Shoutbox

is it possible to remove plus from startup? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: is it possible to remove plus from startup? (/showthread.php?tid=26204)

is it possible to remove plus from startup? by thrasher_maniac on 05-27-2004 at 10:57 PM

I have tried unchecking the option to have messenger plus automatically startup when computer loads, and have attempted taking plus out of my start up programs as well. the only times i manage to succesfully remove plus from startup, it uninstalls completely. It is always running in the backround even after I have exited out of my msn, and i would like to find a way to stop it from running when I am not using messenger. Is there any way I can do this?

RE: is it possible to remove plus from startup? by lopardo on 05-27-2004 at 11:31 PM

Why do you want to remove it from startup? It needs to be active in order to hook (M) correctly.

RE: is it possible to remove plus from startup? by lylesback2 on 05-27-2004 at 11:44 PM

start | run
type "msconfig"
and then go to Start up, and disable (1 or 2?) msgplus'... enjoy :P

RE: is it possible to remove plus from startup? by lopardo on 05-27-2004 at 11:47 PM

I thought :plus2: would reappear there later if you just delete that...

RE: is it possible to remove plus from startup? by Chrono on 05-27-2004 at 11:50 PM

how would it "reappear" :P
that works fine (Y)

Though u shouldnt really disable it from startup...

RE: is it possible to remove plus from startup? by WDZ on 05-28-2004 at 02:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
I thought :plus2: would reappear there later if you just delete that...
Only if you upgrade or re-install Plus. That's my experience anyway. :p
RE: is it possible to remove plus from startup? by CookieRevised on 05-28-2004 at 09:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lylesback2
start | run
type "msconfig"
and then go to Start up, and disable (1 or 2?) msgplus'... enjoy :P
Do NOT use MSConfig to delete something like that.... It will only temporarly be disabled and windows will use an alternative bootup-sequence.

To delete Plus! from startup go to the following keys in your registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
And find "MessengerPlus", and delete that entry...

Or take a look at this thread if your not confortable with regedit.exe.

But this isn't recommended! Because Plus! needs to be loaded before you startup Messenger. So if you delete those keys in your registry, then you need to startup Plus! manualy every time you want to use Messenger.
RE: is it possible to remove plus from startup? by thrasher_maniac on 05-28-2004 at 05:38 PM

I deleted the Plus key in my Registry under
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
Thanks Cookie. I had tried using "msconfig.exe" and it had stopped it from starting up, but i did not wish to always use the alternative start up sequence.  Works fine now, I just start up Plus before I open my MSN and Ctrl-Alt-Del "end task" Plus when I am done. Wish there was a simpler way to exit plus, but this works fine and Thanks for the help.

RE: is it possible to remove plus from startup? by Kryptonate on 05-28-2004 at 06:15 PM

what's wrong with MSCONFIG? ^o), you can check which programs to start up when you boot your computer. Untill now, the only program that persisted in starting itself up is Quicktime (damn, I hate the stubborness of that program :@)

RE: is it possible to remove plus from startup? by thrasher_maniac on 05-28-2004 at 06:24 PM

I didnt say anything was wrong with it, it did work and stopped Plus from loading on start up, it was just that everytime you start your computer a message pops up informing you that you are using an alternative start up sequence. I just preferred editting it out of the registry so that I could use my normal start up instead.

RE: is it possible to remove plus from startup? by Millenium_edition on 05-28-2004 at 06:26 PM

why not make a loader? that would be awesome. one that loads msgplus, then msn, and when msn is terminated it terminates msgplus :)

RE: is it possible to remove plus from startup? by Kryptonate on 05-28-2004 at 06:28 PM

I didn't say you said it was wrong :). I often change something in MSCONFIG and when I reboot I get that message too, but I only receive it once. There's nothing wrong with the alternative start up. In this start up you just choose what to start up at a boot and what not. Everything necessary for Windows will start up. In a normal start up everything is loaded (unless you delete the keys offcourse from the registry but most users don't know about that).

RE: RE: is it possible to remove plus from startup? by thrasher_maniac on 05-28-2004 at 06:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
why not make a loader? that would be awesome. one that loads msgplus, then msn, and when msn is terminated it terminates msgplus :)

This sounds like something that could be useful to me, but I do not know how to make a loader like that. Any suggestions as to how I would go about that...
RE: is it possible to remove plus from startup? by Kryptonate on 05-28-2004 at 06:42 PM

What's the problem with Plus! being in the start up folder? It's easy and doesn't use much space or memory at start up. If you would make a loader to terminate Plus! when MSN Messenger is being terminated the loader will be using memory too, so in that way you'll be using more memory than without the loader.

RE: is it possible to remove plus from startup? by Millenium_edition on 05-28-2004 at 06:45 PM

You got a point there. But not all loaders take memory :huh: ?

RE: is it possible to remove plus from startup? by Kryptonate on 05-28-2004 at 06:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
You got a point there. But not all loaders take memory :huh: ?
if it looks continuesly if MSN Messenger is still on than it takes memory yes.
RE: is it possible to remove plus from startup? by thrasher_maniac on 05-28-2004 at 07:04 PM

i understand all of this, but how do i make a loader to load and exit msn and plus both together?

RE: is it possible to remove plus from startup? by Millenium_edition on 05-28-2004 at 07:09 PM

well you can do it using visual basic... but as kryptonate said, it will take memory.

RE: is it possible to remove plus from startup? by CookieRevised on 05-28-2004 at 08:24 PM

In the past there are loaders made by various people. People who programmed for the first time, people who had good experience. Also, different kind of loaders; loaders which simple startup msgplus and messenger and then quit. Or loaders which poll the memory to check on the status of messenger, etc... etc...

I've tested them all... all failed at one point or another (memory usage, polygamy, switching between winmsgr/msnmsgr, starting up with things like jnrzloader, etc.. etc...)

The best thing you can do IMO is to make a small VBS script which loads plus!, waits a few seconds (2 secs is more then enough) and then starts messenger (or jnrzloader for that matter), and that's it, after that it quits. Then you can startup Messenger and Plus! together with 1 click....
(the small vbs script can be found also somewhere on this forum)

Note: that all this isn't recommended by Patchou and it is on your own risk! Plus! is meant to be started up at bootup... ;)

RE: is it possible to remove plus from startup? by giken on 06-01-2004 at 01:15 PM

the one by hah works fine here :)