Shoutbox

Change the browser - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Change the browser (/showthread.php?tid=24579)

Change the browser by ChromeX on 05-01-2004 at 11:47 AM

hi, is there a way to make the MSN open the hotmail mail box in Mozilla instead of IE, since my default browser is mozilla

RE: Change the browser by Tochjo on 05-01-2004 at 11:55 AM

Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to do this.

RE: Change the browser by ChromeX on 05-01-2004 at 12:03 PM

maybe any patch that makes it :(

RE: Change the browser by ChromeX on 05-01-2004 at 12:16 PM

i hope so, because i use IE only for MSN otherwise i'll uninstall the IE

RE: Change the browser by Tochjo on 05-01-2004 at 12:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ChromeX
i'll uninstall the IE
Good luck with that. I believe MSN Messenger needs Internet Explorer for some actions, and uninstalling it from Windows is very hard...
RE: Change the browser by Sunshine on 05-01-2004 at 12:35 PM

Don't uninstall IE, messenger definatly needs it..i tried it by blockin IE in my firewall...one thing it will cause is  pages not loading up when clickin on a thread in a tab (u get message: page unavailable).

Im one that wanted to get rid of IE aswell but didnt cuz of msn messenger..now i also found that some things wont work in the browser i normally use (MyIE) i see IE as a addition to use when the regular one fails :D

Edit: I've set MyIE as my default browser aswell but still everything opened in msn messenger opens in IE...just like Choli said with some browsers u can with others u can't.

RE: Change the browser by Choli on 05-01-2004 at 12:36 PM

ChromeX: what windows do you have? If you have XP + SP1, you can go to add/remove programs and select mozilla as the befault browser. Doing that Messenger will open links in mozilla. If that doesn't work, try reinstalling mozilla. I'm sure messenger can open links in mozilla (i say this because that can't be done, for example, in avant). My personal experience is: If I set mozilla as default browser, messenger opens links in it, if i set avant as default one, messenger uses IE to open links.

btw, don't uninstall IE.

RE: Change the browser by RaceProUK on 05-01-2004 at 01:23 PM

Links in conversation windows will open in your default browser (mine is Mozilla 1.7rc1 right now). However, when clicking the toasts, Messenger still opens IE: for example, opening your e-mail inbox.

Depending on how Messenger launches IE, it may be possible to intercept the call (in a not too dissimilar way Plus! intercepts messages in conversation windows possibly) and redirect it to your default browser. It is possible in unofficial clients, like aMSN, to use any browser you wish to open your inbox, but the official client, being MS, launches IE. If anyone can write a small app to change this, I for one will be happy to test it.

RE: Change the browser by ChromeX on 05-01-2004 at 02:31 PM

@Choli: i have XP Pro without any SP, and my default browser is Mozilla 1.7 RC1, but the Messenger still continues to open the mail box in IE :(

RE: Change the browser by Jordan2004 on 05-01-2004 at 03:16 PM

I highly recommend against trying to uninstall Internet Explorer, some files are used in many (usually Microsoft) applications, including some other web browser. For example: MyIE uses the Internet Explorer core I believe.

RE: Change the browser by ChromeX on 05-01-2004 at 03:19 PM

i'm nt gonna uninstall it, i just want to avoid to use IE...

RE: Change the browser by Kryptonate on 05-01-2004 at 03:33 PM

IE is to much implemented into Windows to uninstall it easily :-/.

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Im one that wanted to get rid of IE aswell but didnt cuz of msn messenger..now i also found that some things wont work in the browser i normally use (MyIE) i see IE as a addition to use when the regular one fails
MyIE is based on IE and needs it to work properly I thought.

quote:
@Choli: i have XP Pro without any SP, and my default browser is Mozilla 1.7 RC1, but the Messenger still continues to open the mail box in IE
have you updated your Windows? Because normally it needs an SP or at least it is much safer and less buggy :-/.

I don't believe there is a way to let msn messenger open your hotmail inbox with another browser than IE. If there is then it's not verry healthy for your Windows I think.
RE: Change the browser by CookieRevised on 05-01-2004 at 03:36 PM

similar thread with more discussions about the default browser in MSN:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=20330

RE: Change the browser by Choli on 05-01-2004 at 03:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
@Choli: i have XP Pro without any SP, and my default browser is Mozilla 1.7 RC1, but the Messenger still continues to open the mail box in IE

--------

have you updated your Windows? Because normally it needs an SP or at least it is much safer and less buggy
yep, install SP1 and try again ;) that  would solve the problem.
use your IE to go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and update it :P
RE: Change the browser by Kryptonate on 05-01-2004 at 03:45 PM

or http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

RE: Change the browser by RaceProUK on 05-01-2004 at 03:53 PM

Updating Windows will NOT cause Messenger to open your mailbox in any browser other than IE. This is because, while links are passed to the default browser (just like opening an HTML file on your drive), Messenger uses IE directly to launch the mailbox i.e. you cannot change that behaviour without hacking the Messenger executable (highly dangerous and illegal) or hooking (difficult, but possible: take Plus! as an example).

EDIT: My XP PC is fully up-to-date. SP1 is just bugfixes and security updates, and while IE is a Windows compnent, Messenger is not, and is therefore not updated by Windows Update.

RE: Change the browser by Kryptonate on 05-01-2004 at 04:04 PM

I said to update for security risks and to solve bugs, I agree it won't solve the problem but it might solve other problems he might have or just to make his computer more secure.

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
SP1 is just bugfixes and security updates
"just"? that's the idea behind SP's :-/. And with all the attacks Windows gets it's highly advisable to update your Windows once and a while.
RE: Change the browser by RaceProUK on 05-01-2004 at 04:16 PM

That's why I have Windows Update turned on.

Anyway, I have started another thread (which I hope will become a sticky) so that we don't keep getting people asking about this, unless they have something useful to provide (like a solution).
The thread is here: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=24594

RE: RE: Change the browser by Sunshine on 05-01-2004 at 04:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Im one that wanted to get rid of IE aswell but didnt cuz of msn messenger..now i also found that some things wont work in the browser i normally use (MyIE) i see IE as a addition to use when the regular one fails
MyIE is based on IE and needs it to work properly I thought.

Thanks Kryptonate for telling me that..but this was merely an addition to what was said before...MyIE works fine (there are still some sites that require IE to work therefor i can't use MyIE on those an im glad i didnt get rid of IE..wich i couldnt get rid of in the first place cuz of msn messenger, i blocked IE in my firewall back then to test what effect it would have an unblocked it later on). I look at it as an addition now an im not bothered with it anymore (as i said in my post).
RE: Change the browser by ChromeX on 05-01-2004 at 05:56 PM

i cant update to SP!, i use a corporate (not a pirate) version of WinXP Pro and it could not be updated :(

RE: Change the browser by RaceProUK on 05-01-2004 at 11:40 PM

I have a fully-legit version, and that updates itself. Windows Update has to be run under an Administrator account to work properly.

RE: Change the browser by ChromeX on 05-02-2004 at 08:56 AM

i run it, but the update says: your serial number is not compatible with the updates or something like this, and the update couldnt proceed. I tried the MS support, but after i have inserted the s/n, the site says that my serial has already reached the max support numbers and no futher support will be available!

RE: Change the browser by RaceProUK on 05-02-2004 at 09:58 AM

I assume that all the serial numbers you have are legit. If so, and none of them work, your only real option is to use MS Tech Support.

RE: Change the browser by ChromeX on 05-02-2004 at 10:50 AM

yes, the serial is legit, it's used by my friend at work

RE: Change the browser by Kryptonate on 05-02-2004 at 10:52 AM

quote:

there's your problem, you can use a serial only a few times with xp so it must be used too much already.
RE: Change the browser by CookieRevised on 05-02-2004 at 10:57 AM

quote:
Errrmmm... then it isn't legit I think.... The serial is meant for the XP on your friends PC at work, not for you at home...
RE: Change the browser by M-Head on 05-02-2004 at 12:01 PM

lol.

I think it would be easy for microsoft to make a patch or whatever to make links from messenger open in the default browser. I mean, they made a patch for windows xp that makes the 'purchase music online' link in the my music folder open in the default browser. so it is just them being selfish.

RE: Change the browser by RaceProUK on 05-02-2004 at 01:53 PM

Let's just hope they get round to doing that...