Shoutbox

MP3! not loading on my XP guest account - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account (/showthread.php?tid=25747)

MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by Tpgn007 on 05-23-2004 at 12:13 PM

First of all I wanted to say that the new MP3! looks great! :D

Now for the problem:

I have installed MP3! (3.00.92) this morning (of course :P) on my Windows XP Dutch version. After installation, everything works perfectly on my own XP Admin account. However, when logging in on the XP Guest account no Plus! is loaded :-( When I try to manually start MP3! (C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\MsgPlus.exe) I get the following error msg:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=248142]

Sorry for the Dutch, but it basically says that I (Guest) do not have sufficient access rights. I have checked this as the Admin and there does not appear to be any restricting access rights set on the MP3! folder. ^o)

Using Plus! 2.54 I had no problems using MP3! with the Guest account. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance, Henri

RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by Anubis on 05-23-2004 at 12:17 PM

Try to uninstall Plus! 3 then re-install it, then when in User Accounts on the control panel turn the Guest account off then reboot your PC and turn it back on...

RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by Tpgn007 on 05-23-2004 at 01:07 PM

I have uninstalled MP3! and then re-installed it. Turned of the Guest account, rebooted and re-enabled the Guest account. However the problem persists... :(

Any other suggestions maybe?

RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by KeyStorm on 05-23-2004 at 01:17 PM

For MP! to work on a non admin account you have to install it on the non admin account, since the setup is radically different. If you do so you will get to know how it works. ;)

RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by Tpgn007 on 05-23-2004 at 01:26 PM

Huh? So I have to install MP3! seperately for each XP account?? :huh:

RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by Mnjul on 05-23-2004 at 01:38 PM

For each guest-previlege account, yes :)

RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by Choli on 05-23-2004 at 02:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tpgn007
Huh? So I have to install MP3! seperately for each XP account?? :huh:
no no no.... If you install plus in the admin account and all the guest ones have access to the folder where plus is installed you don't need to install it in each account.
RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by Tpgn007 on 05-23-2004 at 02:12 PM

Thanks Mnjul :) It worked :D

What is the benefit of this by the way? I now have the Admin installation installing al the MP3! files in 'C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\' and the same programm files are now also in 'C:\Documents and Settings\Gast\Application Data\Messenger Plus! 3'. My HD is large enough, but it doesn't appear to be very efficient... ^o)

Also: Does this mean that when updating Plus! I have to update not only the Admin but also seperately the Guest account??

RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by Tpgn007 on 05-23-2004 at 02:30 PM

Choli, I did the initial installation of MP3! being the admin. As far as I can tell the 'C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\' folder is accessible to the Guest (also, I did not make any changes to the access rights anyway after the installation and before MP3! it simply was not there).

However, I (logged in as the Guest that is) have just now tried to create a txt-file in that folder and for some reason XP locks me out. No access rights... I have checked under the Admin, but as far as I can tell there, no access restrictions are in place for this folder, nor its content. It's also not hidden for the Guest. Strange :S

RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by Choli on 05-23-2004 at 02:32 PM

quote:
Also: Does this mean that when updating Plus! I have to update not only the Admin but also seperately the Guest account??
yes
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
no no no.... If you install plus in the admin account and all the guest ones have access to the folder where plus is installed you don't need to install it in each account.
btw, that's right, however, Guest accounts don't use to have the needed rights to execute msgplus.exe so for all guest account you have to install plus.

edit:
Tpgn007: don't double post. I've tried the same as you and my conclusion is what I've just posted :P

edit 2: I'll mail patchou telling him about this and suggesting a work arround ;)

edit 3: similar thread: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=25772 (but let's continue talking here)
RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by Pilou on 05-23-2004 at 03:58 PM

quote:
btw, that's right, however, Guest accounts don't use to have the needed rights to execute msgplus.exe so for all guest account you have to install plus.

No, no, no !!! Not necessary !!!

You just have to grant the "restricted users" the rights to read/execute the files located in the "Program Files/Messenger Plus" directory and that's all. (I've checked, it's perfectly working on my XP).

By default, only Administrators and Power users have the right to read/execute/modify everything that is located in the Program Files folder. Restricted users and guests accounts can only read/execute these files.

For some reasons, the files installed by Messenger Plus! are not readable and executable by the restricted users/guest users (I don't know if the power users are granted these rights, but I'm sure that the admistrators are).

The only thing you have to change is the way the Messenger plus! installation process create its files. It has to grant every users the rights to read/execute Messenger plus! files. (actually you shouldn't have to worry about granting the correct rights because by default, when you create a file, it is granted the same right as the parent folder, in this case "Program Files". And this latter grants every users the "read/execute" permission).

This way, every user, including the guests, will be able to run Messenger Plus!

So there is absolutely no need to install Messenger Plus in every guest account !!!!! :)
RE: RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by Pilou on 05-23-2004 at 04:02 PM

quote:
However, I (logged in as the Guest that is) have just now tried to create a txt-file in that folder and for some reason XP locks me out. No access rights... I have checked under the Admin, but as far as I can tell there, no access restrictions are in place for this folder, nor its content. It's also not hidden for the Guest. Strange :S

Absolutely normal. Guests and restricted users may not create/modify files under Program Files. And this should not be a problem for a program to run...
RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by Patchou on 05-23-2004 at 04:05 PM

Well, if Plus!2 worked for you this way, I'll check it out. The main problem is probably that your users dont have haccess to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by Choli on 05-23-2004 at 04:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pilou
By default, only Administrators and Power users have the right to read/execute/modify everything that is located in the Program Files folder. Restricted users and guests accounts can only read/execute these files.

For some reasons, the files installed by Messenger Plus! are not readable and executable by the restricted users/guest users (I don't know if the power users are granted these rights, but I'm sure that the admistrators are).
that's what I meant, however I suggested to install it in each account because for "normal" people it's easier install it again than set the right permissions of a folder in Win XP.

Of course I agree that the default behaviour of the plus setup program should be set those needed permissions by default :)
RE: RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by Pilou on 05-23-2004 at 04:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Well, if Plus!2 worked for you this way, I'll check it out. The main problem is probably that your users dont have haccess to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

I was talking about Plus! 3...

Restricted users indeed don't have access to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. They shouldn't... And Messenger Plus shouldn't write something there...
RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by Choli on 05-23-2004 at 04:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pilou
Restricted users indeed don't have access to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. They shouldn't... And Messenger Plus shouldn't write something there...
guest accounts have read access to HKLM\software\patchou\msgplus2 so that shouldn't be a problem. IMO the problem is that they can't execute msgplus.exe 8-)
RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by Patchou on 05-25-2004 at 05:41 PM

I just tried installing in admin and using in a Guest account on two computers, and it worked fine everytime. Could you uninstall Plus!, restart, make sure the Messenger Plus! 3 dierctory is deleted and install again? the setup will recreate the directory and Windows wil set the appropriate rights on it.

Patchou

RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by Patchou on 05-25-2004 at 05:51 PM

I just remembered the new setup is using a new function to create the directory. I just changed it, maybe it will fix your problems. Please let me knoe next week, when version 3.01 is released.

Thanks,
Patchou

RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by Choli on 05-25-2004 at 07:16 PM

quote:
I just tried installing in admin and using in a Guest account on two computers, and it worked fine everytime. Could you uninstall Plus!, restart, make sure the Messenger Plus! 3 dierctory is deleted and install again? the setup will recreate the directory and Windows wil set the appropriate rights on it.

Patchou
I did that with the final release of plus.
quote:
I just remembered the new setup is using a new function to create the directory. I just changed it, maybe it will fix your problems. Please let me knoe next week, when version 3.01 is released.

Thanks,
Patchou
of course ;)
RE: RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by Pilou on 05-25-2004 at 07:58 PM

quote:

Patchou

That's also what I did the first time ! But I'll try again...
RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by Pilou on 05-25-2004 at 08:13 PM

Patchou, I tried again, same problem (I made sure the Messenger Plus! 3 directory was completly deleted).

So I resinstalled, and here are the permissions that were set :

C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3 BUILTIN\Utilisateurs:R
                                   BUILTIN\Utilisateurs:(OI)(CI)(IO)(accŠs sp‚cialÿ:)

GENERIC_READ
                                                                    GENERIC_EXECUTE

BUILTIN\Utilisateurs avec pouvoir:C
                                   BUILTIN\Utilisateurs avec pouvoir:(OI)(CI)(IO)C
                                   BUILTIN\Administrateurs:F
                                   BUILTIN\Administrateurs:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                                   AUTORITE NT\SYSTEM:F
                                   AUTORITE NT\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                                   PIERRE-PC1\Administrateur:F
                                   CREATEUR PROPRIETAIRE:(OI)(CI)(IO)F

C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\MsgPlus.exe PIERRE-PC1\Administrateur:F

C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\MsgPlusH.dll PIERRE-PC1\Administrateur:F

C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\Plugins BUILTIN\Utilisateurs:R

GENERIC_READ
                                                                            GENERIC_EXECUTE

C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\Readme.txt PIERRE-PC1\Administrateur:F

C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\Resources BUILTIN\Utilisateurs:R

GENERIC_READ
                                                                              GENERIC_EXECUTE

C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\RichEdHook.dll PIERRE-PC1\Administrateur:F

C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus! 3\Setup.dat BUILTIN\Utilisateurs:R

I'm sorry this is in French, but I guess you will easily translate Adminstrateur to Administrator and Utilisateurs avec pouvoir to Power users.

As you can see, some permissions are missing for some files...

RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by Bucket on 05-28-2004 at 01:29 PM

Same problem here... what worked for me was to grant the Users-group Read&Execute-rights on the install-dir and all the files and sub-dirs in it.

As it was working with version 2.54 of Plus!, I think it is the new function that Patchou is talking about.:S

Can't wait until the new release!!:P

RE: MP3! not loading on my XP guest account by Choli on 05-28-2004 at 02:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bucket
what worked for me was to grant the Users-group Read&Execute-rights on the install-dir and all the files and sub-dirs in it.
yes, the problem is that the rights aren't ihnerited from the installation folder.

Well, don't worry, because in the next version of plus, that will be fixed ;)