Shoutbox

Filetransfer status in the chatwindow - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow (/showthread.php?tid=26189)

Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by ChronoGSM on 05-27-2004 at 07:56 PM

I was hoping someone else whould have this idea or suggestion:

I use the MSN messenger quite often to tranfer some files to my other pals online. You can have 3 active filetransfers (up or down) at a time. This is a handy option of the messenger and i use it a lot.

BUT....

Imagine this: You are transferring a quite large file whiche takes quite a while to complete. In the mean time you keep on chatting with your pal and a while later you wonder what the status of the transfer is.
Right now, the only way is to scroll wayyyyyy back up to find the filetransfer in the window. This on itself it quite annoying, but if your pal sends you a message while you are scrolling, the chat window autoimatically returns to the end-line of the chat..... so you can start scrolling all over again.... VERY annoying!!

So, what i would like as a new option in MsgPlus, is a filetransferstatus, somewhere in a fixed place in the chatwindow (for instance in the same bar the MgsPlus developers put the new MsgPlus menu icon).
These icons can be very simple icons when you click or point at it, you get the exact details of the filetransfer.
(or something like that). You can make an upload-icon green and a download optionyellow, for instance.

Like i said, i was surprised that no-one has asked this before, so now i will ;)

So, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE,  add this feature........ I would considder that an other "in your face, Microsoft" response to the msn developers.... lol

RE: Filtetransfer status in the chatwindow by Vilkku on 05-27-2004 at 08:02 PM

In a old version or Windows Messenger you could see how much of the file was left to send (in bytes/kbytes/mbytes)

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by ChronoGSM on 05-27-2004 at 08:09 PM

Right! in the old versions, microsoft had that covered... but since version 6, there are no usefull statuses..... now you can't monitor the transfer easily anymore.... the only way is to scroll way back up towads the transfer
So is MsgPlus would have this option put in, in their way, it would be another triumph for th MsgPlus team...

After all, most of us use MNS 6 now, so, this would be a good option

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by Chrono on 05-27-2004 at 08:14 PM

i dunno if its possible to implement such feature, but its certainly a very good idea (Y)

Btw, nice nickname :lol: ;)

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by lhunath on 05-27-2004 at 08:17 PM

Sounds as good as it sounds impossible to implement

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by ChronoGSM on 05-27-2004 at 08:28 PM

Hey the team of MsgPlus has done MANY things that were thought impossible... but they did it anyway!

Creating that icon is childsplay, they've shown that with the new menu-icon in version 3 of Plus!..... so an icon the same way, but now one that can monitor the filetransfers (it should be possible to monitor the msn's own transferstatur, in the background...... i think

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by ChronoGSM on 05-27-2004 at 08:33 PM

i have noticed some other people use the nam chrono... so i adjusted min a bit (long time ago_........ it used to be a nickname specially for my mobile phone for many years (hence the GSM part), but it kinda got stuck everywhere, and that seemed to be a nunique name... lol :P... so u use it everywhere now

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by Choli on 05-27-2004 at 08:59 PM

the idea is good, i agree that plus should add that option. however the best would be that microsoft adds that feature itself :P

quote:
Originally posted by ChronoGSM
Right now, the only way is to scroll wayyyyyy back up to find the filetransfer in the window. This on itself it quite annoying, but if your pal sends you a message while you are scrolling, the chat window autoimatically returns to the end-line of the chat..... so you can start scrolling all over again.... VERY annoying!!
you can click on the converation window while you're scrolling. When you do that, if your contact sends a message the window won't return to the end but to the point where the cursor is (where you're clicking while scrolling up). ;)
quote:
Hey the team of MsgPlus has done MANY things that were thought impossible... but they did it anyway!
this will seem more impossible to you: The messenger plus team is only one person. He's called Patchou. He has done all what you see in Plus. :P
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
Btw, nice nickname
:XP: :P
RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by ChronoGSM on 05-27-2004 at 09:06 PM

First of all, i applaud the work of Patchou...  He know exactly the things people want..... i only whish MSN had that same dedication to the people.

And i know MSN should be the one to implement this, and i have spend a few mails about this, and the only reply i got was "we will discuss this with our development team"
This was at the very beginning of MSN6, even in the bèta stage.... and now we have version 6.2, but still no imporvement in that particular option.

So now i put all my hopes on Patchou :P;)

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by lhunath on 05-27-2004 at 09:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lhunath
Sounds as good as it sounds impossible to implement
quote:
Read again what I said, I didn't say it was impossible, now did I ? ;)
RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by ChronoGSM on 05-27-2004 at 09:48 PM

ok ok.... you said it sounds impossible... not that it IS impossible.... lol(A)

Well let's leave it to Patchou to decide if it is or isn't (H)

RE: RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by lhunath on 05-27-2004 at 10:13 PM

quote:
ok ok.... you said it sounds impossible... not that it IS impossible.... lol(A)
Er.. getting closer. =P (do I talk in such weird ununderstandable metaphors 8-))

Anyway, drifting off-topic here :$

Ps./ It might be easier to do this by typing /xstatus or something, then getting a popup window showing you the detailed statusses of all the transfers in progress, with all the parameters the Plus! API / MSN API provide..
RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by ChronoGSM on 05-27-2004 at 10:23 PM

i haven't found a command like that, but it would be a way of implementing this option..... but if he can get that to work, it would be childsplay to add an extra icon somewhere on the bar.... The hard thing is to make the status work, i would think.... so if he would get that to work it would be VERY nice to make an icon for it as well....

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by bnevets27 on 05-28-2004 at 02:18 AM

yeah to think it SEEMS esay, i dunno how hard it is myself but if he got the icon in there...... this would be such a nice feature

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by elliot on 05-28-2004 at 04:10 PM

This is what MSN should have made file transfers look like:

[Image: Filetransfers.jpg]

What do you think? 8-|

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by Varish on 05-28-2004 at 04:36 PM

yeah, thats looks nice and plesent.

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by riley on 05-28-2004 at 04:54 PM

hey that looks nice indeed.. so you want advanced filetransfers.. that's a good idea.. what about pause/resume transfers... i know that a program (you know where i'm talkin'bout ;)) had plans to do this.. so it can be done ..and i've read that patchou has an idea how to do this... so hé maybe we gonna get advanced transfering with plus and also status indication (maybe with transfer speed, dunno it's possible).. now indeed that would be nice  :d

well anyways let's see what patchou has got to say...:P

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by ChronoGSM on 05-28-2004 at 06:26 PM

Yessss, now we're talking!  :D , A good idea on how it should look like, someone else that has extra idea's for advanced transfer options like pause/resume...... GREAT! :o)

Let's keep this up guys, let's make this a revolutionary new option in MSN / MsgPlus!

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by ChronoGSM on 05-28-2004 at 06:33 PM

oops!!! :$ i edited the poll (corrected a typing error) and now the votes have been reset(!?!?) It was on 14 (should be more i would say... lol)

Anywayzzz.... anyone that voted, please re-vote :^)8-|(Y)

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by ChronoGSM on 05-28-2004 at 06:37 PM

oops!!! :$ i edited the poll (corrected a typing error) and now the votes have been reset(!?!?) It was on 14 (should be more i would say... lol)

Anywayzzz.... anyone that voted, please re-vote :^)8-|(Y)

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by Millenium_edition on 05-28-2004 at 06:40 PM

* Millenium_edition said yes
elliot: that would be great

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by HaZe on 05-28-2004 at 07:24 PM

wow...i think thats pretty kool! is there any way of making a plugin or sum kind of addon to msn to enable u to pause and resume file transfers? :)

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by ChronoGSM on 05-28-2004 at 08:55 PM

Are there more ideas on what the status should show?
As the example posted by elliot, that's a good start!

For advanced features... let's hear some ideas like,
-speed,
-total bytes (remaining)
-total time (remaining),
-pause/resume,
-breaking the max. 3 transfers limit
-mp3 or jpg or mpg or bmp preview

etc.

keep it coming :P(Y)

P.S.
Let's hope Patchou can make our dreams com true..... lol

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by ZrednaZ on 05-29-2004 at 12:24 AM

quote:
Like i said, i was surprised that no-one has asked this before, so now i will ;)

Actually I did suggest this 6 months ago or so. :p
I, too, find it very annoying sometimes that transfers can't be followed easily (and resumed). I sent the suggestion to Microsofts development team (they have a form on their website for user suggestions), but they didn't respond to it. I even included a nice little home-made screenshot of how I'd like the system to be. :) I haven't been able to dig it up for this post, though. It pretty much resembled elliot's. :)

quote:
-mp3 or jpg or mpg or bmp preview

JPG's are previewed already, remember? ;)
RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by ipab on 05-29-2004 at 01:08 AM

seems like a great idea, only a pain in the a** to implement (the display of the file transfers in the dialog box), i've asked around and the resuming of file transfers is quite possible (even pathou said so) but the others is kinda hard.

p.s.  there is already a thread in the forums relating 2 resuming and pausing of file transfers

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by ChronoGSM on 05-29-2004 at 01:24 AM

Ok, JPEGS are previewd as a thumbnail... that's ok for me... but it would be nice to have MPG and MP3 to have previewd as well listen, or look at a portion that has already been transferred.:^)

Pause and resume is nice, but the one thin i want is an easy accessable way to watch the transfer statuses

(Y):D

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by Phrive on 05-29-2004 at 09:31 AM

i think its a very gd idea dn i ahve suggested it b4 as well

RE: RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by elliot on 05-29-2004 at 09:56 AM

quote:
-speed,
-total bytes (remaining)
-total time (remaining),
-pause/resume,

How about this :P

[Image: FileTransfersv2.jpg]
RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by Phrive on 05-29-2004 at 10:10 AM

that looks like a very very gd idea if it coud look liekt hat then id be a happy man

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by lhunath on 05-29-2004 at 10:16 AM

That would screw up the conv window for people using a bigger DP...

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by Martijn. on 05-29-2004 at 10:33 AM

This is a good idea (It was requested before, but I hope it will finally be implanted someday).

However, I think it'd be better to make this as a toast pop-up, because many people I know have large DP's, so the transfer stats as they are shown in the screenshot wouldn't show correctly...

RE: RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by elliot on 05-29-2004 at 01:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lhunath
That would screw up the conv window for people using a bigger DP...

That's the other great thing about my design! ;)
RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by matty on 05-29-2004 at 02:19 PM

Only way it could be done is by port sniffing and still thats pushing it, and as everyone said it would screw up the convo window with bigger dps, now another window could be used that would store them all, and again there is lots of room for error so...

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by ChronoGSM on 05-29-2004 at 03:00 PM

Ok, if i understand correctly, everyone agrees there should be some kind of transfer status. The only thing left is how it should look like.

But as a seperate windows (like a toast-popup), that becomes messy... i have seen that with other messengers and if you have multiple chatwindows, with a filetransfer from each pal, it will become very messy and hard to tell which is from whom.
afterall, we don't want too many open windows on our desktop+o(

But perhaps it can be made in several stages in the active chatwindow, that can be selected in the options menu on which one you prefer.
1/ a simple icon for each transfer in the chatwindow (for thos who don't want to mess up their window)
2/ a progressbar
3/ a full detailed bar/section in the chatwindows

perhaps when it's begun with step 1, you can pulldown, more options or properties.... and that with every stage....

Just put the different stages in the options menu and let the user decide wich one they prefer (even if you prefer toast popups). That way, everyone is happy (Y):D

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by matty on 05-29-2004 at 03:55 PM

What your not understanding is that the only way of doing it is using a port sniffer, But the port sniffer wont be able to tell you which transfer you are getting the data from if you can get any data from it at all.

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by ChronoGSM on 05-29-2004 at 04:06 PM

If a portsniffer is the only way, then how does MSN itself keep track on which transfer is on how many bytes have been send?

I'm not a programmer, but it seems to me like those main resources are already available in msn itself, just not visible like we would want to.

Like many options in msn (emoticons, colors, contactnames, statuses, etc) have been tapped into, or copied. Why should this be any different?
MSN has already a progressbar for every transfer, just on a very awkward place.

MsgPlus has not only added features of msn, but also made existing features more accessable and more enhanced.

To me, this would be one of those things...

But hey, then again, i'm not a programmer, i just use logic... lol ;)

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by ChronoGSM on 06-05-2004 at 12:20 AM

I don't mean to disagree with you, but it's just me, when someone says something is impossible, i will always look for proof to show nothing is impossible ... lol....     

Even when someone says, "it's impossible except if you do 1 thing"

Reviewing history i noticed there were always more solutions to a mission impossible..... It's only afterwards that people tend to see that..... That is why i never agree with something beïng impossible.

(erhmmmmm did anyone understand this jibberish? cause i seem to have lost track.. lol  )

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by lhunath on 06-05-2004 at 07:35 AM

quote:
I don't mean to disagree with you, but it's just me, when someone says something is impossible, i will always look for proof to show nothing is impossible ... lol....     

Even when someone says, "it's impossible except if you do 1 thing"

Reviewing history i noticed there were always more solutions to a mission impossible..... It's only afterwards that people tend to see that..... That is why i never agree with something beïng impossible.

(erhmmmmm did anyone understand this jibberish? cause i seem to have lost track.. lol  )
You are not alone.

.. em yeah. But did you conscidder the fact that in order to understand why it's impossible, you need alot more understanding of the protocol and what the Msn / Plus! API allow us to do with it ? There may just be too many limitations, and yes, it may be possible, if you start programming and editing Msn Messenger in ASM after decompiling it...
RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by Pure_BY on 06-05-2004 at 11:07 PM

Very very good idea, this is also something I miss a lot.

Althoutgh elliot's design looks very sweet, it's pretty undoable, I think, here is somethin' more realistic:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=258961]

Icon appeares when you send/recieve a file (or 3), and if you point to it, you see a balloon displayin' information about file transfer.

This is pretty doable, I'm sure. If Patchou could place the :plus2: icon, he can do the same for file fransfer, and reading percentage and kb/s must not be a big problem :)

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by Gergith on 07-31-2004 at 06:12 PM

heres an idea.. turning the event log - recent activity window into a tabbed window (upon the event of more then one tab)

and this would be a cetral place for some plugins with different features..

where plugins could creat a frame for that to be tabbed to

so then we could have a window like event logger (well the same one, just a different tab) to display it all

and have a bunch of sortable tabs, like most downloading apps, such as:

user, direction (up/down), average speed, current speed, peak speed, progress (bar, percent), remaining (time/bytes), total size, time stats (Start, time so far, estimated completion)

and it would turn into a sort of maniger, allowing downloads/uploads to sit in que (top to bottem que list i assume)

the ability to set downloads to start/request when users come online

if the ability to pause and resume downloads exists, this would be a PERFECT way to display them all from all users

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by The Napster on 07-31-2004 at 06:43 PM

Id love to see something like that, either way. Now we just need someone to code a plugin. And that sure aint gonna be me cuz i suck at programing :P

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by M73A on 07-31-2004 at 08:57 PM

there must b sumone out there who can do it. they seem to have bin able to loadsa fantastic stuff b4!

im confident that sum1 will come along and make dis, its obviously wanted by loadsa ppl!

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by lopardo on 08-01-2004 at 12:02 AM

Why do I feel this is never going to be implemented? :undecided:

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by Twan on 08-02-2004 at 08:12 PM

I'v send a email to the team of msn messenger to add this in the new version and they said they would talk about it but i don't feel like they will make it  :( but we ccan always hope for this function in a msn messenger 6.2 upgrade or something :S:S

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by Gergith on 08-02-2004 at 08:38 PM

i know someone has been working on using a different file transfer protocoll for resuming and things like that, so im sure implimenting the organization/interface side will be alot easier, then implimenting the new way to transfer files

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by tony on 08-02-2004 at 08:51 PM

that would be great! but.. what say patchou about it..?

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by Gergith on 08-02-2004 at 09:05 PM

well realistically the only thing patchou has to do is allow plugins to use a tabbed version of that window, otherwise plugin writers can simply write there own window

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by BEWARE^^ on 08-07-2004 at 07:09 PM

i hope it will work out what you are plannig to bring in msgplus 3 update and i hope also that it will be a great succes (Well i guess it will be a succes ):D keep on going thinking like that

RE: Filetransfer status in the chatwindow by MikeFairbrother on 08-21-2004 at 09:16 PM

ChronoGSM this is an excellent idea...I like it a lot..
I too find it annoying :P

I do believe that it will be possible. It will be a matter of creating the icon and telling the software when the cursor is hovering to show the details..then it will transfer the details from the top (Where-ever it's sending) and just copying that and putting it in a box...
I like both the image design's - they are very good...I like Pure_BY's a lot...it's descrete and easy to access...
On the other hand, I like elliot's idea - this is good but could get a little clogged and disturb you a fair bit if you are typing...but still, it's a good idea...

I hope Patcho implement's this...it's a great idea...