Shoutbox

What programming languages do you know??? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: What programming languages do you know??? (/showthread.php?tid=26728)

What programming languages do you know??? by crank on 06-04-2004 at 07:29 PM

I've just been wondering what program languages are used most...
don't know if this has been asked before.
So... what languages do you use???

I am pretty good in C and I have some knowledge of C++

RE: What programming languages do you know??? by Anubis on 06-04-2004 at 07:31 PM

er...VB...that's it :'(

RE: What programming languages do you know??? by WDZ on 06-04-2004 at 07:39 PM

PHP is my specialty. :p

I'm pretty good with (X)HTML and MySQL, because they're usually so closely integrated with PHP. I know basic JavaScript and C++ too. There are other languages I've used, but I don't have very good knowledge of them, and I'm too lazy to list them.

* WDZ really should continue learning C++... maybe make some useless MsgPlus! plug-ins... :-/

RE: What programming languages do you know??? by KeyStorm on 06-04-2004 at 07:42 PM

Same as WDZ, but put VB instead of C++ :P
But the first one I learned was... Pascal :banana:
* KeyStorm remembers his first poker game in pascal without knowing about arrays :grin:

RE: What programming languages do you know??? by Hah on 06-04-2004 at 07:46 PM

Quite fluent in VB now (its easy as pie :)) can do a few things in c++ and c and am starting to look into DTML (javascript (seems easy enough :P ^o)) + css + html) and all seems to be going well.

Off topic: I have to say I feal learning VB made it so much harder for me to learn C++ because im so lazy and just go back to what i know. So if you want to learn how to programme, do not use VB first if your like me!

Edit:

omg, i remember making programs in pascal now!!! oh and BASIC (wow that was a take the piss language wasnt it!).

cant remember the syntax of pascal though:

program hello;
begin
    writeln('Hello Cruel World!');
end.

that right??

Tah,

Hah

RE: What programming languages do you know??? by Sk3tch on 06-04-2004 at 07:52 PM

Erm...  does html count? :lol:

I know vb... and i know very little C.. and i want to learn C++ :P

Nothing Special :-/

quote:
Originally posted by çr@nK
I've just been wondering what program languages are used most...
I would say VB :P
RE: What programming languages do you know??? by bach_m on 06-04-2004 at 07:58 PM

PHP, html, if that counts, and a bit of SQL. but i do web stuff, so thats understood ;)

RE: What programming languages do you know??? by KeyStorm on 06-04-2004 at 08:00 PM

MySQL is rather a protocol language than a programming language. (like if you said "I can write HTTP or POP")
HTML is a format language.

RE: What programming languages do you know??? by Millenium_edition on 06-04-2004 at 08:01 PM

* Millenium_edition knows only vb :(

RE: What programming languages do you know??? by Choli on 06-04-2004 at 11:22 PM

well, I can program very well in VB and C. I can also program in VC++ and Java. I used to program in Javascript and now I only remember the basics. I know a bit of PHP too.

My first language was the one used by a Texas Instrument calculator, very similar to Basic.

I've also used SQL and HTML hoever they are not programming languages, as KeyStorm has just said. (CSS isn't a programming language either)

I programmed in QBasic (and enhanced the nibbles game (sample of microsoft) to play 3 people at the same time, and an extra worm controlled by the computer, with easter eggs and bonus screens, apart from new levels)
* Choli remembers playing that at the uni :) good days...
I still have the code somehere.

I've also programmed in Pascal, Ada, PowerBuilder, Asm (for x86 and for MIPS R2000), Tck/tl and turboC (for msdos).

Other languages I have programmed are AHDL and VHDL, used to describe the hardware (connections, resistors, etc...) placed in a board (Hardware Description Language). They're a mix between a programming language and a description syntax specification.

I've also made scripts for MSDOS (BATs) and scripts for the shell of linux. However they aren't properly programming languages.

I've programmed in Mathematica (it has his own language), a program to do math calculs (<-english word?) and much more. The same in Matlab.

I think I don't forget any language..:P :refuck:

quote:
Originally posted by Hah
writeln('Hello Cruel World!');
isn't it with doubel quotes?
writeln("Hello Cruel World!");

quote:
Originally posted by Hah
Off topic: I have to say I feal learning VB made it so much harder for me to learn C++ because im so lazy and just go back to what i know. So if you want to learn how to programme, do not use VB first if your like me!
I don't agree with that. Reasons: in other threads, this is offtipoc here :P
RE: What programming languages do you know??? by matty on 06-04-2004 at 11:57 PM

Visual Basic Woot Woot!, Javascript, and ASP, very little PHP but I dont really have the time

RE: What programming languages do you know??? by jpg050 on 06-04-2004 at 11:58 PM

Started back in 1989 to program BASIC in a Spectrum+ :') then in an Amstrad... made lotta good games back then. Then I went into QBasic, only that the one I modified was the gorilla one... xD, also learnt Logo (No comments) and Pascal, C, C++, VB, VB.NET, Java, PHP (ASP, JSP, whateveritisScript and so on), Eiffel... Prefer Java anyway... if only it had a VB-like way to manipulate events and build GUIs... snif. I did some ASM in a 8085, now doing for 80x86 xD. And my beloved matlab, which joint with derive gave me the worst days of my univ life... 

Now learning SQL, DataBase connection and network protocols to use in C VB and Java, some 3D modelling and Flash ActionScript...  somedays I end putting a 'for i=1 to 10 step 2' in a c program and stand for hours thinking about the compiler's momsy because I can't just find about my language mixture...

What I lack most is the definive idea for a program... my univ project is about an internet-scale network manager (Skynet)... which has turned out into a serious hacking machine...  (maybe she has become aware of her potential ? :S)

RE: What programming languages do you know??? by ipab on 06-05-2004 at 12:01 AM

(Y)im starting to learn vb 6 :$, o an i kno logo (H)

RE: What programming languages do you know??? by Hah on 06-05-2004 at 12:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
isn't it with doubel quotes?
writeln("Hello Cruel World!");

Lol, dunno cant remember tbh.

Also i take back the comment on not learning vb, i guess in a way it did teach me some fundementals..but it hides so much away from the programmer! Eperimenting with ASM and c were the only times I really felt like I was controlling what the processor was doing and I feal thats important in programming. I just dont feal form1.show has the same appeal as registerclass, createwindow, createwindowex and showwindow.
RE: What programming languages do you know??? by musicalmidget on 06-05-2004 at 12:28 AM

I'm more into the web side of programming/scripting at the moment.  I started learning PHP before Christmas and picked it up quickly.  My knowledge still isn't perfect but I'm learning as I go, and enjoying it too.  Like WDZ said, HTML and mySQL are often closely linked with PHP, so I'm quite fluent in those too.

* musicalmidget remembers when HTML looked so complicated. :p

I'm quite interested in learning some form of computer programming language, and tried C++ a while ago but lost patience after a few days.  I couldn't even get my "Hello World" program to run. :p

I'll get there one day, but it may not be C++ I learn at this rate. :)

RE: What programming languages do you know??? by lopardo on 06-05-2004 at 01:16 AM

I started with VB6 until I discovered Delphi and I'm using it since then :) Delphi is Object Pascal, and it's pretty close to what Hah posted ;)

I also know HTML, PHP, JavaScript.

RE: What programming languages do you know??? by lhunath on 06-05-2004 at 07:30 AM

HTML, CSS as structural languages, not programming, as pointed out plenty of times before ^^. (would love to get into XML soon)
Java, C++, VB, QBasic as application programming languages.
PHP, Javascript, "mIRC script code" as scripting languages.

Thing is, most programming languages are very alike, C++, PHP, Java, they're all based upon a same root, dno which though, but it's rather easy to learn the one when you know the other.

RE: What programming languages do you know??? by ayjay on 06-05-2004 at 07:44 AM

Fluent in HTML (yes I know it isn't a programming language) BASIC (stupid crap thing) and JavaScript. I know the basics of XML and am currently learning VB.

RE: What programming languages do you know??? by crank on 06-05-2004 at 10:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli

My first language was the one used by a Texas Instrument calculator, very similar to Basic.

Cool I started with that to! I just didn't learn Basic because I couldn't find a good compiler (for free ofcourse!) and so I started learning in Dev-C++...
Ow and I forgot i know quite some HTML (Look at my site... I've got too many iFrames in it I think...)

RE: What programming languages do you know??? by KeyStorm on 06-05-2004 at 10:11 AM

Huh, yeah, forgot to say I'm an ActionScript geek :grin:

RE: What programming languages do you know??? by Dempsey on 06-05-2004 at 11:09 AM

i started with Pascal then I moved onto VB and now im starting to use PHP for my website.

When i get time i want to learn C++ or something.

Oh yea i also use some AppleScript and Shell Scripts on OS X :p

RE: What programming languages do you know??? by Jutx on 06-05-2004 at 11:47 AM

I do mostly VB. I used to do Lingo (in Director, if that really counts) and i know a bit of ASP. Next on my to do list would be PHP and then C/C++. Certainly got my work cut out for me.

RE: What programming languages do you know??? by Mippo on 06-05-2004 at 02:42 PM

I know HTML, XHTML, and many, many other Markup Languages... :/ Then JavaScript and PHP. These are not really programming, but scripting, actually. But, I know a little bit of VB too! That's about it, I guess. :happy:

Enough to suit me. :banana: