Shoutbox

uninstall plus in windows98 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: uninstall plus in windows98 (/showthread.php?tid=26565)

uninstall plus in windows98 by filipe on 06-02-2004 at 01:50 PM

please,

i need to get rid of the adds. but i installed the messenger plus on a machine running on win 98.
how do i desinstall it?

RE: uninstall plus in windows98 by matty on 06-02-2004 at 01:54 PM

Please use the search feature on the board.

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598

RE: uninstall plus in windows98 by RebelSean on 06-02-2004 at 01:54 PM

go to start the settings the control panel find add remove programs then find Messenger Plus and uninstall it.......Then re-install it and DO NOT accept the sponser to install on your machine.... Hope this helps :D

RE: uninstall plus in windows98 by filipe on 06-02-2004 at 01:59 PM

thanks,
but it doesn´t help. i'ved searched the forum a lot. in the add/remove programs in win98 doesn´t appear the messenger plus. as well in the directory in program files it does not have the uninstall icon.
do you have other suggestions?

RE: uninstall plus in windows98 by Anubis on 06-02-2004 at 02:00 PM

Hi Filipe,

It seems while installing Messenger Plus! you have installed the sponsor program by mistake: you selected I ACCEPT, install the sponsor in the installation program. Please note this is not spyware it's simply a small search bar for Internet Explorer so Patchou (the creator of Messenger Plus!)  so he can make a living off it...

If before doing the below you have attempted to remove the sponsor program by any other method, like spyware and adware removal tools, messed around in the registry or tried to delete files you must install Messenger Plus! again with the sponsor program before doing this...

To uninstall it go to Add/Remove Programs in the control panel and double click on "Messenger Plus!" (or click on Remove). Then "Messenger Plus! - Setup" is displayed.
Click on the Uninstall button. after a couple of seconds, the program will ask you if you want to keep your preferences, it is suggested to say "Yes".
Then you'll be asked to type in the number displayed in the box then click Uninstall.
Now you must click Yes when asked to confirm the uninstall...If you're asked to close Internet explorer or any program do so. Now restart your computer and the sponsor program will be gone.

RE: uninstall plus in windows98 by filipe on 06-02-2004 at 02:04 PM

thank you anubis,

but if you read my post above yours i explained that i do not have those options on win 98. it is not on the add/remove programs icon.

do you know an alternative?

RE: uninstall plus in windows98 by Anubis on 06-02-2004 at 02:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by filipe
but if you read my post above yours i explained that i do not have those options on win 98. it is not on the add/remove programs icon
In all Windows versions Messenger Plus! should appear on the add/remove programs window...make sure by carefully going through the list...are you using Messenger Plus! 3?
RE: uninstall plus in windows98 by filipe on 06-02-2004 at 02:21 PM

yes,
i´m using meesenger plus 3 and microsoft messenger 6.1.
and it's not on the list.
is there another way, for insttance in the run comand?

RE: uninstall plus in windows98 by Fraisie on 06-02-2004 at 02:24 PM

So if I read correctly, Messenger Plus! is not listed in your Add/Remove Programs window. I would try reinstalling Plus! to see if its in there afterwards...

RE: uninstall plus in windows98 by filipe on 06-02-2004 at 02:25 PM

thanx,

allready did it 3 times.
and still nothing.

This a windows 95/98 non compliant program and doesn´t apear in the add/remove programs menu

RE: uninstall plus in windows98 by matty on 06-02-2004 at 03:52 PM

Try this, extract the file to your messenger plus! directory
(C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus!3)

It will run the exe with the uninstall commandline switch and activate the uninstaller.

If you cannot unzip the application download either

Winzip or WinRAR

and then extract the file to your messenger plus directory.

(If you use winzip and just double click the winzip folder it will extract the file to C:\Unzipped\uninstall, you will need to manually copy the file to the location you have installed Messenger Plu!3 to.

RE: uninstall plus in windows98 by filipe on 06-02-2004 at 04:14 PM

thanx,

do mean just run the uninstall.exe? i did and doesn´t work. says that the msgplus/uninstall is not available.

or i missunderstood and there's another procedure?

thank you for your reply

RE: uninstall plus in windows98 by Anubis on 06-02-2004 at 04:38 PM

quote:
i did and doesn´t work. says that the msgplus/uninstall is not available.
The file uninstall.bat (the file inside the .zip) must be placed in C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus!3 then open the .uninstall.bat that is in C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus!3
RE: RE: uninstall plus in windows98 by filipe on 06-02-2004 at 04:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
quote:
i did and doesn´t work. says that the msgplus/uninstall is not available.
The file uninstall.bat (the file inside the .zip) must be placed in C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus!3 then open the .uninstall.bat that is in C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus!3

i had allready done that and on the ms-dos window that appears i get the message "msgplus/uninstall (or one of its components) is not available. check the path and file name...."

maybe i need another file, probably a uninstall.dat   ?  because there is setup.dat in thedirectory

i've tried this before and after a reinstalled the program

RE: uninstall plus in windows98 by Patchou on 06-02-2004 at 05:30 PM

Did you check if you have a "Messenger Plus!\Uninstall" shortcut in your start menu? this could happen if Messenger Plus! was installed with limited priviledges.

RE: RE: uninstall plus in windows98 by filipe on 06-02-2004 at 05:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Did you check if you have a "Messenger Plus!\Uninstall" shortcut in your start menu? this could happen if Messenger Plus! was installed with limited priviledges.

i don't have even a "messenger plus" shortcut/directory in my taskbar. and i've reinstalled a few times
RE: uninstall plus in windows98 by matty on 06-02-2004 at 11:18 PM

Here you can try this file, just run it and it should open up the uninstaller for messenger plus! :)

RE: uninstall plus in windows98 by filipe on 06-03-2004 at 08:35 AM

IT's done!!!!!

thank you all for the help!!!!

RE: uninstall plus in windows98 by matty on 06-03-2004 at 11:45 AM

quote:
IT's done!!!!!

thank you all for the help!!!!
Now with that fixed, is the issue you were having with the sponsor program finished as well?