also, disabling encryption as described above doesn't decrypt them, nor does it decrypt logs in the monthly archives.  I'd like to just decrypt everything and go to plain text again, as that seems to cause the least headaches.

RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by her123hcd on 05-27-2004 at 10:03 PM

good to know that im not the only one that had this problem, anyone tell me how to password a file and have no encripted logs in it? is that posible even?

RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by RebelSean on 05-27-2004 at 10:06 PM

If you have a password for a file, then the file is encrypted...I believe

RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by thrasher_maniac on 05-28-2004 at 07:11 PM

i have had the same problem recently. many of my chat logs will not open and say I am entering the wrong password. i thought maybe one of my friends changed the password for encryption, so i put a lock on my preferences so it couldnt happen again and asked everybody who had used my computer if they changed ne thing. they had all said no, but until i read about others with this problem i assumed somebody had done it. possibly there is an error with the Plus encryption? it seems many ppl are having this problem, some of my logs open some dont...

RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by Patchou on 05-29-2004 at 04:49 AM

Hum... could you all, who have problems, send me three of your logs along with your password to mplus@patchou.com ? I'll investigate the problem.

Thanks,
Patchou

RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by FazyRazy on 06-08-2004 at 03:18 AM

mine has been doing the same thing it's either that or I'm putting in a wrong password... I made it simple so I could remember but I can't open any of my encrypted files only occasionally event logs. I don't want to send it to you with out asking so here is

RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by bikefly on 06-11-2004 at 07:10 AM

Help~~~   8o|   :S    me too~~   someone

RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by pharees on 06-11-2004 at 09:46 AM

i am having the same problem but it was working fine untill i upgraded to msgplus3, could there be some kind of bug in it?

RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by quiksilv3r on 06-23-2004 at 05:06 PM

i may be wrong but i ve noticed that most if not all of the encrypted files which have had the passwords change for some reason seem to be those that i view / open while chatting with the person. or something along those lines. maybe someone with the time can check it out.

RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by ranmasword on 06-24-2004 at 06:11 AM

I used to work with msgplus 2.45 and my encrypted files worked perfectly... after i upgraded to the latest version they got all messed up, i got different logs for the same people and the password is now incorrect, even if i didnt change anything!
What can i do to reverse this problem? i cant install the old version due to compatibility with the latest messenger version... what can i do?? nothing works... even decryption software is unable to recover those files... i need them! :'(

RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by bunny on 06-25-2004 at 08:41 AM

I'm also having the same problem. Ever since I've updated to msnplus 3.01 I have also experienced the same problem. :S
When I go to open my encrypted logs I receive a message that my PW is incorrect :@
Like everyone else who has experienced this problem, my password has not change, it's the PW I have always use.
The logs encrypted using the older version 2.45 open up just fine, but the logs created under the new version, there seems to be a problem with the password. I have tried uninstaling and reinstaling the new version and still I experience the same problem with the new logs.
I strongly believe that the problem lies within the programming version and possibly to be more specific within the encryption algorithm.
I hope that the solution can be found for this problem. Thanks in advance. [align=justify]

RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by Dead_1nside on 07-05-2004 at 01:07 AM

I'm having the exact same problem. Was looking into brute forcing it and have made posts to totse.com Tech forum for help. But to no avail. I had a 15-character long password, consisiting of alpha-numerical strings and special characters....I'm pretty f**ked eh? Please Patchou come up with a solution to this problem which is obviously a software side bug.

RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by bunny_lover on 07-08-2004 at 06:58 AM

read the response from patchou on this link:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=27...d=268924#pid268924

we'll just have to wait till the new version comes out.
And thanks to patchou and my beautiful little bunny, who introduced me to msn plus... love u baby....

RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by Broken_Hope on 07-15-2004 at 08:56 AM

Ok, this is fucking bullshit.!:@ I've tried everything i can, i havent changed my password and it doesnt work, I tried uninstalling it like 4 times thinking it wil let me start fresh but when i reinstall it, it makes it completely worse, puts a different password on it so i can't evn access the files i could. I need the files. This is complete bullshit. If msn is going to make good features they should make sure they don't fuck up in the future and piss people right off!:@

~*Mel*~

RE: my encrypted log files worked but now they dont by her123hcd on 09-02-2004 at 06:41 AM

thanks patchou and every one else that showed me i wasnt just a dumb f*ck. i hope you do manage to fix it when 3.10 comes out... when is that ment to be out anyways?