Shoutbox

Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar (/showthread.php?tid=26190)

Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by sparkymcg on 05-27-2004 at 07:57 PM

i came over this html its for a Favicon
what is a favicon?
A favicon is a tiny graphic that replaces the standard web page icon in your browser's Address bar. It also appears in the Favorites menu when your web site is bookmarked. (you might have seen this on mess.be suprnova.org and google)

a favicon needs to be 16x16 and saved with an .ico extension
heres the html

code:
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.website.com/images/myicon.ico">
Favicon.co.uk has a free online favicon editor and emails the finished icon to you
Chami.com's HTML Kit has a free tool which converts an image you've created with your own graphics program into a favicon

a thought this would be good for the msg plus website
RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by Kryptonate on 05-27-2004 at 08:12 PM

the msgplus website has got a favicon, you just can't see it in IE.

RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by Tochjo on 05-27-2004 at 08:13 PM

Both the forums and the main site already have FavIcons.

RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by bach_m on 05-27-2004 at 08:34 PM

iE just is really annoying about it. but Firefox (and opera, i think) show them

RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by lizard.boy on 05-27-2004 at 09:11 PM

safari shows them too :)

RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by RebelSean on 05-27-2004 at 09:13 PM

Why don't IE show them :-( darn it :'(

RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by Chrono on 05-27-2004 at 09:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
Why don't IE show them  darn it 
Cause it isnt supposed to be shown? :P
i dont see whats so annoying about it, the favicon, as its name says, its meant to be displayed when u save an url in ur favourites folder, bnot in the address bar :dodgy:
RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by KeyStorm on 05-27-2004 at 09:20 PM

Why not? It firstly was supposed to be stored as icon in the bookmarks, but afterwards icons appeared in toolbar and now there are even page tabs, so it makes sense that the definition is changed.

For backward-compatibility... it will stay "favicon" :refuck:

I love Favicons in tabs, btw :D

RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by WDZ on 05-28-2004 at 02:14 AM

The msgplus.net favicon doesn't show up for me in Opera... I think the site needs the <link> code added... :-/

RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by Tochjo on 05-28-2004 at 12:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
The msgplus.net favicon doesn't show up for me in Opera... I think the site needs the <link> code added... :-/
Hm... It doesn't show in Mozilla either.. Strange. Wasn't there something that only IE should display it properly, because of alpha transparency/shadow or something?
RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by CookieRevised on 05-28-2004 at 12:46 PM

IIRC, it's MSIE that can't handle alpha transparency...

Anyways:
In Netscape (although Mozilla based), all the icons appear nicely from the first time...
In MSIE, the favicon is only used for the bookmarks (like it was originaly designed for), so if you add the site, the icon is shown in the bookmarks, after that, if you load the page, the icon will also show in the addressbar.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=252405]

RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by RebelSean on 05-28-2004 at 12:48 PM

Wait, a few months back my Internet Explorer was showing Favicons in my adress bar....

RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by CookieRevised on 05-28-2004 at 12:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
Wait, a few months back my Internet Explorer was showing Favicons in my adress bar....
If you use a bookmark from MSIE, then MSIE will show the icon in the address bar, but that's only when the site called from the bookmarks...

After that, MSIE reconizes the site and will show the icon from then on... (even if you delete the site from the bookmarks again! This is a bug in MSIE...)

Furthermore, MSIE doesn't always reconize the favicon, even if you add the site to the bookmarks first. This is due a bug that MSIE doesn't handle some multiple format icons and transparency in them very well...

There is also something about <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico">: not all browser reconize this and will use this. Some browsers actually only look for the file "favicon.ico" in the root of the hompage, thus regardless of what you've defined inside your HTML. Thus to make sure your page is compatible with every browser (as far as reconizing favicon is concearned), save your icon as "favicon.ico" into the root of the homepage and use <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico"> between the head-tags in your homepage...

EDIT: some typos
RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by Guido on 05-28-2004 at 07:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Hm... It doesn't show in Mozilla either.. Strange. Wasn't there something that only IE should display it properly, because of alpha transparency/shadow or something?
No, actually, there was something that IE-based browsers didn't show it correctly because of transparency/shadow, but IE, Firefox, mozilla, Safari, whatever... should show it correctly.

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

Weird thing about Opera there, it's strange it doesn't look for favicon.ico. It's a browser bug :refuck: (I know it's not a standard, but it should be considered a bug).
RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by Millenium_edition on 05-28-2004 at 07:14 PM

Ie did it again. That's why 80% of internet users use ie.

RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by Kryptonate on 05-28-2004 at 07:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
it does shows in Firefox :o

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
Ie did it again. That's why 80% of internet users use ie.
wtf? that doesn't explain anything:p
RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by Millenium_edition on 05-28-2004 at 07:18 PM

lol i went too far i think :unsure:

RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by KeyStorm on 05-28-2004 at 07:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
lol i went too far i think :unsure:
Believe me, you don't want to start a new "my browser is the best"-discussion :P

But I have to say 80% of users are wrong :XP::D
RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by Kryptonate on 05-28-2004 at 07:36 PM

80% of the users know almost nothing about computers, that's the problem :rolleyes:

RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by Guido on 05-28-2004 at 07:43 PM

Even if IE was a great browser, it still would not be used for its features. It's used because it's the first most users see when learning about "the Internet". And that's ok. And offtopic, btw, so let's not get into a which browser's better thread :P

RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by dotNorma on 06-02-2004 at 04:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
Even if IE was a great browser, it still would not be used for its features. It's used because it's the first most users see when learning about "the Internet".

Yeppers (y). My freinds dont know there are other browsers. They dont know there are browsers. They just think IE is the internet :tongue:
RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by lizard.boy on 06-04-2004 at 02:29 AM

your friends are 11 :banana: :P

i have converted 2 of my friends to firefox, one on windows xp and one on osX and my moms work was switched for awhile but too many clients' wevsites only worked in ie :/

RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by lopardo on 06-04-2004 at 02:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
If you use a bookmark from MSIE, then MSIE will show the icon in the address bar, but that's only when the site called from the bookmarks...

After that, MSIE reconizes the site and will show the icon for then one... (even if you delete the site from the bookmarks again)

This is a bug in MSIE...

Does it happen if you clear the icon cache?
RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by illuzn on 06-04-2004 at 04:16 AM

Well i'm running Opera version 7.23 and i don't get a favicon showing up... is that because the link rel code isn't in the page...
also i thought that it could be put in as a meta tag?? can someone confirm or refute this

RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by RebelSean on 06-04-2004 at 04:32 AM

I have INTERNET Explorer and the yahoo and pogo.com favicon's are showing in my adress bar ;-)

RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by jren207 on 07-27-2004 at 11:35 PM

Another way to get the icon to work in IE is to go to:

File -> Send -> Shortcut to Desktop

A shortcut is made then the icon is downloaded and is used as the icon for the shortcut you made and when you double click it, the icon of that shortcut is shown in the title bar ;)

RE: Favicon in Your Browser's Address Bar by EvilSeph on 07-28-2004 at 06:24 AM

I'm using Opera and the favicon does show up.. You guys sure you have it enabled in prefs?