Shoutbox

!!!Portable Playstation!!! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: !!!Portable Playstation!!! (/showthread.php?tid=25186)

!!!Portable Playstation!!! by Joe on 05-12-2004 at 08:54 PM

One of the highlights of the Sony news conference was the display of the much vaunted PSP. PSP is as revolutionary as the original PSOne, according to SCEA president Kaz Hirai. It includes wireless connectivity (802.11b), and it will offer high-quality movies, music and video in addition to 3D gaming similar to PS2 quality graphics. The initial target audience for the PSP is the 18-34 year-old market, people who have more disposable income.

The display is a 16x9, 4.3 inch widescreen LCD. This enhances in-game peripheral vision. The PSP has stereo speakers and 32MB ram and 4MB VRam. They will have regional lockouts on the UMDs. UMDs and can hold three times as much as traditional CD-ROMs. The PSP is also going to include a USB 2.0 slot and infrared dataport. Development for the PSP should not be a problem because it uses OpenGL. The PSP will contain a lithium-ion battery, which they say will enable 10 hours of playback.
[Image: psp!.jpg]

here's a close-up of the UMD
[Image: pspdisc!.JPG]

RE: PSP! by Pr0xY on 05-12-2004 at 09:23 PM

This is something I have been waiting for for a long time, a mini playstation.  I cant wait untill it comes out.  But it will probably cost an arm and a leg. :P

RE: PSP! by Concord Dawn on 05-12-2004 at 09:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pr0xy_nuk3r
This is something I have been waiting for for a long time, a mini playstation.  I cant wait untill it comes out.  But it will probably cost an arm and a leg. :P

Yeah I know. I mean Apple's iPod costs over $400 for the cheapest model.

quote:
Originally posted by atownjoe2004
One of the highlights of the Sony news conference was the display of the much vaunted PSP. PSP is as revolutionary as the original PSOne, according to SCEA president Kaz Hirai. It includes wireless connectivity (802.11b), and it will offer high-quality movies, music and video in addition to 3D gaming similar to PS2 quality graphics. The initial target audience for the PSP is the 18-34 year-old market, people who have more disposable income.

The display is a 16x9, 4.3 inch widescreen LCD. This enhances in-game peripheral vision. The PSP has stereo speakers and 32MB ram and 4MB VRam. They will have regional lockouts on the UMDs. UMDs and can hold three times as much as traditional CD-ROMs. The PSP is also going to include a USB 2.0 slot and infrared dataport. Development for the PSP should not be a problem because it uses OpenGL. The PSP will contain a lithium-ion battery, which they say will enable 10 hours of playback.
[Image: psp!.jpg]

here's a close-up of the UMD
[Image: pspdisc!.JPG]

I have no idea how they can expect to get 10 hours out of 1 lithium-ion battery if the PSP has 802.11b, a CD drive and an LCD screen. There is no way in hell.
RE: PSP! by .blade// on 05-12-2004 at 09:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chaos_grenade
I have no idea how they can expect to get 10 hours out of 1 lithium-ion battery if the PSP has 802.11b, a CD drive and an LCD screen. There is no way in hell.

Oh there's a way....it may make it weigh more than the Sega Gamegear :P but it's possible....I mean the IPOD, with a greyscale screen only has 8 hours :P
RE: PSP! by Joe on 05-12-2004 at 09:50 PM

i bet they mean at the most... you could might maybe almost possibly reach 10 hours....

I'm guessin' around $300, but sony said it would be in competition with the gba sp, so i would put it in between $150-$200
BTW: welcome back chaos_grenade

RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by .blade// on 05-13-2004 at 12:03 AM

quote:
i bet they mean at the most... you could might maybe almost possibly reach 10 hours....

I'm guessin' around $300, but sony said it would be in competition with the gba sp, so i would put it in between $150-$200

I'm gonna buy one if they're less than $300...
RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by Joe on 05-13-2004 at 01:17 AM

I'm still workin' on my Xbox... 200 mountain dew "DewU" points down, 350 to go... (if n e one drinks mountain dew, i'd appreciate your cap codes;)
-------------------------------------------
n e ways, the PSP should be a great hit and is probably coming during the holidays, so sounds like a good way to make a few million/billion for Sony

RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by Concord Dawn on 05-13-2004 at 01:35 AM

quote:
I'm still workin' on my Xbox... 200 mountain dew "DewU" points down, 350 to go... (if n e one drinks mountain dew, i'd appreciate your cap codes;)
-------------------------------------------
n e ways, the PSP should be a great hit and is probably coming during the holidays, so sounds like a good way to make a few million/billion for Sony

I don't drink it, sorry.

quote:
Originally posted by gigablade77
quote:

I'm gonna buy one if they're less than $300...

IF they're less, which I highly doubt. I don't even see why Sony has tried to take Nintendo on the the handheld field. Nintendo will crush them. They have at least 5 years of monopoly behind them.
RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by tomfletcherman on 05-13-2004 at 02:45 PM

yeh, but sony are much better. The only thing nintendo have one up on them is that they own mario, donkey kong etc

RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by Ezra on 05-13-2004 at 03:11 PM

The Nintendo DS is far better than the PSP.

And cheaper ;)

RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by Concord Dawn on 05-13-2004 at 04:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra

And cheaper ;)

True. although you have to admit that being able to play movies on your game system is kind of appealing. That's one of the things that Nintendo has picked up on since the release of Gamecube. They have started to pack more features into their systems.
RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by .blade// on 05-13-2004 at 04:08 PM

quote:
quote:

And cheaper ;)

True. although you have to admit that being able to play movies on your game system is kind of appealing. That's one of the things that Nintendo has picked up on since the release of Gamecube. They have started to pack more features into their systems.

And have you seen the size of the DS? It's just a bit smaller than the old NES :P I'm going to buy a PSP, not a DS
RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by Concord Dawn on 05-13-2004 at 04:25 PM

The size of the DS is about the size of the original GBA in width and length and about twice as tall.

RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by .blade// on 05-13-2004 at 04:28 PM

quote:
The size of the DS is about the size of the original GBA in width and length and about twice as tall.

Exactly - it's massive :S

PSP all the way! lol
RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by Concord Dawn on 05-13-2004 at 04:34 PM

It's not massive. And the PSP better have a like 40000 second ESP, or I'm not going to buy it.

RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by .blade// on 05-13-2004 at 04:43 PM

quote:
It's not massive. And the PSP better have a like 40000 second ESP, or I'm not going to buy it.

How many times do you ppl need to be told that the PSP does NOT run on CD's, it's a form of mini-disc :S
RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by MIPX5 on 05-13-2004 at 04:53 PM

The PSP looks like an iPod on crack when the nintendo DS looks like shit on a stick

I know which I will be buying!

RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by tomfletcherman on 05-13-2004 at 05:24 PM

I'm going to save for the psp, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

nintendo have practically nothing on sony:P

edit: my 666th post I AM EVIL

RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by Stigmata on 05-13-2004 at 05:53 PM

* Stigmata cant wait to play time crisis on the way to school :)

RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by Ezra on 05-13-2004 at 10:45 PM

I am going to buy the DS, just because I personally think Nintendo games ar better than the common Playstation games. And the pricing, and the DS has more functions.

RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by .blade// on 05-13-2004 at 10:50 PM

quote:
I am going to buy the DS, just because I personally think Nintendo games ar better than the common Playstation games. And the pricing, and the DS has more functions.

Have you bothered to look @ the size of the thing? :S
RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by Concord Dawn on 05-13-2004 at 11:47 PM

Yes. And overlooking the fact that DS is bigger than PSP, he still wants to buy it, so leave him alone.

RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by Sk3tch on 05-14-2004 at 02:08 AM

heh kool, i thought they were working on a PS3 a while ago..
Shows how much i know :rolleyes:

I like the style of it, its different yet reminds me much of the Game gear, GB Adv.. and the neo.. something..

* Sk3tch wont buy one but will play on friends one :P

RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by Concord Dawn on 05-14-2004 at 03:26 AM

NeoGeo (shows how much I know :D)

quote:
Originally posted by Sk3tch

* Sk3tch wont buy one but will play on friends one

Me too :D

RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by Sk3tch on 05-14-2004 at 03:32 AM

quote:
NeoGeo (shows how much I know :D)
Ah yeah thats right, NeoGeo 'Pocket' though, cause the original NeoGeo was made long long ago and was like the best of its kind. Shame the Pocket didn't get very popular.
RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by Concord Dawn on 05-14-2004 at 03:34 AM

I still play on my TurboGraphix or something........(I can't remember wut it's called, the name thing peeled off :$)

RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by MIPX5 on 05-14-2004 at 06:44 AM

You know the PSP is not comeing out for almost a year! I dont think I can wait that long I bet Nintendo will try and get the DS out before Xmas, although there has been problems with them getting screens for the DS aparntly (there is twice as many now! :D)

RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by Pipish on 05-14-2004 at 08:32 AM

wow thats looks very mad portable i porbley wont buy one tho because i am saving up for a laptop but its still very good

RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by .blade// on 05-14-2004 at 05:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MIPX5
You know the PSP is not comeing out for almost a year! I dont think I can wait that long I bet Nintendo will try and get the DS out before Xmas, although there has been problems with them getting screens for the DS aparntly (there is twice as many now! :D)

so they should ship them with no screens and enclose an "I O U" note :lol:
RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by CodeChaos on 05-14-2004 at 07:48 PM

I'm more interested in the PSP, because Nintendo makes consoles for           people that are younger.

Offtopic:
Microsoft's next game system: X-Box Portable

RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by .blade// on 05-14-2004 at 08:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CodeChaos
I'm more interested in the PSP, because Nintendo makes consoles for           people that are younger.

Offtopic:
Microsoft's next game system: X-Box Portable

I can see it now..."Get your back-packo-fun today! Weighs only 30 pounds!!!" :lol:

RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by Maniac on 05-14-2004 at 10:42 PM

Haha, whoever thinks the PSP is cool is a jerk :p (that is meant in a joke way and not to offend anyone)

The DS completly owned everything else in the E3 execpt for the Realistic Zelda. Other than than Microsoft had some cool stuff.... sony was displaying videos on the PSP.... what the hell? Thats all! :p

RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by Pr0xY on 05-19-2004 at 01:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by VGProManiac
Haha, whoever thinks the PSP is cool is a jerk :P
[Image: plzdie.gif]

quote:
The DS completly owned everything else in the E3
Patchou was there, he tops everything

quote:
Realistic Zelda
For the past week thats all I've heard people talking about in my school.   Oh good lord, someoen talking about it again to me online :S .... this games going to turn into a fix for addicted gamers.  "

RE: !!!Portable Playstation!!! by PenguinBoy on 05-26-2004 at 09:08 PM

Do that PSP baby i like that theng.

sony has dignity (stolen dignity i tell you! STOLEN!!!) that is a smooth design. it is like a finely curved lady

whereas the DS it looks tacky... it looks disposable... it better be cheap.... it looks it. if it were human i'd steal it's lunch money and make it do my homework.

can you not see the difference... i mean... it's such a Nintendo thing to do.
A small improvement I admit on Nintendo’s behalf they’ve added two more extra buttons wow that’s an improvement (sarcasm).

I wish that both were human… I’d have a sexy biatch and a trusty slave.

on a slightly different note... i heard that the PSP would have blue tooth>>> any insight?

ur friendly neighbourhood PenguinBoy