Shoutbox

Program that allows you to see what data a program sends over the internet? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Program that allows you to see what data a program sends over the internet? (/showthread.php?tid=25788)

Program that allows you to see what data a program sends over the internet? by Mike on 05-23-2004 at 04:23 PM

Hi...

Does anyone know a program that allows me to see what a vb program data sends over the internet?
The program uses the mircrosoft winsock control.

Maybe what i want is packet sniffing?

Thanks! :)

RE: Program that allows you to see what data a program sends over the internet? by Choli on 05-23-2004 at 04:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike2
Maybe what i want is packet sniffing?
you need just that. search google: "sniffer" and you'll get lots of them. maybe you want to try "Ethereal" (it's the first sniffer name that came in my mind :P)
RE: Program that allows you to see what data a program sends over the internet? by Mike on 05-23-2004 at 05:15 PM

Ok i installed Ethereal but i didnt understand a thing :S
I want a program that it can "spy" only one program because Ethereal looks like that it spys all the programs... :undecided:

RE: Program that allows you to see what data a program sends over the internet? by Choli on 05-23-2004 at 05:19 PM

quote:
Ok i installed Ethereal but i didnt understand a thing
all sniffers are similar so you'll have the same problem with all. Just give them some time ;)
quote:
I want a program that it can "spy" only one program because Ethereal looks like that it spys all the programs...
true.

I don't know any sniffer that can "spy" only a given program... I'd suggest you to close all internet related program except the one you want to monitor and then use he sniffer.
RE: Program that allows you to see what data a program sends over the internet? by Mike on 05-23-2004 at 07:04 PM

Hmmm ok i tried closing internet using programs and then opened the program i want to monitor and it got some things...
But i dont know if they are from the program i want to monitor... :undecided:
I dont know if you have used winsock in vb...

code:
Winsock.SendData "Hey!"

You do that to send data...Well i want to be able to see that the program sent "Hey!" to the server.
And also if possible i want to know what the server sent back but i dont want this too much...

Hmmm...
I think i will :google: some more for these-type of programs...

Edit: I just noticed that if you right click on a packet at Ethereal and click "Follow packet stream" you can see the above things :)
RE: Program that allows you to see what data a program sends over the internet? by Choli on 05-23-2004 at 08:48 PM

quote:
But i dont know if they are from the program i want to monitor...
the sniffers doesn't send anything... they just "look what's going in the cable" and display it.
quote:
I dont know if you have used winsock in vb...
yes, I've, but from the view of the sniffer that doesn't matter. you can have the program written in VB, C++ or asm and the sniffer doesn't care.
quote:
You do that to send data...Well i want to be able to see that the program sent "Hey!" to the server.
And also if possible i want to know what the server sent back but i dont want this too much...
that's the basic features of any sniffer......
quote:
I think i will  some more for these-type of programs...

Edit: I just noticed that if you right click on a packet at Ethereal and click "Follow packet stream" you can see the above things
...... it won't take too long untill you get used to the program you're using.