Shoutbox

Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? (/showthread.php?tid=25858)

Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by RebelSean on 05-24-2004 at 02:05 AM

What do you guys prefer, a Dell,Gateway,Voodoo, or Mac? I'm looking into a new computer...Need yall's advice plz..:D

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by .blade// on 05-24-2004 at 02:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
What do you guys prefer, a Dell,Gateway, or Mach? I'm looking into a new computer...Need yall's advice plz..:D

None of them - buy a VooDoo and you'll NEVER regret it....they are prety rpicy though :P

http://www.voodoopc.com/

....:drool: VooDoo :drool:....
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by ddunk on 05-24-2004 at 02:10 AM

Or if you want a gaming comp and have money, Alienware.

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by .blade// on 05-24-2004 at 02:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk

VooDoo is better, longer battery life for Laptops, Overclocked more, and better warranty...I liked Alienware too...until I found VooDoo ;)
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by RebelSean on 05-24-2004 at 02:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk

I want a gaming comp, but not for like java script games..I wanna play 3D and 4D games....I have never hurd of Alienware before...But I will search for it :D

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by ddunk on 05-24-2004 at 02:36 AM

4D? :dodgy: :P

Anyways, back on topic, I never really liked dell, we use em at school and they seem cheaply thrown together. I've never heard of Mach and the Gateway I used to have was pretty good, just became outdated.

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by Sk3tch on 05-24-2004 at 04:28 AM

Ah... if you have the money, try and get a VooDoo :P
Gateway = :dodgy:

Dell are pretty cheap and not bad (Y)

Whats Mach? :S

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by .blade// on 05-24-2004 at 04:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sk3tch
Ah... if you have the money, try and get a VooDoo :P
Gateway = :dodgy:

Dell are pretty cheap and not bad (Y)

Whats Mach? :S

Mach = bad spelling of Mac

VooDoo = (y)
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by brianjdupuis on 05-24-2004 at 05:26 AM

I have a Dell Labtop, I found the customer support to be excellent and the quality of the product was also amazing. But the only thing I didn't like was that you had to pay a nice big delivery charge of $100 dollars instead of going into a store like futureshop and not having to pay for that!

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by user2319 on 05-25-2004 at 07:10 AM

yeah, it's Mac. Where are the options "other" and "do-it-your-self"? Don't like Dell, Mac is good, but not for games, gateway and voodoo: never heard of!

You get a lot of BSODs? Is your comp overclocked? Maybe it gets too hot.. or it's just windows :refuck:

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by lylesback2 on 05-27-2004 at 03:57 AM

Dell!  but i heard VooDoo is really good *caugh*$$$$$$$*caugh*

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by leito on 05-27-2004 at 04:34 AM

There is a Mach that is better than any other PC. It's made by Liebermann. But... it's to expensive.

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by .blade// on 05-27-2004 at 05:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by leito.gt
There is a Mach that is better than any other PC. It's made by Liebermann. But... it's to expensive.

yes, but VooDoo's are better and not nearly as much o.O
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by Wabz on 05-27-2004 at 08:55 AM

My personal opinion is no matter how good these computer companies are your better off building your own system to suit your own needs.  It's also cheaper if you get a friend or someone to build it for you.  The potential saving should allow you to out build anything offered by these computer companies

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by doggie on 05-27-2004 at 11:55 AM

how about making your own pc? cheaper? cost me $350 less than the same spec pc instore when i make em'

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by doggie on 05-27-2004 at 12:56 PM

try a book called "Scott Muellers Upgrading and Repairing PC's" which is geeky as im a geek and it works for me.. or just do what i did and get your A+ Certification :D

RE: RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by user2319 on 05-27-2004 at 01:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gigablade77
quote:
Originally posted by PlusFan
yeah, it's Mac. Where are the options "other" and "do-it-your-self"? Don't like Dell, Mac is good, but not for games, gateway and voodoo: never heard of!

You get a lot of BSODs? Is your comp overclocked? Maybe it gets too hot.. or it's just windows :refuck:

Never heard of a gateway? They're only the most advertised PC :P
Not overhere in the Netherlands.
quote:
Never heard of a VooDoo...man,t hat's just wrong
Why? :P

quote:
* gigablade77 slaps the person who has never heard of the ferrari of computers - the VooDoo around a bit with a large trout, then switches to a large spiked mace (6)

:banana:

I wanna build my own ferrari :P That's why I miss the option do-it-yourself.

and XxRebelSeanxX, just buy all the components and put them in a computer case. :) (You could ask a computer shop or a friend to do it.)

wow! I would like a monitor like this :drool:

AMAZINGLY BIG  MONITOR! :drool:
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by Stigmata on 05-27-2004 at 01:29 PM

dell :) cheap reliable :)

but if cash
get alienware :)

patchou even owns one :)

RE: RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by user2319 on 05-27-2004 at 01:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jackass_wanabe
dell :) cheap reliable :)

but if cash
get alienware :)

patchou even owns one :)

who cares that Patchou has one? He's interested in our opinion about which is the best. It doesn't matter that Patchou has an Alienware computer.

Oh yeah, RebelSean, where do you use your computer for (or want to use it for)? What's best for us, doesn't have to be the best for you. Specify, specify :P
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by RebelSean on 05-27-2004 at 01:57 PM

Well for 1 I do alot of streaming, 2 I play games alot! and 3 I post in thi here forums...And I have alot of graphics ;-)

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by user2319 on 05-27-2004 at 04:01 PM

Sorry for my bad English, but *what* do you stream? Games need a good gfx card, nice mouse, tobo, monitor, sound, all input and output devices should be (Y). Posting in the forums is internet and office use, I think. You don't need a great proc and stuff for that :P

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by .blade// on 05-27-2004 at 04:11 PM

Well my 2 cents......or $4000....depending on what u buy :P

Buy a VooDoo gaming laptop if you have the $$
Build your own if you want a desktop.

Anda bout those HUGE monitors - you're better off buying like five 17" LCD's bcz the 5 screen one is $17,000 USD :|

:banana: Some VooDoo Pic.s :banana:

Laptops:
[Image: eM855_1101-TP-A-800x600.jpg]

[Image: eM355_1101-TP-A-800x600.jpg]

Desktops:
[Image: Rage_1219-FR-A-800x600.jpg]

[Image: RAGE_12_11_600x400.jpg]

Compact Desktop:
[Image: F50_front_1-A_640X480.jpg]

:drool:

RE: RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by .blade// on 05-28-2004 at 12:14 AM

quote:
I haven't reset it...I don't even know how to dude :refuck: lol

yes...whenever you edited the poll you re-set it by mistake I guess 8-)
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by RebelSean on 05-28-2004 at 02:34 AM

Wtf??  How did it do that without my permission?? :refuck: :refuck: :refuck:

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by illuzn on 05-28-2004 at 04:19 AM

Just my two bob... I reckon the voodoo pcs are probably better bang for buck wise but in my opinion they're a bit ricey in terms of look. The Gateways and Dells are a little to standard for me in I was in the market for a gateway/dell type computer i would probably build it myself. However, in terms of all out performance the Mach is definitely the way too go... albeit a bit on the expensive side, as well as a bit of overkill...3 monitors?!?!?!

quote:
Anda bout those HUGE monitors - you're better off buying like five 17" LCD's bcz the 5 screen one is $17,000 USD

true however... they aren't joined together in the same way.... notice how the monitors are joined without seams... or so it appears anyway. I'm just wonder what refresh the lcd's are...
quote:
Ultra-Speed™ Display Technology
does that mean that they are 16ms refresh or lower even? That'd be the end of ghosting.

As everyone else has said the best bet would be to build the computer yourself, this may cost slightly more if ur looking for custom towers however. I know that in Australia to get a box like the mach which I reckon looks l337 :D costs a pretty penny $$$$ However, for most of the other parts you can probably get it far cheaper and learn a bit about computers along the way if you make it yourself
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by RebelSean on 05-29-2004 at 01:48 AM

After some reseach I found that a voodoo is a nice comp, but it is expensive....Dell is cheap, but dunno about it..There new gateway out its expensive tho!! 800 something....Not many kewl things in it tho..Keep posting watcha think ;-)

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by calebj14 on 05-29-2004 at 02:46 AM

quote:
What do you guys prefer, a Dell,Gateway,Voodoo, or Mach? I'm looking into a new computer...Need yall's advice plz..:D

If you're not into serious gaming, definitely go for the Mac.  It's as cheap as the Dell when u bring the Dell's specs up to the Bottom of the line eMac.!

Here's a link: Apple Store

You won't regret  it.  If you want, you can even run Windows when you need to with a program called Virtual PC.  Windows 2000 works about the best on it.  MS makes it.  Also, don't forget MS Office 2004.
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by RebelSean on 05-29-2004 at 03:24 AM

I'm lookin at a eMac now...It seems nice..Alot of features..About 800 total without tax..Not bad not bad ;-)

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by .blade// on 05-29-2004 at 03:27 AM

quote:
I'm lookin at a eMac now...It seems nice..Alot of features..About 800 total without tax..Not bad not bad ;-)

* .blade// slaps XxRebelSeanxX around a bit with a large trout

DO NOT BUY AN EMAC OR IMAC! You can't upgrade them and they suck a$$...go for a Windows based PC!!!
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by RebelSean on 05-29-2004 at 03:33 AM

quote:
quote:

* gigablade77 slaps XxRebelSeanxX around a bit with a large trout

DO NOT BUY AN EMAC OR IMAC! You can't upgrade them and they suck a$$...go for a Windows based PC!!!

Ouch that hurt lol :-p, but I haven't desided..Not enough people tellin me what they think and what they like about the product or what they dislike lol :D

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by .blade// on 05-29-2004 at 03:43 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Ouch that hurt lol :-p, but I haven't desided..Not enough people tellin me what they think and what they like about the product or what they dislike lol :D

Mac's have virtually no games, less software than Windows, can't use Plus!, IM software is less advanced, files navigation is messed up...I don't  like the layout of the MAC OS....and come on...a computer named after fruit ;)
RE: RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by user2319 on 05-29-2004 at 07:02 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mac's have virtually no games, less software than Windows, can't use Plus!, IM software is less advanced
Why that? aMSN is a nice alternative to MSN Messenger..

quote:
, files navigation is messed up...I don't  like the layout of the MAC OS
There are a lot of people who like it (the lay-out) much more..

quote:
....and come on...a computer named after fruit ;)
Oh, come on, an OS named windows? ;) Who gives a f#ck what it's called?!

What's so bad about the lay-out?

[Image: indexcallouts10082003.jpg]

IMHO, a Mac has nice gfx.
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by RebelSean on 05-29-2004 at 01:02 PM

quote:
Mac's have virtually no games, less software than Windows, can't use Plus!, IM software is less advanced, files navigation is messed up...I don't  like the layout of the MAC OS....and come on...a computer named after fruit 

Mac's can't use Messenger Plus!? I don't think I'll be gettin that tis this true ;-)

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by bach_m on 05-29-2004 at 03:36 PM

macs are a complettely different platform than WIndows. patchou hasn't written a version for the Mac, and probably never will

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by RebelSean on 05-29-2004 at 09:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
macs are a complettely different platform than WIndows. patchou hasn't written a version for the Mac, and probably never will

:blah: Well then, I don't want a mac without my Plus ;-) I would [Image: blast.gif] away a mac before I would buy one...Keep the responses coming ;-)
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by Guido on 05-30-2004 at 12:08 AM

If it's for gaming, I wouldn't reccommend a Mac.
If it's a desktop, do it yourself or find someone who does it for you (friend, whatever).
If it's a notebook, I don't know :P  I guess Sony, Toshiba, something on those lines.

quote:
Offtopic, but it's not that he won't, it's that he can't.
RE: RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by calebj14 on 05-30-2004 at 01:17 AM

quote:

You will love this machine!  My mom has one and it's great.  He's right though, without voiding the warranty, you cannot upgrade an eMac or an iMac.  You can upgrade the Airport Extreme (802.11g), RAM, and maybe hard drive without voiding warranty.  You can upgrade most everything else if you want to void the warranty.  If you want a truly upgradeable machine, go for a PowerMac G4 or G5.    Right now, gaming wise, PCs are better, because most all games use DirectX and M$ is being stupid and won't port it to Linux or Mac, so Mac OS X has to use the OpenGL part of the game which makes the game slower.  For every other task though, the Mac will outdo the PC in ease of use and stability.  Plug and Play networking, plug and play installation of devices...  etc.

Buy the Mac.  You won't regret it.
RE: RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by calebj14 on 05-30-2004 at 01:28 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mac's have virtually no games, less software than Windows, can't use Plus!, IM software is less advanced, files navigation is messed up...I don't  like the layout of the MAC OS....and come on...a computer named after fruit ;)

Um, it's not true that Macs have virtually no games.  There are plenty!  They have less software than Windoze, true, but that' because all most all of the software written for Mac is quality software, not horribly written stuff, like that for Windoze.  The only reason IM software is less advanced is because the companies don't want to make it more advanced (i.e. MSN Messenger 4.0 for Mac).  But to say that all of it is less advanced is not true.  There are many quality clones, i.e. iChat and Proteus or Fire, or aMSN. The file navigation on a Mac is wonderful!  When was the last time you looked at the navigation?  The layout is great, very neat and clean.  Oh, come on!  an OS named after a household appliance?

see consectutive posts for screenshots
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by calebj14 on 05-30-2004 at 01:30 AM

Finder:
[Image: finderwindow10082003.jpg]

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by calebj14 on 05-30-2004 at 01:34 AM

Expose':

All windows open on desktop:
[Image: indexcallouts10082003.jpg]

Using Expose':
[Image: expose_side2_10082003.jpg]

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by calebj14 on 05-30-2004 at 01:37 AM

iChat AV:

[Image: index_top061703.jpg]

If you go to the Mac OS X website, you can see all of these great features and more.

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by RebelSean on 05-30-2004 at 03:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
If it's a desktop, do it yourself or find someone who does it for you (friend, whatever).
If it's a notebook, I don't know :P  I guess Sony, Toshiba, something on those lines.

quote:

Why can't he??
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by bach_m on 05-30-2004 at 05:39 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Guido

quote:

Why can't he??

Will there ever be a Macintosh version of Messenger Plus! ?

No, there will never be a Macintosh version of Messenger Plus! due to several reasons including these ones:

* I, the author, do not have a Macintosh
    * The Macintosh platform does not have the technology (API) for an add-on like Messenger Plus!

didn't someone say this a few posts above?

enuff with the mac feature-spam
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by illuzn on 05-31-2004 at 03:13 AM

I reckon that the Mac is a better platform for first time computer users or users who haven't used computers much because its interface is certainly a lot more colourful and interactive. Windows needs extra themes and plugins or whatnot to get the same default theming as mac.

However, the PC platform is far better for anybody who wants to do any advanced (read High CPU use) processes. I will give an example from a field I know 3D graphics. Most 3D graphics programs out there that I have encountered were programmed and optimised for PC, with mac versions almost non-existent. Furthermore, those with mac support were no where near as optimised as their PC counterparts. I think its the same for video editing software.

It all comes because a greater proportion of computer users use PCs with Windows, thus there is a higher demand in general for PC software. Hence using supply and demand it is obvious that there will be more PC software.

Yes, it is also clear that much more "junk software" exists for PC just look at all the virii out there most of it is for PC. However, thats the cost of the abundance of software. With any good reputable business comes the dodgy wannabes. Its just a fact of life.

As for games, I reckon there is a stigma attached to Macs amongst youth in that they are "uncool", so games tend also to be oriented towards pc with lesser mac ports.

My advice to you XxRebelSeanxX do the following: Write a brief list of uses your going to use the computer for, then choose a PC accordingly. Theres no need to pick a Voodoo PC if all your going to do is word processing. Conversely a bottom spec Dell will not suit high end gaming

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by RebelSean on 05-31-2004 at 02:19 PM

Well, looks like peps don't vote much hurr....Tis only 10 votes with a mac at the top....I'll leave this thread open for another week to see if I can get anymore responses, otherwise im gonna have to get a mac :D:D....

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by illuzn on 06-01-2004 at 05:57 AM

Oh is that a mac as in Macintosh... oopz... i thought that was as in Mach as in the high performance PC platform.... time to undo my vote then

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by bach_m on 06-01-2004 at 10:47 AM

lol. someone shud really edit that........

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mach? by user2319 on 06-01-2004 at 04:39 PM

some ppl voted Dell? :S

rebelsean: edit your post, then edit the title/subject/...

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by paperless on 06-01-2004 at 09:55 PM

I prefer white brand coz i wanna choose everything for my comp instaed of pre-made configurations

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by RebelSean on 06-01-2004 at 10:33 PM

May I ask what White Brand means??

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by paperless on 06-01-2004 at 10:35 PM

NO brand like gateway, u buy your computer piece by piece.
I dont know if that term exists in USA but it does here :D

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by RebelSean on 06-01-2004 at 10:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PT_KiD
NO brand like gateway, u buy your computer piece by piece.
I dont know if that term exists in USA but it does here :D

Daym right it dont....Btw If you read the whole thread I says that I don't know how to build a computer ;-)
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by paperless on 06-01-2004 at 10:40 PM

But u dont need to know  can go to a shop u choose the pieces u want then u ask the guy to build the computer of ocourse i think u will have to pay a little more money but i think it worths coz brand computers are too hard to personalize like the way u want..

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by RebelSean on 06-02-2004 at 09:37 PM

Wow Dell,Mac, and Voodoo are the same with 4 votes  each  ;-) ...Keep the votes comin..I now have about $950 (American) Dollars to spend ;-)

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by Garndell on 06-02-2004 at 11:14 PM

Build it yourself.

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by paperless on 06-02-2004 at 11:28 PM

Yeah its the best way

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by RebelSean on 06-03-2004 at 12:36 AM

Well, I don't have time lol...I get busy online and shit to do... Honesly I wanna buy a premade one...TOP BRAND/TOP OF DA LINE...

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by illuzn on 06-03-2004 at 12:49 AM

Top brand/ Top of the line on a US$950 budget........... that's like impossible even if you build it yourself

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by user2319 on 06-03-2004 at 05:37 AM

Well, for $950 you can buy a nice comp. Sure, no comp with 2048 MB RAM, but he won't need that anyway :P

You don't have to build it yourself, just let someone else build it for you. Just ask at the local compstore.

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by RebelSean on 06-04-2004 at 04:37 AM

Lol I want a comp with : Dual P4 Processors,2 gel filled ratiators, 120 gig Hd, 400-500 MB DDR ram, and a flat pannel screen lol.. That would be the best comp ever (to me)...

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by illuzn on 06-04-2004 at 04:41 AM

Why gel radiators... go all out liquid nitrogen cooling :D

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by bach_m on 06-04-2004 at 11:00 AM

quote:
Lol I want a comp with : Dual P4 Processors,2 gel filled ratiators, 120 gig Hd, 400-500 MB DDR ram, and a flat pannel screen lol.. That would be the best comp ever (to me)...

and all that for $950? :O in your dreams. thats an expensive computer.

the chips alone might cost about that much...

ur not gonna get anything near that on that budget. either wait a bit longer, which might not be such a bad idea considdering the expected jumps in computer technologies, or get something a little less powerful.

check out pricewatch.com for a better idea of the proce range
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by RebelSean on 06-04-2004 at 01:59 PM

Well I said thats what I "want" lol... It would be nice if I could get it ;-)

RE: RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by user2319 on 06-04-2004 at 04:24 PM

quote:

sucks! :P

I want this "Oh my God box" (Dutch! But just look at the pictures :P)

oh, and.. click here to add it in your shopping cart :)

Really, RebelSean, there's a lot of single-proc comps, which have 1024 MB of RAM. And 120 GB HDD isn't really "extreme"/"god-like".

Why one flat-screen? I want 2 :P
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by RebelSean on 06-06-2004 at 03:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by PlusFan
sucks! :P

I want this "Oh my God box" (Dutch! But just look at the pictures :P)

oh, and.. click here to add it in your shopping cart :)

Really, RebelSean, there's a lot of single-proc comps, which have 1024 MB of RAM. And 120 GB HDD isn't really "extreme"/"god-like".

Why one flat-screen? I want 2 :P

I want 2 flat screens, but don't realy see the use in it.... That sucks?? Man I thought that would be a awesome comp!;-)

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by s7a5 on 06-06-2004 at 04:15 AM

a best computer is when u build it on your own or get an alienware

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by Garndell on 06-06-2004 at 04:18 AM

And for those that like laptops....

http://www.evesham.com/PCs/List.asp?e=33F4D6D3-5C...-A8A1-630D45604AD3

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by Vantage on 06-06-2004 at 04:56 AM

Dell or Mac for sure

Mach = So copied Alienware!

RE: RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by user2319 on 06-06-2004 at 08:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by S7a5
a best computer is when u build it on your own or get an alienware

Is that so? I'm going to build my own comp this week (parts will probably be here Wednesday). Is there some "wow-I-built-it-myself"-feeling? Or do you mean that when you build it yourself it's "a best computer", because you can choose the parts yourself?
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by RebelSean on 06-06-2004 at 04:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
And for those that like laptops....

http://www.evesham.com/PCs/List.asp?e=33F4D6D3-5C...-A8A1-630D45604AD3

Those are nice laptops dude ;-)

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by RebelSean on 06-14-2004 at 11:10 PM

Looks like im gettin a dell! lol...I will close da poll in 3 days..So vote guys!

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by user2319 on 06-15-2004 at 06:40 PM

quote:
I want a gaming comp, but not for like java script games..I wanna play 3D and 4D games...

Then don't even consider Dell. The best is that you let the local computerstore build it. You said you had $950, right? A system like this might be nice then (I got it from the Tweakers.net Best buy Guide May 2004, but slightly modified it.)

This is a ~1000 Euro budget gaming PC.

• Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2800+
  • Motherboard: Asus A7N8X Deluxe
  • 2x Memory: TwinMos 256MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
  • Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
  • Sound & Ethernet: Onboard
  • Hard disk: Maxtor 120GB DiamondMax Plus 9
  • DVD-burner: NEC ND-2500 (Black)
  • DVD-player: LG 16x48x (Black)
  • USB Pendrive: PenDrive 64MB USB2.0
  • Case: AOpen QF50A Black 300W
  • Monitor: Philips 109P40
  • Speakers: Logitech Z-640
  • Headset: Labtec Headset 331 Stereo
  • Keyboard: Logitech Internet Keyboard Black
  • Mouse: Logitech MX510 Optical Mouse

As you can see, it's very complete (DVD-burner, USB Pendrive, nice gaming speakers, headset, gaming mouse, ...) set.

Look at the pictures+story why component x is chosen here: http://www.tweakers.net/reviews/494/3

If you buy a Dell, you'll probably need to buy a headset, you won't have a gaming mouse, no USB-Pendrive, you won't have a system for gaming but for Internet+Office use, so you'll need a better grafical card, ...

Oh, btw, the system doesn't have a floppy drive. The persons who made the Guide prefer USB Pendrives. But ofcourse, you could ask the local computerstore to put a floppy drive in it (they are ~6 euros)

So what you do is this: You print out the list, go to the local computer store and ask the person overthere how much money he will need to build a system with these components. Then you write it down, walk to 2 other computer stores, and also write the prices down. Then you look for a comparable Dell/HP/... system, and also write these prices down. Then ask for opinions here :P

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by mad_onion on 06-15-2004 at 07:37 PM

I dont really mind what you get, most PC are pretty good deals now anyway.:D. But I would go for Alienware http://www.alienware.co.uk
I must pled with you to not buy a mac. You can probaly tell why from whats under my avatar. I had one for quite a while but would never get another, they're just plain bad.
What Blade said was correct, its hard to use or understand and the file navigation is unbeliveable. It really eye scratchingly terrible.:@
If you need evidence just take Calebj14 as an example. He, like all other mac users, tries too hard in promoting the products of apple. It makes him sound desperate for you to buy a mac which I think is a big sign of denial of the truth. You dont see Windows© users going to far to promote the product because they know its good.
In conclusion
Microsoft©, Windows©,Messenger and Plus!(Y)
apple, mac, ipod an OSX(N)

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by user2319 on 06-15-2004 at 08:03 PM

:rofl: Microsfot rules? OMG! Act normally! Pul-lease! MS is about the worst company I know. Their misuse of their monopoly is so !@#$*!(%&()%   ! And they are not innovative. They just rip idease, do some bad coding, and sell it as if it's the best OS ever. Microsoft's marketing rules, but it's OS certainly does not.

Do you have any affilition with MS? Do you work for MS? I know only one person who likes MS, and that's Patchou. Well, I don't know if he likes MS, but he hates Linux :P

sorry for my typos, I'm typing this very quickly.

edit: Aha! Found it! :dodgy: You promote MS Windows, ppl will use Windows, their computer gets infected with a *lot* of viri, your brother is happy.

quote:
PS my brothers a windows xp technician and hhe couldnt fix it but any help would be great.

Click the quote to view the topic in which he posted it

edit2: This is also :dodgy:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=27019 The way he asks some questions is like he works for MS and wants to know why linux users use linux, and how MS can avoid (more) people using linux. :dodgy:

quote:
please could you tell me where to download longhorn4074?
Thanks

He must know that that's illegal. Windows is paid software, you can't d/l it legally :P If he works for MS, he would like to stop the spreading of Longhorn. <_<

Sure, I don't *really* think he works for MS, but I don't trust the guy!
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by Garndell on 06-15-2004 at 08:12 PM

best sites I have found to "build your own" PC:

well for those in the US:

www.newegg.com

those in the UK:

http://www.pcindex.co.uk
http://uk.pricerunner.com

AND

to add my oar into the M$ debate.

As soon as Linux can come up with a COMPATIBLE with lots of software old & new for the DESKTOP PC I will consider using it for more than the occasional tinker.  I use Windows because it will run exactly what I want without loading some problematic "emulator" which increases the load on the CPU in the first case.

M$ may not be the best company in the world but at least they know where people put their money.

Disclaimer: I do use Linux & I am not anti-linux perse, but until they learn that the big world outdoors is a vicious place I think they are in la-la land.

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by mad_onion on 06-15-2004 at 08:18 PM

ok then, well Patchou and me have quite a lot in common i also hate linux. I wont go into why now because this isnt really the place but I would like to speak to Patchou, we would probaly have a lot to talk about.:D
I believe that Microsoft© Windows©XP is a superior OS and that everyone should use it.
I wouldn't like to comment about any possible affiliations with Microsoft© or its Windows© products.

RE: RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by user2319 on 06-15-2004 at 08:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion
ok then, well Patchou and me have quite a lot in common i also hate linux. I wont go into why now because this isnt really the place but I would like to speak to Patchou, we would probaly have a lot to talk about.:D
I believe that Microsoft© Windows©XP is a superior OS and that everyone should use it.
I wouldn't like to comment about any possible affiliations with Microsoft© or its Windows© products.

The "c"'s are not commonly used, and he refuses to speak about any affiliation with Microsoft. I think this is not normal. mad_onion, I would like to contact you privately, and discuss about this further. You can PM me.

Garndell: la-la land rules :D

just joking, Windows compatability is getting better. What compatability do you exactly mean, btw? Word compatability, or [insert something here] compatability?

edit: his sig!!
quote:
Microsoft© Windows©XP
As I said before, these Cs aren't commonly used, and there's no reason to use them, unless you are afraid people will not know that Microsoft and Windows are protected names. Even more offtopic: I thinkWindows shouldn't even be protected anyway :) I also have "windows", in LInux. My browsers is a "window". I use a windowing system, to create 'windows'.

Edit2: I apologise for going this far off-topic. I will not discuss about this in this thread anymore, and hope that if anyone wants to add something, he/she will start a new topic.
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by Garndell on 06-15-2004 at 08:27 PM

If Patchou worked for M$ wouldn't Plus! be integrated into Windows by now?  It is that good ;)

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by mad_onion on 06-15-2004 at 08:32 PM

What do you mean "Windows© compatibility is getting better"
Microsoft© Windows©XP is far superior to any other OS as it is. I agree it will improve but but you make it sound as though the OS has poor compatibility. This is obvious not true. Please explain yourself further.
Longhorn is an early development product that should not be distributed to the general public. This was made extremely clear when it was given out to a chosen few developers. Download or purchase of this beta software is illegal. It is not safe for any other users than those who were given express permission to use it for development purposes. Other users could endanger the safety and stability of their systems.
Again, I wouldn't like to comment about any possible affiliations with Microsoft© or its Windows© products.

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by user2319 on 06-15-2004 at 08:39 PM

I will not discuss this in this thread, as this thread has an other topic title. Please, PM me or start a new topic.

[offtopic]Raceprouk, PM me[/offtopic]

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by bach_m on 06-15-2004 at 09:04 PM

quote:

Again, I wouldn't like to comment about any possible affiliations with Microsoft© or its Windows© products.

Bill??? is that you?

:refuck:

tell me, why has microsoft not released a major revision to its flagship consumer OS since 2001, but Apple may very well release a 5th revision to OS X since 2001 if 10.4 is released this year?
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by mad_onion on 06-15-2004 at 09:14 PM

Microsoft© feels that it is better for customers to receive high quality changes with more content and stability. This cannot be achieved by releasing many relativley small updates in a short period. Microsoft© wishes to give the biggest possible improvement with the lowest cost to the consumer, is believed that this is the best way to achieve this.

RE: RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by bach_m on 06-15-2004 at 09:25 PM

quote:
Microsoft© feels that it is better for customers to receive high quality changes with more content and stability. This cannot be achieved by releasing many relativley small updates in a short period. Microsoft© wishes to give the biggest possible improvement with the lowest cost to the consumer, is believed that this is the best way to achieve this.

what are these "high quality" changes? allowing us to remove windows components to comply with US anti trust laws? or the "security center" in SP2 that alerts ppl that their PCs are insecure and tells them how to fix it so that you get less bad press about security holes?

OS X updates have not been small.

The Carbon API implementation was complete enough in 10.1 to allow for important 3rd party applications such as Adobe Photoshop to be released for Mac OS X.

10.2 was a significant improvement in most areas. It also introduced Quartz Extreme, an integrated hardware acceleration layer for rendering on-screen objects by compositing them using primarily the GPU on supported graphics cards.

10.3 added a brand new Finder, and expose, as well as fast user switching and many others.

not small updates at all.

and why is it htat the number of security holes in XP, that allow for worms to propagate at an allarming pace, has been so large. theres a new worm every month.

only 1 OS X virus in the last 3 yrs. and it wasn't wide spread. Windows worms bring down massive web sites and fill inboxes to no avail.

1 more edit: whats wrong wit hthe iPod?! i love my iPod. is it the simple navigation? the seamless integration with iTunes? or the Music store that allows me to purcahse music that i want and audio books that sound AMAZING on it?!!?!?
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by RebelSean on 06-22-2004 at 12:02 AM

Oh well I guese im gettin a dell or mac one... still lookin threw catalogs and talkin to my isp...:D

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by .blade// on 06-22-2004 at 12:39 AM

Voodoo or bust, that's all I have to say - they're worth the extra money.

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by Garndell on 06-22-2004 at 11:18 AM

I can offer but 1 tip, of the choices given go Voodoo.

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by RebelSean on 07-02-2004 at 02:51 PM

quote:

Why get a voodoo? Explain plz lol...:D
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by Pyroteq on 07-02-2004 at 03:13 PM

new Mac G5 with a 30inch screen:p

RE: RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by Garndell on 07-02-2004 at 03:49 PM

quote:
quote:

Why get a voodoo? Explain plz lol...:D

Gateway suck.
Mac way too expensive, too many flaws according to RECENT reports & not 100% compatible.
Dell, can't say a nice word about them.
Voodoo, top notch PC's with excellent performance & excellent Tech Support.
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by RebelSean on 07-03-2004 at 02:30 AM

Any deals on a voodoo? Eg less than $700 american?

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by bach_m on 07-03-2004 at 03:40 AM

quote:

i picked a random voodoo model (they have 4) and priced it, and it was $1996.36, ammerican. theyre not cheap. they're gaming machines.... high end.

for a $700 machine, go dell. i've had nothing but good things about those.

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by .blade// on 07-03-2004 at 04:43 AM

quote:

:lol:.....:lol:!!!

That's like trying to find a new Ferrari for the price of a Ford :lol:!

I spent $2500 (after taxes) Canadian for my Dell PC 2 years ago and have had several major problems with it...they tend to go with lower-end hard-drives and other parts to keep costs down. if AT ALL possible, go with a VooDoo, you won't regret it.

I mean here's more reason to buy a VooDoo ;):

[Image: jesus_approves.jpg]
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by user2319 on 07-05-2004 at 06:09 PM

My uncle from America has visited last weekend, and he's got this amazing Mac laptop... Oh man, I would love to have one soooo badly! And MacOS 10.3 is amazing :D And he's very satisfied with his laptop, and tells everyone who says or asks something about his laptop that Mac is the best. I don't think you'll regret buying a Mac. And mad_onion/future world dictator Bill G., You don't care about customers, and lowest cost, only about the customer's money!

quote:
Other users could endanger the safety and stability of their systems.
Duh, it's a Windows OS :lol:

Oh yeah, please, in Longhorn, don't tell me that my computer is now safer and more secure. It's a lie! Even if Windows was secure, before installing Windows, my computer wasn't even connected to the outside world!

And please improve your browser, or just ship Opera or Mozilla Firefox with longhorn instead of the most crappy© browser available.

And Eudora instead of Outlook

And make Windows secure and stable

So no Win-spyware© is installed every ~10 minutes when people click on "Download these fantastic smilies now"© <-- and that pop-up shouldn't be displayed, if IE had a pop-up blocker!

And make it possible to "reboot in DOS-mode"© like in the win9x times.

And, and, and...
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by expert on 07-05-2004 at 06:12 PM

i got a gateway monitor and they have great quality[Image: biggrin.gif]

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by Garndell on 07-05-2004 at 11:17 PM

Plusfan, it was recently & INDEPENDANTLY found that the Mac OS has more critical flaws that M$ (Percentage wise).  Of all flaws a higher percentage of the total were critical in the Mac than in Linux or Windows.  I'm looking for the report now & will post it when I find it.

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by Dane on 07-06-2004 at 02:09 AM

I'd definatly say Gateway.  They replaced everything inside of my computer except the HD (which was fine) after a CD exploded and damaged all of it.

Plus they have GREAT customer service and support!

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by Garndell on 07-06-2004 at 03:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by eXoenDo
I'd definatly say Gateway.  They replaced everything inside of my computer except the HD (which was fine) after a CD exploded and damaged all of it.

Plus they have GREAT customer service and support!

Was the CD Bomb Making for Idiots by any chance?
RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by RebelSean on 07-10-2004 at 02:03 PM

What do you guys think of this dell

Dell DimensionTM  XPS Gen 3

quote:
Originally posted by dell.com

If you're looking for a gaming system that provides the power and performance needed to run today's hottest games with crisp 3D graphics, incredible sound, and massive storage capabilities, the Dell DimensionTM  XPS Gen 3 desktop offers everything you want and much more. Using an ATI® RadeonTM  graphics card with PCI Express (PCIe) technology for more graphics bandwidth, the XPS Gen 3 delivers superb high-resolution graphics capability and visual realism. It comes standard with a Sound Blaster®  Audigy 2 (D)1 sound card, delivering high-definition 24-bit, 96KHz audio performance with a 100dB signal-to-noise ratio that rivals high-end home stereos and home theater systems. You'll also appreciate this machine's awesome graphics and sound performance when you enjoy your favorite DVD movies, music, personal videos and photos. The new version of Dell Media ExperienceTM  software included with the system provides an easy-to-use interface and optional remote control for all of your media applications.

The XPS Gen 3 system, housed in a Venice blue chassis with midnight gray and brushed silver accents, also sports some attractive new visual design changes. The Dell badge and shield glow bright blue on the front of the chassis and this color can be selected in the BIOS setup from seven color options.

Designed for Expansion

The XPS Gen 3 is our most expandable Dimension providing tons of options. Customize your ideal machine now and add other components later. When it's time to make changes, you'll appreciate the easy opening, clamshell design that provides convenient and tool-free access. The system supports:

5 expansion slots (4 PCI & 1 PCIe x1)
1 PCIe x16 slot
3 internal 3.5" bays
3 external 5.25" bays
1 IEEE 1394 port (front)
8 USB 2.0 ports (2 front/6 back)

There's also a convenient foldaway door on the front that conceals two of the USB 2.0 ports as well as the IEEE1394, headphone and microphone connections.

Delivering Ultimate Performance

Engineered to provide top-notch performance for today's latest 3D games, XPS Gen 3 features a 460-watt power supply that is located in a separate compartment at the bottom of the chassis to reduce thermal effects on the rest of the system. Two low-profile fans quietly cool the power supply while three additional fans cool the rest of the system. Each fan is independently monitored and thermally controlled. The XPS Gen 3 is built around the new Intel®  925X chipset with an 800 MHz front side bus. It supports the latest Intel® Pentium®  4 processors with Hyper-Threading Technology at speeds up to 3.6 GHz, dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM memory running at 533 MHz, and comes with integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit2 Ethernet.

With data transfer rates up to 150 MB per second, Serial ATA hard drives are available that support up to 400 GB. Using multiple drives on the integrated ICH6-R controller, HDD configurations up to 1.2 Terabytes are available. Optical drive options include:

48X/24X/48X CD-RW/DVD combination
12X DVD+RW+R3
48X/ 32X/48X CD-RW
48X CD-ROM or 16X DVD-ROM

Create Your Dream Machine

Customize your own ultimate gaming machine. Choose the options you want and select from an impressive array of gamer-approved peripherals, such as Logitech®  MX-500 and MX-700 mice, high-end 5.1 speakers like the Logitech Z-680s and the Kipsch®  ProMedia Ultra 5.1s, and several joysticks and game controllers. You get it all with the XPS Gen 3 — a powerful PC that supports intense gaming at its best and dedicated Dimension XPS system technical phone support. Design your own awesome gaming system, and let us build your dream machine. It's easy as Dell.

And what yall think of this gateway

Gateway 510T

quote:
Originally posted by gateway.com

Gateway 510T 

PRODUCT DETAILS

Special Offer:   Free 3 Months of Napster Premium Services Subscription, $30 Value and 20 free song Downloads from Napsters huge Library, $20 value.

Operating System:   Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

Application Software:   Microsoft® Works Suite 2004 - including Microsoft® Word and Encarta 

AntiVirus Software:   Norton AntiVirus 90 day introductory offer

Processor:   Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 3.00GHz with hyper-threading technology and 800MHz FSB

Chipset:   Intel® 865GV Chipset

Memory:   256MB 333MHz DDR SDRAM (2-128MB modules)

Hard Drive:   80GB Ultra ATA100 7200rpm hard drive

Optical Drive:   48x/24x/48x CD-RW

Extended Service Plan Including Limited Warranty:   Desktop Value Service Plan -- 1 year parts/labor/no on-site/1 year technical support

Case:   Gateway Micro-Tower Case

Controller:   Integrated Ultra ATA Controller

Expansion Slots:   3 PCI

External Ports:   (8) USB 2.0 (2 in front and 6 in back), Parallel, Serial and (2) PS/2

Certification:   Energy Star Compliant

Monitors:   17" color monitor (15.9" viewable area)

Video:   Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics 2

Keyboard:   104+ Keyboard

Mouse:   Logitech PS/2 Mouse

Music Sampler:   Napster 2.0 and 150 Song Sampler (pre-loaded on hard disk)

Sound System:   Integrated stereo audio

Speaker System:   2-piece speaker solution

Modem:   56K PCI data/fax modem

Network Adapter:   Integrated Intel® 10/100 Ethernet Adapter

Internet Service Provider:   Six months America Online® Internet access

Part Number:   1008053/2900454

ADDITIONAL TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Processor:
3.0GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 processor
1MB level 2 cache
800MHz front side bus
Intel® Hyper-threading Technology

Chipset:
Intel® 865GV

Memory slots:
Four 184 pin DDR SDRAM dual inline memory module (DIMM) sockets
Support for single or double sided DIMMS

Disk controller:
1-floppy disk drive channel
2-IDE channels each supporting 2 devices
ICH5 dual channel Ultra ATA/DMA 33/66/100
2-Serial ATA channels each supporting 1 device

Audio:
Integrated ICH AC97 version 2.1 ADI 1985 Audio
SoundBlaster® compatible

Case:
Gateway® Micro-tower Case
14.44" H x 7"W x 15.38"D 

Power Supply:
200 Watts 110/220 Switchable 

Expansion Bays:
External
Two 5.25" bays
Two 3.5" bays
Internal
One 3.5" bay 

Expansion Slots:
3 PCI Slots

USB ports:
Total of 8 version 2.0 USB ports
2 in the front
6 in the back

Other ports:
1 PS/2
1 parallel
1 VGA
1 serial
1 Line in
1 line out
1 microphone in

Certifications:
UL 1950, CSA C22.2, FCC Class B, WHQL, ICES-003, Microsoft MDA 2003, Energy Star Compliant

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by Garndell on 07-10-2004 at 04:26 PM

Of those the Dell is better, even though it is overpriced, crap Tech Support, Crap everything really.

With this post I do NOT say Dell are good PC's in any way shape or form.

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by user27089 on 07-10-2004 at 08:23 PM

get a voodoo

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by RebelSean on 07-11-2004 at 04:20 AM

quote:
Of those the Dell is better, even though it is overpriced, crap Tech Support, Crap everything really.

With this post I do NOT say Dell are good PC's in any way shape or form.

That is what I was thinking. I dunno if the computer it's self is bad, but I have hurd for tons of people about the tech support, but I have my own computer guru, hurr name is Arte, As for the overpricing, I need some more info on that!

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
get a voodoo

Why? Gime reasons lol.

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by Garndell on 07-11-2004 at 06:12 AM

Well if you look at the link you posted to the Dell.  It doesn't tell you configurations but promises brand new technologies like PCIe Radeon Graphics Cards (Talking expensive) but by not showing details like configurations OR prices it is reasonable to assume it will be overpriced, making Voodoo seem cheap ;)

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by RebelSean on 07-11-2004 at 03:28 PM

But it does look like a nice comp, and I think there is somehow I can get the specs and post them here. I will try and do that. But I still don't think it will be that expensive just by looking at the stuff it had posted with it.

Neways I will check out some used voodoo comps on ebay if they have some.

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by x4nder on 07-11-2004 at 06:50 PM

if u got the money then try this
http://www.go-l.com/desktops/machl38/features/index.htm

RE: Dell,Gateway, Or Mac? by RebelSean on 07-11-2004 at 07:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by x4nder
if u got the money then try this
http://www.go-l.com/desktops/machl38/features/index.htm

I don't see a price on that page for it. But I read it and I see that it is a good product.