Shoutbox

What firewall do you use? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: What firewall do you use? (/showthread.php?tid=26687)

What firewall do you use? by rich0 on 06-04-2004 at 06:39 AM

If you use a firewall, what type? And why?

To kick things off, i use NOTHING:^) atm. (I'd like to know what's recommended).

RE: What firewall do you use? by Weyzza on 06-04-2004 at 06:43 AM

ZoneAlarm is the best.
Why? Because it is recommended by many users and I know it is good.

RE: What firewall do you use? by rich0 on 06-04-2004 at 06:50 AM

Thx for that, unfortunately the latest version conflicts with my antivirus (something to do with LSP technology)...so i uninstalled ZA :(

Anyone use something different?

RE: What firewall do you use? by Weyzza on 06-04-2004 at 06:59 AM

In my local computer magazine, they recommend Tiny Personal Software http://www.tinysoftware.com
I've never heard it before.
Maybe you can test it? ;)

RE: What firewall do you use? by Eljay on 06-04-2004 at 07:02 AM

well i use norton because its simply the best!:D

EDIT but if you are looking for a free firewall look no further than sygate

RE: What firewall do you use? by Anubis on 06-04-2004 at 08:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thekid
ZoneAlarm is the best.
Actually I totally disagree now, at one time I would have accepted that but I heard of some people who can hack through it with Telnet somehow...
I'd advise using McAfee Personal Firewall Plus!

RE: What firewall do you use? by Eljay on 06-04-2004 at 08:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis

I'd advise using McAfee Personal Firewall Plus!
Well i wouldnt because Mcafee Firewall (I dont know if this was just me though) was very annoying when i had it and i used to get security warnings every 5 minutes and every time windows started up.
Not good (N)
I would choose Norton (or Sygate if you need a free one(Y)) over Mcafee any day

RE: What firewall do you use? by Anubis on 06-04-2004 at 08:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by leejeffery
Well i wouldnt because Mcafee Firewall (I dont know if this was just me though) was very annoying when i had it and i used to get security warnings every 5 minutes and every time windows started up.Not good
McAfee personal Firewall Plus! isn't the same program as McAfee Firewall...and the only warnings I've ever had is for the usual first few days when it asks you if you want certain programs to access the internet...
RE: What firewall do you use? by Eljay on 06-04-2004 at 09:04 AM

I remember now that when this hapened my computer was infested with spyware and it was something called belt.ini and it changed the filename of itself every time windows started so maybe that was why
But i would still choose Norton [Image: many.gif] or http://soho.sygate.com/buy/download_buy.htm

RE: RE: What firewall do you use? by rich0 on 06-04-2004 at 09:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
McAfee personal Firewall Plus! isn't the same program as McAfee Firewall...and the only warnings I've ever had is for the usual first few days when it asks you if you want certain programs to access the internet...

Might try and find McAfee plus (Y)

@ thekid - tried TinyPF and its a resource hog :( don't download it hehe
RE: What firewall do you use? by Wabz on 06-04-2004 at 10:13 AM

Hardware Firewalls are best :D

Or just use something simple like Zonealarm to keep the little nastys out

RE: What firewall do you use? by RebelSean on 06-04-2004 at 02:21 PM

NoNoNoNo... Zone Alarm pro is the best :D

RE: What firewall do you use? by saralk on 06-04-2004 at 02:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by leejeffery
well i use norton because its simply the best!:D

EDIT but if you are looking for a free firewall look no further than sygate

i had norton firewall and i hated it. It was really hard to configure everything, and unlike zone alarm, u cant see wots accessing the internet at one time. Wich is v annoying

i use panda though
RE: What firewall do you use? by Stigmata on 06-04-2004 at 02:42 PM

i made my own :)

RE: RE: What firewall do you use? by rimmer on 06-04-2004 at 03:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
Hardware Firewalls are best :D

Cant agree more. Have a hardware firewall on my router and then as backup have sygate running on the 3 computers.
RE: What firewall do you use? by (V)oribundenVampir on 06-04-2004 at 03:37 PM

A few years ago I used Norton Personal Firewall... I have to admit that, at least, the old versions didn't give much detail about internet access. Later, I started to use ZA, it was good. Offered more details than Norton's, and I would say it was more customizable (I repeat, I speak only for the old versions of Norton's). Later, as I use Overnet, I switched to Kerio's, since I noticed some kind of slow speeds on my eDonkey client. So right now I am using Kerio, but I hope I could go back to ZA. Though many people in a few forums agree that ZA is not worth the try. I like ZA very much, they have very good products (browse their website). Kerio's is a good one too. I never tried Sygate or that... Tiny-whatever-it-is-called...

I also read that the latest build of ZA has a lot of issues, which ZoneLabs know, of course, and may be working on a fix release soon.

RE: What firewall do you use? by Millenium_edition on 06-04-2004 at 05:45 PM

norton, mcafee, whatever, i hope you get hacked!

use zonealarm, and personally i use a hardware firewall... which is tha sh*t :D (it's great ;) )

RE: What firewall do you use? by Hah on 06-04-2004 at 05:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jackass_wanabe
i made my own :)

Same (external connections only in vb :))...wow my friends are right...i am sad! (no offence to u ofcourse jw just myself).

Apart from that my router is great at blocking the buggers, no ones got past it on medium security, neither can the scanning websites, cant ask for much more than that.

If your opting for free professional software, both Zonealarm and sygate are excellent options, although zonealarm does seem to take everything over tbh.

Tah,

Hah

RE: What firewall do you use? by musicalmidget on 06-04-2004 at 06:16 PM

I've used both Norton AntiVirus and Zone Alarm before.  I like both, but currently I'm only using Norton.  I had to remove Zone Alarm a few weeks back and never got around to reinstalling it. :p

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
norton, mcafee, whatever, i hope you get hacked!

Gee, thanks.  Same to you. :rolleyes:
RE: What firewall do you use? by Jeronimo on 06-04-2004 at 06:26 PM

I tried ZoneAlarm, but didn't really like it. Then I was recommended Agnitum Outpost by someone at work, and I've never looked back.

Great bit of software, and uses the least amount of resources of all the software firewalls I remember reading :)

Though a good hardware firewall is always recommended (y)

RE: What firewall do you use? by lopardo on 06-04-2004 at 06:50 PM

I'm using Windows Internet Connection Firewall and it works fine... :)

RE: What firewall do you use? by saralk on 06-04-2004 at 06:55 PM

i use a hardware firewall too, they are pretty good.

RE: What firewall do you use? by Guido on 06-04-2004 at 06:56 PM

I haven't used any for almost a year :P

but I've used Norton PF before.

RE: What firewall do you use? by Millenium_edition on 06-04-2004 at 07:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
I'm using Windows Internet Connection Firewall and it works fine...
LOL i bet a hacker wrote that :p

and I didn't mean Norton ANTIVIRUS, but norton/mcafee PERSONAL/ENTREPRISE FIREWALL
RE: What firewall do you use? by saralk on 06-04-2004 at 07:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
I'm using Windows Internet Connection Firewall and it works fine... :)

yeah but windows worked fine... with all of the security flaws.

windows firewall is like one of the worst firewalls possible
RE: What firewall do you use? by bach_m on 06-04-2004 at 07:46 PM

linksys router

RE: What firewall do you use? by paperless on 06-04-2004 at 07:51 PM

I us eblackice ffirewall coz i use it i odnt know f it works,well i jsut know i use it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY
:lol:

RE: What firewall do you use? by EvilSeph on 06-04-2004 at 07:58 PM

I prefer Internet Security Suites. Everything in one package like Zone Labs Security Suite and Norton Internet Security and Mcafee Security Suite/Internet Security (unsure of the name right now). Right now I'm looking for an alternative security suite because I hate installing 2 or more products from the same security vendor and they aren't integrated =\.

RE: What firewall do you use? by lopardo on 06-04-2004 at 08:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
yeah but windows worked fine... with all of the security flaws.

windows firewall is like one of the worst firewalls possible

Huh? Why do you say that? Do you have any proof? ICF is a basic firewall but does its joob pretty darn well... I haven't been infected with Blaster or Sasser thanks to ICF (sometimes I'm not up to date with patches because it takes time to download them with my modem)...
RE: What firewall do you use? by EvilSeph on 06-04-2004 at 08:40 PM

http://www.agnitum.com/php_scripts/compare2.php

go there for an unbiased comparison :rolleyes:

RE: What firewall do you use? by jren207 on 06-04-2004 at 08:51 PM

For me I use Norton Personal Firewall. It's good lol. It has a thing that restricts private info. Also protects against computers withina network and allows you to allow access. It integrates with Norton Anti-Virus which I also have ;) Also has good logs and ask you what you want to permit internet access to (You can switch this off)

2003 though :O must get 2004

RE: What firewall do you use? by Smeagol on 06-05-2004 at 03:16 AM

pfff... Sygate Personal Firewall. I've had no problems with it.

RE: What firewall do you use? by Batiu-Drami on 06-05-2004 at 03:31 AM

I use Sygate Personal Firewall beside Norton Antivirus 2003.  Nothing gets through it.  Probably also helps that I almost always use Firefox, too.

The link to the Unibased site seemed to still be advertising Outpost firewall, though.

RE: What firewall do you use? by EvilSeph on 06-05-2004 at 03:34 AM

Please note the dripping sarcasm in my post about an "unbiased" site ;).

RE: What firewall do you use? by Garndell on 06-05-2004 at 08:23 AM

EZ Armor

ZoneAlarm is flawed.  You will be open to attacks with it.

RE: What firewall do you use? by Maniac on 07-18-2004 at 07:01 PM

I didn't want to make a whole new thread about this so sorry for bringing this back up.

I've read in various places that the latest ZA firewall is full of bugs and stuff and have come to the conclusion that i need to change it. Now, the first option that came to my mind was to use norton, but i read somewhere that it uses too much memory and norton AV already slows me down a lot.... so basically i want to change both my antivirus and firewall.... so Norton Internet Security (would do the job but slowly) or something else? (I would like one program that i install and would take care of everything....)

RE: What firewall do you use? by Garndell on 07-18-2004 at 08:46 PM

McAffee or whatever it's called does a similar package.

RE: What firewall do you use? by EvilSeph on 07-18-2004 at 10:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
EZ Armor

ZoneAlarm is flawed.  You will be open to attacks with it.

How so? nothings got through ZoneLabs Security Suite as of yet. No packets, no viruses, nothing.
RE: What firewall do you use? by Maniac on 07-18-2004 at 10:27 PM

Well i've read LOTS of articles about how ZoneAlarm 5 is full of bugs and potential securtiy threats or whatever...

Is McAfee reasonable in terms of memory usage?

RE: What firewall do you use? by Millenium_edition on 07-18-2004 at 10:34 PM

mcafee is like norton, they try to make a decent firewall, but they've got as many security flaws as zonealarm, if not even more =/

i've had NPF for years... and trust me, it didn't stop apps from accessing the internet

RE: What firewall do you use? by Garndell on 07-18-2004 at 11:18 PM

McAfee Virus scanner wiped my WinSock2 files in a bootup scan, as such I do not trust them to make anything I want to use.

Norton, had it for 6 months but was getting tired of it slowing down my PC.

ZoneAlarm, one of my mates managed to circumvent it very easily so I won't trust it.

Kerio, several of my Operation Flashpoint clanmates use it.

EZ Armor, not caused me any problems at all.

RE: What firewall do you use? by EvilSeph on 07-18-2004 at 11:20 PM

Norton, Mcafee and ZoneLabs' effectiveness are all based on how well you can configure a firewall, NOTHING has gotten through any of these firewalls for me.

Flawed? Bugs? where?

RE: What firewall do you use? by Chestah on 07-18-2004 at 11:59 PM

I've used Norton Internet Security Professional 2004 and it works perfectly! haven't got a single virus let alone anyone one hack me, YES it does stop applications from accessing the net internally and externally! But i got a router yesterday which has hardware firewall protection :P so now i have hardware and software protection :) <- the way to go :P

RE: What firewall do you use? by matty on 07-19-2004 at 01:24 AM

I use my Linksys Wireless Router. Hardware firewall is better then a software firewall anyday!

RE: What firewall do you use? by kingboy on 07-19-2004 at 02:09 AM

i say there is nothin wrong with the firewall in XP. I use it, i havnt had any problems. basicly  a firewall is there for one reason, stop people from gettin in your computer. The firewall in XP does that. And, in SP2, itll be even better. so i dont feel like having a buggy ZA, or a resource hog(norton). ill stick with the one in XP:)

RE: What firewall do you use? by Maniac on 07-19-2004 at 02:41 AM

How do we set up the XP firewall? I just got rid of Norton AV, i've lived for 10ish years without an  AV i can do without... but now i want to get rid of ZA too, i prefer freeing memory :)

RE: What firewall do you use? by Guido on 07-19-2004 at 03:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ningc_Maniac
How do we set up the XP firewall? I just got rid of Norton AV, i've lived for 10ish years without an  AV i can do without... but now i want to get rid of ZA too, i prefer freeing memory :)
You turn it on by going to your network connections (control panel), right click connection, properties, last tab, tick the firewall box. You can't really set much up until SP2

RE: What firewall do you use? by Maniac on 07-19-2004 at 03:38 AM

I see... well i guess i'll keep ZoneAlarm Pro until SP2 comes out.... when should that be? (I know a beta was released.... right?)

RE: What firewall do you use? by lopardo on 07-19-2004 at 04:19 AM

August or Semptember, I don't recall, sorry. Yes, it's now in beta (RC2).

RE: What firewall do you use? by EvilSeph on 07-19-2004 at 04:35 AM

ZoneLabs is SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH better than EZ Armor, in my honest opinion it's a complete failure as a ripoff (no research has been done on my part), I installed it and straight away saw it was a ZoneLabs clone.

Zone Alarm Security Suite also provides better functionality, stability and security. Not to mention more features than EZ Armor.

I'm sticking with ZoneLabs and this time, I won't let anyone change my mind >_<.

RE: What firewall do you use? by sasquatch on 07-19-2004 at 05:07 AM

my router has a hardware firewall installed, and i also run zonealarm one my laptop and norton on my PC. i find them both bout the same, dun think ppl can get past the hardware in the first place tho, so i reli dunno, all i care about is that my comp is safe from all u 1337 h4x0|2z out there :P

RE: What firewall do you use? by Pyroteq on 07-19-2004 at 07:55 AM

im using EZ Firewall, ive had no problems...it even noticed my msn had changed its info when i changed lvback.gif (the messenger background)