Shoutbox

Microsoft Beta Tester? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Microsoft Beta Tester? (/showthread.php?tid=25643)

Microsoft Beta Tester? by sparkymcg on 05-22-2004 at 06:27 PM

whats the website to signup to become a beta tester for microsoft

RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by Anubis on 05-22-2004 at 06:39 PM

https://beta.microsoft.com/
Edit: They get loads of requests don't expect to be picked…especially with there being a load of software leakers out there

RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by GiantSpider on 05-22-2004 at 07:03 PM

And don't go on there expecting to get what you want. Say you only want to test MSN Messenger. Take you they give you (if any) and be glad.

RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by sparkymcg on 05-22-2004 at 07:22 PM

thanks for the site ive been looking for that for ages
theres a question on it that says "Is this your computer your secondary 'test machine' or your primary computer?"
do yous think i should pick test machine as i think by picking this there is more chane of me getting betas

RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by Stigmata on 05-22-2004 at 07:32 PM

1. after you sign up, takes ages for them to actually ask you to do something
2. short deadline
3. chrashes your pc most the time
4. they except you to keep back ups of everything ... ¬_¬
5. if u put messenger, you'll prob end up with long horn :S

RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by Kryptonate on 05-22-2004 at 07:42 PM

Be honoust, they might find out after all.

RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by Anubis on 05-22-2004 at 08:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sparkymcg
do yous think i should pick test machine as i think by picking this there is more chane of me getting betas
This is not necessarily true...Microsoft want people to test the programs for bugs and technical problems, and they want your average Joe to try them out to explain any problems you have with the interface or need a new feature for it...
RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by RebelSean on 05-22-2004 at 08:20 PM

I wanna be a tester!!!! LMAO...Not jeperdizin my comp for them not to replace it....

RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by sparkymcg on 05-22-2004 at 08:21 PM

lol anumbis thats exactly what my friend said to me and i just picked the primary computer
and i have another question is there any other sites (companys)that offer beta testing

RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by Stigmata on 05-22-2004 at 08:24 PM

whats with beta testing anyway? how is it the 'thing' to do??

most people who i let beta test, just use the program once, and never say a word to me :S

RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by Kryptonate on 05-22-2004 at 08:25 PM

http://www.betanews.com/ You can download beta's here to use them altough you don't really 'test' it, u just use it.

quote:
Originally posted by jackass_wanabe

most people who i let beta test, just use the program once, and never say a word to me :S
you have to find people who are willing too test all the features and to put time in it.
RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by sparkymcg on 05-22-2004 at 08:29 PM

quote:
whats with beta testing anyway? how is it the 'thing' to do??
i like it because you get the things before everyone else gets it

quote:

every thing u gave me dusnt work :(
RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by Stigmata on 05-22-2004 at 08:30 PM

¬_¬

well what did u tell me was wrong?
what did u tell me you did??

RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by Kryptonate on 05-22-2004 at 08:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sparkymcg
i like it because you get the things before everyone else gets it

but it also has a lot of bugs in it and might cause problems.
RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by RebelSean on 05-23-2004 at 03:33 PM

Cookie, I clicked on the online link to see who is online and it says: You are either not logged in or do not have permission to view this page. This could be because one of the following reasons:
You are not logged in or registered. Please use the form at the bottom of this page to login.
You do not have permission to access this page. Are you trying to access administrative pages or a resource that you shouldn't be?
Check in the forum rules that you are allowed to perform this action.
Your account may have been disabled by an administrator, or it may be awaiting account activation.

What the heck does that mean?

RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by Anubis on 05-23-2004 at 03:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Giving this reason you should be banned from all beta-testing in the world
True. A good BETA tester will always BETA test to do someone a favour and for the good of the people who will use the final version...With the ability to BETA test comes the responsibility of being sensible and giving good reports...
RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by Kryptonate on 05-23-2004 at 04:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
Cookie, I clicked on the online link to see who is online and it says: You are either not logged in or do not have permission to view this page. This could be because one of the following reasons:
You are not logged in or registered. Please use the form at the bottom of this page to login.
You do not have permission to access this page. Are you trying to access administrative pages or a resource that you shouldn't be?
Check in the forum rules that you are allowed to perform this action.
Your account may have been disabled by an administrator, or it may be awaiting account activation.

What the heck does that mean?
the 'Who's online' page has been temporarily disabled for users for preventing the server to reach maximum overlaod.
RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by AJR on 05-24-2004 at 11:56 AM

quote:
2. short deadline

lol! good one. look man, beta testing can be very annoying, especially with microsoft involved :P i mean, they crash your computer with the full version even!!
RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by RebelSean on 05-24-2004 at 11:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by AJR
quote:
2. short deadline

lol! good one. look man, beta testing can be very annoying, especially with microsoft involved :P i mean, they crash your computer with the full version even!!

Right... I wouldn't beta test something besides Messenger Plus! Cosue I know it [b] probably [\b] wouldn't crash my comp...I would never ever  test for microsoft, unless they siged papers saying that they fuck my comp up they buying me a new one ;-) :D

RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by AJR on 05-24-2004 at 12:06 PM

hahaha yes! msg plus can do serious damage.. but patchou is a smart man and tests it a bit before sending it to everyone.. unlike some beta testing times i know!

RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by CookieRevised on 05-24-2004 at 12:33 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AJR
unlike some beta testing times i know!
What you mean by that?
That he had some bad beta testing experience. Where the program wasn't checked roughly before it was send out to the testers... I guess :rolleyes:

PS: Don't spam!
RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by AJR on 05-24-2004 at 12:42 PM

oops! i had no idea that not many people would understand me:P well yes, people who didnt check it out properly, sending it out and destroying parts in computers etc.

RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by surfichris on 05-24-2004 at 12:53 PM

I have actively participated in numerous Microsoft Beta's in the past.. noticibly:

1. Windows 2003 Server Edition
2. Microsoft Office 2003
3. Windows Messenger 5.0
4. Windows XP SP2 (When it was private)

Currently am participating in afew betas, but we wont go into any details ;). Its actually a fun job.. You have access to pre-release software, and usually have some fun whilst testing and reporting your bugs on the newsgroups that Microsoft provides.

RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by RebelSean on 05-24-2004 at 12:59 PM

But wene testing the software, Does it mess up your computer any?

RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by surfichris on 05-24-2004 at 01:05 PM

quote:
But wene testing the software, Does it mess up your computer any?
All of Microsoft's products are in a fairly well developed and tested stage before they even reach the beta testers, so generally, no.

This probably happens to afew people with beta's such as XP SP 2 which modify major files in the OS.

You are warned and not supposed to run the beta's in a live production environment, and you accept all responsibility and liability to lost work if you do.
RE: Microsoft Beta Tester? by RebelSean on 05-24-2004 at 01:07 PM

Ohhhhhhh Ok.....I was thinkin that if you test it for them and it messes up your comp that they would replace it for you :D ;-)