Shoutbox

Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. (/showthread.php?tid=26052)

Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 05-25-2004 at 09:54 PM

Alright, I'm stubburn. I was looking forward to animating DPs, so animating DPs is what I wanna have. So I started thinking. MSN Messenger doesn't allow for them in any way maginable. So, as it doesn't allow for, for example, packet sniffing á la Notifier etc, I wanna make it possible using a seperate executable, with a custom protocol sending animating DPs.

I'm sure I'm going to get flamed now by some =P By the way, my ambitions always far exceed my talents.. Sucks being a perfectionist..

Anyway, anybody who's interrested in giving me a hand in this ?

~lhun

Changelog and development status :

Project laDp : Lhunath's Animating Display Picture

DONE :
- Decided how the animated image will be sent and received.
- Build a program that can read the contents of chunks in PNGs
- Build a program that adds a chunk to a PNG containing our animated gif
UP NEXT :
- Investigating how the PNG can be sent to the other client without loosing the "laDp" chunk.
        Options:
          - Making the local client skip the IMG => RAW => PNG step, and adding the special PNGs manually
             => PROs: Neat and structural. Using the protocol itself. Few security flaws possible.
             => CONs: Unable to implement as of yet. Large DPs. Need protection against Buffer Overflows?
          - Using the top row of pixels to include the WAN IP of the local user, then set up a P2P to retrieve the animation data.
             => PROs: Open for later expansion of functionality. Implementable.
             => CONs: Connection issues (firewalls/...). Security/Privacy issues (IP). Open for remote control vulnerabilities. Image Corruption.

TODO:
Find a way to dock the picture in the Display Picture area
Find a way to set and get the display picture

Project Status: On Hold
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Maniac on 05-25-2004 at 10:35 PM

Wait are you saying you're gonna keep sending different pics to make it look animated? Because if thats what you're planning then people with slow connections might not be able to use it

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 05-25-2004 at 10:44 PM

No, he's planning to make his own P2P connection to the other contact so he can send animated-gifs. (both contacts will need this addon)

But how he is going to do that without knowing the other's IP, I dunno. ;)

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 05-26-2004 at 04:06 PM

humsers, how about I send a packet with a IP request which only the plugin understands. Would solve it. Or not an IP request, but simply one with the IP, and a connect request.

Though to inject it in the MSN packets, that's not going to be easy hmm.. maybe I might find some way, lemme have a browse through the net

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 05-26-2004 at 07:16 PM

*mumbles under breath*
Oh joy, what do you think of this, the plugin sets the DP to a special png which is recougnised by the client on the other side. That client then sends the IP to the first one, who hides it from the user. (Once in a convo or on DP change, maybe as long as a conv's open send a sync sign every minute or so.) That way both IPs are known and a P2P connection can be established.

From that point on it's bare easy.

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Nick2588 on 05-27-2004 at 06:14 AM

PNGs can be animated. I doubt Messenger will show them properly, but the PNG format allows for animated images.

If the PNG can contain comments, why not put an animated GIF as the comments? People without the plugin will see the normal display picture but those with the plugin can see the "secret" animated GIF.

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by user27089 on 05-27-2004 at 07:25 AM

I thought there was already a plugin for this, but both of the users have to have it....

if i am wrong i'm sorry, but search the forum, there are many threads bout animated display pictures

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 05-27-2004 at 09:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nick2588
PNGs can be animated. I doubt Messenger will show them properly, but the PNG format allows for animated images.
No, PNG's can NOT be animated. You're talking about the other format called MNG (which MSN Messenger doesn't use), which is based upon the same imageformat, but is an entirly different fileformat.

quote:
Originally posted by Nick2588
If the PNG can contain comments, why not put an animated GIF as the comments? People without the plugin will see the normal display picture but those with the plugin can see the "secret" animated GIF.
Possible, although not so easy to implement (extracting, showing, hooking, whatever, ...)
Putting another file in the comment tag of a image is easy on itself though, that's not the problem...

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I thought there was already a plugin for this, but both of the users have to have it....
No, there isn't any plugin to do that, (although there exists a Korean addon van MSN Messenger called PowerPlus, but that's something different, although related)

And both users will always have to install such plugins/addons. Either for putting up the image, either for showing the image...
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 05-27-2004 at 09:55 AM

Right, so what I do is find a way to insert a gif in the comment of a PNG, that PNG will be displayed for those who do not have the plugin, for those that do, the plugin will extract the gif and show it instead.

The docking or replacing of the image itself isn't going to be easy so I might just start builing a little viewer that shows the included gif.. We'll see from there.

Edit:
Right, so I found an easy way to encode a gif in a png.
With imagemagick :
mogrify -comment "@[uri-to-gif]" [uri-to-png]
Then; the produced png is to be set as DP
Afterwards, the other side receives the png, and does this :
identify -format "%c" [uri-to-png] > [uri-to-gif]

Well; something like that anyway.

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by PaPalemon on 05-27-2004 at 11:46 AM

Y not make the display pic Display as GIF? so the file will be sent once then it will be animated?

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 05-27-2004 at 11:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lhunath
Right, so I found an easy way to encode a gif in a png.
With imagemagick :
mogrify -comment "@[uri-to-gif]" [uri-to-png]
Then; the produced png is to be set as DP
Afterwards, the other side receives the png, and does this :
identify -format "%c" [uri-to-png] > [uri-to-gif]

Well; something like that anyway.
NO!!! You must not do that!!!

If your serious about all this, I suggest you to read, learn and fully understand the PNG format (although you don't need to know the compression methods for the actual image, you can skip that)

(PNG's consist of "chuncks")
We said that you could add another file to the comment field of a PNG, well it's not THAT easy. First of all a comment field is part of a "iTXt", "tEXt", or "zTXt" chunck (mind the casing!!!). And this can only contain text for the soul purpose of compatibility. So, if you want to incorporate an animated GIF to a PNG, you must create your own type of chunck.

This new chunck must meet certain criteria. For this purpose (adding another image for your plugin to use) it must be:
- private (not public)
- ancillary (not critical)
- safe-to-copy (not unsafe)

Now, the name of a chunck must be 4 bytes long (4 characters), nothing less, nothing more and the casing does matter!!!
To reflect the above chunck criteria, your name must be lowercased-lowercased-uppercased-lowercased.
Also, the name must be one that is not in use already. So if you choose "AMSN" (for nimated-msn-picture or something) it must be "amSn".

Also, the chunck data itself can not exceed 2^31-1 bytes (I thought, I need to look this up again myself). If you need more (not likely as this is 4GB!), you can create two chuncks (with same name, but then you must make your decoder also aware of this of course)

And while you implement all this in your "PNG"-to-"PNG incl. ani-GIF" converter, I suggest you to fill in the comment, software, warning, disclaimer, source, Author fields of a PNG also. (all this for compatibility and information sake)...

Also, note that there are different version of PNG's (1.0, 1.1, 1.2). Your program needs to be able to handle them all!

So you see, implementing another image into PNG is easy if you know how, but you must know the PNG-format by hart. And you must be good at reading/writing fileformats and understand the conventions...

More info can be found on (this must be learned and studied before attempting something):
http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/
http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/spec/

quote:
Originally posted by PaPalemon
Y not make the display pic Display as GIF? so the file will be sent once then it will be animated?
Because for that you need to change the way MSN Messenger actually works. And those changes will be very very huge! It's not doable...
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 05-27-2004 at 11:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
WTF @ CookieRevised,
Compressed text works fine for this purpose!

As for compatibility, comment, copyright, etc are NOT needed for compatibility!

Don't make it more difficult that it is!
Incorporating a GIF in a PNG is easy as hell,
getting MSN to recognize it is the difficult part!
I don't make it more difficult then it is... It sounds more difficult then it is...

Adding the GIF to a comment field of a text chunck is as easy/difficult as adding that gif to a new chunck, there is no difference in adding and the way you program it...

And text-chuncks may not contain other things then text, sure they can contain all kinds of garbage, but this will break the format. Why not do a bit more effort and make it compatible with every possible PNG-editor???? And the compatibility, comment, copyright, etc are indeed not needed for compatibility, I suggested that because your already doing stuff anyway to the format so you can make it even more user-friendly... And filling those fields with info is even more easier...

And don't say/reply with "It works, so it is ok"... That's a lame and stupid thing to say. You should make it the right way, not some half-arsed-it-works-anyway-way...

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 05-27-2004 at 02:14 PM

Right, I've been on the PNG and libpng sites and have been reading a bit about them; I learned about the chunks stuff etc. After writing a little test program, I noticed that the comment chunk can only contain 2kb of data.

I encoded the gif as base64, put it in the comment chunk and tried to decode it only to notice that part of it was missing. So, CookieRevised do you know why there is a 2kb limit on that chunk ? Has it been preset like this or is it most likely because of the way ImageMagick works ?

quote:
If your serious about all this, I suggest you to read, learn and fully understand the PNG format
Honestly, I first want to see if it's possible at all before progressing to making it nice and the right way. Because if not I'm going to wind up giving up in the complications of it all without seeing a clear goal.

quote:
And while you implement all this in your "PNG"-to-"PNG incl. ani-GIF" converter, I suggest you to fill in the comment, software, warning, disclaimer, source, Author fields of a PNG also. (all this for compatibility and information sake)...
That off course, is something we cannot forget ;) My name and footprint in there =P
It would, by the way, even be nice to use that to add (like on these forums) a small text under the DP, or whatever, nice for extra features.

Now, I know you're right about the fact that what I first suggested was bare ugly, I want to code it all natively because of the simple fact that I feel dizzy using other people's code. It gives me a feeling of lacking control. But I do want to get it all possible in an ugly way first, later there is always time for improvement. Feel free to argue if you think I'm wrong about this.

Any suggestions as to how to continue ? Add a custom chunk to the PNG or think of a way to inject it in other chunks / bypass the size limit ?
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 05-27-2004 at 02:46 PM

quote:
Right, I've been on the PNG and libpng sites and have been reading a bit about them; I learned about the chunks stuff etc. After writing a little test program, I noticed that the comment chunk can only contain 2kb of data.

I encoded the gif as base64, put it in the comment chunk and tried to decode it only to notice that part of it was missing. So, CookieRevised do you know why there is a 2kb limit on that chunk ? Has it been preset like this or is it most likely because of the way ImageMagick works ?
There is no limit that I know of (well at least not 2Kb), but then again, it has been a long while since I did something with PNG's and JPEG's. But I'm almost certain that it is ImageMagick.

quote:
quote:
If your serious about all this, I suggest you to read, learn and fully understand the PNG format
Honestly, I first want to see if it's possible at all before progressing to making it nice and the right way. Because if not I'm going to wind up giving up in the complications of it all without seeing a clear goal.
And right you are ;) Well, you know it is possible the put a gif into a png, (one way or the other :rolleyes:), so now you need to find out if you can display something on the original DP (hooking?) or use a seperate window or something... Also, you need to find a way to prevent MSN Messenger to reset/resize the image to a "normal" PNG, like the wtbwplugin....

quote:
quote:
That off course, is something we cannot forget ;) My name and footprint in there =P
It would, by the way, even be nice to use that to add (like on these forums) a small text under the DP, or whatever, nice for extra features.
To add text etc... to the image you can use the same chunck you've created (or create another chunck for that matter). That way, the comment stays the comment, and doesn't become part of the animated gif.

quote:
Now, I know you're right about the fact that what I first suggested was bare ugly, I want to code it all natively because of the simple fact that I feel dizzy using other people's code. It gives me a feeling of lacking control. But I do want to get it all possible in an ugly way first, later there is always time for improvement. Feel free to argue if you think I'm wrong about this.
Nope, no arguments from me there ;)

quote:
Now, lets face the facts :P
Who's the uber-programmer in here (apart from Patchou) (a)
It's not because you made some good plugins, that I don't know my stuff either...
;)
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by reisyboy on 05-27-2004 at 03:27 PM

Ill just add a small comment it may or may not be useful.

Try looking how the animated emotions work, they are a string of PNG's that then are strung together to animate. This maybe (and i suspect) todo with MSN Messenger and then you may either be able to use this function todo it for u, or you cant and will have to devise you own way. Another thing it maybe as comments as you say in the strings of PNG's to animate and therefore you maybe able to copy it in some way.

Im not sure if what i have said is right but i do know the emotions are strings of still png's so its deffinatly possible :)

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 05-27-2004 at 03:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
so now you need to find out if you can display something on the original DP (hooking?) or use a seperate window or something... Also, you need to find a way to prevent MSN Messenger to reset/resize the image to a "normal" PNG, like the wtbwplugin....
I'll most likely do that by setting the original picture as one of the same size. The original PNG should be the first frame of the GIF, with the GIF's size, and with the functionality of wtbwplug, it would be able to resize the DP area big enough, to then overlay it with the animated gif.
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Guido on 05-27-2004 at 05:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by reisyboy
Ill just add a small comment it may or may not be useful.

Try looking how the animated emotions work, they are a string of PNG's that then are strung together to animate. This maybe (and i suspect) todo with MSN Messenger and then you may either be able to use this function todo it for u, or you cant and will have to devise you own way. Another thing it maybe as comments as you say in the strings of PNG's to animate and therefore you maybe able to copy it in some way.

Im not sure if what i have said is right but i do know the emotions are strings of still png's so its deffinatly possible :)
Yes, I think using that kind of "animated" PNGs combined with an any-size-dps plugin like the wtbw one would help.

Of course, you now how to make that work :refuck:

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by crank on 05-27-2004 at 06:37 PM

quote:

That would need some work...
The Animated Emoticons are png strings but they don't work like that.
It's a predefined thing in MSN Messenger that recognices those png's (only the predifined png's) and kinda 'plays' them like a simple movie.
Atleast that's what I would say tough my experience is just wat I learned from skinning. Like the MSN Butterfly or the spinning MSN guys when logging, Those to work that way 2.

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 05-27-2004 at 06:54 PM

indeed, the original png would simply show up like a strip of images to people without the plugin. The best part about integrating a image inside a png is that people without the plugin, wouldn't notice a thing and can see the static pngas normal...

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 05-27-2004 at 09:10 PM

quote:
Now, the name of a chunck must be 4 bytes long (4 characters), nothing less, nothing more and the casing does matter!!!
To reflect the above chunck criteria, your name must be lowercased-lowercased-uppercased-lowercased.
code:
    chunk_list - list of chunks affected (a byte string,
                 five bytes per chunk, NULL or '\0' if
                 num_chunks is 0)
I'm supposing you were wrong about the four chars length of a chunk size ?
* lhunath looks around a bit more

Edit:
In the W3C Specs I found this :
code:
4.7.2 Chunk types

There are 18 chunk types defined in this International Standard. Chunk types are four-byte sequences chosen so that they correspond to readable labels when interpreted in the ISO 646.IRV:1991 character set.
Now, can anybody explain to me what the fifth byte in the chunk_list is supposed to mean.. ?
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 05-27-2004 at 09:23 PM

quote:
Chunks are 4 bytes in length
Dont believe me and cookie? get a hex-editor!
It's not that I don't believe you, it's that I see contradicting things, which I want explained. The part I quoted you came from the libpng 1.2.5 manual. I'm assuming that's not wrong.

For your personal reference, http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/libpng-1.2.5-manual.html
Head: Unknown-chunk handling.
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 05-28-2004 at 01:47 PM

Thanks alot B, I've just figured it all out how it works, and I think I can really use it very well.
All I should do is change dwKeepTypes to the name of my chunk, that way I can strip everything except my chunk out. To then transform it into an algorythm that will write the chunk, shouldn't be too hard anymore.

I owe you one ;)

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 05-28-2004 at 02:11 PM

quote:
Does that make sense?
It does indeed, but that is exactly what you are doing, only, you're not checking to see if it is 'your chunk', you're checking to see if it's any of the mandatory chunks. I've been messing a bit and I've isolated the tEXt chunk together with the header and the 'dwLen' bytes. Up next is isolating only the content of the tEXt chunk and if I can do that I can do it with any chunk. After that I'll have a look at writing chunks.
It's all beginning to make perfect sense now, not all that hard =)

I'm going to have another read about the PNG format, though. For one, I'm interrested in what the capitalisation of the chunk types really means, where abouts you can add chunks and how unknown chunks are handled (will be handled by msn.. hmm.. hope they're not discarted.)
Might try adding a custom chunk, setting it as a DP and having a look at what the other side receives.

Thanks for the assistance TheBlasphemer and CookieRevised.

Edit:
I'd prefer to keep it the way you're handling it, since it allows for easily adding other custom chunks, in case I decide I want to pass some diffrent data in the DP as well; other than my GIF.
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by RebelSean on 05-28-2004 at 02:27 PM

Hey lhunath,
                   you got any progress on this plugin/program thing yet?? or you still gathering information?

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 05-28-2004 at 03:09 PM

Oh right, I should update that

I've figured out how to do the animated display picture sending, I'm building a way to send it through right now, after that, there'll still be alot of work on making it show up properly.. So I'm afraid it won't be released for testing any time soon =P But we'll see how the progress goes, won't we.

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Millenium_edition on 05-28-2004 at 04:04 PM

i might be completely wrong here, but lemme try to explain

compare PNG's to EXE files. EXE files have a beginning, and an end. So adding data behind the end of the EXE file doesn't affect the file. I tried this with PNG, and it worked (i think).
So your file should look like:
<beginPNG><PNGdata><endPNG><yourdata...>
Ever tried this? because adding comments and working with chunks looks aweful to me =/

<offtopic>nice little dirty smilies you got there</offtopic>

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 05-28-2004 at 04:45 PM

What is wrong in doing it the correct way? (second time I'm asking this :P)... It looks complicated, but it realy isn't. It is as hard as your method, Millenium_edition:

To extract the data from the end of the PNG, you must know where the end is. So you need to read some data out of the PNG first to know where the end is, then extract the added stuff at the end...

In the the correct way of doing this, you need also to read some data from the PNG, but instead of skipping everything right to the end, you only skip the normal chuncks of the png, then extract your chunck in the same way as if you extracted something at the end of a file.

Creating the "special" PNG works also the same: instead of writing at the end of the file, you read some data out of the PNG, copy all the normal chuncks, and then if that is done, write your own chunks, and end the PNG...

The benefit is that it is a valid PNG. And even a bigger benefit of this all is that you can edit and change the PNG in a normal graphic editor (which must be PNG compatible of course) without loosing your "special" added chunck. (that's why I suggested a "private/ancillary/safe-to-copy" chunck)...

It indeed seems harder todo then it realy is, but that is with everything where the explaination is much more extensive then actually doing it...

EDIT: Oh btw, Millenium_edition, Welcome again at msgplus ;) ;) :p nice to see you here again :D

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Millenium_edition on 05-28-2004 at 05:01 PM

well i was a bit late because now you've come up with the chunks. and now you studied it.
but as far as i've read, can't you add a animdpsize="123456" to the <msnobj> tag, so you got the length, all you have to do is get the rest of the file, instead of decoding all those damn chunks... ^o)

oh and i was just passing by... thanks anyway :p

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 05-28-2004 at 05:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
well i was a bit late because now you've come up with the chunks. and now you studied it.
but as far as i've read, can't you add a animdpsize="123456" to the <msnobj> tag, so you got the length, all you have to do is get the rest of the file, instead of decoding all those damn chunks... ^o)
That would involve interacting with the protocol. But what will that do for people without the "plugin"? It could work though. But it would be nice, IMO, if you don't need to interact with the protocol at all (which isn't so easy with plugins anyway I assume). Call me a standard and compatibily(damn word)-freak ;)

BTW, you don't need to decode those other chuncks. That's the beauty of it, just read the type of chunck, if it isn't yours, skip it. And for writing, if it isn't yours, just copy it. No decoding involved...

EDIT: Oh, lhunath. I've got another small tip for you ;)
Instead of storing the GIF in the chunck like it is. add 1 byte in front of it to identify the method you used to store the GIF. Thus it will act like kind of a version number.

I mean instead of this:
   ----start of chunck data----
   [Animated GIF (x bytes long)]
   ----end of chunck data----
Do this:
   ----start of chunck data----
   [Identifier byte (1 byte long)]
   [Animated GIF (x bytes long)]
   ----end of chunck data----

In that way, you can identify your method you used to store the GIF. This is very handy, because if you ever update the method of storing (say, you found a way to store it in a more compact way), you only have to make a new identifier (and thus acting like a version number) for your new method. In that way, the old method can still be read by your plugin because it can identify the method used for storing the GIF. If you don't use such a identifier, your plugin wont be compatible with older versions as it has no way of identifying and thus knowing what to do with the data... And that goes for the otherway around also: If someone is still using your "old" plugin, he can be notified that the PNG/GIF is written in a newer version and thus can't be read, because the "old" plugin doesn't reconize the "new" identifier and thus doesn't know the new method of extracting the GIF....

If you know what I mean ;) (again, a big explaination for something extremely simple and it will be benefitial for the futur)
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 05-28-2004 at 06:11 PM

quote:
Instead of storing the GIF in the chunck like it is. add 1 byte in front of it to identify the method you used to store the GIF. Thus it will act like kind of a version number.
That's actually a very good idea.

The current development status is this : I've made a program that extracts any data from any chunk. At the moment I'm making one that writes a custom chunk right after the IDAT chunk.

I've been thinking with TheBlasphemer about how we'll send the png to the other contact, since he told me that MSN Messenger decodes the PNG into RAW image data, then re-encodes that data into PNG format, that way, my custom chunk will be removed..
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 05-28-2004 at 06:17 PM

quote:
I've been thinking with TheBlasphemer about how we'll send the png to the other contact, since he told me that MSN Messenger decodes the PNG into RAW image data, then re-encodes that data into PNG format, that way, my custom chunk will be removed..
Oh... damn... that's crap news... /me kicks MSN.... then maybe you should do something with the protocol like Millenium_edition pruposed after all.... oh well... it was to good to be true :(
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Varish on 05-28-2004 at 06:58 PM

Dont give up hope yet, anyways, how does the Power Plus's animated DP's work? Thats proof that its not-so-difficult. :D

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by dotNorma on 05-28-2004 at 07:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chloe
Dont give up hope yet, anyways, how does the Power Plus's animated DP's work?

PowerPlus uses its very own Display Picture Server if I am correct.
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 05-28-2004 at 07:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chloe
How does the Power Plus's animated DP's work
P2P, which is another method but alot more complex, it wouldn't be a nice solution. And neither is Powerplus'.

They give you a second DP; so you have your MSN DP and your animating powerplus DP, rather annoying if you ask me..
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Millenium_edition on 05-28-2004 at 07:05 PM

i guess you'll have to try it my way - unless you got a super server?

RE: RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 05-28-2004 at 07:08 PM

quote:
i guess you'll have to try it my way - unless you got a super server?

Mind explaining a bit better what you mean with "your way" ?

To TheBlasphemer : The PNG specs say that the Length DWORD in the cunk are to be encoded as an int, but I'm supposing that, if my gif is 500 bytes long, I don't write 0500 as the length dword ? =| what then ?
code:
            char *cLen;
            itoa((int)dwLen, cLen, 10);
            WriteFile(hFileOut,cLen,4,&dwWritten,0);
or just
code:
WriteFile(hFileOut,(BYTE *)dwLen,4,&dwWritten,0);

Edit:
Could somebody do a diff between these two files ?
lhunath.gif is the original gif
lhunath2.gif is the gif retrieved from the PNG

lhunath.gif seems to animate in ACDSee, lhunath2.gif seems to display the first frame and then hang the program.. =/

* lhunath did a diff, noticed they were the same, but still the second won't show, wth is going on =P
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 05-29-2004 at 08:35 AM

quote:
Could somebody do a diff between these two files ?
lhunath.gif is the original gif
lhunath2.gif is the gif retrieved from the PNG

lhunath.gif seems to animate in ACDSee, lhunath2.gif seems to display the first frame and then hang the program.. =/

* lhunath did a diff, noticed they were the same, but still the second won't show, wth is going on =P
confirmed, both files are exactly the same. And the gif seems to be a valid animated gif...

You can check this yourself by using the DOS command FC:
FC /B lhunath.gif lhunath2.gif
(/B means binary compare, for more options type FC /?)

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Millenium_edition on 05-29-2004 at 08:38 AM

my way was adding data behind the end of the png... read above

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 05-29-2004 at 09:15 AM

quote:
confirmed, both files are exactly the same. And the gif seems to be a valid animated gif...
are they both valid gifs ? do they both work with you ?
lhunath.gif works, but lhunath2.gif doesn't :|
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by rompom7 on 05-29-2004 at 01:24 PM

They both work for me.

/methinks winrar compression has done something :D

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 05-29-2004 at 01:44 PM

if I reported that both files are the same I had to download the RAR first to extract them, and if the files are the same, then nothing is wrong with the RAR either ;)

btw, yep, both animations work for me....

RE: RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 05-29-2004 at 02:30 PM

quote:
if I reported that both files are the same I had to download the RAR first to extract them, and if the files are the same, then nothing is wrong with the RAR either ;)

btw, yep, both animations work for me....

lol.. odd.. anyway, I managed to put a GIF in there and extract it again, I'm just having some huge problems in calculating the CRC to make the PNG valid.

Edit:
So I've finally done it, embedded a GIF in a PNG successfully; It's in there and it's safe and propper. I also have a way of extracting it again and writing it out as a gif file. The PNG stays completely valid. I'll update the development info in the first post now.
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by rompom7 on 05-30-2004 at 02:10 AM

What I am saying, is that winrar might take out comments of PNG files to reduce filesize. This is why they are both the same image... I think.

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 05-30-2004 at 08:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rompom7
What I am saying, is that winrar might take out comments of PNG files to reduce filesize. This is why they are both the same image... I think.
WinRAR performs a lossless compression. The original files and the files after you uncompress them are exactly the same. Which is why ZIP and RAR etc, are such a good compression method, especially for things like these or binairies. Imagine it started tossing away data in there as well like JPEG and GIF and other image compression formats do, you wouldn't be able to start the program anymore after uncompression and it would crash your system....
By the way, they are both the exact same image, the diff didn't show any diffrences at all, but on my image viewer it didn't show correctly; but I solved that problem; it was something to do with another corrupted image in the same folder which made my viewer crash, not lhunath2.png.. so never mind that..

quote:
Originally posted by wtbw
We already know how to make DP's display at whatever size we want; there's already the code to do the splitting, already code to display a DP (ofc), and already the timing code inside msn. So it's just a matter of putting it all together.
Nice, if you can get me that code, I would not mind at all at giving it a go. I was just about to put this thing on hold for now until I thought of a way to send my PNG through. I've got some ideas on which I'm working, but if you can get me the code you speak of, then I'm sure I can do it alot faster.

Lhun (uber-prutser ;))
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 05-30-2004 at 11:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wtbw
And, lhunath the code is inside MSN.
Does the MSN Messenger API allow for setting the DP as something custom ? Or how do you plan to use that code to set the DP to a custom image ? By my knowledge it's not really possible to just call the seperate algorythms inside MSN Messenger for own personal use.. I suppose it could be done with some ASMing but that's a bit beyond my league.

quote:
Now think a bit, what if someone had like 10 frames, which would be a picture of 960*96 on non-patched MSN's.
Users without the patch aren't supposed to see the other frames.. It should be done by adding the information in a seperate chunk to hide it properly, and the actual IDAT (The image shown to users without the plugin) should contain the first frame.
That way, users without the plugin will see the first frame and not notice any problems +
the plugin will use that frame to shape the size of the DP area, so that the only thing that need be done is overlay the DP area with the animating image data.

So, all we need to do is find a way to send my PNG through.
Let's line up the posibilities :

- Make a patch for msnmsgr.exe that makes it copy the PNG to the .bin files in it's display directory, instead of building a new PNG from the actual RAW image data in our original PNG.
- Find a way to add DP's to MSN Messenger ourselves, thus we would not need the MSN Messenger DP adder, and we can make sure the DP's have our animating chunk.
- Inject the PNG in the data stream, for example, using a Proxy to find and replace whenever MSN Messenger sends our DP data, then replace it with our PNG containing the animating chunk.
- Setting up a P2P system, like PowerPlus, to send the image through, the only problem would be, fetching the contact's IP. That should not be a problem though, I'm sure there's plenty of ways, as in, adding a char to the end of the nickname, then, your plugin sends users with that char an IP request, which the other user's plugin hides and replies to.
- Still pondering about other ways, let me know what you think of each of these and if you know any alternatives.
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by illuzn on 06-01-2004 at 12:18 PM

This might sound a bit stupid... but how large will encapsulating the gif inside a png be? There might be issues for people on dialup downloading massive display pictures... like I said might sound silly sorry...

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 06-01-2004 at 04:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by illuzn
This might sound a bit stupid... but how large will encapsulating the gif inside a png be? There might be issues for people on dialup downloading massive display pictures... like I said might sound silly sorry...
if it isn't compressed it will be the same size as it normaly would be...
But anyways, the thing you mentioned is exactly one of the reasons why MS fixed the size to 96x96 and only used PNG (which has a compression method build-in) and static, non-animated pictures....
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 06-01-2004 at 04:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by illuzn
The size will be the same as the GIF's size plus, the first frame dublicate (as the PNG static image) and some extra bytes providing the PNG structure.
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 06-01-2004 at 04:51 PM

About that first frame.... I wouldn't duplicate it in the PNG. I would keep the PNG image as something seperate. In that way, a user can decide to put a (slithly or complete) different pic in the PNG for "normal" users. Otherwise you bound to some restrictions in making your animated GIF. Furthermore, PNG supports far more colors then GIF and it support alpha transparency (gif not). So you'll loose all that if you duplicate the first frame instead of keeping the two things seperate... ;)

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 06-01-2004 at 06:15 PM

quote:
About that first frame.... I wouldn't duplicate it in the PNG. I would keep the PNG image as something seperate. In that way, a user can decide to put a (slithly or complete) different pic in the PNG for "normal" users.
That's indeed true, it would allow for more customisation.
quote:
Otherwise you bound to some restrictions in making your animated GIF. Furthermore, PNG supports far more colors then GIF and it support alpha transparency (gif not). So you'll loose all that if you duplicate the first frame instead of keeping the two things seperate... ;)
These, are features PNG does support but MSN Messenger's decoder does not, therefor it's rather pointless in using them; unless we can find a way of completely eliminating the MSN Display Picture viewer and replace it with a home cooked one.

But, that's all things we needn't really worry about until we found a way of transfering the PNG, I'm sure there's more programmers out here who can comment any of my above stated posibilities, as in, indicate which are out of option and which they may know a method of applying.
It seems that we're rather stuck for the moment being, though.. ASM Hack as in the way TheBlasphemer did with his StuffPlug, sounds like the best method, but ASM Debugging / Hacking is way beyond my field of speciality.
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by whowho on 06-04-2004 at 03:02 PM

lol in the mean while can you make a plugin with 100 > animated pictures  in it ,and a option to ad your own animated things ?  same like auditor but then for pictures :P
just a suggestion
yeah i am a noob :P

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by reisyboy on 06-04-2004 at 04:33 PM

Not really a good idea, because you will need another way to send a message to tell the user what D/P you are using.

Its better to wait and do it properly :)

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Hah on 06-04-2004 at 05:25 PM

Well, i think this is an excellent idea, but I can see this taking a considerable amount of time without a programmer with advanced asm knowledge, or somebody with an easy, but effective method.

Perhaps in the mean time a plug in isnt out of the question. It can render the display picture easy enough over the current display picture (hell, you could do it as simple as hard coding into the plugin some coordinates where the current display picture is.). Although primitive this method could be a quick release so people get used to the idea and the idea gets spread and support for a proper version may grow:

1. When in conversation user enters plugin command.
  2. Plugin requests file details i.e. the picture to send to this contact.
  3. User selects file.
  4. Plugin temperory renames (or copies) the image to the CRC of the image, or a further unique detail. It then drops the file, along with a recievenotify and the crc to tell the remote plugin the image is on the way.
  5. The remote plugin detects a new file in Recieved Files and checks against our crc, if correct, it renders the image, and sends a confirmation to remote plugin (recieve notify) that transfer was successful.
  6. .....etc
    [/list]

You can see that this method will work and is very simple. It will also allow for the user to have a seperate image for every1! and if they dont have the plugin or plus...who cares, they still only get sent the file and a few funky characters!

But like i say, ofcource, this could only be a quick fix up just for the time been.

Tah,

Hah

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by whowho on 06-07-2004 at 05:06 PM

YEAH ! Thats what i think :) would be nice if someone could make it :)

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by whowho on 06-12-2004 at 07:08 PM

who is gonna make it :)

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by saralk on 06-12-2004 at 09:26 PM

ok, i got bored (and confused) with reading all this on page 5.

So ill just throw in this - i saw somewhere that someone said they could change the headers that are sent with msn messenger. And that anything extra is ignored by the client.

Well you could add a bit to the end of the header that will just say

adp: [location]

and leave it up to the user to upload the animated dp to a server.

Then in the same way the korean one does it, display the animated DP.

This way people without the plugin can still use it, and there is none of this msn messenger changing to RAW mumbo-jumbo.

Or you could proxy msn and change the display pic that is sent out, so its sent with the comments.

Sorry if what im saying is complete nonsense to you coding experts.

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by (CyBeRDuDe) on 06-13-2004 at 12:20 AM

Saralk:
We don't want it to be an externel program that shows the DP in an external window... if U want it like that, then it is very easy to make, very very easy to make... but doesn't give make any sense... that's not the point of it... that is just to make a connection between the 2 computers and then send the animated gif, and then in the other end show the animated gif in a window.. that is just so... crappy...
I think that they have already found a way to compile the animated GIF into the PNG's so that U can use them as ordinary PNG images which Messenger use.. the next thing is to find a way to take the recieved "Animated PNG" out and then make a fake window that puts on top of the DP area or a method to control the Object where the  DP's are shown(but this is very complicated or maybe impossible...)...
The best solution would be if we could this working as plugin, if that is not possible then I guess it would have to be a standalone program, or maybe even a patch(but we would rather not do that...)...
I'm currently experimenting a bit with this, the part on how to show the Animated DP.. but I can't seem to find a solution...

Enough Information???

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Concord Dawn on 06-13-2004 at 01:51 AM

Is there a way to create a protocol and then attach it to messenger so that the plugin will understand it but if there is no plugin then messenger just silently discard the information?

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by aNILEator on 06-13-2004 at 03:43 AM

i'm really looking forward to this project being released.... lol look out for microsoft on this they will be like :dodgy: lets beat him to it

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Vantage on 06-13-2004 at 03:48 AM

Why doesn't someone just get the Korean Plus! steal the code from there and put in MSN MEssenger?

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Concord Dawn on 06-13-2004 at 03:52 AM

Copyright.....8-)

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Vantage on 06-13-2004 at 04:01 AM

Make an Add-on
Don't Make it a Plus! Feature

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Concord Dawn on 06-13-2004 at 05:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Vantage
so? lot of ppl break it but honestly who cares?

Microsoft and their partners care. They would be on lhunath like a cheap suit.

quote:
Make an Add-on
Don't Make it a Plus! Feature

A Plus! feature would be better because it takes up less memory and she can use these forums as support.
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Vantage on 06-13-2004 at 05:29 AM

Yeah but we dont want anything illegal in Plus! now do we?

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Concord Dawn on 06-13-2004 at 07:31 AM

So why not just take apart the program, see how it works, then write a similar code that is built for our needs.

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Black_Forky on 06-13-2004 at 12:14 PM

you can't have your own pics with that korean thing

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by reisyboy on 06-13-2004 at 01:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
So why not just take apart the program, see how it works, then write a similar code that is built for our needs.
Also disassembly of a program to steel parts is ilegal :P...

So far the method that has been propoused has had probelsm that comments they add to animate are removed by the protocall (as i understand it) to make the file size smaller, therefore they are working on a way of either making the image comments read only in effect and not removable.... or a different method of the plugin sendign lots of seperate frame pictures then the person with the plug at the other end assembling them into an animation - crude but workable, however people without the plug will get anoyed by your display picture changing every few seconds or atleast very often. Benfit of other method they would only see the first frame if they didnt have the plugin and just see it as a still picture.

Now i may have parts wrong but thats how i understand it..... insted of proposing ilegal methods :P of disassembly. Lets give them some time to work on it. :)
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Concord Dawn on 06-13-2004 at 02:49 PM

quote:
quote:
Also disassembly of a program to steel parts is ilegal :P...

So far the method that has been propoused has had probelsm that comments they add to animate are removed by the protocall (as i understand it) to make the file size smaller, therefore they are working on a way of either making the image comments read only in effect and not removable.... or a different method of the plugin sendign lots of seperate frame pictures then the person with the plug at the other end assembling them into an animation - crude but workable, however people without the plug will get anoyed by your display picture changing every few seconds or atleast very often. Benfit of other method they would only see the first frame if they didnt have the plugin and just see it as a still picture.

Now i may have parts wrong but thats how i understand it..... insted of proposing ilegal methods :P of disassembly. Lets give them some time to work on it. :)

I was suggesting that lhunath disassemble the program to examine it. But I guess there is something in the EULA that says no disassembling. I don't ever read it :P

The problem with sending small chuncks and then re-assembling them would be that you would need to have a seperate program running. Inserting the animation into the comments and locking it, then extracting the picture and displaying it over the Display Picture is a much better idea, if it's doable.
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 06-13-2004 at 03:21 PM

quote:
The problem with sending small chuncks and then re-assembling them would be that you would need to have a seperate program running.
That's called a plugin or addon :undecided:

quote:
Inserting the animation into the comments and locking it
that doesn't make sense, reread the thread to know how a PNG is made up. And you can't "lock" something inside a file....

quote:
then extracting the picture and displaying it over the Display Picture is a much better idea
This whole thread is exactly about that. :undecided:

Please reread the thread... Reisyboy summed it up quite well. Do not suggest things unless you didn't read the thread and/or don't understand what the problems are and what the possible decent fixes are....

This thread was a nice, decent, technical, on topic, thread... :(
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by reisyboy on 06-13-2004 at 03:46 PM

Atleast its moved back onto it now Cookie you seem very intouch with the progress. Any news you have or not ?

RE: RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by saralk on 06-13-2004 at 03:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by (CyBeRDuDe)
Saralk:
We don't want it to be an externel program that shows the DP in an external window...

neither do i :/ i probably didnt explain it right

quote:
I think that they have already found a way to compile the animated GIF into the PNG's so that U can use them as ordinary PNG images which Messenger use..

i thaught they found out that was impossible because the msn protocol removed anything that isnt the png or something
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 06-13-2004 at 04:13 PM

quote:
Atleast its moved back onto it now Cookie you seem very intouch with the progress. Any news you have or not ?
Nope, I only know what I read in this thread. And if there is any progress I'm sure the people who are investigating this will reply to this thread, so...

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
i thaught they found out that was impossible because the msn protocol removed anything that isnt the png or something
yep, something like that. MSN Messenger strips everything out of the PNG which it doesn't need and it sends only the raw imagedata. When the raw data is received again it is put back together to make a decent PNG. But in that process the extra info (used for the animated gif) is lost... That's what TheBlasphemer told lhunath, the programmer for this project. see http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=26...d=252594#pid252594
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by (CyBeRDuDe) on 06-13-2004 at 08:28 PM

Ok... if we are stuck at the "Messenger is ripping the extra info" thing, then why not change to another method... I know this is a very "unprofessionel" way... but it would work...
Instead of Coding the Animated GIFS into the PNG's.. then why not let messenger send the ordinary DP, and then check if the other user have the plugin, if he/she does, then make a p2p (socket) connection and then file transfer the GIF, and on the other end then show the GIF ontop of the DP Area.... then the hard part will be to find a way to paint ontop of the DP, or maybe even Hijack/hook the DP area... (but this is impossible, or at least it seems)....

This isn't exactly really professionel but it works????

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by reisyboy on 06-14-2004 at 03:27 PM

What about using the MSN Messenger P2P Protocall to send the D/P its a physical part of the MSN Messenger program, so im thinking that may work :-/? Or may not :-/??

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by RebelSean on 07-22-2004 at 04:05 AM

Whats the status on this plugin? Is it still in development/canceled? Or what? :undecided:

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by aNILEator on 07-22-2004 at 05:03 AM

just what i was thinking wheres our update lhunath????

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 09-02-2004 at 12:03 PM

I've been dead for a while; and have just been reanimated; I'm working in some shop now, but rereading this thread has given me a longing to relaunch this stuff.
As long as I can find a way to keep msn messenger from removing the extra data from the PNGs.

Btw, Cyberdude, I don't like the way you planned on doing it; it might work, but it's a crappy solution, and I don't mind at all you going for it, but when I do something, I'd rather do it the right way.
What I'm looking for right now, is a way to bypass the PNG => RAW => PNG algorythm of MSN Messenger. I'll need to memhack that probably, the way TheBlashphemer did with so many things for his StuffplugNG. Therefore, TB, I call upon thee. Memhack it for me =P ASM is not my terrain, and until that has been settled, I cannot proceed.

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by aNILEator on 09-02-2004 at 03:23 PM

......We should write a superhero type music theme for TB at these kind of moments :-p

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by reisyboy on 09-02-2004 at 10:21 PM

Somthin like the terminator or ermm apocalpse now :P

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by aNILEator on 09-03-2004 at 07:30 AM

yeah ok TB that sucks i'm in a similar situation atm, just keep your cool and take your time :)

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by RebelSean on 09-03-2004 at 11:02 PM

quote:
I've been dead for a while; and have just been reanimated; I'm working in some shop now, but rereading this thread has given me a longing to relaunch this stuff.
As long as I can find a way to keep msn messenger from removing the extra data from the PNGs.

Btw, Cyberdude, I don't like the way you planned on doing it; it might work, but it's a crappy solution, and I don't mind at all you going for it, but when I do something, I'd rather do it the right way.
What I'm looking for right now, is a way to bypass the PNG => RAW => PNG algorythm of MSN Messenger. I'll need to memhack that probably, the way TheBlashphemer did with so many things for his StuffplugNG. Therefore, TB, I call upon thee. Memhack it for me =P ASM is not my terrain, and until that has been settled, I cannot proceed.

So you will not be working on this plugin? Or you are going to try and continue it...It's nice to hear from you  again. I was realy interested in this being the thing for a animated DP...But welcome back and hope things get better for you :).
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 09-05-2004 at 12:38 PM

quote:
No time... sorry... constant fights with dad... very busy with school... extremely depressed cause of constant fights with dad... etc... I even had to delay SPNG... just cant take it anymore....
=/ That sounds bad man, wish I could help you out.
You know how to reach me; poke me if I can help ya.
Anyway, I'll ponder about another way to do this; if anybody has suggestions, I'm open for any. As long as they don't include ASMing.

* lhunath is busy writing an mIRC Script.
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Vantage on 09-07-2004 at 09:22 PM

I have some ideas...
Make a program that will change ur DP really fast so it looks like its moving over and over, alls u need is the slides at the same time that program will take care of the 1 sec. delay of changing pictures [if thats possible]
Also I noticed when u ask someone to view their webcam before it connects it shows a webcam looking around, can't DP be like that? or is that manualy in MSN Messenger?

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by aNILEator on 09-07-2004 at 09:39 PM

the slideshow thing doesn't work, ADP is a slideshow program works nice but not like we would ultimately want.

HOWEVER!!!

You may have struck a chord with the webcam .gif thing if someone could figure out how that is configured then maybe that would work. :-)

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by (CyBeRDuDe) on 09-08-2004 at 09:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly

You may have struck a chord with the webcam .gif thing if someone could figure out how that is configured then maybe that would work. :-)

Hmm... Yeah... This might actually work.. we have tried so many different things that anything would be worth a try... :D

BUT... If i'm not mistaking/misjudging M$, then they are using another "component" to show the webcam _AND_ webcam loading.... so..... But it would be worth a shot to experiment with this and check out what exacly is going on.... maybe even we could "control" this "component" and then make it display the animated dp... this will of course mean that we cannot do the webcam session but then cut of the connection with the anidp before a webcam session starts.....

hehe... I'm just thinking... :D:P
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 09-08-2004 at 11:45 AM

that would be again a lousy way: initiating a webcam session and then cancelling it...

The moving webcam pic is btw just 1 long PNG with the different "frames" in the same image just like wtbw explained earlier here...
There is nothing special about it

Furthermore, this doesn't solve the most important problem and that is how to send the animation to your contact...

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by aNILEator on 09-08-2004 at 03:22 PM

...your too good at this.

Where is the .PNG located i wanna customize it :D

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 09-08-2004 at 05:59 PM

[OFF TOPIC]
PNG 1034 and PNG 1033
both seem the same but actually aren't, dunno which one it is that is used where...
[/OFF TOPIC]

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by VuDu on 09-08-2004 at 06:12 PM

did MSN completly abandoned the idea of using animated dp? cause if not, in a few time this whole topic would be a huge lost of time. i heard in some interview, dunno if it was on mess.be that they were thinking about putting the animated DPs to work on a future release

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by aNILEator on 09-08-2004 at 07:07 PM

MSN 7 probably, but we want it now

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 09-09-2004 at 12:00 AM

Don't start rumors and don't speculate without proof!

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by VuDu on 09-09-2004 at 12:13 AM

for what i can tell if someone ever make a plugin like that it will require both parts to have that plugin in order to see the animation. im not seein it beeing worth the time spent, but hey its not me that is going to make it, so... go ahead :P

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 09-09-2004 at 12:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by VuDu
for what i can tell if someone ever make a plugin like that it will require both parts to have that plugin in order to see the animation. im not seein it beeing worth the time spent, but hey its not me that is going to make it, so... go ahead :P
This is already discussed... read the thread...
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 09-10-2004 at 10:26 PM

Ok, this thread has gone nicely off topic.

quote:
You may have struck a chord with the webcam .gif thing if someone could figure out how that is configured then maybe that would work.
For one, the problem is, as cookie said, getting the animation to the other side, not displaying it. The webcam image showing could only be of use when trying to figure out a way to display the image after it being received, for which, we already have plenty of options/ideas. Yet, perhaps, perhaps.

quote:
Originally posted by VuDu
did MSN completly abandoned the idea of using animated dp?

MSN never had the idea, by my knowledge. And I doubt they will implement it. Go ahead and cross your fingers if you feel better doing it, but don't hope; or spread faulse hope =P

I'm on smalband so I'm having trouble browsing the forum; sorry if I don't reply too much or keep this topic alive enough.

~lhun
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by ElectroSoft on 09-12-2004 at 02:13 AM

so guys how are we gonna transfer  the Display Picture!!
we know that when we add a display picture, the Messenger edit the picture and save it in C:\Documents and Settings\"USER"\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\"Random number"\UserTile\....
but the problem is that we can't edit or change or add pictures in this directory because they are protected by the map.dat encrypted file!!
anybody knows how to decrypt that file to be able to add, edit the size of a picture?! then we can add a png file as we said before which have in the comments a link to a gif image on any website because as I read we can't store the whole gif animated image because we're allowed to use only 2 kb...

sorry.. my english is so bad :D
btw this is a very interresting topic...
TheBlasphemer can help here for sure since he has done the large DP thing!!

keep on working in this thread please :)

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 09-12-2004 at 09:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ElectroSoft
then we can add a png file as we said before which have in the comments a link to a gif image on any website because as I read we can't store the whole gif animated image because we're allowed to use only 2 kb...
Only 2kb? If you don't mind, could you find the source of that assumption for me?

By the way, adding a DP there would be one way, I don't know what kind of protection there is in the map.dat file and how to break it, yet it would not be my favorite way, since you wouldn't be able to add animating DP's through the normal Msn Messenger Display Picture Adder. Which would make it seem more professional. This would require an ASM hack like the one TB did in his SPNG.

I'll see if I can figure out something about the encryption of the DP's.

quote:
C:\Documents and Settings\"USER"\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\"Random number"\UserTile\
It's not a random number, it's a number derived from your email address. And the algorythm to calculate it is known.
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by BEWARE^^ on 09-12-2004 at 09:41 AM

quote:

By the way, adding a DP there would be one way, I don't know what kind of protection there is in the map.dat file and how to break it, yet it would not be my favorite way, since you wouldn't be able to add animating DP's through the normal Msn Messenger Display Picture Adder. Which would make it seem more professional. This would require an ASM hack like the one TB did in his SPNG.

I'll see if I can figure out something about the encryption of the DP's.

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Millenium_edition on 09-12-2004 at 10:01 AM

quote:
It's not a random number, it's a number derived from your email address. And the algorythm to calculate it is known.
It's not. daniel from msnfanatic has found how to do it. Too bad msnfanatic is down now :(
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Tochjo on 09-12-2004 at 10:38 AM

Use this file to figure out what number matches what email address.

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by ElectroSoft on 09-12-2004 at 02:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
Use this file to figure out what number matches what email address.

dunno man.. but I read that it's a random number from an official Microsoft website
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Tochjo on 09-12-2004 at 02:59 PM

The number is based on your email address. If you enter the email address in the program I linked to ("this file" was a link), it will give you the number. Therefore, it's not completely random :)

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by ElectroSoft on 09-12-2004 at 03:02 PM

anyway out of the subject!! I think we can find the number of each account in the registery

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 09-12-2004 at 04:56 PM

ElectroSoft, sorry to be so harsh, but drop it. It is NOT random. period. It is a calculated number, like said before, nothing needs to be looked up in the registry and because it is a know calculated formula, it isn't even there to look up. (old thread that covers this: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=15519)

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Vantage on 09-12-2004 at 05:05 PM

Are you guys trying to figure out a way so that its "not Illegal"? because if someone if it is, this will be more hard then i though, but if you guys aren't why not just open tha map file and delete that part of the script?, or just trying and configure it so it disable that feature?

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 09-12-2004 at 05:20 PM

No, they are trying to figure out how to SEND the animated DP....

quote:
but if you guys aren't why not just open tha map file and delete that part of the script?, or just trying and configure it so it disable that feature?
This makes no sense....
the map.dat file is an encrypted list of the stored DP's (simply put); there is no coding in it to be disabled....

Furthermore, this is not the issue. Again, the issue is "HOW TO SEND THE DP"... Once that is figured out, methods of storing and showing can be discussed.
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Vantage on 09-12-2004 at 05:24 PM

this may sound complicated, but im not sure if this makes sense but look how,
http://www.msn2go.com/
http://webmessenger.msn.com/
http://www.piglet-im.com/
http://www.wbmsn.net/
are put together, they run on a server now i know they have no DP but wouldn't you be able to run a server that connects to then MSN server then send the DP from there, or just directly to the MSN Messenger server.

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 09-12-2004 at 06:44 PM

quote:
are put together, they run on a server now i know they have no DP but wouldn't you be able to run a server that connects to then MSN server then send the DP from there, or just directly to the MSN Messenger server.
And what has this to do with animated DP's?
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 09-12-2004 at 07:24 PM

* lhunath sighs.

Ok, thanks for trying to help here, people, but really; all we need to do, and read it once more and don't divert from it, is :
Find a method to make MSN Messenger use the PNG containing the animation data (hidden data), and not rip it out.

Possible directions to solve this are:
1. Bypassing the algorithm of MSN Messenger which converts images to RAW image data (only the actual pixels you see), then converting the RAW data to PNG. (This way, all hidden data in our original PNG disappears, because it's not in the visible pixels - RAW data.)
2. Adding our PNGs with hidden data directly to the Display Pictures directory and customising the map.dat (and index file) to add the entry of our display picture, so that it appears in the list.

Problems currently keeping us from using any of these solutions:
1. This requires an ASM hack, in the form of a patch or memhack, kind of like Stuffplug NG does very often. I don't know any ASM so I can't do this. I need an ASM programmer to bypass the MSN Messenger algorythm.
2. Decrypting the map.dat file has been successfully done before, the problem is Encrypting it again. Appearantly that isn't very easy. I will try to get in touch with the person that decrypted it. He's at MSNFanatic's board.

I appreciate your input, but people, please stay on topic, and try to keep the thread clean and to the point so we don't get lost in confusion.

Thank you,
~lhun

Hidden Data; post your Feature Requests by lhunath on 09-14-2004 at 02:57 PM

Excuse me in advance for the double post, but I required your attention and input on the following.

The development of this plugin has progressed to such a phase that I am able to add custom chunks of data into a PNG, which will then be used as your Display Picture, allowing for more hidden data to be transmitted. This hidden data was to then contain an Animating GIF image, which would be overlayed over a PNG image, resulting in an Animating Display Picture.

I have recently decided that with this knowledge and the fact that this plugin will be required for both sides to function, I have the ability to add a whole lot more of features, and thus I thought of turning to you to see what kind of requests you would make, ideas on what kind of features I could integrate using this method.

To give you better idea on what kind of ideas I'm looking for, I'll write down some of my own, things I've thought of up to now.

- Animating Display Picture (of course)
- Linked Display Picture (your display picture will link to for example your homepage)
- About Me (some information conscearning yourself, call it, a mini-profile)
- Your Public PGP/GPG Encryption key, maybe further research could result in encrypted conversations over MSN Messenger this way.

As a last note, I want to state that you people shouldn't expect too much of this as of yet, since there still is no way of actually adding the PNG with the hidden data to the Display Pictures (see the above post of mine). Therefore, I'm still looking for ideas on figuring a way to bypass that problem.

~lhun

(Admins, if you believe that this should be a seperate thread, just split it, I'm not sure what to do with it.)

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 09-14-2004 at 03:08 PM

Congrats on the progress (Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)...
wait, I'm not certain... Are you saying that you solved the problem of the stripped data (only RAW image data) begin sent (and thus the added hidden data isn't stripped out anymore)?

As for the additional added info, it seems great also...
As for the adding of the DP, I think ASM must come into play and since few people know about it, I suggest to turn to wtbw or TB for that...

Keep up the good work....

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by aNILEator on 09-14-2004 at 03:11 PM

Sounds cool I like the ideas, so this would then turn into an actual plugin with a configure option so you could choose if you wanted to have links ect :)

Well done :D

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Knad on 09-14-2004 at 03:15 PM

sweet, this plugin sounds like it will be amazing :)
well done mate

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Huuf on 09-14-2004 at 03:17 PM

I've tried something like this, allowing msn messenger to allow mng files, but I didn't succeed, and when accepted some strange results happend.

So I just think it ain't possible

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 09-14-2004 at 03:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Huuf
allowing msn messenger to allow mng files
Could you explain a bit more detailed, though?
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by riahc4 on 09-14-2004 at 08:18 PM

You fixed the problem stated by cookie?

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 09-14-2004 at 08:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
As in, what problem? You mean the ASMing? I stated in my last general post what the real issue here is, and no, I haven't, as I'm no ASM programmer/debugger.
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by riahc4 on 09-14-2004 at 08:28 PM

quote:
quote:
As in, what problem? You mean the ASMing? I stated in my last general post what the real issue here is, and no, I haven't, as I'm no ASM programmer/debugger.

Ok then youve found a workaround? The problem was you didnt know ASM and TB was too occupied at the moment to help out so project stopped there. Now you talking about new features and stuff. Did u first figure this out finally about the problem of animated DPs?
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Vantage on 09-14-2004 at 08:30 PM

I hope you figure this one out really soon (y) I hope the best for you

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 09-14-2004 at 08:31 PM

quote:
Are you saying that you solved the problem of the stripped data (only RAW image data) begin sent (and thus the added hidden data isn't stripped out anymore)?

sorry for repeating, but it's a bit confussing atm in what has been solved (or not)
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 09-14-2004 at 08:57 PM

quote:
Are you saying that you solved the problem of the stripped data (only RAW image data) begin sent (and thus the added hidden data isn't stripped out anymore)?
Oh, sorry, didn't notice you editing that post.
Let me answer with a quote. =)
quote:
As a last note, I want to state that you people shouldn't expect too much of this as of yet, since there still is no way of actually adding the PNG with the hidden data to the Display Pictures (see the above post of mine).
It's not really sending RAW data, it's converting images to RAW, then saving that as PNG, in the UserTile folder. It's those PNGs that need the Hidden Data. And I can't get it there. So, not really much progress as of yet. =P Job/Social situation is slowing me down. =/
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by bostonfanx on 09-18-2004 at 04:13 AM

Any progress update. Any prealpha we can test?

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 09-18-2004 at 07:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bostonfanx
Any progress update. Any prealpha we can test?
*sigh* If you read the above threads you should understand perfectly well that it's impossible for any alpha to be tested.. =/
I have no way as to send the picture yet, so please.
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by ironlink on 09-19-2004 at 12:55 AM

I wish I would have found this thread earlier... (partly because reading the last 5 pages just to see if you had allready tried what I'm about to say was a pain)

some time ago I read about some guy who had developed a way of representing data as truecolor pixels, how about making the top row of pixels in the display picture tell the plugin the IP and port where it can obtain the animated image (P2P style)?

when I read what I just wrote I realize it doesn't solve the problem of adding it to the list of pictures (you'd have to ask the user to manually add the modified picture containing the data I guess), but maybe it'll do some good..

Oh, and never ever let computer-stuff take over your life. I your family or what ever needs time, take that time and get stuff sorted, take more than enough time. I know a guy who allways made computers top-priority in his life, and he's not exactly doing good at the moment..
(i.e. if you feel you don't have time to work on this project, don't push things)

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 09-19-2004 at 09:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ironlink
Oh, and never ever let computer-stuff take over your life.
Exactly why this project isn't really coming off of the ground. Sorry people.
quote:
Originally posted by ironlink
how about making the top row of pixels in the display picture tell the plugin the IP and port where it can obtain the animated image (P2P style)?
That's actually a very good idea, but it would mean I'll need to divert from the protocol, and build my own connection. I would prefer to keep all data in one protocol, as to prevent things from getting overly confusing later on.
Yet, if it turns out that setting a display picture manually without getting MSN Messenger from bypassing its IMG => RAW => PNG step, it might be open for conscidderation. Thank you for your input =)

*edits first post*
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 09-19-2004 at 11:04 AM

Indeed nice suggestion. And that made me think "How to include data in pixels (actual imagedata) without altering the actual pixel?". Well in PNG this IS possible :D. But you need to know the PNG format very well for that. The trick is to use an alpha-palette.

As you know PNG's supports transparency. Normaly the pixeldata of a PNG with full transparency is stored like this: R G B A R G B A R G B A R G B A... Where RGB is the obvious red/green/blue value, and A is the transparency level. Now altering the transparency level here will result in different pixelshades, so that's no good.

But PNG also supports alpha-palette's. This means that the colors and transparency aren't stored in the pixeldata but in the palette. So, a palette is created and the pixeldata doesn't contain the R G B values but an index to the palette instead. This also means that you can have palette entries which you don't actually use in the image! And here we have our "space" to add the data :D Create an alpha-palette-PNG and add some extra palette entries where you will store your data.

Backdraw, I dunno if Messenger supports these PNG's, and if it does, how they are handled. But since the palette is a important part of an image, I actually have good hopes for it...

more info:
http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/

Note: but implementing this will need a great effort. You need to "read in" the PNG's (DP's) and convert them to an alpha-palette-png (<= not easy), add some palette entries and write the "new format" (including compression! etc. <= totaly not easy)...

EDIT:
[OFFTOPIC]
lol, this brings back memories of a big Belgian contest held back in the mid 90's. Some computer magazine (can't remember which) made a thick article spread over several issues about hidden data in normal computer files and how it can be used. They held a contest to find the hidden data in some common files, like Word docs, images, databases, etc. It opened up whole new ideas and very nice systems of hiding data. It was the hot topic to talk about in Belgian computer world :D lol, I remember finding some funny hidden picture of the author of the article in a ZIP file.....
[/OFFTOPIC]

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by aNILEator on 09-19-2004 at 11:17 AM

hope, once again (brb)

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by reisyboy on 09-19-2004 at 11:27 AM

Atlast we have a plan :D - keep us updated ;) :D :)

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 09-19-2004 at 12:58 PM

quote:
This also means that you can have palette entries which you don't actually use in the image!
If I understand this correctly, you want to add hidden data to the image colour palette. Entries which aren't refered to by the actual image data.
I don't think that'll work since when MSN Messenger converts the image to a RAW image, these entries which aren't used will be completely lost (as they have no representation in the visible content of the image). I don't think when Messenger converts images to RAW, that it also keeps track of all the palette entries, if any.
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 09-19-2004 at 01:04 PM

quote:
If I understand this correctly, you want to add hidden data to the image colour palette. Entries which aren't refered to by the actual image data.
correct
quote:
I don't think that'll work since when MSN Messenger converts the image to a RAW image, these entries which aren't used will be completely lost (as they have no representation in the visible content of the image). I don't think when Messenger converts images to RAW, that it also keeps track of all the palette entries, if any.
I dunno... depends on how Messenger defines "raw". Palettes are part of raw image data in a sense. I dunno what the actual "raw image"-format looks like and if Messenger converts palette entries (pixelindex) to pixeldata (RGBA) or not. We know it strips most parts of the PNG, but do you know if it also strips the palettes? If so, then indeed that method will not work.

IIRC, but I can be wrong, then PNG's with alpha-palettes can have 65536 (!) possible values of the transparency instead of the 256 possebilities of the normal RGBA-method. So in a sense, if Messenger converts the alpha-palette to RGBA, it will loose information in the actual image, and I dunno if it does that or not... maybe trying to add a true alpha-palette enabled image to the DP's and checking it's format afterwards will tell this...
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 09-19-2004 at 01:10 PM

quote:
know if it also strips the palettes? If so, then indeed that method will not work.
I recon since it destroys any kind of transparancy that it converts it all to RGB; or some kind of BMP-rawness.
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 09-19-2004 at 01:12 PM

quote:
I recon since it destroys any kind of transparancy that it converts it all to RGB; or some kind of BMP-rawness.
It doesn't destroy transparency IIRC, I have a DP that is partialy transparent, so.... (if that is what you mean)
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 09-20-2004 at 01:33 PM

quote:
{14:29:00} [Highly Classified]: man I think I've got an Idea to decrypt the map.dat and encrypt it again
{14:34:14} [Highly Classified]: KERNEL32.CreateFileMappingA notify me if it works
I got home and saw this message on my pc. The person had gone offline already. Anybody knows what exactly he could have meant by it? I don't see exactly how mapping a file into memory can help me here. =O
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 09-20-2004 at 01:37 PM

altering the file in memory (like "soft patches" like jnrzloader, wtbwplugin, etc. do with messenger)? bypassing the encryption/decryption of the file itself and let messenger do the work.

I dunno, is the map.dat even stored in memory when Messenger is running? I honestly doubt it, but I'm not sure...

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 09-20-2004 at 01:56 PM

quote:
I dunno, is the map.dat even stored in memory when Messenger is running?
I don't think it is, for one, it would be a huge security flaw, and worthless to encrypt it in the first place then, secondly, MSN Messenger reloads the file every time it scans for DPs, I don't see the need of putting it into memory then.
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by ElectroSoft on 09-21-2004 at 10:44 AM

quote:
altering the file in memory (like "soft patches" like jnrzloader, wtbwplugin, etc. do with messenger)? bypassing the encryption/decryption of the file itself and let messenger do the work.

I dunno, is the map.dat even stored in memory when Messenger is running? I honestly doubt it, but I'm not sure...
quote:
I don't think it is, for one, it would be a huge security flaw, and worthless to encrypt it in the first place then, secondly, MSN Messenger reloads the file every time it scans for DPs, I don't see the need of putting it into memory then.

map.dat is found in the memory when the msn messenger wants to decrypt or encrypt it!! it will store it in the memory, do the modifications and store it back in the hard disk
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by riahc4 on 09-21-2004 at 08:09 PM

i dont know nething bout programming but has the new 3.20 API helped u with nething lhunath?

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by user27089 on 09-21-2004 at 08:22 PM

quote:

i dont know nething bout programming but has the new 3.20 API helped u with nething lhunath?

doubt it very much

editing map.dat is extremly hard :S

for one its just a dump of all the data collected my msn messenger

all you need to do is work out the equation for the file name :S

TFRD201 could be for example could be BlAGE or BiAGUAQABnAG0AYQBp we dont know

2 cents

Stigmata

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by aNILEator on 09-21-2004 at 08:23 PM

i doubt it, seeing as they are dealing with messenger not msgplus :S

I think this will just be a standalone program in teh end, it would probably be easier

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 09-21-2004 at 08:58 PM

quote:
it will store it in the memory, do the modifications and store it back in the hard disk
Are you trying to say that MSN Messenger loads map.dat in memory, decrypts it in memory, has it in memory unencrypted, does it's editing, then re-encrypts t, and saves it back to disk?
Meaning, I should, whenever map.dat is loaded into memory, and after it's decrypted, quickly add my custom DP's in it, before MSN Messenger uses it.. hmm.. no, whenever one wants to add an animated DP, I'd have to add a dummy DP with the Messenger API, then, after MSN Messenger decrypts the map.dat file, inject my animated png.. then have MSN Messenger encrypt it all again with the dummy DP; then simply remove the dummy DP.. Let MSN Messenger work for me..
But I don't see how MSN Messenger could be that insecure with its encryption, after all, what's the point of encrypting it anyway then? But ok, worth a shot.
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by ElectroSoft on 09-21-2004 at 09:55 PM

quote:
Meaning, I should, whenever map.dat is loaded into memory, and after it's decrypted, quickly add my custom DP's in it, before MSN Messenger uses it..

lol.. yes quickly..
:P

btw I think what you're thinking about is hooking!!!
you'll have to patch the Msn Messenger software... using ASM
Never did that before... that may be the mem hack!! :P

The Blasphemer should help here!! he knows how but he doesn't want to share his informations :D
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Millenium_edition on 09-22-2004 at 11:54 AM

quote:
The Blasphemer should help here!! he knows how but he doesn't want to share his informations
of course he knows, he does ASM. :-/ anyone that has very good knowledge of ASM (like TB) would know how to do it. But implementing MNG stuff into that takes a lot of debugging and modifying.

fyi: not lots of hours, lots of days...
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Eric on 09-22-2004 at 01:35 PM

Yes using MNG would be perfect....too bad most browsers don't support mng nowadays and I don't know any graphic editors that support MNG either...too bad it hasn't replaced GIF...

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 09-22-2004 at 02:33 PM

quote:
But implementing MNG stuff into that takes a lot of debugging and modifying.
implementing MNG is not the purpose ;)

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Millenium_edition on 09-22-2004 at 05:33 PM

quote:
quote:
But implementing MNG stuff into that takes a lot of debugging and modifying.
implementing MNG is not the purpose ;)
it's the same for GIF stuff you know. And the PNG engine is already built in, so a bit (a lot) of editing could fix that.

Blah, do it using a proxy?
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 09-23-2004 at 06:39 AM

No, you missed to point I guess... The purpose is not to replace the PNG-engine with a MNG-engine or GIF-engine or any other fileformat-engine for that matter... The PNG-engine will still be used as always, only the difference is that the animated GIF will be inside a "chunck"* of the PNG/DP... Messenger will still open/save PNG's, nothing will be changed to that...

The thing that needs to be changed/skipped is Messenger's routine which strips of the PNG to it's bare raw minimums (thus including the special chunk) before it is saved in your cache folder...

(* "chunck" is a name for a specific part of the PNG format)

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by reisyboy on 09-24-2004 at 05:27 PM

quote:
(* "chunck" is a name for a specific part of the PNG format)
In other words the bit that makes in come to life... but to save badnwith i guess MSN Messenger strips all non-picture data out.
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 09-24-2004 at 06:12 PM

quote:
but to save badnwith i guess MSN Messenger strips all non-picture data out.
Not just to save bandwidth, but the reasons for this are another discussion.
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Blabj on 09-27-2004 at 08:45 PM

Just Thought I'd dig this up, and ask how things are going?

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by .Roy on 09-27-2004 at 08:49 PM

i dont know what u guys are actually doing but good luck trying to get someone animation into an avatar in msn

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by riahc4 on 11-05-2004 at 06:10 PM

Seems MSN 7 isnt gonna have Animated Display Pics either.....

is someone gonna continue this project?

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by lhunath on 11-06-2004 at 01:59 PM

I'm stuck until the ASM programming is done, and I can't myself. So if someone were to be nice and do it for me, I'll continue.
Can't be bothered to focus these days. Sigh. =P

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by aNILEator on 11-06-2004 at 02:13 PM

try to learn it then lhunath

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by Millenium_edition on 11-06-2004 at 02:28 PM

quote:
try to learn it then lhunath
you obviously never tried programming. :rolleyes:
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by aNILEator on 11-06-2004 at 05:43 PM

Nah, i'm more of an image and music person myself, i know html and i am learning flash slowly

and anyway i wasn't talking to you :P

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by limus on 11-06-2004 at 06:28 PM

why dont u send a message with the animated gif in it, have the other client recognise the message and extract it. Then, somehow manage to cycle the images in the message windows.

This way, you can ask first if the other client has the plugin and send the animated gif only to those who have it.

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by riahc4 on 11-06-2004 at 10:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by limus
why dont u send a message with the animated gif in it, have the other client recognise the message and extract it. Then, somehow manage to cycle the images in the message windows.

This way, you can ask first if the other client has the plugin and send the animated gif only to those who have it.

Nice suggestion but kinda complicated and could take up more bandwidth.

BTW lhunath have you looked at MSN 7 and seen if anything has changed? Maybe theres something you can do.

hey M_e how much would a ASM programming book cost me and would it be dificult to learn for someone like me who doesnt know nething about programming?? Ive really wanted to apport something to the plug in community but i dont know anything or where to even start :(

if your problem cant be solved i attempt my shot at helping by making a thread/patition/poll about TB putting the SPNG project on hold (its working pretty good anyways) and helping you solve your problem. Id really like to see this in action (man i have a feeling TB and some other people gonna flame me for this post...)
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by CookieRevised on 11-07-2004 at 11:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by limus

defeats the whole purpose of what is to be achieved. I suggest to reread the entire thread to know what exactly is the meaning of this ;)

quote:
hey M_e how much would a ASM programming book cost me and would it be dificult to learn for someone like me who doesnt know nething about programming?? Ive really wanted to apport something to the plug in community but i dont know anything or where to even start
Don't go off topic! Check your local book store for that or search the net. And ASM is the most difficult thing to learn in programming. But above all, don't go off topic!
RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by riahc4 on 12-03-2004 at 11:03 PM

So after about 1 month is there anyone even thinking about it and not decided yet?

(If your post is just gonna be "riahc3 dont bring/bump up old topics" then please dont post because i wont care and wont even flame back. Im just really wanting this plugin)

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by aNILEator on 12-03-2004 at 11:11 PM

no nothing has been made, the most animated DP's you can get are by using a small app that noelie wrote that inserted a small internet explorer window over the DP box which could play gif files, however it was rather dodgy and not great to set up, and others needed the app aswell

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by riahc4 on 12-04-2004 at 01:36 AM

quote:
no nothing has been made, the most animated DP's you can get are by using a small app that noelie wrote that inserted a small internet explorer window over the DP box which could play gif files, however it was rather dodgy and not great to set up, and others needed the app aswell

Where can i find that app??

RE: Animating DP's, not abandoned yet. by aNILEator on 12-04-2004 at 10:32 PM

you probably can't it was only in private beta i believe, also the online server php files we used are probably no longer online, it looked crappy by the way and if you did anything to the contact windows like move them resize them click somewhere else then return to it, the app would crash very buggy