Shoutbox

hmmm broadband question - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: hmmm broadband question (/showthread.php?tid=25992)

hmmm broadband question by Stigmata on 05-25-2004 at 10:19 AM

can you connect to broad band using 2 different modems, in 2 different sockets in the house :S:S:S:S:S:S

RE: hmmm broadband question by Sunshine on 05-25-2004 at 10:40 AM

Nope, u can't if there's only one incoming broadband connection (i assume u dont have two broadbandlines to ur house). To be able to connect to broadband with two computers u need to set up a network with a broadbandrouter (or a wireless network).

RE: hmmm broadband question by Stigmata on 05-25-2004 at 10:45 AM

:s i dont get you..

ok broad band works in every socket in our house.....

and i just need to know if you can connect if someone else is conected download stairs, using a different modem

RE: RE: hmmm broadband question by Sunshine on 05-25-2004 at 10:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jackass_wanabe
:s i dont get you..

ok broad band works in every socket in our house.....

and i just need to know if you can connect if someone else is conected download stairs, using a different modem

I'm afraid u can't connect at same time withouth a router (sockets don't do that, thats only usefull for u to be able to choose where u want ur computer).

RE: hmmm broadband question by reisyboy on 05-25-2004 at 11:04 AM

If you had two different user names and passwords you could then couldnt you :-/?

But Sunshine is right a router and split the same connection is much simpler:)

RE: hmmm broadband question by Stigmata on 05-25-2004 at 11:06 AM

:( that sucks :(

so now i need to buy a router?

cost estimate

RE: RE: hmmm broadband question by Sunshine on 05-25-2004 at 11:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jackass_wanabe
:( that sucks :(

so now i need to buy a router?

cost estimate

Yup, fraid so. I dunno what routers cost but make sure its for broadband..there are diff kinds of routers.
RE: hmmm broadband question by Stigmata on 05-25-2004 at 11:15 AM

hmmmmmmmmmm.......its cus im buying a laptop, and i just thought i could 'plug it in a play' ( thats a trade mark :P)

while my dad or something was on it in the study

RE: hmmm broadband question by dotNorma on 05-25-2004 at 12:26 PM

I have a router , try linksys , its done us well. We have a cable modem and the only possible way to split the connection is to use like a router or something. (y)

RE: hmmm broadband question by kao on 05-25-2004 at 12:46 PM

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Cat...ventional_115.html << theres some routers there, i dont suggest wireless, but thats just me, wireless is fine but the way i look at it personally, anything which slows the connection down, or adds lag, is bad :P

They're not too expensive, get a 2 or 4 way router/switch.

Both computers will need Ethernet cards aswell which are only about £7 each so cheap really, try and get 2 ethernet cards (which are the same) which are at least 100/10, and then you'll need an ethernet cable (rj-45 i think).

RE: hmmm broadband question by Wabz on 05-25-2004 at 01:48 PM

You need a router

Plug modem into Router and then set everything else up through the router. 

Routers are intelligent so you can configure them to work how you need it too

RE: hmmm broadband question by lhunath on 05-25-2004 at 02:37 PM

Or a pc with two network cards...

One where the modem comes in and one that goes to a hub, or a second pc. the Pc with two network cards then has to run several servers to provide your other pc(s) with internet access. Most often a complete Proxy package will do. I think Windows even has something natively included.. Connection sharing.. .. tho I don't trust that native Windows Crap *whistle*

RE: hmmm broadband question by fluffy_lobster on 05-25-2004 at 02:40 PM

If you're only adding one more computer to your network (total of 2) then you don't need a switch.  All you need to network 2 computers is an crossover cable and two network cards.  Then you just plug one pc to the other and boom.  You'll also need to enable internet connection sharing on the computer with the modem, and get the computers on the same workgroup, but hardware-wise that's it

RE: hmmm broadband question by sparkymcg on 05-25-2004 at 06:52 PM

"crossover cable and two network cards" this is what i have and it works fine but it is annoying that the computer that has the modem connected to it has to be on for the other computer to get access to the internet.  And my computer is the other computer :@ It gets used more than the other one

RE: hmmm broadband question by lhunath on 05-25-2004 at 07:16 PM

lol so switch them around =P

RE: hmmm broadband question by sparkymcg on 05-25-2004 at 07:21 PM

cant there is not a telephone plug thing next to it so i need to get it from the other computer but hopefully soon my dad can put one in my room

RE: hmmm broadband question by fluffy_lobster on 05-28-2004 at 02:17 PM

yeah, I forgot about that drawback of crossover cables... we had an ad-hoc wifi connection (the wireless equivalent of a crossover cable) and having the main computer on got so annoying.