Shoutbox

Forum Alerts - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Forum Alerts (/showthread.php?tid=26556)

Forum Alerts by rimmer on 06-02-2004 at 09:42 AM

Not sure if i should post here or in 'MsgPlus General Talk' as it would involve changes to both.

My idea is that instead of recieving an email to notify you of new posts in subscribed threads a MsgPlus Toast message could be sent to you. This would work like alerts do in messenger. 

RE: Forum Alerts by Choli on 06-02-2004 at 11:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rimmer
a MsgPlus Toast message could be sent to you.
MsgPlus toasts can't be "sent" :P

Why don't you configure plus to check your emails. When you receive a notification from the forums, plus will display the toast with "X unread mails" ;)

But if you want it more perfect, then that should be done with a plugin that checks you email account and detects the messages with "New Reply to..." in the subject and then show the toast.
RE: Forum Alerts by WDZ on 06-02-2004 at 04:33 PM

It would probably be easier to make a plug-in that reads an XML feed from the forum server, wouldn't it? :-/

I know this was discussed before, but I can't find the thread... :dodgy: It's a cool idea, having toasts for forum notifications... (y)

RE: Forum Alerts by Choli on 06-02-2004 at 04:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
It would probably be easier to make a plug-in that reads an XML feed from the forum server, wouldn't it?
yes, but it'd easier for the programmer. you should do that xml :P
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I know this was discussed before, but I can't find the thread...  It's a cool idea, having toasts for forum notifications...
in fact the idea isn't bad, however I'd continue with the email notifications, i think :-/
RE: Forum Alerts by MC Inferno on 06-02-2004 at 05:04 PM

I do like the idea. I stick to the tradiashonal, check back every do often myself, but it is very nice :D

RE: Forum Alerts by RebelSean on 06-02-2004 at 05:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rimmer
Not sure if i should post here or in 'MsgPlus General Talk' as it would involve changes to both.

My idea is that instead of recieving an email to notify you of new posts in subscribed threads a MsgPlus Toast message could be sent to you. This would work like alerts do in messenger.

That would awesome couse I get over average about 20-90 emails a day (depending if I post alot) with replys..

RE: Forum Alerts by surfichris on 06-03-2004 at 12:10 PM

I begun working on a thing similar to this a while ago, although it will require a "daemon" server program to be running in the background on the server which will allow users to login and will then contact them for the alerts.

RE: Forum Alerts by Choli on 06-03-2004 at 02:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
I begun working on a thing similar to this a while ago, although it will require a "daemon" server program to be running in the background on the server which will allow users to login and will then contact them for the alerts.
couldn't the daemon be replaced by a PHP script that would retun a list of threads with new posts?
RE: Forum Alerts by surfichris on 06-03-2004 at 10:17 PM

Yes but that means querying the server every 5 minutes or so.. this way the daemon only sends out notifications when there are replies and will send them in real time.. And you only really want it to send one at a time.. Imagine if you hadnt visited the forums in 20 days, opened up the client program and were flooded with thousands of alerts :-s

The daemon is also alot faster than the PHP script... but the daemon is actually written in PHP itself :o

RE: Forum Alerts by Choli on 06-03-2004 at 10:33 PM

quote:
way the daemon only sends out notifications when there are replies and will send them in real time..
I understand... but in the client side there should be an always opened connection with the daemon...
quote:
And you only really want it to send one at a time.. Imagine if you hadnt visited the forums in 20 days, opened up the client program and were flooded with thousands of alerts
the daemon should send one alert per each thread with new post, even if the client only displays one alert (and can be configurable to detail which threads have new replies)
quote:
The daemon is also alot faster than the PHP script... but the daemon is actually written in PHP itself
:O!!

and how can a daemon run (in lunux i suppose) if it's written in php?
RE: Forum Alerts by surfichris on 06-04-2004 at 02:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
I understand... but in the client side there should be an always opened connection with the daemon...
Blah, I didn't explain myself well enough there. It does always have an open connection with the server.

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
and how can a daemon run (in lunux i suppose) if it's written in php?
There are PHP functions and stuff which allow you to do this.. to setup sockets and stuff...
RE: Forum Alerts by rimmer on 06-04-2004 at 03:10 PM

This Tech talk is beyond me. But i hope in the future this can happen. Thanks for taking it into consideration.