Shoutbox

How do you stop things from automatcly apearing when turn on your PC - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: How do you stop things from automatcly apearing when turn on your PC (/showthread.php?tid=26006)

How do you stop things from automatcly apearing when turn on your PC by sparkymcg on 05-25-2004 at 02:07 PM

i was just wondering how do u stop sumthing from automatcilly opening up when you start your computer

RE: How do you stop things from automatcly apearing when turn on your PC by EGIS on 05-25-2004 at 02:11 PM

1. Start > Run
2. Type "msconfig" and hit Enter
3. Go to the tab named "Startup"

RE: How do you stop things from automatcly apearing when turn on your PC by Varish on 05-25-2004 at 02:11 PM

RUN 'msconfig' then Select the StartUp tab, you wil know the rest :D. Also, there are some programs to manage the startups, try Google. You can also check your StartUp folder which you can find from Start > Progys > StartUp. :)

Edit: EGIS was faster,

Here's a Good Progy to manage startups >> Startup Control Panel

RE: How do you stop things from automatcly apearing when turn on your PC by KeyStorm on 05-25-2004 at 02:12 PM

I use StartUp Guard that scans anything that is in your startup and detects when something is going to be added.

You have to pay attention while choosing what not to allow, some things might be needed for windos to start properly. Only block what you already know.

another standard way is to use msconfig (type it in the Run dialog) that shows you some things windows starts you can enable and disable. But there are some left, ntl.

RE: How do you stop things from automatcly apearing when turn on your PC by sparkymcg on 05-25-2004 at 02:20 PM

thanks that worked good (Y)

RE: How do you stop things from automatcly apearing when turn on your PC by matty on 05-25-2004 at 02:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
I use StartUp Guard that scans anything that is in your startup and detects when something is going to be added.

You have to pay attention while choosing what not to allow, some things might be needed for windos to start properly. Only block what you already know.

another standard way is to use msconfig (type it in the Run dialog) that shows you some things windows starts you can enable and disable. But there are some left, ntl.

Nothing on a computer needs to startup for Windows to work 8-)
RE: How do you stop things from automatcly apearing when turn on your PC by KeyStorm on 05-25-2004 at 04:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
Nothing on a computer needs to startup for Windows to work
Well, maybe you are expecting MsgPlus! to load at the startup. If you disable every entry you don't get it to work properly (as you expected), hence some things are not expected.

(well explorer.exe is called at the startup anyway :grin: j/k)
RE: How do you stop things from automatcly apearing when turn on your PC by lhunath on 05-25-2004 at 04:36 PM

quote:
(well explorer.exe is called at the startup anyway  j/k)

Urgh explorer =P

Btw, I don't like the msconfig method. That's a diagnostic program; it's supposed to allow you to quickly turn off an on startup items, to get rid of them you should go into the registry (HKLM/HKCU => Software => Microsoft => Windows => CurrentVersion => Run/RunOnce/RunServices/RunServicesOnce) and delete them there.
MsConfig is a temporary solution and after you reboot your PC it'll notify u that you're working in Diganostics Mode..... erm yeah well, whatever suits you best I suppose, not very professional anyway xD

Edit: merde, damn typos
RE: How do you stop things from automatcly apearing when turn on your PC by KeyStorm on 05-25-2004 at 04:42 PM

Well, it comments the entries so if you mess uf the startup config you can get them back. And you can disable the message that alerts you are in diag-mode: It doesn't make any difference.
But it's right, not everything is listed there, ntl.

RE: How do you stop things from automatcly apearing when turn on your PC by WDZ on 05-25-2004 at 05:04 PM

quote:
Well, it comments the entries so if you mess uf the startup config you can get them back.
The Startup CPL program that Chloe linked to will also save the entries you deleted in something like a recycle bin. If you want to restore something, just go to the Deleted tab, right click the entry, and send it back to where it came from. :p
RE: How do you stop things from automatcly apearing when turn on your PC by KeyStorm on 05-25-2004 at 05:22 PM

Oh he edited the post later than my first post was sent (I didn't read t afain) :refuck:

Does it detect new entries on the fly?

RE: How do you stop things from automatcly apearing when turn on your PC by Varish on 05-28-2004 at 06:14 AM

Yeah, i hope so.

RE: How do you stop things from automatcly apearing when turn on your PC by CookieRevised on 05-28-2004 at 09:40 AM

May I note that even "Startup CPL" doesn't list all the things that are started during startup? There are many more registry keys that can hold things :D

To get absolutely everything, use AutoRuns, an excellent freeware tool (no installation required btw, just 1 programfile).

[Image: bb963902.Autoruns(en-us,MSDN.10).jpg]

This program will show you EVERY possible startupline that windows can use... I found MANY dodgy programs with that on various computers where the user though he deleted everything and still some programs started up when they booted... So, just check it out...

RE: How do you stop things from automatcly apearing when turn on your PC by KeyStorm on 05-28-2004 at 09:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
To get absolutely everything, use AutoRuns, an excellent freeware tool (no installation required btw, just 1 programfile).
Yummy, looks awesome... I'll get it when I'm home :o
RE: How do you stop things from automatcly apearing when turn on your PC by Mike on 05-28-2004 at 05:58 PM

I heard of a program called "Advanced Unistaller Pro" .
It has a start up manager.
It has even information for a start up program!
Picture: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=252581

But its shareware... :(

You can find it at :google:

Edit: Arghh...MsgPlus! toast went into the pic... 8-)

Btw if you are gonna download, look what it says for messenger plus! :blah:

Edit: WDZ has been editing my post... :(It seems that he doesnt like big pictures...Couldn't you just resize a bit the pic? :P