Shoutbox

Where does MSN store it's avatars? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Where does MSN store it's avatars? (/showthread.php?tid=25512)

Where does MSN store it's avatars? by LunarCrisis on 05-20-2004 at 01:00 AM

I'd like to know because I want to see if changing the colour quality makes a difference in whatever file format it stores them in.

RE: Where does MSN store it's avatars? by dotNorma on 05-20-2004 at 01:33 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName Goes Here\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\User Number Goes Here\UserTile

RE: Where does MSN store it's avatars? by LunarCrisis on 05-20-2004 at 01:49 AM

I didn't find the specific folder you were talking about, but I found a similar one:

C:\windows\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\USERNAME\UserTile

However, it doesn't seem to be creating/deleting .tmp files when I add/delete avatars. . .:(

RE: Where does MSN store it's avatars? by dotNorma on 05-20-2004 at 01:52 AM

Well the folder is different depeding on wether your has more than one user or not.

Those might be other peopls avatars and not yours , Im not sure :tongue:

RE: Where does MSN store it's avatars? by Mnjul on 05-20-2004 at 02:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NoName
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName Goes Here\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\User Number Goes Here\UserTile
This goes for NT-based Windows

quote:
Originally posted by LunarCrisis

C:\windows\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\MSNPassportID\UserTile

This goes for 95-based Windows. It could be C:\windows\profiles\(windows username)\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\MSNPassportID\UserTile if you have more than one user accounts.

RE: Where does MSN store it's avatars? by Weyzza on 05-20-2004 at 06:51 AM

Where does Messenger store contacts' display pictures?

RE: RE: Where does MSN store it's avatars? by Sunshine on 05-20-2004 at 08:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thekid
Where does Messenger store contacts' display pictures?

On their own computer :P
RE: Where does MSN store it's avatars? by CookieRevised on 05-20-2004 at 11:58 AM

Your DPs, CEs, ...

For MSN and Windows Messenger:
Your own display pics, custom emoticons and backgrounds and other stuff are all stored in your MSN Messenger application object storage directory. The files have the extension .TMP or .DAT, but are actually GIFs, JPGs or PNGs (depending on type of content). The directories are different from OS to OS and depend on what you're exactly looking for:
CookieRevised's reply to 'where is custom stuff stored?'

For Windows Live Messenger:
The Windows Live Messenger object storage directory is split up into the old one (see above; it is still used for other things) and a slightly new location. Your own display pics, custom emoticons, backgrounds, and other stuff are now stored with the extension DT2. They are still GIFs, JPGs or PNGs though (depending on type of content).
The new location is:
%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\<your_windows_live_id>\ObjectStore

Contact's DPs, CEs, ...

The Display Pictures and Custom Emoticons you've recieved from your contacts are stored in your cache in your "Temporary Internet Files"-folder. These are stored as PNGs. The filenames are named as CA<6_characters>.BIN.

The cache directory is now located at %temp%\MessengerCache and will contain PNGs, JPGs and GIFs (gifs are used for the animated emoticons only).
Files are named with a hash and have no extension. But if you browse that directory with a decent graphics program which can reconize graphic formats by their contents rather than by their name, you can easly pick the ones you need and copy them.

--------

And thus those are the exact places where "Display Picture Stealers" will look for the pictures and emoticons of your contacts. So if you delete your temporary internet files (or the MessengerCache folder if you use WLM) then no DP-stealer will find anything because nothing is there to find. For more details see:
CookieRevised's reply to 'How do CE/DP stealers work and do I need them?'
CookieRevised's reply to 'Non-Spyware CE/DP stealer/exporters'

RE: Where does MSN store it's avatars? by RebelSean on 05-27-2004 at 07:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Contacts DP's, CE's, ...
The Display Pictures and Custom Emoticons you've recieved from your contacts are stored in your cache in your "Temporary Internet Files"-folder. These are also stored as PNG's. They are named as CA<6_characters>.BIN (not sure about the first part "CA" thought, but it seems to be always that with me).

Not on my computer .... I have nothing with the name CA<.....>.bin...Help?

RE: Where does MSN store it's avatars? by CookieRevised on 05-28-2004 at 03:54 PM

It's the same for everyone...
Did you look into your "Temporary Internet Files"-folder?

btw, if you look into it with Windows Explorer you wont see the real contents of the folder, but rather the references used by Windows. So, CA<...>.BIN are the (cached) filenames, not the things you'll see with Explorer for that folder.

Browse to that directory and search for things like "JqUgPyxSxEZ+DnSElJn3Zmhpup8=" (or something in that style) and look at their properties, you'll see that the filename is actualy something else.

Note: if you copy those things to another directory, the actual filenames are used (of course).

If you did all that and there is nothing there, then you don't have any cached DP's of your contacts, and CE/DP stealers wont find anything either then...

RE: RE: Where does MSN store it's avatars? by CanadianOriginal on 06-14-2004 at 10:01 AM

quote:
If you did all that and there is nothing there, then you don't have any cached DP's of your contacts, and CE/DP stealers wont find anything either then...

It seems that DP's never get cached on my machine ^o). I've searched everywhere (even scoured .png and .bin files), but none are to be found. Is there a setting that can prevent this caching?
RE: Where does MSN store it's avatars? by Cartox on 06-14-2004 at 01:05 PM

is it possible to edit these .bin files in your app data,
i have some dp that are bigger (100px x 170px)
there loaded in my dp list on msn messenger 6.2 and i can use them
but i want new ones..since wtbwplug issn't working for 6.2:(

RE: Where does MSN store it's avatars? by CookieRevised on 06-15-2004 at 05:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CanadianOriginal
It seems that DP's never get cached on my machine ^o). I've searched everywhere (even scoured .png and .bin files), but none are to be found. Is there a setting that can prevent this caching?
You don't need to look everywhere, you need to look in your "temporary internet files"-directory. If they are stored, they are stored there, nowhere else... And like I said, you can't "search" for .bin files there because that directory is a special directory which uses references and not filenames (in explorer)....

quote:
Originally posted by Cartox
is it possible to edit these .bin files in your app data,
No, MSN Messenger also stores checksums for the files, so if you edit them, it won't be reconized anymore IIRC...

RE: Where does MSN store it's avatars? by Savior on 04-18-2005 at 06:38 PM

so if I just copy the C:\Documents and Settings\myname\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\thingy number  folder from one computer to another all my custom emoticons will be there?

thanks

RE: RE: Where does MSN store it's avatars? by halo_dude on 09-30-2007 at 12:18 AM

Hey Guys :)

quote:
Your DPs, CEs, ...

Your own display pics, custom emoticons and backgrounds and other stuff are all stored in your MSN Messenger application object storage directory. The files have the extension .TMP or .DAT, but are actually GIFs, JPGs or PNGs (depending on type of content). The directories are different from OS to OS and depend on what you're exactly looking for:
CookieRevised's reply to 'where is custom stuff stored?'

The Windows Live Messenger object storage directory is split up into the old one (see above; it is still used for other things) and a slightly new location. Your own display pics, custom emoticons, backgrounds, and other stuff are now stored with the extension DT2. They are still GIFs, JPGs or PNGs though (depending on type of content).
The new location is:
%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\<your_windows_live_id>\ObjectStore

Contact's DPs, CEs, ...

The Display Pictures and Custom Emoticons you've recieved from your contacts are stored in your cache in your "Temporary Internet Files"-folder. These are stored as PNGs. The filenames are named as CA<6_characters>.BIN.

The cache directory is now located at %temp%\MessengerCache and will contain PNGs and GIFs (gifs are used for the animated emoticons only).
Files are named with a hash and have no extension. But if you browse that directory with a graphics program which can reconize graphic formats by their contents you can easly pick the ones you need and copy them.

--------

And thus those are the exact places where "Display Picture Stealers" will look for the pictures and emoticons of your contacts. So if you delete your temporary internet files (or the MessengerCache folder if you use WLM) then no DP-stealer will find anything because nothing is there to find. For more details see:
CookieRevised's reply to 'How do CE/DP stealers work and do I need them?'
CookieRevised's reply to 'Non-Spyware CE/DP stealer/exporters'

- I registered today just to say thanks to Cookie Revised.
- I use MSN Messenger Live (not my choice but because MSN wouldnt let me sign in without using downloading and installing Live!)
- I was wondering where the temporary avatar files had moved to.
- I can definitely vouch that what you are saying about the older files containg the CA<6_characters>.BIN is spot on.
- I used to copy them to a blank folder, creating a dummy MS-DOS BAT file and type: -

ren *.bin   *.png

- Windows Image/Fax Viewer would just open it normally.
- I used notepad to verify the file type. The first 3 bytes of info indicate what it is.
- In this case of course the first 3 letters start PNG and have lots of code after it.

Thanks again and take care all :D.

PEACE OUT !!!

EDIT:

- If you cant be bothered to rename all the temp cached avatars, copy them to a blank folder, creating a dummy MS-DOS BAT file and type: -

ren *.*   *.png

and save it as a *.bat (you cant use the asterix, just call it whatever you want - its not relevant, however do remember that when you do this, it will also rename the batch file).

- This is lazy coding, but im sure you dont need to worry about error checking for something so trivial.

RE: Where does MSN store it's avatars? by gcaror on 11-05-2008 at 05:34 PM

Please help!!

I had to format my hard drive and lost a lot of files (Vista recovery does not seem to work very well)

However when I sign on to MSN I see my old display picture. So it must be stored somewhere in the Internet...

Can anyone tell me where? It's a beautiful picture of my baby I would really appreciate to get back...

Thanks a lot

RE: Where does MSN store it's avatars? by Spunky on 11-05-2008 at 05:44 PM

It is stored on the MSN servers, at that size; thus not on your computer. Sorry, but there is no way to get it back without having a backup.

You could try using some un-delete tools to try finding files that were on the drive before it was formatted, but chances are it's been partially/fully written over by other data :(

RE: Where does MSN store it's avatars? by gcaror on 11-11-2008 at 08:28 PM

no way to recover it from the servers, then?

thanks

RE: Where does MSN store it's avatars? by Spunky on 11-12-2008 at 06:52 AM

It is stored on the MSN servers, at that size

RE: Where does MSN store it's avatars? by riahc4 on 03-05-2009 at 11:16 PM

Cookie said that dt2 is the extention but really they are just jpg/png files. I changed the extension, opened them up in PS, but they are unreadable. How can I read them?

RE: Where does MSN store it's avatars? by CookieRevised on 03-06-2009 at 01:24 AM

Yes, but read the post carefully and in context... ;)

I said they are JPGs, PNGs or GIFs. So, it might be that the image you're trying to open is a GIF.

----

Also note that that post has been made 5 years ago. So, I talked about normal display pictures which you can find in the UserTile subdirectory. Thus not about the new deluxe display pictures which you will find in the DeluxeDisplayPictures subdirectory.

The new deluxe display pictures which you will find in the DeluxeDisplayPictures subdirectory are, just like Winks, Microsoft Cab Files (MSCF) which consist internally of an XML index file (indexing the states it can show), the main Shockwave Flash file, and a PNG thumbnail representation. The normal extension of these archives is CAB and you can open them with any archiving program which supports MS-CAB files (eg: WinRAR).

PS:
The Winks are actually also MS-CAB files (CAB).
The CustomEmoticons are actually PNGs (PNG) or GIFs (GIF).
The new Dynamic Backgrounds are actually MS-CAB files (CAB).
The new Scenes are actually JPGs (JPG) or PNGs (PNG).
The new Signature Sounds are actually Windows Media Audio files (WMA).

RE: RE: RE: Where does MSN store it's avatars? by kabso 5 on 05-09-2010 at 06:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by halo_dude

EDIT:

- If you cant be bothered to rename all the temp cached avatars, copy them to a blank folder, creating a dummy MS-DOS BAT file and type: -

ren *.*   *.png

and save it as a *.bat (you cant use the asterix, just call it whatever you want - its not relevant, however do remember that when you do this, it will also rename the batch file).

- This is lazy coding, but im sure you dont need to worry about error checking for something so trivial.

the Bat thingy, working perfectly with me, I tried to find a Cach explorer but I couldnt find one

and there is not even a messenger plus to do this.

So i copied the messengercache folder to my desktop

installed that bat fild within them, and run it.

It will make all the images .png, and with ACDSEE I can view all the contents normally.