Shoutbox

The Advertisement banner doesnt hides - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides (/showthread.php?tid=25727)

The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by walkman on 05-23-2004 at 10:59 AM

Go to MSN Messenger main windows. GO to Plus!-Preferences, in the CONTACT LIST menu, you can see an option HIDE THE ADVERTISEMENT BANNER--->Tick that on.
---
i did that but the ad still comes back (i think that its a bug :()
picture is below
I allready unistalled msn messenger (6.2) & plus!3 and installed again but its still coming back.  AND i did nothing with a original msn messenger file.

RE: The Advertisement banner doestn hides by Choli on 05-23-2004 at 11:06 AM

your screen shot seems dodgy to me... is it real? Anyway, what version of messenger are you using?

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by Kryptonate on 05-23-2004 at 11:08 AM

Choli, he said he uses 6.2 :)

the screenshots looks dodgy indeed. I don't think it's a problem with Plus!. Do you see that too when you don't have Plus! installed?

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by walkman on 05-23-2004 at 11:09 AM

yes, it is real, i have msn messenger 6.2.0133

and the big picture too
i have msgplus3 ! installed at the morning (today)
about 11.00 am

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by Saadu on 05-23-2004 at 11:42 AM

Hi
I was and am having the same problemo here.
First instance was usning MSN 6.2 with the patched update of msgplus to be compatible with 6.2. I ignored it in hopes to have it fixed by msgplus3. But apparently it is here. I get this on 2 computers with both running msn6.2 but one with msgplus wtih 6.2 patch and other with msgplus3.

It goes away when the messenger main window is clicked but when u move u click some other window that ghost comes back to the messenger window (probably its the refresh time of the AD which kicks it in)

PS: the reason u dont see my ad but an X there is because i have deleted the contents of a links.txt file in my temp fodler and made it read only. Could it be the culprit? Somone suggested it on mess.be as a temporary AD fix.
Walkman do u mind checking it out on ur PC if u have a links file and if u do does it contain any links?

Attaching screenshot of a deactivated window.

RE: RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by walkman on 05-23-2004 at 11:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Saadu

Walkman do u mind checking it out on ur PC if u have a links file and if u do does it contain any links?

noup, i did not find that file :(
RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by BiZaRrE on 05-23-2004 at 12:18 PM

walkman: open the PLUS! preferances menu and go to Contact List.  Then click (tick) the hide adbanner and click on apply. then see if it works. it should...at least it does with mine:P
im using:

• Win XP Pro
  • MSN Messenger 6.1(.0211) [cos 6.2 won't work on my pc]
  • Messenger Plus! 3

RE: RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by walkman on 05-23-2004 at 12:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BiZaRrE
walkman: open the PLUS! preferances menu and go to Contact List.  Then click (tick) the hide adbanner and click on apply. then see if it works. it should...at least it does with mine:P
im using:
  • Win XP Pro
  • MSN Messenger 6.1(.0211) [cos 6.2 won't work on my pc]
  • Messenger Plus! 3

that i did at first, when uninstalled & installed and then i putted the hide adbanner, and that still comes, i hope that no more posts like these doestn write. i m not that noob you know

im using:
win xp pro corp edition+sp1
msn messenger 6.2.0133
messenger plus!3
RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by xiios on 05-23-2004 at 01:07 PM

I have the same software versions and banner problem that Walkman does. I can make it appear by resizing the MSN Messenger main window and disappear by moving the mouse pointer over contact list or using the scrollbar. I first saw this bug with Plus! 2.54.0075 or 2.54.0074 -- right after I upgraded from MSN Messenger 6.1 to 6.2.

RE: RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by Saadu on 05-23-2004 at 01:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by xiios
I have the same software versions and banner problem that Walkman does. I can make it appear by resizing the MSN Messenger main window and disappear by moving the mouse pointer over contact list or using the scrollbar. I first saw this bug with Plus! 2.54.0075 or 2.54.0074 -- right after I upgraded from MSN Messenger 6.1 to 6.2.

Yeh didnt realize i too can have the AD come back when i resize the msn main window. Guess we're all in the same boat here :P Lets see whats common between all of us.
Im using win XP service pack 1 with autopacher (didnt install msn or msgplus from autopatcher though)
Fully uptodate from windowsupdate.com
Removed Windows Messenger by a run commandline
Updated msn and msgplus both this morning from this official websites.
RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by eien-kisu on 05-25-2004 at 12:32 PM

me too, i cant hide the ad.

me using win98se.

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by matty on 05-25-2004 at 02:22 PM

Run this little app, it will hide the Banner using the win32 Api
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=249589

If it works and hides that banner I will talk to Patchou about it and see if it can be fixed at all. :)

RE: RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by walkman on 05-25-2004 at 02:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
Run this little app, it will hide the Banner using the win32 Api
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=249589

If it works and hides that banner I will talk to Patchou about it and see if it can be fixed at all. :)

it doesnt help :(
RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by Saadu on 05-25-2004 at 06:40 PM

ahhhh that ad ghost is annnnoying
patchu advice something plz

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by Choli on 05-25-2004 at 07:35 PM

quote:
ahhhh that ad ghost is annnnoying
patchu advice something plz
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598

edit:

ops :$ sorry, as ES says in the next post, i'm totally wrong here... I think i mixed up threads
RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by EvilSeph on 05-26-2004 at 01:18 AM

lmao Choli, think you should stop posting on the forums when half asleep m8. This whole topic has nothing to do with the sponsor =p. As of yet I can't reproduce this and something that can't be reproduced can't be fixed or even attempted to be fixed =\...

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by xiios on 05-28-2004 at 04:16 PM

I found a workaround for this situation.

It appears that the banner keeps coming back with certain Regional and Language settings.

Start -> Settings -> Control panel
Regional and Language Options
 Regional Options
  Standards and formats
   --> set this to: English (United States)
Apply, OK

Exit MSN Messenger and restart it. Banner won't appear.

My setting was Estonian and the banner always appeared about 10 seconds after raising main Messenger window. I didn't test other settings thoroughly but it seems that the banner appears with most of them. Try Chinese (Hong Kong S.A.R)  and check out the banner:)

RE: RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by Saadu on 05-28-2004 at 05:46 PM

quote:

It appears that the banner keeps coming back with certain Regional and Language settings.

Regional Options
  Standards and formats
Apply, OK

My setting was Estonian and the banner always appeared about 10 seconds after raising main Messenger window. I didn't test other settings thoroughly but it seems that the banner appears with most of them. Try Chinese (Hong Kong S.A.R)  and check out the banner:)

mine was already english usa
no effect...
RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by matty on 05-28-2004 at 06:03 PM

quote:
no effect...

I have spoken with Patchou about it, it seems that its a dodgy way that MSN Messenger is using to repaint the banner and not checking the size of the banner. Patchou is trying to find a work around so sit tight.
RE: RE: RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by xiios on 05-28-2004 at 06:37 PM

quote:
no effect...

Did you try changing the setting at all?
Finnish was OK for me too for example...
And it wasn't enough to "close" messenger into system tray. It had to be "Exit"ed.

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by Millenium_edition on 05-28-2004 at 06:40 PM

why don't you people use a patch and let that msgplus setting alone... well for now, untill patchou finds a way around it.

RE: RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by wolf89 on 05-28-2004 at 08:00 PM

quote:

Regional Options
  Standards and formats
Apply, OK

this workaround doesn't work... I did everything you said - changed the language setting from Estonian (as you see, I'm Estonian too) to English US and restarted MSN, but the banner ghost still appeared
RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by xiios on 06-29-2004 at 07:40 PM

I should have tried this before...

Adding the line

127.0.0.1      rad.msn.com

to my hosts-file (in XP it is WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
and restarting messenger does the job for me.

No tweaking of language settings necessary:)

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by Sunshine on 06-29-2004 at 08:31 PM

If u clicked hide adbanner in plus and it still shows up sometimes or u don't have plus and u wanna remove the adbanner try the adremoverpatch (for 6.2.0137) here: http://members.lycos.nl/livetab/patch/

RE: RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by Saadu on 06-29-2004 at 08:31 PM

quote:
I should have tried this before...

Adding the line

127.0.0.1      rad.msn.com

to my hosts-file (in XP it is WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
and restarting messenger does the job for me.

No tweaking of language settings necessary:)

Awsomez... i can only trust msgpus with my msn and not some thing that patches my exe or something. thanks for the fix worked like a charm!
RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by M73A on 08-19-2004 at 06:50 PM

t6hanks sunshine, it worked great...dus it still work if a new versioin is realesed like 6.3 or will a new patch b needed?

is it sumat rong wiv msg plus? or has msn tried to stop people from doing it?

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by Sunshine on 08-19-2004 at 07:52 PM

Glad i could help u may37alliance :) U'll most likely need a new patch when MSN messenger releases a new version (this patch patched MSN messenger not plus)...but there hasnt been talk bout that comin so that will be a while i guess and who knows maybe plus will hide it again for u aswell then. It's most likely a bug....there have been more ppl complainin bout "hide adbanner" not workin :(

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by Joe on 08-19-2004 at 09:39 PM

you could just make your  cantact list a big larger, it hides the banner then

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by ~PoP~ on 08-19-2004 at 10:43 PM

I had the exact same problem. I mean, not when resizing the window, but when I simply left it open for like 10~15 secs, this weird "ghost-ad" kept showing up.

Note that I hadn't had any problem before. Maybe the problem appeared since I installed the Service Pack 2, I dunno exactly.

Anyway, thank you Sunshine.

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by Maverick666 on 08-20-2004 at 10:15 AM

Yeah thanks sunshine. I tryed everything. Mine started all of a sudden...

The patch worked though :-)

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by eviltoilet on 08-20-2004 at 10:16 AM

I have been using msn 6.2 and msgplus 3.01.94. JUst today i started tog et the ad problem, i have not got it before and i have not changed anything at all, it was fine last night and this morning i find that it keeps chosting itself. I hope that i fix is found soon, as that is my only real reason that i use messenger plus.

RE: RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by mattkbishop on 08-20-2004 at 11:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
If u clicked hide adbanner in plus and it still shows up sometimes or u don't have plus and u wanna remove the adbanner try the adremoverpatch (for 6.2.0137) here: http://members.lycos.nl/livetab/patch/

I tried using that and I get File Not Found, or File Access Error.

A screen of my problem can be found here:

http://www.partyboyusa.co.uk/prob.jpg
RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by Wabz on 08-20-2004 at 12:18 PM

I just found this bug as well!

There not exactly full banners tbh

You cant click on them!

Its wierd because It only seems to be third party banners

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by M73A on 08-20-2004 at 01:16 PM

mattkbishop

i had that message aswell, you have to close msn completely, in the system tray aswell....then run the patch file...it should work now, it did with me

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by TheDude on 08-20-2004 at 02:22 PM

Yeh I have the same problem, I will copy the post I made in another thread.

Yeh I'm getting the same sort of thing, the ad keeps shining through and doesnt go until I click the "I want to..." menu, and then it comes back a few minutes later.  I will use a patch for now though :D.

[Image: msgplusscreen1.JPG]

[Image: msgplusscreen2.JPG]

It's strange though, because it only started happening yesterday and didn't before then.  The only thing I have installed since it didn't happen was the latest version of Stuffplug-NG + all the plugins it recommends installing with it (colournick etc.).  Maybe it is something to do with them?

Windows Version: Windows XP, 5.01.2600 (Professional Edition)
Messenger Client Version: 6.2.0137
Messenger Plus! Version: 3.01.0094

Plus! plugins:

Screenshot Sender 3
Anonymail
Audiator 3
ColorNick v2
HandWriting Enabler
Hopper
IP Plug MSN Client
RDM Speech For Messenger Plus!
Shortcuts Plug
Stuffplug by DJMystic
Stuffplug-NG
WMPlus 2

MSN Messenger Patches:

msn_messenger_polygamy_5   (universal polygamy patch)
MSN6GamesPatch   (mess.be games patch)

And I was running 2 instances of messenger.

RE: RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by mattkbishop on 08-20-2004 at 05:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
mattkbishop

i had that message aswell, you have to close msn completely, in the system tray aswell....then run the patch file...it should work now, it did with me

Thanks mate that worked :)
RE: RE: RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by R0cK3TttttT on 08-20-2004 at 05:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mattkbishop
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine

I tried using that and I get File Not Found, or File Access Error.

A screen of my problem can be found here:

http://www.partyboyusa.co.uk/prob.jpg

Here ya go Dood, I D/L and Posted that patch for those having trouble gitting onto website!!
RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by fiyur on 08-23-2004 at 09:54 PM

mess.be says - Patchou is fully aware of this bug and has promised to fix it in Messenger Plus! 3.10, due early September. Apparently, Microsoft is using seperate windows for its banners since MSN Messenger 6.0: one for basic banners and another for more complex codes.
If the patch doesnt work, try using this nega patch recommended by mess.be which works for me. http://www.mess.be/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=download&id=542

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by Patchou on 08-24-2004 at 06:08 AM

yeah, it's already been fixed.. just be a little bit patient, Plus! 3.10 will be soon be released :)

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by craized_1 on 08-24-2004 at 04:51 PM

Hi.  I'm having the same problem.  Everything was perfect until 2 or 3 days ago.
I'm using:
msn messenger 6.2.0133
messenger plus!3

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by lopardo on 08-24-2004 at 05:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by craized_1
Hi.  I'm having the same problem.  Everything was perfect until 2 or 3 days ago.
I'm using:
msn messenger 6.2.0133
messenger plus!3

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
yeah, it's already been fixed.. just be a little bit patient, Plus! 3.10 will be soon be released :)

:)
RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by EnsconcE on 08-27-2004 at 11:38 AM

Same problem here, the way i recreate the bug is by setting my status on online( i tried it form the status offline and online) while the main window is active. after that you move your mouse several times over the "i want to..." link. MayB this contributes to the solution.

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by matty on 08-27-2004 at 02:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by EnsconcE
Same problem here, the way i recreate the bug is by setting my status on online( i tried it form the status offline and online) while the main window is active. after that you move your mouse several times over the "i want to..." link. MayB this contributes to the solution.
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou

Ok please read the entire thread before posting. Patchou HAS fixed it and Messenger Plus! 3.10 will be release in September. Microsoft was using two different banner windows so when Patchou resized the one the other was sometimes show.
RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by ronald_poi on 08-30-2004 at 03:47 PM

the problem is already solved
just wait before the last msg plus will be released in september
:)

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by globemonkey on 08-30-2004 at 06:54 PM

Seems to work for me...

http://www.sfu.ca/~vwchu/msnadblock.html

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by matty on 08-30-2004 at 09:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by globemonkey
Seems to work for me...

http://www.sfu.ca/~vwchu/msnadblock.html
Plus! will be released next month with a fix. I guarantee its been fixed. Patchou has stated it, I have stated it, and Chrono can state it.
RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by KillerRoy on 08-30-2004 at 11:29 PM

I use Messenger 6.2 and Plus! 3.01.94 and i have the same problem that Walkman.   At First I saw html code in the banner place and today the banner is there.

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by M73A on 08-31-2004 at 12:53 AM

apparently its xml not html

RE: The Advertisement banner doesnt hides by Chrono on 08-31-2004 at 01:37 AM

closed.