Shoutbox

MSN Messenger 6.2 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: MSN Messenger 6.2 (/showthread.php?tid=24348)

MSN Messenger 6.2 by BiZaRrE on 04-27-2004 at 09:13 AM

can anyone please link/attach (attach would be better) the msn messenger 6.2 OR 6.1 file.  I tried installing 6.2, but when signing in it just hangs and closes automatically.  I already removed all plugins (except for messenger plus! [2.54.75]), but it still crashes.  I tried restarting my computer after installing it, but it still had the same problem.

I am using Windows XP Proffesional.

Thanks!

RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Sunshine on 04-27-2004 at 09:21 AM

Try uninstalling MSN messenger, reboot then install MSN messenger again (some things wont be getten rid off till reboot)..after installing messenger u can patch it up an install the plugins again (if neccesary).

An ohh yeah: if u safe the installationfile of MSN messenger to ur computer first (before installing) it will safe u lookin for it everytime....availability on all known MSN sites ;)

RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by BiZaRrE on 04-27-2004 at 09:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
An ohh yeah: if u safe the installationfile of MSN messenger to ur computer first (before installing) it will safe u lookin for it everytime
yeah thats what i did:)
anyway, even AFTER un-installing plus! then rebooting then installing msn 6.2 then rebooting, it doesn't work...it still crashes halfway through the signing in (i.e. abt 10 seconds AFTER typing in my e-mail/password and clicking OK)

so if someone can attach the 6.2 file that works....or the 6.1 file would also be good!(Y)
please help!
RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Capo on 04-27-2004 at 09:38 AM

Download either from here
http://www.mess.be

RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by BiZaRrE on 04-27-2004 at 09:53 AM

i know about that site, but i can't find the 6.1 client over there...only 6.0, and i would like to have the 6.2 or 6.1 client.

RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Mnjul on 04-27-2004 at 10:06 AM

I have completely the same problem :-/ (It says memory cannot be read or something... 0x0047da09 command or so)
Uninstalling Plus! does not help in any bit, I'm going to try to find which program is causing the problem but I don't think I have such luck...

Running MSN Messenger 6.2.0133 under Windows Server 2003.

RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Sunshine on 04-27-2004 at 10:07 AM

Bizarre here's another tip:
Don't throw away the installationfile for an older version before u know for sure the new one works ;)

I don't know where else to get older versions of messenger besides on mess.be....i'll try attach mine to this post (the working 6.2 one) :) If this doesnt work let me know...i still have the 6.1 too.

EDIT: Hmm, looks like the attachment didnt upload rite..sorry :(

RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Sunshine on 04-27-2004 at 10:12 AM

Mnjul: I have no idea what causes that problem..sounds like a corrupted installationfile or something....im using msn messenger 6.2 on winxp pro an have no probs at all.

RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by BiZaRrE on 04-27-2004 at 10:14 AM

quote:
Bizarre here's another tip:
Don't throw away the installationfile for an older version before u know for sure the new one works;)
I don't know where else to get older versions of messenger besides on mess.be....i'll try attach mine to this post (the working 6.2 one):)If this doesnt work let me know...i still have the 6.1 too.
Yeah, I just thought of that when 6.2 wouldn't work and tried to kick myself in the head! and thanks heaps if you can get either the 6.2 or 6.1!:D

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
I have completely the same problem :undecided: (It says memory cannot be read or something... 0x0047da09 command or so)

hm...i just get error reporting, except for once when there was an error msg but msn crashed quickly before i could read/take a screenshot of it.

btw, here's a screenshot of the error reporting thing i get everytime..

RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Capo on 04-27-2004 at 10:21 AM

Ive uploaded 6.2 and ile leave it up for a cupple of hours while you download it.

http://www.capouk.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/SetupDl.exe

Why carnt you just use the offical site?
http://messenger.msn.com/

RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by BiZaRrE on 04-27-2004 at 10:27 AM

thanks Capo, but i get the same problem, except that now it doesn't show any error message, it just crashes and closes.

EDIT: at this point i think that msn messenger 6.2 just won't work on my computer for some reason:undecided: so if anyone could give me a download link/attachmaent file to 6.1 that would be great!:)

EDIT2:

quote:
Originally posted by Capo
Why carnt you just use the offical site?
http://messenger.msn.com
i can't because for some weird reason 6.2 won't let me sign in on this computer:S

RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Mnjul on 04-27-2004 at 10:33 AM

BiZaRrE:
The questions I'm asking you of are strange... and even not related to our problem but oh well, who knows :S
1. Do you use UxTheme patch?
2. What display adapter/driver do you use?
3. Do you have Google Deskbar installed?
4. What antivirus software/firewall software do you use?

RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by BiZaRrE on 04-27-2004 at 10:39 AM

quote:
BiZaRrE:
The questions I'm asking you of are strange... and even not related to our problem but oh well, who knows:S
1. Do you use UxTheme patch?
2. What display adapter/driver do you use?
3. Do you have Google Deskbar installed?
4. What antivirus software/firewall software do you use?
1. No.
2. um....not sure:undecided::huh:.
3. I use the google toolbar for internet explorer.
4. Norton anti-virus 2003.

EDIT: So does that help Mnjul? Also, if anyone at all can give a link/attachment to download msn messenger 6.1, it would be greatly appreciated!
RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by reisyboy on 04-27-2004 at 12:05 PM

Do what i do when ive had this problem before. Download the MSN 6.2 file and then open it in WinRAR for example and extract the contents of the msi file :)

[Image: attachment.php?pid=233704]

RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by BaBy on 04-27-2004 at 12:09 PM

http://www.msnmessenger-download.com

This site still has 6.1 for now

RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by BiZaRrE on 04-28-2004 at 08:00 AM

BaBy: The site you gave me has 6.2, not 6.1...
reisyboy: open the 6.2 file with winrar....then what??

isn't there a 6.1 file out there....somewhere??:'(
cos i've given up on 6.2, no matter where i get it from, it just won't work on my computer:S

EDIT: can someone pls use kazaa, kazaa lite, imesh or a similar program to download the installation file for msn messenger 6.1 then upload it here as an attachment? cos my dad won't allow me to download because of it being illegal:P...so if someone could that would be really great!:)

RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Wabz on 04-28-2004 at 09:34 AM

I don't know whats Wrong I orginally installed messenger 6.2 when it was supposedly leaked !  Nothing was wrong

Now I try to install it and it won't work :dodgy:

RE: RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Sunshine on 04-28-2004 at 09:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
I don't know whats Wrong I orginally installed messenger 6.2 when it was supposedly leaked !  Nothing was wrong

Now I try to install it and it won't work :dodgy:

Try choose the uninstall option first time u run the installation for 6.2 instead of repair (if thats what u did), then reboot and reinstall 6.2 (it's what i did..thoughts behind it: not knowing where and what the bugs were its safest to reinstall completely... i had the 6.2 aswell that was released on thursday).

Good luck!
RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by reisyboy on 04-28-2004 at 09:45 AM

Oki if you openup 6.2 in winrar you extract all the contents o the MSI file and then they are the 6.2 files you wanted, to overwrite the 6.1's. Or however you need them :)

RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Mnjul on 04-28-2004 at 10:24 AM

reisy: When we run and sign in MSN Messenger it crashes :-/

Sunshine: What you suggested didn't work:(

wabz: completely same :dodgy:

RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by BiZaRrE on 04-28-2004 at 10:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by reisyboy
Anyway you can still obtaint 6.1 from microsoft here
Click Here
Thanks reisy!!!! although it was 6.1 beta and had to upgrade it...THANKS!!:D:D:D
hooray, i can now sign in...and use 6.1..rather than gay old crappy windows messenger:D:D!!
anyway the difference between 6.1and 6.2 isn't that big right?

hm....although i really wonder what's wrong with 6.2....:S
btw, im using a fake version of win xp pro...so at first i thought that could be the problem...but i dunno:P

If any MS staff r reading this.....FIX 6.2...NOW!!! cos lots of people have problems with it!
RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Mnjul on 04-28-2004 at 10:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BiZaRrE
btw, im using a fake version of win xp pro...so at first i thought that could be the problem...but i dunno
My Windows Server 2003 is purely legal :P

Did you install the leaked version like I and wabz did?
RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Wabz on 04-28-2004 at 10:36 AM

quote:
btw, im using a fake version of win xp pro...so at first i thought that could be the problem...but i dunno

What you mean Fake?  You could be using a modified version with some dodgy effects

I use a Windows 2000 and my copys sort of Legal :)  (it isnt installed on another machine anyways) 

and I just noticed the leaked version of 6.2 and the official version have the same Version number :dodgy:

RE: RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by matty on 04-28-2004 at 10:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
quote:

What you mean Fake?  You could be using a modified version with some dodgy effects

I use a Windows 2000 and my copys sort of Legal :)  (it isnt installed on another machine anyways) 

and I just noticed the leaked version of 6.2 and the official version have the same Version number :dodgy:

He means the Corp version that was out 5 months before XP was, it had the first my letters of the COA FCKGW. It also doesn't have SP1 :)
RE: RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Sunshine on 04-28-2004 at 11:39 AM

quote:
Sunshine: What you suggested didn't work:(

It was worth a try, i never had any probs with messenger 6.2 not with the leaked one an not with the official one..i got the official one thru mess.be (direct dl link in dwergs newspost). So i dont know why its not working for u cuz we both had the leaked one before the official one...could it be a bug slipped into the official one u dl-ed?
RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Kryptonate on 04-28-2004 at 11:49 AM

Mnjul, you can try to uncheck everything in your startup folder (start-->run-->msconfig) (except for like your AV and/or firewall, you can choose) and reboot. Then start msn 6.2 and see if it works, then check one additional program to start when windows starts, reboot and check msn 6.2 again and go on till you come up with something (or nothing at the end)

RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Mnjul on 04-28-2004 at 11:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
. Then start msn 6.2 and see if it works, then check one additional program to start when windows starts, reboot and check msn 6.2 again and go on till you come up with something (or nothing at the end)

Thanks for that and...I had already tried it when I posted yesterday;) Obviously it didn't work :dodgy: Cleaning the whole Messenger registry doesn't seem to help either :S

And Sunshine, I did download the file from Micro$oft's server. And yeah, I have tried re-downloading for times:)
RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Kryptonate on 04-28-2004 at 12:24 PM

quote:
I had already tried it when I posted yesterday
didn't know that, sorry.

Make sure everythins is updated and if it doesn't work you can go back too 6.1 and wait till the next release of a build 6.2, perhaps it will be solved by then :-/.
RE: RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Sunshine on 04-28-2004 at 12:34 PM

quote:
And Sunshine, I did download the file from Micro$oft's server. And yeah, I have tried re-downloading for times:)

Bah then i dunno anymore..im outta ideas what could be causing it :(

I assume u done everything possible already..from virusscan to adware/spywarescan and cleanin up the registry.

Last option i can think of is go back to rite after u installed the leaked 6.2 (dunno what the bugs inthere are tho an what they do) with systemrestore.
RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Anubis on 04-28-2004 at 01:39 PM

quote:
Last option i can think of is go back to rite after u installed the leaked 6.2 (dunno what the bugs inthere are tho an what they do) with systemrestore.
Just a note. That would only be if he had made a restore point before...unfortunately I can't see it cleaning up bugs from personal experience I haven't got very good results with it...disk images are far better...but I doubt there is one
RE: RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Sunshine on 04-28-2004 at 05:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
quote:
Just a note. That would only be if he had made a restore point before...unfortunately I can't see it cleaning up bugs from personal experience I haven't got very good results with it...disk images are far better...but I doubt there is one

Agreed, kinda silly of me to assume he made a restorepoint (maybe its cuz i always do before installing anything...happend several times that i just didnt like the change and had to go back further then necessary with systemrestore resulting in havin to reinstall several other programs too) an nope it wont clean up bugs (maybe the ones gotten after that point but im not too sure bout that either..in this case it mite work) it just puts it back to what it was before.. making a diskimage is a good idea but have u found a program that makes an accurate image of the OS including hidden settings? I got several programs that make diskimages but i dont think it does the OS correctly (and to be frank i'm too scared to try it cuz if it gets buggered up it means reformating an installing everything from scratch wich takes ages :()
RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by tomfletcherman on 04-28-2004 at 05:40 PM

Official release isn't out is it?

RE: RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Sunshine on 04-28-2004 at 05:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tomfletcherman
Official release isn't out is it?

Official release of 6.2 is out since monday :)
RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Lt.Col.DraGon on 04-28-2004 at 06:52 PM

its the same as thursday's msn i dont find any difference on thursday's and monday's msn...

RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Kryptonate on 04-28-2004 at 07:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lt.Col.DraGon
its the same as thursday's msn i dont find any difference on thursday's and monday's msn...
they withdrew msn 6.2 on Thursday because of the bugs that were found and they would release it again when it these bugs were solved so it's normal you don't see anything changed. But it is strange they didn't gave it another buildnumber.
RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Mnjul on 04-29-2004 at 12:22 PM

OK, now I get it working...
What I did was so "violent":

1. Uninstall MSN Messenger.
  2. If there is msiexec.exe left in your process (I don't know why but Windows X's installer seems not to exit properly), kill it.
  3. Locate HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSNMessenger and delete the whole subkey
  4. Locate HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger, as well delete the whole subkey
  5. Locate Application Data\Microsoft, and delete the whole MSN Messenger directory.
  6. Install and sign in.

Yep that means all your Messenger settings, including Display Pictures, Backgrounds, Custom Emoticons...etc WILL VANISH.

I bet that not every of the steps above is necessary but you may just try it...:)
RE: MSN Messenger 6.2 by Mnjul on 04-30-2004 at 05:06 PM

The latest workaround is here: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=24...d=235458#pid235458