Shoutbox

Automatically signing out of messenger but signing me in! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Automatically signing out of messenger but signing me in! (/showthread.php?tid=26326)

Automatically signing out of messenger but signing me in! by Melody on 05-29-2004 at 07:39 PM

I have had my status as appear offline today and four times throughout the day msn has closed and said that I have signed in elsewhere.  But one of my contacts has then sent me a message as it appears that I have just signed in.    I cannot see my status or contacts as msn has closed and I can only see the 'sign in' again window.  I had to sign in again to then change my status to appear offline.

I am running messenger 6.2 and last week updated to Plus 3.  I am running windows xp and have msn on two user accounts, both are administrators.

This has never happened before and I am wondering whether it is something to do with Plus 3 or whether someone has somehow got past my password. Has anyone else had a similar experience.

RE: Automatically signing out of messenger but signing me in! by Fraisie on 05-29-2004 at 07:44 PM

I dont think Messenger Plus! has something to do with this... But check out if you dont have Windows Messenger running without you signing it, and you would be logging on Windows Messenger...I had that problem a while ago, before I realised  my Windows Messenger was running in the bagkground :/ silly me :/ lol

RE: Automatically signing out of messenger but signing me in! by Sunshine on 05-29-2004 at 07:44 PM

Yep, sure sounds like somebody got ur password. Change it and see if it happens again ;)

Edit: or what Fraisie said :), check that first. To disable windows messenger from runnin: Start > configurationscreen > systemmanagement > services (local) ... look for messenger and disable it (this is how it's done in WinXP).

RE: Automatically signing out of messenger but signing me in! by Melody on 05-29-2004 at 07:54 PM

Thanks for those suggestions.  If someone really has managed to get my password though how can my contacts still manage to send me an instant message?  but will try Fraisie's suggestion.

RE: RE: Automatically signing out of messenger but signing me in! by Sunshine on 05-29-2004 at 08:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Melody
Thanks for those suggestions.  If someone really has managed to get my password though how can my contacts still manage to send me an instant message?  but will try Fraisie's suggestion.

Good point there, if ur MSN messenger is off u must have gotten those messages thru windows messenger (guess i wasn't reading ur post well enough, spank me! :P ) Anyways it's always a good idea to change ur password every now and then...u know, just in case ;)
RE: RE: RE: Automatically signing out of messenger but signing me in! by Lost_Soul on 05-29-2004 at 08:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
quote:
Originally posted by Melody

Good point there, if ur MSN messenger is off u must have gotten those messages thru windows messenger (guess i wasn't reading ur post well enough, spank me! :P ) Anyways it's always a good idea to change ur password every now and then...u know, just in case ;)

Don't forget to change your often overlooked 'secret question and answer' too. All to often I hear of people losing their accounts after a broken friendship, when the former friend knows your 'Mothers Madien name' or one of the typical secret questions.
RE: Automatically signing out of messenger but signing me in! by Melody on 05-30-2004 at 11:03 AM

Many thanks for all your help.  It was a very old version of messenger running which must have been re-activated.  I was able to switch it off when it happened again, although I don't seem to be able to find the original program to uninstall it.