Shoutbox

[request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" (/showthread.php?tid=26842)

[request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by CookieRevised on 06-06-2004 at 05:00 PM

Can there be something done about T&T???
In the "Latest Posts"-page (which I use all the time) there are 17 T&T threads, and this is an average. It's because of all the useless "I'm bored threads".

People just spamming there for the heck of it, and I'm getting realy annoyed by it. And don't say: "don't read the threads", because the threads show up on that page where other usefull threads could be instead...
Everyday, some spammers are creating new useless T&T threads that will contain a couple of posts and then they will move on in creating yet another thread, etc... :@

So my question, can there be an option in the User CP to turn on/off showing T&T threads in the "Latest Posts"-page?

Note: I'm not requesting to remove T&T... T&T will still exist, you could choose to enable/disable it so that it wont show in the "Latest Posts"-page anymore. You still can go to T&T of course.

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by Anubis on 06-06-2004 at 05:10 PM

As a spammer, I feel like other people should have the right to have a spam-free latest posts and it would make it easier and quicker to help people when I'm in a non-spammish mood...

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by Millenium_edition on 06-06-2004 at 05:14 PM

T&T is 80% of the forum. so no.
i find it stupid 50% of the posts get moved to there.

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by Tochjo on 06-06-2004 at 05:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
They get moved for a reason.

quote:
Maybe that's exactly why Cookie wants it gone?
RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by CookieRevised on 06-06-2004 at 05:33 PM

quote:
If people wouldn't spam so much and post actual on-topic, usefull things, nothing will be moved... this isn't a spam-board, this is a support-board...

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
quote:
Maybe that's exactly why Cookie wants it gone?
Exactly....

And T&T wouldn't be gone, it would still be there, you can still spam, only it wouldn't show up in the "Latest Posts"-page...

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by Anubis on 06-06-2004 at 05:33 PM

quote:
But it's optional and some people feel that they may only want to help rather than filter the distress calls from the piles of garbage
RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by Sk3tch on 06-06-2004 at 05:51 PM

Well i like the idea, an option to show the posts or not would be useful i think. (especially when the forums are busy)

Good suggestion Cookie (Y)

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by Mike on 06-06-2004 at 06:10 PM

I never use the "Lastest Post" page so i dont care... :refuck:

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by dotNorma on 06-06-2004 at 07:03 PM

Yes , This is a great suggestion Cookie (Y)

I thought of it also myself but never posted it. They take up the veiw lastest posts page and then you can't see if new members posted asking for help or anything!

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by bach_m on 06-06-2004 at 07:15 PM

i agree completely cookie! i think it would be a huge help. and maybe i wont have to switch to the second page just to see all the new posts in the morning. especially cuz i'm seeing 50 at a time

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by GiantSpider on 06-06-2004 at 07:19 PM

I like the suggestion only because its a good idea. I am still a spammer though. :refuck:

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by Sunshine on 06-06-2004 at 07:54 PM

Good idea, i like it. I use view latest posts to see where help is needed (or updates on plugins ofcourse ;) ), not to find out if there has been new posts in spammy threads (not all are spammy or useless in T&T i know i know, don't get me wrong there) and going thru all those pages is annoying. To see if there's anything interesting in T&T i/you could always go inta T&T itself.

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by musicalmidget on 06-06-2004 at 07:55 PM

Once again, I fully agree with Cookie. :)

Recently I've noticed that most of the threads listed on the latest posts are from T&T, and although I don't mind T&T posts, I use the latest posts page to look for new "ordinary" (for want of a better word) posts.  Then I go to T&T afterwards.

I would welcome an option in the user cp to prevent T&T posts showing on the latest posts page. :)

On another note, I think it's probably a little more welcoming for a new member if they see a page of posts that aren't all spam. :p

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by martin on 06-06-2004 at 07:56 PM

good idea, but have the optain in the CP could take a little bit i time for use poor dailup to switch over, could it be add sumwhere with in the latest post page or have 2 diff ones and have links to the others

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by RebelSean on 06-06-2004 at 08:57 PM

Tis not a good suggestion, just couse you don't like us so called "spammers" don't mean you cant see our posts...BTW what If a person comes here and posts a message in t&t but non of the smart peps comes in a quick to see the help question and he leaves thinkin that no one will help him......But on the other side I do agree couse I myself see alot os useless threads in T&T... :d

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by Tochjo on 06-06-2004 at 09:05 PM

XxRebelSeanxX, you made no sense at all. You say it's a good and a bad suggestion in one post.

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
just couse you don't like us so called "spammers" don't mean you cant see our posts...
Yes it does. Nobody should be forcing him and others to view their T&T threads.

quote:
what If a person comes here and posts a message in t&t but non of the smart peps comes in a quick to see the help question and he leaves thinkin that no one will help him...
Smart person? We are all here to help, and I for one wouldn't disable T&T posts on the latest posts page. I take it some other elite members, moderators and admins wouldn't either.

Also, when CookieRevised has read all other threads, I think he might take a look in T&T to see what's going on there.

quote:
just couse you don't like us so called "spammers" don't mean you cant see our posts...
quote:
I do agree couse I myself see alot os useless threads in T&T...
That is contradicting yourself :)
RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by RebelSean on 06-06-2004 at 09:07 PM

Meaning it is a good and bad idea in all...

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
That is contradicting yourself 
What do you mean by that????

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by Tochjo on 06-06-2004 at 09:08 PM

You are saying you would not like it, but you are also saying you would like it. That is contradicting yourself.

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by GiantSpider on 06-06-2004 at 09:09 PM

contradicting:Two things that cancel each other out. Say I like Football but I hate it.

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by RebelSean on 06-06-2004 at 09:16 PM

I was sayin that I would like it but I wouldn't like it... :dodgy:

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by bach_m on 06-06-2004 at 09:19 PM

quote:

and thats a contradiction. the two are mutually exclusive. u can't, by definition, like something and not like it at the same time
RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by GiantSpider on 06-06-2004 at 09:20 PM

Contradicting no?

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by RebelSean on 06-06-2004 at 09:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
quote:

and thats a contradiction. the two are mutually exclusive. u can't, by definition, like something and not like it at the same time

I can like/dislike anything I want....:refuck:....
I was just statin my oppinion
RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by GiantSpider on 06-06-2004 at 09:26 PM

And we were just telling you your contradicting yourself.

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by lylesback2 on 06-07-2004 at 01:35 AM

use the minimizing buttons... so you can totally blank out T&T :P

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by WDZ on 06-07-2004 at 06:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lylesback2
use the minimizing buttons... so you can totally blank out T&T :P
That has no effect on latest.php... :rolleyes:

I already excluded T&T on the MsgPlus! Tab because there's such a small list there, it would be crappy if it was filled with spam. :p I figured most people wouldn't mind having all forums shown on the Latest Posts page though... I know I don't mind... in fact, I prefer seeing everything. If you want to limit what you see, use forumdisplay.

Anyway, I guess I could add an option if the poll says I should. |-)
RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by martin on 06-07-2004 at 07:25 AM

well if by chance u do add it, could u make it so that its easly changable

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by Wabz on 06-07-2004 at 12:57 PM

It's a nice feature would certainly clear the boards up and make it easier to visit forums that need help.  I never go to T&T anyways

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by surfichris on 06-07-2004 at 01:21 PM

I would like the whole forum deleted because its what causes alot of the spam around here.. People know they can get away with it so they post crap in any forum they want and all we do is move it to T&T or delete it.

You so called "spammers" can probably go somewhere else and do your spamming because these forums are more support and technical forums than for spamming.

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by Varish on 06-07-2004 at 01:36 PM

You can add somethin like the "show thereds that i have posted" at the bottom sayin' "Exclude all T&T posts" :D

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by KeyStorm on 06-07-2004 at 01:41 PM

I don't agree with Surfi. There are lots of helpers who sometimes need some leisure after their hard non-profit support session.
However, what is not acceptable is that there are people (sorry Omar, I'm sure you get my point :wink:) who post more in T&T than in other forums, and that's exactly not the point of this Community.
IMPOV: Let's have some leisure, but let's stick to the aim of these forums.

As for techinque, there could be set a harder limit for posts in T&T whether posted in it, moved or splitted. Something like "100 posts in T&T per week" or similar should be enough.

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by WDZ on 06-07-2004 at 02:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by martin
well if by chance u do add it, could u make it so that its easly changable
Yeah...
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe
You can add a like like "show thereds that i have posted" at the bottom sayin' "Exclude all T&T posts" :D
I'm planning to do something like that.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
I would like the whole forum deleted
Noooooooooo! :blah:

:p

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
There are lots of helpers who sometimes need some leisure after their hard non-profit support session.
Agreed.
quote:
Let's have some leisure, but let's stick to the aim of these forums.
Agreed.

quote:
You so called "spammers" can probably go somewhere else and do your spamming because these forums are more support and technical forums than for spamming.
* WDZ doesn't know where else to go... :p

Going to a different board just isn't the same... you have to register a new separate account there, deal with different members, possibly deal with different forum software, etc. Also, if you want to talk about something related to MsgPlus! or this board, nobody there would know what the hell you're talking about, or be able to participate. It wouldn't be as much fun, and I believe people would still spam here.

quote:
Something like "100 posts in T&T per week" or similar should be enough.
^o) Some people sometimes post almost that much per day... :p
RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by KeyStorm on 06-07-2004 at 02:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Some people sometimes post almost that much per day...

Yeah, that's way too much spam.

Or say, warn member after X different posts reported, X different posts splitted, or deleted.
These are the members who cause most spam in here, not those who open a thread in T&T and spam controlled.

There are people who post such nonsense into TechTalk or GCC for the grace of posting, that I'm sometimes afraid to tell them they don't have to spam, and I don't want to report all dodgy posts (that'd be way too much work for me :grin:).

There are also people who are posting freaks, but they hardly post on a MP! related forum, they're always in TT, GCC and T&T. Are they supposed to be posting freaks in a Community about Messenger Plus!? Some prefer to talk about CS, Halo or latest MS beta leak.
Sure it's interesting for some people, but that should be controlled in some way...

And what is more sad: people concerned with arising their post counts... :dodgy: But well, that's something we can't control...

Edit: This is one of the reasons I encourage the Reputation system per posts, in this way we regard posts objectively not overall behaviours (which is obviously subjective and unaccurate).
(the old POST vs. MEMBER - based rep. system :refuck:)
RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by Sk3tch on 06-07-2004 at 02:58 PM

quote:
I would like the whole forum deleted because its what causes a lot of the spam around here.. People know they can get away with it so they post crap in any forum they want and all we do is move it to T&T or delete it.

If i am correct, T&T is for testing and trashing right? Ok.. so then if i am correct, testing and trashing is for testing features/themes/anything on the boards and trashing is.. well.. what is trashing? ^o) Obviously the T&T post ratings have dramatically increased in the last.. erm.. 2 to 3 months, and its because a lot of new members have joined.. need i say more. Its not a bad thing to have posts in T&T as KeyStorm says, leisure is good to have as well. However, when you click that nice friendly latest posts link and find the page full up with T&T like "Oo.... im bored... lets spam..." and "New game.. say something bad about the person before you.." well.. you can see what i mean. Thus: why not improve/change the rules for T&T in a sense that would inevitably stop the "spamming" as it is now, and bring it down to a reasonable level of tolerance. I don't really have any ideas in mind for new rules or restrictions, but even if you had something to restict the amount of T&T posts a user could make, or even just state that there thread postings will be monitored and if over the top, then ban them. Either way if you (The admins, mods and members) are unhappy about the amount of T&T you are getting, then do something about it..  but removing it will not help at all. As much as T&T tends to "spam" the forum, it also helps it in certain ways.

Anyway, this idea of the option to remove the T&T posts from the latest posts page is a good idea never the less, so im looking forward to it if WDZ adds it :)
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Originally posted by Chloe
You can add a like like "show thereds that i have posted" at the bottom sayin' "Exclude all T&T posts"

I'm planning to do something like that.
(Y)
quote:
There are also people who are posting freaks, but they hardly post on a MP! related forum, they're always in TT, GCC and T&T. Are they supposed to be posting freaks in a Community about Messenger Plus!? Some prefer to talk about CS, Halo or latest MS beta leak.
Sure it's interesting for some people, but that should be controlled in some way...
I agree
quote:
And what is more sad: people concerned with arising their post counts...  But well, that's something we can't control...
Yeah.. it is sad :-/
RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by WDZ on 06-07-2004 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Edit: This is one of the reasons I encourage the Reputation system per posts, in this way we regard posts objectively not overall behaviours (which is obviously subjective and unaccurate).
Blah... you can do the same abuse with the post system... every post has a username next to it that you can read... :p

While the MyBB reputation system was enabled, we saw those problems... certain members seemed to be "targeted"... :-/
RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by KeyStorm on 06-07-2004 at 03:21 PM

Yeah, but apart from abusing (which can be done with both systems, and that is the reason why only some selected members have allowed to give rep.) I still think that rating posts is essentially more accurate than rating the global impression of someone (which is based in the posts anyway)...

btw, soz for the off-topic reference.

Back to the discussion :wink:

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by Concord Dawn on 06-08-2004 at 01:17 AM

How about a drop down menu saying exclude this forums or view just this forum. That way people with a certain area of expertise can help people within it faster.

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by toddy on 07-02-2004 at 11:43 PM

is this feature going to be added ? coz i would really like it to be, i find it really annoyin when lookin through the latest posts, most of them are just spam, this makes it hard to find proper posts in which people need help or advise

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by Kafman on 07-03-2004 at 01:51 AM

WDZ you are an admin of this forums, you MUST give the example of a good behavior, not spamming around like you confirmed with your vote, other way, I'm not saying that an elite, a moderator or an admin can't spam in T&T, but in that vote you confirm that you are supporting that annoying spammers.
Maybe I am mistaken, maybe not.

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by WDZ on 07-03-2004 at 01:58 AM

Actually, I don't agree with either option. I just voted "no" because I don't want T&T excluded. :-/

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by toddy on 07-03-2004 at 02:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Actually, I don't agree with either option. I just voted "no" because I don't want T&T excluded. 
so does that mean that the option to hide t&t in the latest posts page isn't going to be added ?

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by user27089 on 07-03-2004 at 08:50 AM

i think this should happen, there may also be less spam, because spammers usually just go into view latest posts and search for t&t, cause they're too dumb to actually press Testing and Trashing :)

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by CookieRevised on 07-03-2004 at 09:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Actually, I don't agree with either option. I just voted "no" because I don't want T&T excluded.
I realy don't get that, WDZ....

T&T wont be excluded from the forum, if that is what you mean... The option (default: off) will be in the users CP. The user can choose to hide/show the T&T threads in the "latest post" page if they visit that page....

It's not an option that you must tick/untick whenever you create a new T&T thread, so that thread wont/will show up....

It's a local option for the user only, so he can decide if he want to include/exclude all the T&T threads in the "latest posts" when he visits that page.

Spammers are still free to not change that option so that they will see T&T threads in "latest posts" (proberly they wont even know that the option exists).....
RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by Johnny_Mac on 07-03-2004 at 04:09 PM

quote:
I would like the whole forum deleted because its what causes alot of the spam around here.. People know they can get away with it so they post crap in any forum they want and all we do is move it to T&T or delete it.
When the server load hits a particular level, or whatever thing maybe causing speed issues; T&T should reply when a tempoarily disabled message IMO.

quote:
Originally posted by Kafman
WDZ you are an admin of this forums, you MUST give the example of a good behavior, not spamming around like you confirmed with your vote, other way, I'm not saying that an elite, a moderator or an admin can't spam in T&T, but in that vote you confirm that you are supporting that annoying spammers.
Maybe I am mistaken, maybe not.
WTF?!

If he doesnt want to add something thats his choice. WDZ would be programming the feature, if he doesnt want to do it thats his right. Supporting spammers? Bullshit.
RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by WDZ on 07-03-2004 at 04:22 PM

Cookie: I know all that. :-/ I voted "no" because I personally want T&T on my latest posts page. Looks like I've been out-voted though. :p

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by Kryptonate on 07-03-2004 at 04:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Cookie: I know all that. :-/ I voted "no" because I personally want T&T on my latest posts page. Looks like I've been out-voted though. :p

so does that mean you're going to add it? :P
RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by toddy on 07-03-2004 at 04:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Cookie: I know all that.  I voted "no" because I personally want T&T on my latest posts page.

the suggestion is to have an option in which you can decide whether or not to show T&T in the your "latest post" page. this means that some users could see T&T and other members who decide to turn on the option to hide T&T would not see it in the "latest post" page

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by WDZ on 07-03-2004 at 04:57 PM

I KNOW :lol:

My vote means "I don't want it personally," not "I don't want anyone to have it" :p

Anyways, I've got latest.php open in my editor right now... I've been wanting to make some improvements to the code, so I might as well get 2 things done at once. :) Don't be surprised if latest.php is unavailable for a while later...

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by toddy on 07-03-2004 at 05:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Anyways, I've got latest.php open in my editor right now... I've been wanting to make some improvements to the code, so I might as well get 2 things done at once.  Don't be surprised if latest.php is unavailable for a while later...

so its been added ? thats great news :D:D:D:D

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by KeyStorm on 07-03-2004 at 05:12 PM

IMO, the poll is very dodgy.
Both options are too radical. I didn't vote since I don't agree with any of them.
Thus Kafman got confused. WDZ didn't actually mean he is a spammer. But he voted "NO, I'm a spammer and I want to annoy everybody with my useless stuff..."... :dodgy:

The poll options are spam themselves :refuck:

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by GiantSpider on 07-03-2004 at 05:23 PM

I think this is a good idea. To those who don't want it don't make any difference. And to those who want it its great. What I don't like is.

quote:
Poll Options
NO, I'm a spammer and I want to annoy everybody with my useless stuff...
Bit harsh. It's not something they should feal quilty about.
quote:
Originally posted by Kafman
but in that vote you confirm that you are supporting that annoying spammers.
Again with the annoying spammers. Whats rong with spamming in T&T? Nothing. So stop the guilt trip and let WDZ have his opinion. 
RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by KeyStorm on 07-03-2004 at 05:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by latest.php
The Latest Posts page is not available now. Use forumdisplay for a while! :P
:banana:
RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by WDZ on 07-03-2004 at 05:41 PM

OK, I think I've tested it enough. Now you test. :p

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by Tochjo on 07-03-2004 at 05:45 PM

Looks fine to me :)

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by Kryptonate on 07-03-2004 at 05:50 PM

looks good :) thank you

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by bach_m on 07-03-2004 at 05:52 PM

looks fine to me.

RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by toddy on 07-03-2004 at 05:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
OK, I think I've tested it enough. Now you test
its works for me. good work :clap:
RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by Varish on 07-03-2004 at 05:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
OK, I think I've tested it enough. Now you test

WDZ does it again.
RE: [request] Option to turn on/off T&T in "Latest Posts" by Jeronimo on 07-03-2004 at 06:30 PM

Wow, what a difference it makes :) Nice work WDZ (y)