Shoutbox

Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance (/showthread.php?tid=24827)

Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by KeyStorm on 05-05-2004 at 06:41 PM

Before some people start to :blah: @ me and other members, I want to point out that I'm just posting this as a suggestion and asking for people's opinion (since it's about the Forums it's in F&W and not in GCC) about this controverted issue.

Some days ago, Chrono, a forum mod, felt like to spam in his own language: Spanish.

Some of us (Spaniards and Latins) felt engaged by this and kept the thread alive spamming around in Spanish.  Chrono, Guido, Choli, Omaaar, me, leito.gt and some others speak Spanish, and they use to like these threads.

Well, this is just an example. (Other languages had formerly its own T&T thread, too)

My suggestion is to allow threads (not single posts) in a foreign language in T&T forums.

Conditions would be:
-Stating the language in English in the thread title.
-Attached trustable translation to English might go in the report comment. (If any post gets enough hard to be reported, although being in T&T :-/)

I can't think of anything else... It's just that simple. :)

If you think it would become a mess, let's allow only the most spoken languages: Dutch, Spanish and French (since there are admins,  mods and elites who could control abuses) (Well, we could add Esperanto and Interlingua :P).

Well, that's my point of view. As said, a rather controverted issue, so please, just don't start blaming anyone for anything ;)

RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Tochjo on 05-05-2004 at 06:49 PM

The suggestion is appreciated, but I just don't think it's a good idea. No matter whether you have mods and people to control it (which is good, that certainly), people will still wonder what is being said. This will cause diversity, and I don't think that's a good idea :-/

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
Well, we could add Esperanto and Interlingua :P
Like there are enough people to keep such a thread going :p
RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by user27089 on 05-05-2004 at 07:00 PM

I'm not with the idea, why can't dz or sum1 press 'admin cp' go to forums > add forum/subforum > Multi T&T

just do that, rather than a large confusing thing in t&t, its confusing nuff wiv all the wierd split thread names like:

Requested !?!?!? wtf!!!

RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Kryptonate on 05-05-2004 at 07:00 PM

I like the suggestion *-) but perhaps another condition could be that when you add a forum member his/her name in a post you translate the post into English?

quote:
Conditions would be:
-Stating the language in English in the thread title.
how do you mean? Something like "Nederlands - Dutch"? :-/.

Perhaps an elite could have moderator options in T&T to control the language threads? :s
RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by KeyStorm on 05-05-2004 at 07:01 PM

I'm just posting back to point out some things that should be clear, too, in response to Tochjo:

People want to spam, not insult other people. That's why I encourage he limited language option, to have that minimal control.

And we are not going to be spamming always in our language. So few people aren't funny enough to keep 5 Spanish threads a day. There would be probably 1 per week, if any. People usually like to spam with all the rest, too ;)

RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Kryptonate on 05-05-2004 at 07:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I'm not with the idea, why can't dz or sum1 press 'admin cp' go to forums > add forum/subforum > Multi T&T

just do that, rather than a large confusing thing in t&t, its confusing nuff wiv all the wierd split thread names like:

Requested !?!?!? wtf!!!
and adding subforums to T&T isn't confusing? :-/. T&T is just T&T, it doesn't need any subs.
RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Sunshine on 05-05-2004 at 07:04 PM

Hmm the idea is nice..but i think it will become a mess cuz ppl will start posting questions about messenger plus inthere too in their own language (if they have trouble posting in english).

Why not make a seperate help area where ppl can ask questions (about messenger plus) in their own language (hoping someone who speaks same language reads it). With this more ppl can be helped sorting messenger plus probs (not everybody in this world speaks english). Ofcourse it has ta go with the advice to post in the english section if they can cuz the chance of the problem gettin solved inthere stays highest.
IMPORTANT: that section should only be for help, not for spamming!

RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Tochjo on 05-05-2004 at 07:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
not everybody in this world speaks english
But the entire forum is in English, how would they even be able to navigate to that forum?

quote:
People want to spam, not insult other people. That's why I encourage he limited language option, to have that minimal control.
Me doubts... But isn't changing his vote yet...
RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by user27089 on 05-05-2004 at 07:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
and adding subforums to T&T isn't confusing? :-/. T&T is just T&T, it doesn't need any subs.

i don't mean add a subforum to t&t, add a sub forum to general chat....

i found the idea quite elementary!
RE: RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Sunshine on 05-05-2004 at 07:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
quote:
not everybody in this world speaks english
But the entire forum is in English, how would they even be able to navigate to that forum?

Multilingual topic (i know it can't be translated into all languages in the world, just stick to the major ones that are mentioned in this thread before)

Example:

Messenger plus help for non english (only post here if u can't translate to english)
Messenger plus hulp voor niet engelstaligen (post hier alleen als u niet naar het engels kunt vertalen)
...same in french...
...same in spanish...
RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by WDZ on 05-05-2004 at 07:28 PM

I don't really mind there being non-English spamming/discussions in T&T. :-/

The idea of stating the language in the thread subject is good. That way, people who don't know the language will know it's a thread they probably won't understand, and they can ignore it.

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I'm not gonna add a new forum for that... we don't have many non-English posts now, and a new forum would just encourage more... :dodgy:

quote:
Dutch, Spanish and French (since there are admins,  mods and elites who could control abuses)
Blah... there's no guarantee that the moderators who understand a certain language would be online or read the thread. We'd have to rely more on reports...
RE: RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Sunshine on 05-05-2004 at 07:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Blah... there's no guarantee that the moderators who understand a certain language would be online or read the thread. We'd have to rely more on reports...

Nope, no guarantee. But the chance for gettin help (again speakin about help section an not a T&T section)  is better then no chance at all. Ohh yeah we forgot one language.....german.....altho i don't know how many germans or ppl that speak german are represented on this forum.
RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by KeyStorm on 05-05-2004 at 07:44 PM

Yeah, I also thought of german, but I didn't see any german active poster yet :-/. (sad, German would also be great)

RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Johnny_Mac on 05-05-2004 at 07:47 PM

I do mind non-translation talk threads that aren't in English. It doesnt follow the forum rules and is unfair on anyone who'd like the join the discussion. I will simply always apply this rule when moderating.

RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by KeyStorm on 05-05-2004 at 07:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
I will simply always apply this rule when moderating.
Unless rules are changed. ;)

Please think of the Translation forum, if you always apply that rule in there, it woldn't be fair. :D j/k

Edit:
quote:
is unfair on anyone who'd like the join the discussion
Discussion?? we're talking about spam. This Community would be the same without spam, it's just a way to evade ourselves, not to discuss important things, that's what we do in English.

You know, :spam: is nothing to mind about. ;)
RE: RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Sunshine on 05-05-2004 at 07:58 PM

quote:
Yeah, I also thought of german, but I didn't see any german active poster yet :-/. (sad, German would also be great)

I saw one today :P an helped out...she translated it to english alrite!
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=24...d=238540#pid238540

quote:
Posted by Johnny_Mac - Today at 08:47 PM
I do mind non-translation talk threads that aren't in English. It doesnt follow the forum rules and is unfair on anyone who'd like the join the discussion. I will simply always apply this rule when moderating.

That's why i suggested a help section and not a T&T one and with that the advice added that posts should be made in the english section if they can cuz the chance of gettin help there is highest ... Unfair: isn't it unfair to deprive ppl from gettin help simply cuz they cant translate to english?...the most important reason for this forum is to help out, rite?

RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Johnny_Mac on 05-05-2004 at 08:03 PM

quote:
That's why i suggested a help section and not a T&T one and with that the advice added that posts should be made in the english section if they can cuz the chance of gettin help there is highest ... u can't control everything...the most important reason for this forum is to help out, rite?
The forum rules (which you should have read :P) state that you're allowed to post in a different language as long as its translated. Sometimes some people on this forum do translations for them and other members. My point is that rule shouldnt leave the Msg Plus! bit of this forum.
quote:
Unless rules are changed. ;)

You know, :spam: is nothing to mind about. ;)

Thanks for being so patronising… :rolleyes:
RE: RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Sunshine on 05-05-2004 at 08:13 PM

quote:
quote:
That's why i suggested a help section and not a T&T one and with that the advice added that posts should be made in the english section if they can cuz the chance of gettin help there is highest ... u can't control everything...the most important reason for this forum is to help out, rite?
The forum rules (which you should have read :P) state that you're allowed to post in a different language as long as its translated. Sometimes some people on this forum do translations for them and other members. My point is that rule shouldnt leave the Msg Plus! bit of this forum.

Yes, im very well aware of the forumrules! But how are ppl that cant translate get their posts translated (newbies)???? Other forummembers can't edit their posts (unless they are mods i think..anyways i'd hate the idea of ppl having the ability to change my post) to put a translation in an therefor the original posters get warning for posting in another language! Or the post gets deleted so they get no help at all :(
RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Johnny_Mac on 05-05-2004 at 08:16 PM

quote:
But how are ppl that cant translate get their posts translated (newbies)????
As I said...
quote:
Sometimes some people on this forum do translations for them

I don't mind any support stuff like that. Its the general non-Plus! stuff I don't like the idea of.

RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by KeyStorm on 05-05-2004 at 08:17 PM

quote:
Thanks for being so patronising…
quote:
please, just don't start blaming anyone for anything

I asked kindly. I'm still pointing out my opinion, not yours.
RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Sunshine on 05-05-2004 at 08:23 PM

Yep, that u did Keystorm! And i went slightly offtopic talkin about a help section for non-english cuz it's something that has been goin thru my mind for quite some time already. Maybe i should have setup a poll for it (soz if it messed up ur thread).

RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by KeyStorm on 05-05-2004 at 08:30 PM

NP, it's been discussed many times about other languages, but admins and mods seemed not to want so. So well.. I think there's not much to do in this direction.

But we're talking about spam, it's not that serious. The rules say all rules apply to T&T but far not so strictly as to any other Forum...
I suggest only a slight modification... T&T is unimportant anyway, and anyone needs to spam from time to time.

Imagine Patchou starts a T&T thread in French, what would happen then?
He spams sometimes, same do we, I don't see a major problem of having other languages... And I sincerely don't see a reason to mind about them (although there seems to be, though).

RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Choli on 05-05-2004 at 09:50 PM

well, after reading this thread several times, now i think i have a clearer idea of what i think...

imo, there shouldn't be any problem if some member starts a thread in T&T in non english language. those kind of threads are just to talk about nothing and have a bit of fun with the people who speaks your same mother language (or how it's said).

about other people not being able to know what is said in that thread: well, I don't care if i see a dutch thread in T&T. I just ignore it. If it's in T&T that's because it isn't important at all. I'm more dissapointed if I see a dutch thread in the translation section and I can't understand it (and that thread is 100% legal. it's posters do not have to translate it, acording to the rules).

about a help section for non english people: that have been requested before with not much success... anyway, I remember people asking for help and posting in spanish and dutch... noone told them to post in english ('cause they said they couldn't) and they got an answer to their problem... What I mean is this: yes, we have to do our best possible to encourage poeple post in english, but we don't have to be like polices and criticize people posting in other language than english, specially if they need help and can't speak english. And, of course, why can't we post in other language in T&T? imo, its the same as if I post a thread like "post something about the poster before you". if I post it in GCC, that would be spam and (as said in the rules) that's not allowed (and should be deleted). If I post it in T&T noone complains (but the rules say it is...) and it isn't deleted

conclusion: don't be so strict in T&T, one thing would be to post 2 or 3 threads per day in T&T in non-english and another thing quite different is post one thread each 3 months...

quote:
Imagine Patchou starts a T&T thread in French, what would happen then?
He spams sometimes, same do we
for example, (and i don't want to criticize patchou, i agree on his behaviour): I've seen patchou posting in french (without any translation) in threads outside T&T. Sometimes he was answering a french person who asked something about plus, but some other times, he was just following a conversation (topic) not related to plus.
did anyone complain? no.

as said before, imo, we shouldn't be so strict about the language and focus more on other more important things (like (true) spamming, etc...)

btw, this rule:
quote:
Subjects: The subject line of a thread should be descriptive, not something like "I need help." If a certain subject has already been discussed, making a new thread about it is discouraged. Please browse or search the forums before posting a thread.
i've seen lots of threads with a totally non-descriptive subject and that's a thing that annoys me because next time i see the thread i dunno what it is about. And noobody says anything about that. and that rule is sa valid as the language one so...

well, with this i don't mean I want that rule to be strictly aplied, I can sleep well being it like it's now.
RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by WDZ on 05-06-2004 at 02:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
I've seen patchou posting in french (without any translation) in threads outside T&T. Sometimes he was answering a french person who asked something about plus, but some other times, he was just following a conversation (topic) not related to plus.
did anyone complain? no.
If someone requests help in French, and another French-speaker replies before a mod does something with the thread, great! I'm glad that person could be helped. :)

The poster should not have expected a reply though. It would also be nice if there was a translation, but the important thing is that the user was helped.

quote:
as said before, imo, we shouldn't be so strict about the language and focus more on other more important things (like (true) spamming, etc...)
I agree... though we should only be slightly less strict. Non-English posting should be allowed in Translation and T&T, and T&T threads should have a label like "[spanish]" in front of the subject.

The rules page could be modified... it's not written in stone; it was written in HTML by a stupid guy who calls himself WDZ. :p

quote:
i've seen lots of threads with a totally non-descriptive subject and that's a thing that annoys me because next time i see the thread i dunno what it is about. And noobody says anything about that. and that rule is sa valid as the language one so...
That particular item is more of a guideline than a rule. Mods are not expected to "fix" subjects that aren't descriptive enough. Users just shouldn't use them in the first place.
RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Choli on 05-06-2004 at 10:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I agree... though we should only be slightly less strict. Non-English posting should be allowed in Translation and T&T, and T&T threads should have a label like "[spanish]" in front of the subject.
* Choli agrees
of course non english threads should be only in T&T and translation, and for me there's no problem in putting [spanish] in the thread title ;)
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
The rules page could be modified... it's not written in stone; it was written in HTML by a stupid guy who calls himself WDZ.

:lol:
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
That particular item is more of a guideline than a rule. Mods are not expected to "fix" subjects that aren't descriptive enough. Users just shouldn't use them in the first place.
let's consider the language rule a guideline in T&T and translation forums too, ok?
RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Omar on 05-06-2004 at 04:36 PM

This is what I think....

I don't think is such a big deal if somebody post in other languages than english...

In the Spam threads in other languages we never insult other members...or say anything bad about anything...we just wanna talk a little bit with People that speak our same language...

I honestly don't see the harm in making SPAMMY threads in other languages...

Cheers

RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by WDZ on 05-06-2004 at 05:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Omaaar
I honestly don't see the harm in making SPAMMY threads in other languages...
Yeah... we let traxor spam in T&T, and he's not speaking English. :refuck:

You could just spam aasg';ljkdfgkjlsd'asfd;kljds crap and nobody would care, so other languages should be fine... :p
RE: RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by .blade// on 05-06-2004 at 05:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
You could just spam aasg';ljkdfgkjlsd'asfd;kljds crap and nobody would care, so other languages should be fine... :p

* .blade// wonders what the google translator would do if u entered "aasg';ljkdfgkjlsd'asfd;kljds" into it :P
* .blade// tries it:

It does nothing :( lol
RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by KeyStorm on 05-06-2004 at 05:40 PM

Do we assume then that...

Other languages than English may be used in Testing & Trashing as long as they are used in separated threads and the used language is stated in the thread title in brackets. However, flaming will be still persecuted with all available weapons.

?

RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Chrono on 05-06-2004 at 09:17 PM

* Chrono slaps Johnny_Mac around a bit with a large trout.

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
You could just spam aasg';ljkdfgkjlsd'asfd;kljds crap and nobody would care, so other languages should be fine... 
So true :P
When people read a spanish thread, as they cant understand it, they complain, though its T&T so whats the prob?
as clearly stated:
quote:
Testing & Trashing
This is the place where you can test stuff and spam around freely.
:dodgy:
if u dont stand what are they talkin about, just dont read the thread :P its in T&T so its just spam

in reply to Keystorm's last post:
u are not saying anything new there :P
flaming and insulting each other in such threads will eventually be reported and posts will be deleted.
RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by KeyStorm on 05-06-2004 at 09:42 PM

I wanted to repeat this, because some people may be scared of having people insulting them in other alien foreign languages they don't understand and doubt staff could manage it.

RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Johnny_Mac on 05-06-2004 at 11:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
if u dont stand what are they talkin about, just dont read the thread  its in T&T so its just spam
4 people register on these forums tonight, all 4 have a discussion in T&T about hacking a site, no one activley here knows what they're talking about. We're breaking a massive rule of not just this forum but the server its hosted on... How do we control that IYO?
RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Chrono on 05-06-2004 at 11:50 PM

quote:
tonight, all 4 have a discussion in T&T about hacking a site, no one activley here knows what they're talking about. We're breaking a massive rule of not just this forum but the server its hosted on... How do we control that IYO?
^o)
what are the possibilities that none of our members know what are they talking about? we have members that can speak many different languages :P
So they could report the post and voilá :P

And why would 4 people register here to post in T&T and discuss there about hacking a site? they would use MSN :lol:
RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Johnny_Mac on 05-06-2004 at 11:53 PM

quote:
what are the possibilities that none of our members know what are they talking about? we have members that can speak many different languages
So they could report the post and voilá
Your relying on possibilities and not fact. In the world of business this is a dangerous solution, but, WTF.
quote:
And why would 4 people register here to post in T&T and discuss there about hacking a site? they would use MSN
The example is dumb; but are you telling me for 100% fact it isnt possible? :rolleyes:
RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Chrono on 05-06-2004 at 11:57 PM

quote:

Your relying on possibilities and not fact. In the world of business this is a dangerous solution, but, WTF.
well this is not "business", this is just a community board :P
quote:
The example is dumb; but are you telling me for 100% fact it isnt possible? 
yeah :lol:
4 people registering in a night to post a thread in T&T about hacking a site in a dodgy language than no one can understand is something impossible to happen

RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Johnny_Mac on 05-07-2004 at 12:42 AM

Blah.. Laugh all you like, I really don't give a shit anymore actually. :undecided:

RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by lylesback2 on 05-07-2004 at 12:56 AM

forum rules say english only... spanish, dutch and others are not suppost to be here.. only for translation purposes.. sorry

RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Johnny_Mac on 05-07-2004 at 12:58 AM

Read the bloody thread will you.

RE: Suggestion: Non-English T&T threads allowance by Choli on 05-07-2004 at 01:36 PM

quote:
4 people register on these forums tonight, all 4 have a discussion in T&T about hacking a site,
can't they have the discussion in Translation? for example:
thread subject: New language: okucocu
Hi I'm new here and want to translate plus into okucocu. Can anyone help me?

Well guys, tomorrow nitgh we'll start the attach against www.example.com using this, this and this tools from x.x.x.x, x.x.x.x and x.x.x.x ips. We'll bla bla bla....
italic text is written in okucocu
now, you read the thread and don't care about it. The rules says that thread is allowed and, as noone reports it, you don't notice that that threar should be deleted. Don't we have the same problem?now I ask you the same question:
quote:
How do we control that?