Shoutbox

Inquisitive old me - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Inquisitive old me (/showthread.php?tid=24450)

Inquisitive old me by dotNorma on 04-29-2004 at 12:16 AM

Well I've been thinking and It came to mind...

How did the old NES Duckhunt Game work

You had to hook up the gun controller thing and aim it at the ducks on the screen. But my question is , If the TV is just the same old TV how did it know where the gun was being aimed at on the screen?

I wants to knows , it would be interesting to find out how.  :-/

RE: Inquisitive old me by bach_m on 04-29-2004 at 12:31 AM

IIRC, it worked by shooting a laser beam at the TV, and (from what i learnt in Pysics), the beam would bounce back to the gun, and it would figure out what was going on.

RE: Inquisitive old me by ddunk on 04-29-2004 at 01:20 AM

Hmm... interesting question, I just wanna know what made you think about it :P

quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
the beam would bounce back to the gun

I wonder if it has to be a reflective suface like glass, or if you hooked the NES up to a projector and played if it would work if you played it off a wall.

RE: Inquisitive old me by dotNorma on 04-29-2004 at 01:29 AM

quote:
IIRC, it worked by shooting a laser beam at the TV, and (from what i learnt in Pysics), the beam would bounce back to the gun, and it would figure out what was going on.

I don't think so. Because (from what I learnt from Physhics) the beam will bounce back to the gun at the perfect angle type type thing. So no matter where you aimed the gun it still would pick the laser up the same.
RE: Inquisitive old me by bach_m on 04-29-2004 at 02:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NoName

I don't think so. Because (from what I learnt from Physhics) the beam will bounce back to the gun at the perfect angle type type thing. So no matter where you aimed the gun it still would pick the laser up the same.

exactly. but the beam would act differently depending on what colors it hit...... or something.

i dont really kno. :google:?
RE: Inquisitive old me by WDZ on 04-29-2004 at 03:46 AM

lol... I wondered that too, but never thought of researching it... :p

* WDZ does some Googling...

quote:
How does the Nintendo Duck Hunt work?

A: The Nintendo Zapper Gun, also remembered fondly as the Duck Hunt gun, isn't really a gun, it's a photoelectric sensor that detects the light given off by the TV. When you pull the trigger on the gun, the Nintendo system tells the TV to momentarily replace the ducks with white rectangles. If you go back and play the game again, you'll notice that the screen flashes momentarily when you pull the trigger. If the gun happened to be pointing at a duck at that specific moment, the sensor in the gun transmits to the NES that it had a white rectangle in its field of view, which the game registers as a hit. In the oldest models of the gun, you could simply point the gun at a light bulb and make a direct hit every time. Later versions of the gun corrected the problem by having the screen flash completely black, then with white triangles, then black again. The gun was programmed to recognize "black, white, black" as a direct hit. This system used by the Zapper, which is known as a light gun, was also used in arcade games.
Cool! 8-|
RE: RE: Inquisitive old me by .blade// on 04-29-2004 at 04:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
lol... I wondered that too, but never thought of researching it... :p

* WDZ does some Googling...

quote:
How does the Nintendo Duck Hunt work?

A: The Nintendo Zapper Gun, also remembered fondly as the Duck Hunt gun, isn't really a gun, it's a photoelectric sensor that detects the light given off by the TV. When you pull the trigger on the gun, the Nintendo system tells the TV to momentarily replace the ducks with white rectangles. If you go back and play the game again, you'll notice that the screen flashes momentarily when you pull the trigger. If the gun happened to be pointing at a duck at that specific moment, the sensor in the gun transmits to the NES that it had a white rectangle in its field of view, which the game registers as a hit. In the oldest models of the gun, you could simply point the gun at a light bulb and make a direct hit every time. Later versions of the gun corrected the problem by having the screen flash completely black, then with white triangles, then black again. The gun was programmed to recognize "black, white, black" as a direct hit. This system used by the Zapper, which is known as a light gun, was also used in arcade games.
Cool! 8-|

Does this mean it would work with projectors or Plasma/LCD screens? ^o) :o
RE: Inquisitive old me by bach_m on 04-29-2004 at 10:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gigablade77
Does this mean it would work with projectors or Plasma/LCD screens? ^o) :o

prolly.

it worked with a light bulb, didn't it?
RE: Inquisitive old me by Mippo on 04-29-2004 at 11:08 AM

I'm not sure about projector screens, because those aren't direct light sources, but reflect the light of the projector. But plasma/LCD screens should work, I think... :-/

RE: Inquisitive old me by Wabz on 04-29-2004 at 02:58 PM

Hahaha thats way cool !!

I always wanted to know how that worked :banana:

RE: Inquisitive old me by dotNorma on 04-29-2004 at 09:29 PM

Today I was thinking out of the box and I thought....what if there was another color?

Not the colors like we invent everyday that are different tones of colors and mixtures of colors , but an original color like orange or green. A color that wasnt in anyway toned or something to a certain color and what would it look like? Of course its impossible to imagin because any color we think of will have just be a color weve seen. It would be something totally different never seen before.

RE: Inquisitive old me by jren207 on 04-29-2004 at 10:16 PM

A colour with all the colours in it so whichever way you look at it it shows alsorts of colours?

(colour/color - I live in tht place called UK where we spell it like c.o.l.o.u.r :P )

RE: Inquisitive old me by dotNorma on 04-29-2004 at 11:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jren207
A colour with all the colours in it so whichever way you look at it it shows alsorts of colours?

Erm no not really :-/ Since black is a color made up of all the colors. It is made up of all the light color type stuff (Im no good at explaining it but I know it)
RE: Inquisitive old me by Jeronimo on 04-29-2004 at 11:22 PM

The trouble is visible light is made up of red, green and blue. So a new colour would mean changing the fundamentals of the universe.

Btw, black is made up of none of the colours. White is made up of red, blue and green in equal amounts. Yellow is made up of green and red, cyan...etc etc :)

RE: Inquisitive old me by dotNorma on 04-29-2004 at 11:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
Btw, black is made up of none of the colours. White is made up of red, blue and green in equal amounts.

I thought it was vice versa
RE: Inquisitive old me by Jeronimo on 04-29-2004 at 11:33 PM

quote:
quote:
Btw, black is made up of none of the colours. White is made up of red, blue and green in equal amounts.

I thought it was vice versa
Nope. You can try this at home with some lamps and some coloured gels. Amaze your friends by mixing red and green and making yellow. Just be careful not to stare into the light :P

RE: Inquisitive old me by .blade// on 04-29-2004 at 11:39 PM

quote:
The trouble is visible light is made up of red, green and blue. So a new colour would mean changing the fundamentals of the universe.

Well no problem. Why don't we just get patchou to write a porgram to edit the threads of the Space/Time continum? :o I mean that shouldn't take long...It would be called Universe Plus! ;) :lol:
RE: Inquisitive old me by dotNorma on 04-30-2004 at 12:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gigablade77
Well no problem. Why don't we just get patchou to write a porgram to edit the threads of the Space/Time continum? :o I mean that shouldn't take long...It would be called Universe Plus! ;) :lol:

Yah , I can imagine....

Universe Plus! 3.45 Updated
Well guys , I fixed the bug that would virtually freeze time if you edited the virtual time continual vortex in the southern section of the universe. Also I've added a sponsor program , It will add ads in all white vortexes. Thanks for the support.
RE: Inquisitive old me by BooGhost on 04-30-2004 at 12:16 AM

quote:
edited the virtual time continual vortex in the southern section of the universe. Also I've added a sponsor program , It will add ads in all white vortexes. Thanks
I could beta test it :D
RE: Inquisitive old me by dotNorma on 04-30-2004 at 12:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BooGhost
I could beta test it

Yah, I can imagine. Any bugs and our universe would come to an end :tongue:

RE: Inquisitive old me by .blade// on 04-30-2004 at 12:31 AM

Ya! lol

Universe Plus! v0.72 revision b
Sorry to the Beta Testers that died :( I wasn't aware of the bug that would randomly create a black hole in front of you. I'm 99.9% sure it's fixed now!

In other news - I've added the ability to fly like those guys on DBZ and I added 3 new species of animals! I also brought some of the dinosaurs back!!

I fixed the bugs enabling often Alien abductions...sorry to those testers put through alien experiments!

-Patchou

:P ;)

:lol: :refuck:

RE: Inquisitive old me by Jordan2004 on 05-01-2004 at 04:12 PM

lol :P

Wouldn't it be so strange if the world was powered by software we could actually edit?

RE: Inquisitive old me by saralk on 05-01-2004 at 10:45 PM

that'd be cool, there wud b 2 worlds, the open source world, and the closed source world
And in windows everything worked, and if u did something wrong, u cud go back, and system restore. but in linux people would have modded it so much, you could fly around, but ud die a lot and restart randlomly

RE: Inquisitive old me by bach_m on 05-01-2004 at 10:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
but ud die a lot and restart randlomly

only if u were an idiot......

* bach_m sees where this is going.
RE: Inquisitive old me by BooGhost on 05-04-2004 at 02:37 AM

quote:
* bach_m sees where this is going.
ME TOO :D