Shoutbox

Translating insult easter egg - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Translation (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+----- Thread: Translating insult easter egg (/showthread.php?tid=26321)

Translating insult easter egg by Dung3onMast3r on 05-29-2004 at 06:58 PM

I've recently discovered the /insult easter egg (which is incredibly funny for those who had played Monkey Island). But as most of my contacts don't speak english, it is not as enjoyable as it could be. In coming versions of Messenger Plus, wouldn't it be a great feature to have this easter egg in our language? And moreover, shouldn't it stop being an easter egg?

RE: Translating insult easter egg by Guido on 05-29-2004 at 07:18 PM

I think Patchou has already decided not to translate this game... it's a bit of a mess to do so.

RE: Translating insult easter egg by CookieRevised on 05-29-2004 at 07:42 PM

Indeed, the strength of the game (also in Monkey Island) is the use of the English language as a means to rhyme and instead of swordfighting... If you're gonna translate that, much will be lost...
And afterall, it is based upon an English game and it is 'only' an easter-egg, so... ;)

RE: Translating insult easter egg by inodez on 05-29-2004 at 08:42 PM

:^) It's too bad

RE: Translating insult easter egg by Dung3onMast3r on 05-29-2004 at 11:35 PM

Then I'll have to start thinking about making it by myself as a plugin :P. But I don't agree that much will be lost, as the original game was translated and worked fine.
Anyway, thank you very much for that info :)

RE: Translating insult easter egg by Sovjohn on 05-30-2004 at 12:00 AM

I think that translating it to each language using slightly (or not so slightly) different words compared to the English language would be much better!
I'd like to do it, for one...And it'd certainly rule if the tranlators have enough imagination!

RE: Translating insult easter egg by CookieRevised on 05-30-2004 at 03:45 AM

Many people complained when Monkey Island was translated because it lost many good jokes. It's the same as subtitling some humoristic programs. You can add a joke again by translation, but you'll never catch the original true humor that was in it and intended.

RE: Translating insult easter egg by RebelSean on 05-30-2004 at 03:56 AM

Wth??????????????I was just playing with the /insult and the freakin word fight thing came up...And I ran outa time..How I get it back?????????

RE: Translating insult easter egg by marissa on 05-30-2004 at 05:43 AM

type /insult again, it'll give a reply and then your contact will go and the list will come up again

RE: Translating insult easter egg by Dung3onMast3r on 05-30-2004 at 08:48 AM

If you run out of time and the window closes, there is no way of re-opening that window, you've lost! :D
You can start a new duel typing /insult again.