Shoutbox

Black dot when current user replied to topic? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Black dot when current user replied to topic? (/showthread.php?tid=26117)

Black dot when current user replied to topic? by Mike on 05-26-2004 at 06:07 PM

Hi...
I dont know if this is suggested before but here it goes...

Many forums have a black dot at the icon that says that there was a new replie to that topic, that the topic is hot etc...
If you have replied to that topic it will have a black dot at that icon.
WDZ can you add this to these forums?
An example icon would be:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=251238]

So what do you think? :happy:

RE: Black dot when current user replied to topic? by WDZ on 05-26-2004 at 06:12 PM

It's disabled here, because on a large board like this, it slows down forumdisplay.php really bad.

Normally, it takes like 0.2 seconds to process the page, but with that enabled, it can take over 10. :-/

RE: Black dot when current user replied to topic? by Concord Dawn on 05-26-2004 at 06:13 PM

Is that because it's requesting the same image 6 zillion times? Or just because of the image itself?

RE: Black dot when current user replied to topic? by Mike on 05-26-2004 at 06:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
It's disabled here, because on a large board like this, it slows down forumdisplay.php really bad.

Normally, it takes like 0.2 seconds to process the page, but with that enabled, it can take over 10. :-/

Cant you make an option to enable it for the current user?
But it will slow the server...

RE: Black dot when current user replied to topic? by Stigmata on 05-26-2004 at 06:19 PM

sounds good
choose in user cp if u want it or not :)

RE: Black dot when current user replied to topic? by WDZ on 05-26-2004 at 06:37 PM

No, the speed itself isn't the only issue. It would also increase server load, and that's not a per-user problem. :p

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
Is that because it's requesting the same image 6 zillion times? Or just because of the image itself?
No... the image would only be downloaded once and then cached. The problem is that the script has to search the database to find a post by you for every thread that it displays.

If you want to view a list of 30 threads, MySQL has to look for 30 possible posts. In a database with 60000 posts, that can take a while.
RE: Black dot when current user replied to topic? by MC Inferno on 05-26-2004 at 11:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike2
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

Cant you make an option to enable it for the current user?
But it will slow the server...

If it slows the server... there's no chance :D Soz..... coz I do like this idea tbh, but when you're on 56K, (like me) it'll take forever.
RE: Black dot when current user replied to topic? by WDZ on 05-27-2004 at 03:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno
If it slows the server... there's no chance :D Soz..... coz I do like this idea tbh, but when you're on 56K, (like me) it'll take forever.
Your internet connection has nothing to do with it... the slow-down is on the server side... it would be slow even if you were on broadband.