Shoutbox

Windows Messenger Messing About... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Windows Messenger Messing About... (/showthread.php?tid=25723)

Windows Messenger Messing About... by Andre on 05-23-2004 at 10:40 AM

Hi, i wanted to try out windows messenger 5 because i often use 2 msn accounts at the same account. I wanted to use handwriting on both so i tried this out. I downloaded it from the microsoft website, then installed it. Near the end it asked me to close a process called ccapp.exe i agreed to it, and it installed fine and i could logon. The next day i tried it out, it wouldnt start, instead it gave me an installer which came up with an error while starting..
Then it keeps trying to install and the only way to stop it is by closing it via the processes bit on task manager, msgs.exe
I'll give the specific error code if you want it, and help would be much appreciated as i dont want to have to use a 3rd party program like JNZR loader to use multiple MSN.

Andre

RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by GiantSpider on 05-23-2004 at 10:59 AM

Jrnz isn't for multiple accounts. Download windows X's edition and you can use MSN Messenger for as many different accounts as you want

RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by Choli on 05-23-2004 at 11:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
Jrnz isn't for multiple accounts. Download windows X's edition and you can use MSN Messenger for as many different accounts as you want
Jnrz is actually for multiple accounts.
quote:
Originally posted by Andre
i dont want to have to use a 3rd party program like JNZR loader to use multiple MSN.
what about a polygamy patch. you apply it and forget about it. After that, just launch as many messengers as you want.
RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by Andre on 05-23-2004 at 11:04 AM

Thanks, but id still prefer to be able to use windows messenger.

RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by GiantSpider on 05-23-2004 at 11:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
Jnrz is actually for multiple accounts
I thought jrnzloader was for signing in as appear offline?
RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by Jeronimo on 05-23-2004 at 11:26 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
Jnrz is actually for multiple accounts
I thought jrnzloader was for signing in as appear offline?
It also allows polygamy as well. Pretty nice for such a tiny program. Thats the beauty of writing in assembler :)
RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by GiantSpider on 05-23-2004 at 11:27 AM

You actually do learn something everyday. I still say Windows X's edition is best for this kinda thing though.

RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by Andre on 05-23-2004 at 11:28 AM

Back on topic though, has anyone thats downloaded Windows Messenger 5 had these problems?

RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by GiantSpider on 05-23-2004 at 11:31 AM

to be totally honest you shouldn't have Windows Messenger 5. Thats the corparate edition. Really you should be on 4.7

RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by Andre on 05-23-2004 at 11:50 AM

Exactly, so how do i role it back?

As i want my old windows messenger 4.7 back.

RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by GiantSpider on 05-23-2004 at 11:52 AM

You would have the get the old .exe
try oldversions.com

RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by Andre on 05-23-2004 at 11:57 AM

Bah, its only to msn on there, ill try on the microsoft site.

RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by Choli on 05-23-2004 at 11:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Andre
Exactly, so how do i role it back?

As i want my old windows messenger 4.7 back.
uninstall 5.0 and go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger and download 4.7 ;)
RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by Andre on 05-23-2004 at 12:03 PM

It wouldnt let me uninstall 5.0, but during installation of 4.7 it uninstalled it. Annoyingly it wont sign in claiming the sign in name or password doesnt exist, yet i sign into MSN messenger fine. Strange...

RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by CookieRevised on 05-23-2004 at 12:28 PM

Straiting some things up (mostly for GiantSpider):

Handwriting Plugin doesn't work properly with Windows Messenger.

JnrzLoader is originaly being made to be able to have multiple logins (polygamy) without Patching MSN Messenger. A added feature is the signing in with "offline".

Windows X's Edition has a basic polygamy patch (just the same as you can download on mess.be), just as Choli described. So using Windows X just to have polygamy is seriously overkill. Just install the polygamy patch and you have exactly the same beheviour as Windows X without all the hasle of installing all the skins and the problems you might get with it...

Who said that somebody can't use Windows Messenger 5 just because he hasn't a corporation????? Windows Messenger 5 is "pointed" at corporations, it doesn't mean you can't use it as an individual. In fact winmsgr 5 and 4.7 are different programs with different options. Just use the one which suits you the best.

Windows Messenger 4.7 isn't old! It is also "a" latest version of Messenger... just like there is a latest version for Windows Messenger 5, MSN Messenger 6.2 and MSN Messenger for Mac...

RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by Andre on 05-23-2004 at 01:08 PM

I cant logon to windows messenger...
It says sign in name or password doesnt exist, yet i can log on fine to MSN messenger.

RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by GiantSpider on 05-23-2004 at 01:12 PM

GiantSpider fight's back:
Windows X is good for the skins. I probably would have recomended it anyway. What by the Windows Messenger thing is that it's mainly the corparate edition. And since there is a version 6 you could say 5 is old.

RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by Andre on 05-23-2004 at 01:41 PM

Theres a version 6?

But can i stress yet again i want my windows messenger to work!! Ive neevr had a problem with the msn and windows messengers both with plus installed and both signed in... Ive tried closing MSN mesenger then just using windows then signing in, but to no avail...

It seems i might just have to resort to polygamy

RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by GiantSpider on 05-23-2004 at 02:06 PM

Version 6 was leaked onto the web with a build of Longhorn

RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by Andre on 05-23-2004 at 02:21 PM

That would explain why its not on the microsoft site :P

How are these things leaked onto the web, surely ms would be able to stop their next version of windows getting leaked?

RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by GiantSpider on 05-23-2004 at 02:28 PM

Well it's not Microsoft it's there BETA testers. But anyway let's try to get back ontopic now. You can get polygamy of mess.be. However this is illegal.

RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by CookieRevised on 05-23-2004 at 03:42 PM

quote:
Version 6 was leaked onto the web with a build of Longhorn
And thus 5 is still the newest one (6 will proberly be buggy anyways)... get your facts strait and/or give details... (and this thread wasn't about skinning, so recommending Windows X isn't needed and useless)

quote:
You can get polygamy of mess.be. However this is illegal.
If Patching (illegal) was "black", and non-patching "white", then using JnrzLoader is "grey"... JnrzLoader doesn't physicaly alter your MSN Messenger in any way...

read more about polygamy and JnrzLoader here: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=22...d=216042#pid216042

RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by Andre on 05-23-2004 at 06:13 PM

Does this mean that microsoft wont come knocking on ur door and confiscating ur comp? :P

What are the legallitys about this? Ive heard you're not allowed to patch certain parts of Msn messeneger, msg plus stays within these, so what does JNZR do thats wrong?

RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by Andre on 05-23-2004 at 07:17 PM

Ok then, ive got windows messenger working by reinstallling it, both msna and windows sign in fine, widows works completely fine i think. But everytime i open a msn convo with MSN it starts the Windows msger 5 install :S ive really got wrong now...

RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by CookieRevised on 05-23-2004 at 07:20 PM

JnrzLoader stays within these bounderies also. Like I said, it doesn't change anything physicaly in msnmsgr.exe. It alters some small thing in memory. Technicaly this is also patching, but it wont alter the msnmsgr.exe in anyway.

The same thing can be said about Plus!. It changes something in memory (in this case it's called hooking) so you can have other/more features. Plus! also changes things like JnrzLoader does, it adds things to menu's.

So, JnrzLoader is as (il)legal as Messenger Plus!...

RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by Choli on 05-23-2004 at 08:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
The same thing can be said about Plus!. It changes something in memory (in this case it's called hooking) so you can have other/more features. Plus! also changes things like JnrzLoader does, it adds things to menu's.
what things changes plus? as long as I know, it doesn't change anything. Hooking is a technique where you tell the operating system (Windows) to notify you when something related to another program happens. Plus doesn't change in any way the code of messenger, it just adds some extra code of itself that is executed at some events. If that would be ilegal, M$ would have added that in its OS.
RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by CookieRevised on 05-24-2004 at 12:29 AM

I meant it in the literal way "changing"... if something is added/removed, something has changed (no matter what method is used)...

There is indeed still a difference between JnrzLoader and Plus!. But the point I was trying to make is that JnrzLoader isn't realy illegal (it is, but it isn't... ah crap... blah... I give up :p)

RE: Windows Messenger Messing About... by Choli on 05-24-2004 at 10:24 AM

yep, i get you , cookie. Jnrz can be or not illegal, however plus isn't (it doesn't change any part of the code of msg) ;)

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
(it is, but it isn't... ah crap... blah... I give up )
:lol: