Shoutbox

free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail (/showthread.php?tid=24837)

free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail by user2319 on 05-05-2004 at 08:13 PM

Hello, does anyone know of a free mail host? Not webmail-based, but POP3 (or anything else to receive e-mail). I don't need SMTP support. I don't want it to spam me or something, but I wouldn't mind a monthly newsletter, which also include some 'advertising' or something.

Anyone knows of one?

RE: free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail by Kryptonate on 05-05-2004 at 08:17 PM

your ISP :p. Normally your ISP provides with some e-mailaccounts and you can make new aliases :).

RE: free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail by Mike on 05-05-2004 at 08:24 PM

GaWab is fine...
15 MB storage pop3 support(allows you to use it from incredimail, outlook etc) and no spam...

http://www.gawab.com/enindex.html

By the way...:

Hotmail is the best :refuck:

RE: free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail by ayjay on 05-05-2004 at 08:25 PM

You might want to try here
There's quite a few.

:DI'm so happy I've actually managed to help someone!!! (I hope):D

RE: RE: free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail by user2319 on 05-05-2004 at 08:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
your ISP :p. Normally your ISP provides with some e-mailaccounts and you can make new aliases :).

You thought I didn't know? :tongue:

@ÐoM!: I think you helped me :wink:
@Mike2: Hotmail sucks. It's full of advertising, you automatically use HTML mails, and it's EULA is loooooooooong.. https://registernet.passport.net/images/HMSA_1033.html. Some ppl say it includes some dodgy shit, and I thinks that's very well possible...
RE: free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail by Mike on 05-05-2004 at 08:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PlusFan
@Mike2: Hotmail sucks. It's full of advertising, you automatically use HTML mails, and it's EULA is loooooooooong.. https://registernet.passport.net/images/HMSA_1033.html. Some ppl say it includes some dodgy shit, and I thinks that's very well possible...
Do you actually read EULA's ? :refuck:

Anyway did you see the link about gawab??
RE: free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail by Choli on 05-05-2004 at 09:11 PM

The other day I registered my accout at spymac. It offers 1Gb of storage and, if I'm not wrong, POP3 support too. It's free. You can also have a ftp account or something similar I (still) don't know. I didn't read the eula :refuck:

RE: free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail by user2319 on 05-06-2004 at 08:13 PM

But I don't have a mac.. it's called spymac

RE: free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail by Tochjo on 05-06-2004 at 08:16 PM

quote:
It doesn't say you need a Mac in order to be able to join :-/
RE: free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail by user2319 on 05-06-2004 at 08:27 PM

So you did read the EULA, while Choli didn't? :p

The site/forum is 'mac-based', and I don't have one............ maybe I should take a look at what my provider offers, 'cause @gawab.com sounds strange, but I've heard some bad things about the quality of it. I'll check tomorrow.... maybe :P (tommorrow is gonna be busy :( )

RE: free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail by Tochjo on 05-06-2004 at 08:34 PM

quote:
So you did read the EULA, while Choli didn't?
Eh, no I didn't :p

Still, after a brief skimming of the EULA, I don't think it's forbidden...
RE: free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail by CookieRevised on 05-07-2004 at 12:29 AM

PlusFan, the type of computer doesn't matter... POP3 is POP3... it's a protocol, it has nothing todo with the type of computer you're using (mac or pc). ;)

Mike2, furthermore, because it is a protocol, even the type of programs doesn't matter ("allows you to use it from incredimail, outlook etc"): A server doesn't know which programs you use to read the mail... of course your program needs to be able to read and use the POP3 protocol...

RE: RE: free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail by user2319 on 05-07-2004 at 08:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
quote:
Eh, no I didn't :p

Still, after a brief skimming of the EULA, I don't think it's forbidden...

:lol:

quote:
PlusFan, the type of computer doesn't matter... POP3 is POP3... it's a protocol, it has nothing todo with the type of computer you're using (mac or pc). ;)

I know, but I visited that site once when they where in the news because of the Gmail thing with 1 GB, and they are really mac-based. Sure, it doesn't matter, but the domain is called spy*mac*.com, and I use a PC.

I'll ask my dad how the 'aliases' for my provider work. But he's at work..
RE: free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail by Tochjo on 05-07-2004 at 08:52 AM

quote:
I'll ask my dad how the 'aliases' for my provider work.
What is your provider anyway?
RE: RE: free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail by user2319 on 05-07-2004 at 10:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
quote:
I'll ask my dad how the 'aliases' for my provider work.
What is your provider anyway?

@home

You can go here and then click on 'account toevoegen of verwijderen'. Then you'll have to login. My dad's got the password ;)

RE: free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail by CookieRevised on 05-07-2004 at 11:33 AM

yep, with @Home you get 5 POP3 emails... so you need to ask your dad to create an account for you and you have an POP3 email. I assume something like myname@home.nl ... Also @Home provides a web-based emailprogram, so you can access your POP3 with your browser. You don't need to use it, but you can if you like. (But I suggest to use a program on your pc like Outlook or another pop3-client, most browsers also have an exellent emailclient, far better then Outlook)

So, the email you get from @Home is POP3 and it has 10MB of storage per emailaccount (you can have a maximum of 5)

RE: free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail by user2319 on 05-07-2004 at 12:37 PM

You suggest to use a program like outlook? You mean one where you can get infected with a virus by reading an e-mail? :O

Yes indeed, a lot of browsers have an e-mail client included.. but I use Kmail

RE: free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail by Choli on 05-07-2004 at 01:58 PM

quote:
:$8-):P
quote:
neither i do...
I have a PC and the friend who told me about it has a pc too. As cookie said, no need to have a mac
quote:
they are really mac-based. Sure, it doesn't matter, but the domain is called spy*mac*.com, and I use a PC.
the name of the site doesn't have anything to do with if they're using macs or pcs. Also, they could be using both... [a bit offtopic]There are some devices, called level 7-switches (i think that's the right translation) that distribute the connections to a site to several, diferent computers... For example, my Uni has (at least) one: when you go to http://www.upv.es (ip=158.42.4.2) that device in fact sends your browser request to another machine (with diferent ip) depending on the load of the 2 or 3 servers the Uni has. Those servers' IP aren't 158.42.4.2 and they could be running several OSes and be one a PC, another a Mac, etc...[/offtopic]

With all this i want to say that the name of a site doesn't say anything about the computers at that site neither about the services they offer.

about the accounts of your ISP... you should check that.. ;)
RE: free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail by CookieRevised on 05-07-2004 at 02:02 PM

quote:
You suggest to use a program like outlook? You mean one where you can get infected with a virus by reading an e-mail? :O
Ther is nothing wrong in suggesting Outlook... sure it has some leaks in older versions... But of course you need to install the latest and update your OS (including Outlook)... btw, with bad settings you can execute every attachment in any mail client, even in the best ones.... It's not Outlook's fault that users don't setup there software right or that they don't update...

RE: free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail by user2319 on 05-07-2004 at 03:05 PM

it has some leaks in older versions, but not in newer versions.. Sure, if you say it ;) but outlook is included with office, and office == $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

You're also forgetting that (as far as I know) HTML mails in Outlook use IE. I don't consider IE 'secure'. Do you? Why?

RE: free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail by CookieRevised on 05-07-2004 at 03:15 PM

IE and Outlook is as secure as you let it be (settings... updates...)... I didn't say use Outlook (heck I don't like it either, but not because it isn't insecure, because that depends 99% on the user who's using it), I gave it as a very well known mailclient example :rolleyes: btw this is going way off topic...

RE: free e-mail (pop3?) *NOT* hotmail by user2319 on 05-07-2004 at 03:30 PM

Okay, let's get Ontopic again..