Shoutbox

See who has Plus! - The Easier Way - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way (/showthread.php?tid=25890)

See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by rompom7 on 05-24-2004 at 11:13 AM

Heres my idea:

MSN Plus! puts a unique character or code at the end of your MSN name (hopefully an invisible character)

So when you look at your MSN list it Plus! will give everyone with that code / character a special icon on your list.

See Attached Image for an idea on how it might look.

Thanks all
rompom

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by Choli on 05-24-2004 at 11:16 AM

that has been discussed before and Patchou, the creator of plus, decided that the best way is add the /ping command. Using it you'll know which contacts have plus installed.

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by tntnnbltn on 05-24-2004 at 11:33 AM

When you view the Contact Information you can check if the other person has Plus! by using the /ping command then saves the result.

When I first saw the previews for Plus! 3 I thought that the Plus! icon in the conversation windows was only present when you confirmed the other user had Plus!. However, it's just in everyone's conversations... but I would still like a feature like that implemented.

From there it might be possible for example to filter out Plus! commands for certain groups of individuals (say, those who do not have Plus!). That way if you format the text or play a sound it just appears as normal text on the computer of the non-Plus! user.

Hehe, sorry for ranting a bit there.

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by rompom7 on 05-24-2004 at 11:35 AM

Just a question. Why was this moved? I posted it in the plugins forum.

Also 3 problems with the /ping function

1) The llamas that don't have MSN Plus! Installed will get confused and eat excessive amouts of fish.

2) If you have a big contact list it will be a pain in the ass pinging everyone.

3) You will probably forget who has Plus! and who doesn't, therefore have to ping people almost MSN session. This will get annoying for you and them.

If the character / code in their MSN name wont work then how about when you sign in it sends a popup to everyone saying that you have signed in and that you run Plus! then Plus! remembers whos got it and who doesn't.

the only problem i see with the above is that it might create 2 popups... one sent by the MSN service, and one sent by Plus!

RE: RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by rompom7 on 05-24-2004 at 11:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tntnnbltn

From there it might be possible for example to filter out Plus! commands for certain groups of individuals (say, those who do not have Plus!). That way if you format the text or play a sound it just appears as normal text on the computer of the non-Plus! user.

Hehe, sorry for ranting a bit there.

Yes that is a good idea also.
RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by whYeNQue on 05-24-2004 at 01:41 PM

yeh and another problem with the ping thing is that even if it does tell you in the MESSENGER (not MSN) plus! contact information if they log on at another computer that doesnt have plus, you will start doing plus! things and it can get messy!

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by rompom7 on 05-25-2004 at 06:43 AM

I get MSN and msg mixed up all the time :P

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by Patchou on 05-25-2004 at 06:48 AM

After you've done a /ping with a contact, the information is stored. You can quickly get it by typing /info.

I'm sorry I won't change it, if I did, some people wouldn't like it. I suggest you to suppose everyone on y6our lsit has plus!, and if they don't have it, send it to them ;) (I know, it's easy for me to answer that :p)

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by rompom7 on 05-25-2004 at 06:56 AM

There has to be a discrete way that Plus! can recognise who has it and who doesnt.

I just brainstormed this idea.

How about when you start typing, not only does it say your typing a message, but that you have Plus! running. Is that possible?

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by matty on 05-25-2004 at 11:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rompom7
There has to be a discrete way that Plus! can recognise who has it and who doesnt.

I just brainstormed this idea.

How about when you start typing, not only does it say your typing a message, but that you have Plus! running. Is that possible?

There is, using the protocol to transfer data over, BUT I have spoke to Patchou about it, and this is a no way! He wont use any type of internet protocol to transfer data.
RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by rompom7 on 05-26-2004 at 08:59 AM

Ok heres another.

When you sign into messenger, Plus! quickly adds some code / character on to the end of your name, waits however long it takes for messenger clients to detect the name change, and change it back to normal (all in the timeframe of about 1 second?). Then Plus! detects a person has Plus! when they sign in and change name for a second.

This seems possible to me, and not too ugly for people without Plus!

Patchou, what do you think?

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by Kilomil on 05-26-2004 at 02:39 PM

I would also really like some better and easier way to see if someone has got plus!...
And furthermore, I would like to be able to see what version of plus! they're running :)
In one way or another... figure out something Patchou :D

Best Regards
Kilomil

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by KeyStorm on 05-26-2004 at 02:40 PM

That has been suggested so many times before (this one with the nick was mine :@ :P). He said noway and noway it will stay until he changes his mind.
Requesting it constantly won't help. I think it's a good idea, too. But he won't.
That's it, I'm afraid... :-/

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by Zink on 05-26-2004 at 04:02 PM

the nick renaming was a good idea (Y) .. it doesn't slow down the server :D ... I think n_nU.. or it does it? :S

if it doesn't.. then what's the reason don't adding that feature? :S

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by KeyStorm on 05-26-2004 at 04:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
After you've done a /ping with a contact, the information is stored. You can quickly get it by typing /info.

I'm sorry I won't change it, if I did, some people wouldn't like it. I suggest you to suppose everyone on y6our lsit has plus!, and if they don't have it, send it to them ;) (I know, it's easy for me to answer that :p)

:-/ That doesn't convince me either, since it would be optional, but anyway... It won't be changed :cry:
RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by EvilSeph on 05-26-2004 at 05:06 PM

What if you don't want your contacts to know you have plus? because some people are annoying and flood you with sounds (that you can turn off, but might not want to?) Honestly, it's a privacy issue, always has been, always will be. I stand by Patchou, the current feature/procedure suffices.

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by Concord Dawn on 05-26-2004 at 06:01 PM

What about a plugin? That way you can pass it around to everyone and your name will change when you log in which tells everyone that you have plus. Something like I have Messenger Plus! 3!, then change back to your real name.

RE: RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by Kilomil on 05-26-2004 at 06:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by EvilSeph
What if you don't want your contacts to know you have plus? because some people are annoying and flood you with sounds (that you can turn off, but might not want to?) Honestly, it's a privacy issue, always has been, always will be. I stand by Patchou, the current feature/procedure suffices.

Okay I see what you mean, but then I have an addition more you can add Patchou..
You can make it possible to block sounds from people you think are annoying and are flooding!
(Y)(Y)(Y)

Best Regards
Kilomil
RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by Choli on 05-26-2004 at 06:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
What about a plugin? That way you can pass it around to everyone and your name will change when you log in which tells everyone that you have plus. Something like I have Messenger Plus! 3!, then change back to your real name.
then all people would need the plugin to know what your nick change means (that you have plus) and so all the people would need to have plus: conclusion: everybody would use plus so there wouldn't be any need for a plugin :^)

Also, suppose you have the plugin... If you want know if I have plus installed or not, you should send it to me and then I install it. Isn't it easier that you ask me if I have plus or not?
RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by CookieRevised on 05-26-2004 at 08:14 PM

quote:
What if you don't want your contacts to know you have plus? because some people are annoying and flood you with sounds (that you can turn off, but might not want to?)
You obviously could disable the "Show I'm a Plus user" setting ;) (which would be OFF by default)

quote:
Honestly, it's a privacy issue
Not if you can decide for yourself if you want to send the "identifier"...

quote:
always has been, always will be. I stand by Patchou, the current feature/procedure suffices.
true to that (y)

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by KeyStorm on 05-26-2004 at 08:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
(which would be OFF by default)
I would rather prompt a confirmation at the first messenger sign in. Because most people won't know about that feature and will leave it off... :-/
RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by CookieRevised on 05-26-2004 at 10:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
quote:
I would rather prompt a confirmation at the first messenger sign in. Because most people won't know about that feature and will leave it off... :-/
That goes for many features then... Should they all have a prompt at the very first sign in then?
RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by Concord Dawn on 05-26-2004 at 10:46 PM

Well, people should be able to choose whether of not they want this plugin. Someone should create a poll.

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by KeyStorm on 05-26-2004 at 10:48 PM

This would be the most relevant concerning privacy. MP! could rely in automatically detect other contacts having MP! to interact with them in other ways. So it would be an important feature. Everyone should be sure they checked unchecked it since many features would be used or not depending on it.

Question answered?

Anyway, this is not going to be added, so why are we discussing? :grin:

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by MC Inferno on 05-26-2004 at 11:10 PM

quote:
Just a question. Why was this moved? I posted it in the plugins forum.

Because it's not going to be a plug in, it'll be incroperated into Msg. Plus! (Patch said no, but you know what I mean). (I personally think that the should be a sector named "Idea's and Suggestions." :P)

quote:

1) The llamas that don't have MSN Plus! Installed will get confused and eat excessive amouts of fish.

WTF?!?!?!?!? :S

quote:
2) If you have a big contact list it will be a pain in the ass pinging everyone.

True......

quote:
3) You will probably forget who has Plus! and who doesn't, therefore have to ping people almost MSN session. This will get annoying for you and them.

A Word Profile reminding you? Put it in their custom names? The Contact Infomation box provided by Msg. Plus!? :S

quote:
That has been suggested so many times before (this one with the nick was mine :@ :P). He said noway and noway it will stay until he changes his mind.
Requesting it constantly won't help. I think it's a good idea, too. But he won't.
That's it, I'm afraid...

Said it in one.

quote:

Unless they want to know, most ppl wont care......

quote:
Originally posted by Kilomil
Okay I see what you mean, but then I have an addition more you can add Patchou..
You can make it possible to block sounds from people you think are annoying and are flooding!

Best Regards
Kilomil

Off-topic!

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
That goes for many features then... Should they all have a prompt at the very first sign in then?

Both good points. at first, I agreed with KeyStorm, but I guess i'm on cookie's side now. If you install Msg. Plus! you should go through the options, thats what you downloaded it for :P

quote:
Well, people should be able to choose whether of not they want this plugin. Someone should create a poll.

If Patch isn't gonna do it, whats the point?

quote:
This would be the most relevant concerning privacy. MP! could rely in automatically detect other contacts having MP! to interact with them in other ways. So it would be an important feature. Everyone should be sure they checked unchecked it since many features would be used or not depending on it.

Question answered?

Anyway, this is not going to be added, so why are we discussing?

Yep :P That was probably my longest post ever..... I hardly did anything, hahahaha!
RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by lylesback2 on 05-26-2004 at 11:30 PM

P-R-I-V-A-C-Y....

top issue, and bottom issue...

it's a good idea, but it's also a bad idea... modifying MSN is not questionable

RE: RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by Kilomil on 05-26-2004 at 11:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno
quote:
Originally posted by Kilomil

Best Regards
Kilomil

Off-topic!

I do not think it is off topic since he was concerned that if everyon in his list knew he had plus! he would get flooded with sound commands from individuals who cannot control their lust!
I just came with a solution for a problem concerning this topic, therefore not off topic in my oppinion
It's directly related :P

Best Regards
Kilomil

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by jordanspringer on 05-27-2004 at 01:40 AM

someone develop a plugin, (since patchou wont... )for plus that shows a "plus logo icon" in a conversation window, indicating that someone has plus installed.(kinda like the webcam icon). have the script do an invisible ping or something... who knows

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by bnevets27 on 05-27-2004 at 02:33 AM

well i don't see how its a privacy issue really b/c if u use some of the features in plus! it makes it obvious that u have it, like auto msg, auto accept, come back msg etc..... so u obviousily don't care if ppl know.

now the ping issue, alot of my friends have multiple comps in there house. ie. family comp and there own comp, now if there on there family comp and aren't supossed to download or install anything on it then they won't have plus! on it, but when they switch over to there own comp that has plus!........i won't know that now they have plus unless i do another ping request. How do i know which one there on? so everytime they come online i have to do a ping request?
thats anoyin for me AND them.

also i would have to say the average user doesn't understand when Ping shows up on there screen, everyone i do a ping request to r like what??? if they have plus it makes sence to them, if not i have to expalin to them what it was etc, kinda a pain....

Also what the heck is the point of the ping request its just as easy to ask if they have plus!..

just my 2 cents

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by rompom7 on 05-27-2004 at 12:35 PM

Thank you all for the replies, here is what should be done. In my opion: -

- In the Preferences of Plus! there is the option "Reveal Plus! to other users" or maybe in the install wizard. (I personally think that it should be default ON, who is going to want to hide such a great tool? But I dont mind default OFF either.)

- You sign into Messenger and for about 1 second Plus! changes your name to include a certain code, Then it changes it back.

- Plus! sees contacts sign in, change their name to include a certain code, then change it back. Now Plus! knows that they have Plus! aswell. It then displays a custom icon for the users running Plus!.

I cannot see how this will invade privacy, infact it would INCREASE the privacy of showing Plus!. If I were to /ping someone that was trying to hide Plus! then I would see that they have it. BUT if on my list I see that the person doesn't have Plus! (they disabled "Reveal Plus! to other users") then I am not going to bother to /ping them.

Please Patchou, this would be a really great addition to Plus!

I would like to hear you opion.

Regards
James

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by KeyStorm on 05-27-2004 at 01:06 PM

There is an option to not to reply to MP! Ping. iirc.
Anyway, if some day Patchou is going to add this, he will know what the best way is (hey he's your god :bow: :P).

Let's just wait until he decided to add it...

Thread closed IMO...

RE: RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by elliot on 05-27-2004 at 06:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bnevets27
Also what the heck is the point of the ping request its just as easy to ask if they have plus!..

I'm just guessing, but I think the point of the ping command, is to ping people ;)
RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by bnevets27 on 05-27-2004 at 07:54 PM

i mean that its no easyer then just askin :P

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by Kilomil on 05-28-2004 at 12:14 AM

quote:
Especially if they do not have it then you have to explain... if you just ask that's it, unless they're curious to know more about it, but that just one more on the team :D and you can redirect them directly to the homepage to read for themselfes ;)
Best Regards
RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by bnevets27 on 05-28-2004 at 02:11 AM

yup, i do my share of promoting plus! unfortunately most of my contacts don't have it, kinda sucks, its b/c there not that smart with comps so they install msn and thats about as far as there knowledge goes

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by rompom7 on 05-28-2004 at 08:18 AM

Yes I have the same problem as bnevets

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by lhunath on 05-28-2004 at 08:53 AM

quote:
its b/c there not that smart with comps so they install msn and thats about as far as there knowledge goes
Toss em the url of the installer's exe and all they have to do is click it ;) Then keep clicking continue =P
RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by bnevets27 on 05-28-2004 at 07:59 PM

lol its in my name, they don't like dowloadin stuff, there scared of downloadin stuff or there not supossed 2

anyhow back on topic, i don't really see how its a privacy issue, what privacy is put on the line to know if someone has plus! ? Sure i guess u could just anoyin them with sounds, but u can turn that off, and ofcourse this feature would b able to b turned off also.....

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by Phrive on 05-29-2004 at 08:43 AM

if think that is a great idea cos sumtimes i fdo the ping command and ppl get all confused if they dnt have plus and things like that so gr8 odea but its down to patchou to decide, of u cud make a plug-in?

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by stuartbennett on 11-10-2004 at 08:20 PM

ok patchou i got a compromisehere. currently if you use ping and they have plus the info screen forever more states that person has plus. right firstly a question, does it retain that info even you you uninstall plus say like my pc had a hard drive crash and i couldnt boot my system again or even format my pc cause the hard dtrives beyond repair unless plus stores this in the backups i have to reping all my contacts after a system recovery.

anyways back to my compromise. if a contact has plus and their info says they have plus great. now somewhere in plus that datas stored so what if you added a feature that if the /info screen says thery have plus as a result of a previous /ping then a plus icon is displayed by their name as shown in the screenshot at the top of this thread?

[Image: attachment.php?pid=249319]

that way its not a violation of there privacy as it uses the current ping to obtain the data in the first place all im asking is for a better way of displaying the data that ping requests gather. is there really any harm in that patchou?

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by madhattr999 on 11-10-2004 at 09:58 PM

i think he should just implement an icon like the webcam icon and have a plus option whether to let other ppl know that u have plus or not..

as long as there is an option that is off by default.. no privacy issues..  and then the idea is consistant..

don't know why patchou wouldnt implement this.. dont think it would be too hard.. tho i dont know the code so..

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by aNILEator on 11-10-2004 at 10:01 PM

As said before,

PRIVACY Laws apply

HENCE THIS WILL NOT BE ADDED. Who cares anyway ^o)

RE: See who has Plus! - The Easier Way by CookieRevised on 11-10-2004 at 10:34 PM

stuartbennett, madhattr999, try not to revive 6 month old threads, especially when the suggestion has been done several times before (and the last one was less then a month ago):
FrozernFire's reply to IDEA | Others Messenger plus! contacts

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
PRIVACY Laws apply
Not with adding an extra icon (near the webcam for example) which states the info already in the Contact Information Panel (and which has been found out by using the /ping command).

;)