Shoutbox

advertisemnts still on! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: advertisemnts still on! (/showthread.php?tid=24576)

advertisemnts still on! by vvvv on 05-01-2004 at 11:04 AM

hey
a bug is previously reported  where the advertisements are still being displayed despite choosing not to install the sponsor program during installation and turning on the "hide advertisement banner" tab
the version being used of msn messenger being used is 6.2.0133.
messenger plus version is 2.54.75
windows version = windows xp
a suggestion was made earlier to uncheck the the "enable third party extensions" in the internet options tab
this too did not hide advertisements!
wat can be done to hide the advertisements which appear at the bottom of the msn messenger main window?

RE: advertisemnts still on! by GiantSpider on 05-01-2004 at 11:07 AM

The sponser program is differnet from the advert bar at the bottom. Try re-starting MSN Messenger.

RE: advertisemnts still on! by Anubis on 05-01-2004 at 11:16 AM

Try uninstalling Plus! and MSN Messenger...then re-installing them both...then hide the advertisement banner again

RE: advertisemnts still on! by Kryptonate on 05-01-2004 at 11:42 AM

first of all, like Giantspider said, the sponsor program has nothing to do with the advertisements being shown at the main page of your msn messenger.
secondly, if you checked "Hide advertisement banner" you shouldn't see it anymore. If you still see it I suggest you to uninstall plus!, reboot and reinstall plus! and see if it works now.

RE: advertisemnts still on! by CookieRevised on 05-01-2004 at 11:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vvvv
hey
a bug is previously reported  where the advertisements are still being displayed despite choosing not to install the sponsor program during installation and turning on the "hide advertisement banner" tab. The version being used of msn messenger is 6.2.0133.
You're talking about two different things...
The advertisement on the bottom in MSN Messenger has nothing to do with Messenger Plus, nor with the sponsor of Messenger Plus... It's a banner from Microsoft itself...

Messenger Plus has an option to hide this banner. And the bug that was reported was that the advertising wasn't hidden correctly in MSN Messenger 6.2 by Messenger Plus v2.54.74. So that is one of the fixes that the new Messenger Plus v2.54.75 has... Again, this has nothing todo with the sponsor...

quote:
a suggestion was made earlier to uncheck the the "enable third party extensions" in the internet options tab. This too did not hide advertisements!
I dunno who made the suggestion to uncheck the "enable third party extensions" in the internet options tab. But that has even less to do with this. That's an option for Internet Explorer, not for MSN Messenger...

quote:
hey
wat can be done to hide the advertisements which appear at the bottom of the msn messenger main window?
Simple go to the preferences of Messenger Plus:
check "Plus! > Preferences > Contact list > Hide the advertisement banner"
RE: advertisemnts still on! by gliazzurra on 05-09-2004 at 10:59 AM

hey guys..
i have the exact same problem.. msn messenger 6.2.0133, and msg plus 2.54.75
but the ad is still on at the bottom of the main window..
i tried uninstalling both msn messenger and msg plus, reboot, and re-install both of them, but the problem still exists.. it starts to annoy me really.. any suggestions?

RE: advertisemnts still on! by Anubis on 05-09-2004 at 11:20 AM

In the Main Messenger Window click Plus! > Preferences > Contact List and then make sure this option is checked;
[Image: attachment.php?pid=240342]

RE: advertisemnts still on! by gliazzurra on 05-09-2004 at 11:27 AM

@anubis
of course i have done that.. it worked very well with msn messenger 6.1 (b4 i upgraded to 6.2)

this is the main window, look at the bottom part:
[Image: msn.jpg]

help plz..

RE: advertisemnts still on! by matty on 05-09-2004 at 04:12 PM

Why don't you all wait until Messenger Plus! 3 is released then try that, Patchou wont make anymore updates to Messenger Plus! 2 other then making 6.2 Compatible. I use Plus!3 and Messenger 6.2 and have yet to experience this. So lets all just wait a few days or weeks until Plus! 3 is out then see if it works.

Try this tho

Start > Run > regedit.exe

+ Beside Hkey_Current_User
+ Beside Software
+ Beside Patchou
+ Beside MsgPlus2
+ Beside %YourEmail%
Click On Preferences
Double Click on ShowBanner and make sure its set to 0

You can try deleting the Nobody key (that is created when no contact is signed in.)

Or you can sign out and set Hide the Banner when nobody is signed in and see if that works... (In less confusing terms... Log out and hide the banner see if that works.)

RE: advertisemnts still on! by Anubis on 05-09-2004 at 04:35 PM

That ad looks like it doesn't quite fit properly...it goes into the contact window and the options box where it shouldn't...either it's been badly photoshoped and you're having us on or you have had a bad patch for the main .exe file...

RE: advertisemnts still on! by CookieRevised on 05-09-2004 at 05:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
That ad looks like it doesn't quite fit properly...it goes into the contact window and the options box where it shouldn't...either it's been badly photoshoped and you're having us on or you have had a bad patch for the main .exe file...
Nothing of that...... It is Messenger Plus! that 1) modifies your contactlist window and 2) removes the banner.... part 1 worked because the bottom bar is very small, but part 2 the removing of the picturecontrol for the banner isn't...
RE: advertisemnts still on! by MC Inferno on 05-09-2004 at 06:54 PM

If y'all despirate, theres other patches that have the ad-remover included. you might wanna try that. I'd offer a few examples, but I cant remember any :P haha

RE: advertisemnts still on! by gliazzurra on 05-10-2004 at 09:06 AM

@Matty.
I try logging off, and the ad is gone, but if i sign in again, then it will be there.. my guess is it has something to do with the tabs.. i used to have only one extra tab, which is the one with bell icon, but somehow the other 3 emerged out of nowhere and i cant get rid of them :(
I also tried regedit.exe, the showbanner is 0, and i even tried removing the nobody key, but still it wont work..
thanks for the suggestion tho.. :)

RE: advertisemnts still on! by CookieRevised on 05-10-2004 at 09:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gliazzurra
@Matty.
I try logging off, and the ad is gone, but if i sign in again, then it will be there.. my guess is it has something to do with the tabs.. i used to have only one extra tab, which is the one with bell icon, but somehow the other 3 emerged out of nowhere and i cant get rid of them :(
I also tried regedit.exe, the showbanner is 0, and i even tried removing the nobody key, but still it wont work..
thanks for the suggestion tho.. :)
The contactlist window is a different window then the signin window. On the signin window there isn't a banner IIRC. This has nothing todo with the tabs...

Those other 3 tabs, if they include a tab of Messenger Plus!, then they emerged because you installed the Custom Games Patch... If the Messenger Plus! tab isn't there and they are 3 tabs from microsoft related material then Microsoft decided to add those tabs for your local region you're in.

Regedit wont do a thing for the banner. The banner is an object, like the list is an object, the menu is an object, your screenname is an object, etc..., heck every piece of the window is an object. And every object has a internal name. Plus! normaly removes that object where the banner is shown from the contactlist. But because of an error (or a namechange of that object done by microsoft) Plus! couldn't find that object to remove. This is fixed in Messenger Plus! 3 for as far as I can reproduce it.
RE: advertisemnts still on! by gliazzurra on 05-10-2004 at 11:27 AM

ic.. i guess i'll have to wait for Plus! 3 release.. thanx a lot..!! :)

RE: RE: advertisemnts still on! by Tarry on 05-10-2004 at 08:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gliazzurra
ic.. i guess i'll have to wait for Plus! 3 release.. thanx a lot..!! :)

Actually I have last Plus! 3 Transbeta (cuz I'm a translator) and there's still da bug.