Shoutbox

Idea for Patchou msg3 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Idea for Patchou msg3 (/showthread.php?tid=26820)

Idea for Patchou msg3 by da_unruled on 06-06-2004 at 11:47 AM

allright, this is a very simple idea and only a small function but I, along with a few friends to whom I talked about it really would like to see this implemented.

Basically, as there are the functions such as /away, /signout, I would like to hav e a "/quit" to log out and close the program (even from the tray). I would find it very usefull because very ofen I just have the temptation to do so, or I type /signout but then I still have to rightclick and exit.

I hope you consider this,
thanks patchou

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Anubis on 06-06-2004 at 11:49 AM

I suppose this could be useful...but for the effort of right-click and close it's probably not worth it. The command would probably be /exit

RE: RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by da_unruled on 06-06-2004 at 11:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
I suppose this could be useful...but for the effort of right-click and close it's probably not worth it. The command would probably be /exit

:) "quit" is faster and slightly easier to type, but thanks anyway (Y)
(H)
RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Anubis on 06-06-2004 at 12:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by da_unruled
"quit" is faster and slightly easier to type
I don't see how I just measured how long it took me to type /exit and it was about 0.3 seconds...same as /quit...so I don't see that being a problem :dodgy:
Unless there's a demand for a feature Patchou wont add it in the next update (in a few months)...If more people want it Patchou will add it, I suggest you encourage as many of your friends who want this feature to sign up and post their encouragement for the idea in this thread...
RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by The Napster on 06-06-2004 at 12:11 PM

I think it be useful. Wouldnt use it much though, since i just leave msn mesenger on all the time.

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by FurryD on 06-06-2004 at 12:18 PM

hmm, i don't see how typing "quit" is any faster than typing "exit" either. ok, the buttons on the keyboard for "quit" are all on the same row, so they're closer together. (but the difference's probably somewhere in the milliseconds :P)

anyway, i too think such a command, be it "quit", "exit" or "shut down the currently running instance of msn messenger 6" (anyone who can think of a longer one? :P) would be useful

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Stigmata on 06-06-2004 at 12:22 PM

someone could easyly make a plugin using this...

ill do it if u give me more commands, one isnt enough. ill start on it after i finish my hwk..... :S crappy maths. pm me some more commands
or something along those lines

so theres
- signout

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Anubis on 06-06-2004 at 12:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jackass_wanabe
someone could easyly make a plugin using this...
Yeah but it wouldn't be /exit it would be /xexit...unless you made it /xit
RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Stigmata on 06-06-2004 at 12:25 PM

your wrong my friend :)

most of my personal plugins dont :)

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Pure_BY on 06-06-2004 at 01:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
for the effort of right-click and close it's probably not worth it
Patchou did include a /signout command in Plus!, so right-click > Sign Out is more effort? :rolleyes: :D

I like the idea very much, and really hope Patcou will add this feature (Y)

And as for /exit or /quit they both good imo. If it is /exit, and someone wants it to be /quit, he can alsways make a quicktext /exit with alias quit, so everyone will be happy :)
Same for plugins commands :)

Also, pls visit this thread and vote http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=26783 :P
Thanx! :)
RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by da_unruled on 06-06-2004 at 01:32 PM

Im glad to see that there are more people eager to see this function implemented :), maybe we should start a poll or someething

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Stigmata on 06-06-2004 at 01:58 PM

done :)

/xquit
and
/xexit

plus little toast saying signing out :)

http://jwb.killercarrot.co.uk/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=15

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by da_unruled on 06-06-2004 at 02:14 PM

leet mate, Im gona check it out now
wow that was fast :)

/edit I tried it but it didn't work properly...yet
I registered it correctly and its loaded but when I try /xquit (I configged it for /quit aswell) I get this:

#/signout (in the chat dialog) and A little menu pops up, (well..half pops up)
called "messenger milk extract", also the msn icon in the tray flickers into a msg plus icon..
which is all nice, BUT it doesn't exit. Also the little window Im not sure I like, could it be disabled :D

:) hope this helps

/edit also I was just thinking of having a command line at the bottom of the main msn window under teh user list. That would be usefull.

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Pure_BY on 06-06-2004 at 02:27 PM

Not working! It sends #/signout command to conversation, and does not close Messenger. Pop-up works though :/

And it opens a website what i didnt ask for :dodgy:

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by MC Inferno on 06-06-2004 at 02:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by FurryD
be it "quit", "exit" or "shut down the currently running instance of msn messenger 6" (anyone who can think of a longer one? :P)

"Shut down the currently running instance of msn messenger 6 please?" ;)

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Stigmata on 06-06-2004 at 02:41 PM

:S worked fine for me

i think ive uploaded the wrong .dll

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by da_unruled on 06-06-2004 at 02:48 PM

:) is the new one up yet?

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Stigmata on 06-06-2004 at 03:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pure_BY
It sends #/signout command to conversation
fixed

quote:
and does not close Messenger
working on, i keep getting errors

quote:
And it opens a website what i didnt ask for
only if you click on it with your mouse :), right click insted and it wont........or wait till it dissapears

quote:
is the new one up yet?
yep its done :P

use the link i posted earlyer
quote:
Originally posted by jackass_wanabe
http://jwb.killercarrot.co.uk/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=15

quote:
Also the little window Im not sure I like, could it be disabled

when i finish the complete shutdown of messenger, ill make /xquit show the pop up and /xexit not if u like. or the other way around...or have /xexitpop and /xquitpop :s

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Pure_BY on 06-06-2004 at 03:39 PM

yeah! All I want is MSN Messenger shut down, and I dont need any notification for it... I can not type /xexit by accident and not notice it :P

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Anubis on 06-06-2004 at 03:42 PM

JWB I don't suppose you could attach the source of that plugin could you...I'm eager to see how it works...

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by CookieRevised on 06-06-2004 at 03:48 PM

Use 1 command... people can make quicktexts if they want....
/xexit seems more suitable in my eyes as this plugin will "exit" messenger. "quit" has a very slithly different meaning...

So "/xexit" and "/xexitpopup"... Like I said, people can make aliases to suit their needs ;)

But 1 thought though: What will happen if you use this with polygamy? Take that also in account ;)

And if the plugin could be renamed to something more descriptive like "ExitMSN" or something. Remember that "Silly Plugin" isn't realy descriptive in the plugin-menu (even if it is a very small plugin, if everybody would do that, lol ;))

ranting-over-and-out ;)
;)

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Pure_BY on 06-06-2004 at 03:50 PM

I totally agree wit' Cookie!

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by da_unruled on 06-06-2004 at 03:54 PM

:) true, those are some decent idea's..
this plugins is gonna Pwn :D

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Stigmata on 06-06-2004 at 03:55 PM

ok im finished 2 :)

u lot beta be happy for me :)

"Exit - SignOut Only"
"/xexit"

"Quit - SignOut Only"
"/xquit"

"Exit - Shutdown Messenger - Exit Message"
"/xe"

"Quit - Shutdown Messenger - No Exit Message "
"/xq"

"Quit - SignOut Only - Pop Up"
"/xquitpop"

"Exit - SignOut Only - Pop Up"
"/xexitpop"

better explain the shut down 2 :P
the exit one displays the message, are you sure you want to exit messenger, which is the message you get when u try to exit with open convasations

and the quit one well, just shuts down messenger, very fast as well :P, no message, no nothing, just dissapears

everyone keeps asking me why i keep going on/off line (noobs) and i dont wana be a geek so i say, oh i think someones hacking me :P

http://jwb.killercarrot.co.uk/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=16

btw im fucking knacked from gig last night, got maths coursework, wana finish my sites upgrade.... and im going away for the week tommorrow on a adverture week :S

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Stigmata on 06-06-2004 at 03:56 PM

sorry cookie :P

will do for the next version :P

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by da_unruled on 06-06-2004 at 03:57 PM

man, thats pretty awesome taht you got it done, im gona test it now.
source would be interesting! hmmmmmm :)

/edit okay, I finished testing..

basically there is still a bug that I would like fixed ofcourse :D
/xe works perfectly, it asks to sign out then closes, but /xq (without message exititing function) does not work, it simply signs out.

hope this will be the last thing to work out, and thanks loads mate

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Pure_BY on 06-06-2004 at 04:17 PM

yes! /xq just signes you out! :(

And /xq is exactly the only one of those commands that I will ever use :(

And... Changing "Silly thing 2" to "ExitMSN" or something like that would be indeed a good idea :P

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Stigmata on 06-06-2004 at 04:20 PM

quote:
but /xq (without message exititing function) does not work, it simply signs out.

/xq is a forceful shutdown

it complete cleans the memory of messenger :P eg shuts it down :P
(works for me, just used it :S)
btw i could easyly fix this :P becuase the /xe has the option to show  the message or not, (now i feel stupid....)

should i realise the source?
RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by matty on 06-06-2004 at 04:53 PM

Blah, I was bored today enjoy.

usage /xexit

Will only work with MSN Messenger.
Has its own Installer so enjoy.

Fixes:
Will close all instances of MSN Messenger (Polygamy)

Limitation:
No way to find out which Instance of MSN Messenger is used when typing /xexit

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by da_unruled on 06-06-2004 at 05:11 PM

"i could easyly fix this  becuase the /xe has the option to show  the message or not" when will you :D

em, Matty, what exactly are you taking about :o there is no file or link attached, am I missing something?

jackasswanabe: I suppose you could just pm the source or sometn if you don't want it totally publically known, I just want to check it to see how it is done, possibly to make my own plugs next time, so I dont have to bother you guys :p

you make some nice programs for a 4 yr old :D

Anubis: yeah, I was thinking of putting a link to the file in a PM....
and yeah, I know it wouldn't tell me about other plugins but it would give me a vague idea. That's what I want, a vague Idea (okay that doesn't sound too smart but o well, I just want to know what it roughly is like, an example if you will)

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Anubis on 06-06-2004 at 05:15 PM

quote:
jackasswanabe: I suppose you could just pm the source or sometn if you don't want it totally publically known, I just want to check it to see how it is done, possibly to make my own plugs next time, so I dont have to bother you guys
...how can he PM you the source? You can't send the source files over PM. Also it wouldn't tell you how to make plugins of a different nature...
RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Millenium_edition on 06-06-2004 at 05:20 PM

a link?

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Stigmata on 06-06-2004 at 05:28 PM

segosa is after the source 2
i think ill realise the source when i realise my new site :)

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by matty on 06-06-2004 at 05:44 PM

JW does this link look familiar?

http://msnfanatic.com/index.php?module=announce&A...a1d8ba14532d61480c

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by da_unruled on 06-06-2004 at 05:52 PM

em matty the thing you gave in the link on then previous page only logs out, it doesn't shut it down...
Jw, when will the fixed version be up?

:)

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by FurryD on 06-06-2004 at 05:53 PM

Matty:
I tried your plugin, and it seems to work, when you have more than one instance of messenger running with polygamy it also only shuts down one of them. but the problem is, it shuts down the newer instance as it seems, no matter in which i type the command.

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Sk3tch on 06-06-2004 at 06:04 PM

Nice idea on the whole..   i probably wouldn't use it tbh as i never really just exit my messenger instance anyway..

but i do like the idea, and the plugins seem great.

I'll have to try them both out and see what there like :)

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by matty on 06-06-2004 at 06:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by FurryD
Matty:
I tried your plugin, and it seems to work, when you have more than one instance of messenger running with polygamy it also only shuts down one of them. but the problem is, it shuts down the newer instance as it seems, no matter in which i type the command.

OK I fixed that part, let me know if you find anything else. Just reinstall it again it will overwrite the dll.
RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by da_unruled on 06-06-2004 at 06:16 PM

Ok furryD, it doesn't seem to work for me though...also just now my msn got messed up...there are all these weird things...I uninstalled msg plus and msn, reinstalled both and they are still there (removed all plugins too)

anyway know whatthis is/how to fix this?err :( thanks
I can't wait for the newer versions of shutdown plugins

Im talking about those weird bars with the msn logo :|

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by matty on 06-06-2004 at 06:21 PM

Try updating your video card drivers. This had happened in the past and that solved it, for the most part

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by segosa on 06-06-2004 at 06:30 PM

Well, I made my own version. (Specially for Pure_BY :p)

I think this is much simpler than jackasswanabe's, only three commands:

/xexit - Exit MSN Messenger completely.
/xexitr - Exit and then restart MSN Messenger
/xexitc - Close all conversation windows.

For /xexitr, the msnlaunch.exe (I programmed that file too, it's about 4 lines of code :P) file needs to be in the plugin directory. Since that's the only way for me to relaunch MSN Messenger after it has shutdown (It launches after 3 secs, If launched earlier MSN Messenger sometimes doesn't start up properly.)

To install just copy both files to the plugin directory, then restart MSN Messenger or use a Plugin reloader.

jackasswanabe: I don't suppose I get to see your source now do I? :P

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by CookieRevised on 06-06-2004 at 07:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
Well, I made my own version. (Specially for Pure_BY :p)

I think this is much simpler than jackasswanabe's, only three commands:

/xexit - Exit MSN Messenger completely.
/xexitr - Exit and then restart MSN Messenger
/xexitc - Close all conversation windows.

For /xexitr, the msnlaunch.exe (I programmed that file too, it's about 4 lines of code :P) file needs to be in the plugin directory.
/xexit works fine (and closes only the current instance with polygamy, so (y))

/xexitr, can you make it possible so you can add an argument to it to the file that needs to be restarted? I ask this because I use my own little script to startup Messenger:
eg: /xexitr "c:\yaddayadda\msgplus & msnmsg.vbs"
of course, if nothing is added as argument, msnmsgr.exe should be started like it does now...

Last thing: You added the config-feature to the plugin, yet there is nothing to configure. So, maybe disable that, or put an about-box there when you press the config button...

;)
RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by segosa on 06-06-2004 at 07:15 PM

EDIT: wait

RE: RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by FurryD on 06-06-2004 at 07:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
OK I fixed that part, let me know if you find anything else. Just reinstall it again it will overwrite the dll.

hmm, now it just exits all running instances of messenger. (or is it supposed to be like that? i thought it should exit the one where you type the command in)
and this time i had to manually register the dll. no problem for me, but some other users might not know how to do it, or that they have to do it at all.

oh wow, now we already have 3 different plugins for the same function in this thread :P *goes to test the other ones too*
RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by matty on 06-06-2004 at 07:26 PM

Segosa you win!

I conceed

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Stigmata on 06-06-2004 at 07:29 PM

ok next time im the first to make something

remind me to copywrite the idea :)

ill make millions

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by FurryD on 06-06-2004 at 07:31 PM

segosa:
very nice, also the functions are useful, but...
at first i thought it really did close the correct instance of msn, but it seems to close the one that was started first (istead of the newest one as matty's did)

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by matty on 06-06-2004 at 07:31 PM

Thats true, but others also had the idea, like me when I got the first Beta of Plus! i was like there is no exit command, and I didn't have enough spare time to actually make the plugin.

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by segosa on 06-06-2004 at 07:48 PM

FurryD: I know, I was going to try get the parent window of the active conversation, but seeing as conversation windows don't seem to be treated as child windows, I don't think I can.

CookieRevised: I added what you want. If you specify a program after /xexitr, it will run that instead of MSN Messenger.

Matty: O_o

jackasswanabe: sorry man.

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by FurryD on 06-06-2004 at 07:53 PM

well, i just wanted to point it out. i normally only use one instance of msn messenger anyway, and for that it's just fine.

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by da_unruled on 06-06-2004 at 08:17 PM

Segosa, you'rs wins :) works great.

thanks a lot all of ya

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by segosa on 06-06-2004 at 08:20 PM

Tomorrow I'm going to add /xexita, It'll exit all instances of MSN Messenger. CookieRevised was being dodgy on IRC and started giving me a large list of features and stuff, I'll maybe do what he said IF I'm in a good mood :p.

I don't really feel the /xexita command should have one to restart too, since if you have more than one instance, I don't know how many were already open, and if only one is opened, surely you need to go start more manually, which means you could just start them all manually.

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by Pure_BY on 06-06-2004 at 11:02 PM

Yo, thanks, Segosa :)

What abouy my idea on restarting MSN Messenger by clicking popup? :P

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by segosa on 06-07-2004 at 06:15 AM

Dan: That might work, but TheBlasphemer told me I could use GetCurrentProcess, and it works.

The plugin will now only exit the instance where you type it in, with /xexit and /xexitr.

/xexita has been added, which will close all instances. FYI, it uses msnlaunch.exe to do this, since imagine this:

app.exe launched 5 times, the first one is used to kill all instances.. it'll start by killing itself, thus nothing is going to kill the rest. That's what was happening with it in MSN Messenger, so I had to get msnlaunch.exe to perform the task :)

Pure_BY: As for the popups, they close as soon as MSN Messenger closes, so I'm not sure how I'd do that... :/

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by CookieRevised on 06-07-2004 at 04:00 PM

quote:
CookieRevised was being dodgy on IRC and started giving me a large list of features and stuff, I'll maybe do what he said IF I'm in a good mood :p.
Large? It was only 1 suggestion... :tongue:
quote:
The plugin will now only exit the instance where you type it in, with /xexit and /xexitr.
/xexita has been added, which will close all instances.
:kiss:

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by FurryD on 06-07-2004 at 04:29 PM

only exits the instance where you type it? *has to instantly try it*

-The maximum server load limit has been reached-
oh great.... why now? -_-'

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by FurryD on 06-07-2004 at 04:32 PM

oh hey, it works, just the way it should. great ^^
good work segosa

RE: Idea for Patchou msg3 by segosa on 06-07-2004 at 07:48 PM

heh, thanks ;D