Shoutbox

MSN sounds... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: MSN sounds... (/showthread.php?tid=26958)

MSN sounds... by emit on 06-09-2004 at 11:16 AM

Edit: due to Cookie's suggestion, files removed.

If you are having this sound problem, a registry fix could be tailor made though. If you have knowledge of regedit then you could make one for yourself. :)

RE: MSN sounds... by paperless on 06-09-2004 at 11:19 AM

For those who ask for ME version i think the 98 sounds fix would work somebody here can try it?

RE: MSN sounds... by Sunshine on 06-09-2004 at 11:24 AM

Ta for posting this Time, good job :)

Now if someone could make em for XP an 2k an put em inhere it'll be totally awesome ;)

RE: MSN sounds... by dezzie on 06-09-2004 at 01:44 PM

Well i got the same problem :S tried everything re-installing msn the registry fix and still nothing , when i go to the sound settings the boxes are empty i clisk on msnchat sounds apply them but still doesnt work then i look again and the settings have gone back to nothing :S

RE: MSN sounds... by CookieRevised on 06-13-2004 at 04:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Time
A number of people have been having some trouble with the sounds in MSN not working and when they navigate to Control Panel -> Sounds they have the MSN Messenger set but they cannot highlight the small speaker icons nor do any files appear there.
So, here are a couple of registry fixes for XP and 98. They are fairly generic so if needed they could be changed to work for ME or 2k. :)

For XP:
XP sounds fix

for 98:
98 sounds fix
I'm sorry, but DO NOT use those registry files.
* These settings are not only OS depended but also language depended.
* Furthermore, the XP-one will overwrite all your other sounds.
* The 98-one doesn't hold the right values
* Also, the paths to the soundfiles are highly depended on how you've set up MSN Messenger, Windows, your harddisks, etc...

In short, those registry files can (and will) screw up even more things...

sorry

EDIT: The problem is a bug in MSN Messenger which reset the four ".Current"-values in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\MSNMSGR to the ".Default"-values when it is started... nothing can be done by it, it is a bug in MSN Messenger.... Also note that those values are depended on where MSN Messenger is installed and on what drive and what sounds you used previously, so don't make registry-fixes as this will only screw up other peoples registry...

Even editing the ".Default"-values to the path and files that you want doesn't help...
RE: MSN sounds... by Sunshine on 06-14-2004 at 09:30 AM

Well, I've been doin some testing and i found a workaround. MSN sets it back to defaults like it was before startup. So what i done is i went inta msn messenger > tools > options > general tab...clicked sounds. Then i closed MSN messenger completely (also in systray) and set the sounds i wanted (in my case i wanted no contact online sound). After that started MSN messenger and it kept the settings :)

Ofcourse u can also set the sounds by going to start > configurationscreen > sounds....just make sure MSN messenger isnt running whilst altering the sounds ;)

RE: MSN sounds... by CookieRevised on 06-15-2004 at 05:01 AM

Doesn't realy work.

MSN Messenger will still reset the sound back it defaults. In doing that it changes also the soundscheme that is used. So, the changes you've made (without MSN Messenger running) is still there in your soundscheme, but MSN Messenger still resets it back and in doing so, it will use a different soundscheme...

(this is for WinXP, dunno about other OS's)

RE: MSN sounds... by chris on 06-15-2004 at 05:05 AM

Well one way of a "workaround" would be to replace the default ones in the msn messenger folder to ur customised ones. Im not sure if that would work or if it replaces those sounds each restart because i havent tested it but i think it would work cuz it would be kinda pointless to overwright them each time but you never know.

RE: MSN sounds... by BEWARE^^ on 08-14-2004 at 06:02 AM

hey guys will there be more sounds in the upgrade of msn msssenger i hope so

RE: MSN sounds... by CookieRevised on 08-14-2004 at 06:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BEWARE^^
Chances are very slim, I wouldn't hope for them...... What new sound would they add without making it a jukebox btw? the current sounds seems enough in my view.
RE: MSN sounds... by BEWARE^^ on 08-14-2004 at 06:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Chances are very slim, I wouldn't hope for them...... What new sound would they add without making it a jukebox btw? the current sounds seems enough in my view.

but that don't have to be like i said just 2 or 3 more sounds ;):P
RE: MSN sounds... by cyberx on 08-15-2004 at 11:04 PM

i'd like to know if someone knows how to put or make new sounds in msn plus... for example: I have a wav file ... can i put this file to be played in msn plus with a comand like /sdoh or something like this?

RE: MSN sounds... by matty on 08-15-2004 at 11:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cyberx
i'd like to know if someone knows how to put or make new sounds in msn plus... for example: I have a wav file ... can i put this file to be played in msn plus with a comand like /sdoh or something like this?
As of right now there is no way. Maybe in the new version Patchou will make this an option. But for now there isn't.
RE: MSN sounds... by shazza on 08-28-2004 at 03:21 AM

Wow,  I thought I was the only one with the same problem. None of the default MSN sounds work, and are not in the Sounds option. MY default MSG plus sounds weren't working for awhile (/sdoh etc) but this was because of the plug-in Auditor, which I uninstalled.

I hope this sound problem is fixed soon.

RE: MSN sounds... by matty on 08-28-2004 at 03:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by shazza
Wow,  I thought I was the only one with the same problem. None of the default MSN sounds work, and are not in the Sounds option. MY default MSG plus sounds weren't working for awhile (/sdoh etc) but this was because of the plug-in Auditor, which I uninstalled.

I hope this sound problem is fixed soon.
You dont have any sound options when you go to the Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > and the Sounds tab.

Nothing appears there for MSN Messenger?

If this is the case you may run this registry entry that will add back MSN Messenger into the Sound Schemes but you may have to change the path to the files if you didn't install MSN Messenger to the Program Files or if you are using a different language.
RE: MSN sounds... by shazza on 08-28-2004 at 06:27 AM

Thanks for that, but it didn't work. I am not very knowledgeable at registry's etc.

The error I got was

"Cannot import C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSNMESGR.REG: The specificed file is not a registry script. You can only import registry files."

My directory for MSN IS C:\Program Files\MEN Messenger\ and I have Windows 98.

RE: MSN sounds... by BEWARE^^ on 08-28-2004 at 11:32 AM

C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSNMESGR.REG
C:\Program Files\MEN Messenger\

those are the same directory only the first is cutoff and i haven't got any problems with the sounds as so far

RE: MSN sounds... by CookieRevised on 08-28-2004 at 06:23 PM

quote:
C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSNMESGR.REG
C:\Program Files\MEN Messenger\
those are the same directory only the first is cutoff
Again.... don't reply if you don't know the solution.... this is nonsense and of no value to the problem....
1) there is no "cutoff"... it's called shortened pathnames and filenames; or old DOS-style; or 8.3-format
2) this hasn't anything to do with the problem

quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
If this is the case you may run this registry entry that will add back MSN Messenger into the Sound Schemes but you may have to change the path to the files if you didn't install MSN Messenger to the Program Files or if you are using a different language.
Please do not post such registry files in public... It's nice and noble to try and help, but unless you know how much the user knows about the registry, his PC, etc. and unless you know exactly what OS the user is running and what language and where MSN Messenger is installed, these files are bad:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
* These settings are not only OS depended but also language depended.
* Furthermore, the XP-one will overwrite all your other sounds.
* The 98-one doesn't hold the right values
* Also, the paths to the soundfiles are highly depended on how you've set up MSN Messenger, Windows, your harddisks, etc...

In short, those registry files can (and will) screw up even more things...
And also:
* It can also depend on the scheme that the user is using; If the user uses a particular scheme, then it is quite possible that there aren't sounds for MSN Messenger in that scheme and thus the user will not hear anything. Using a regfile like this will not fix it either, unless you know the registrystorage-name of that scheme that the user is using.

sorry :(

Note: (to everybody else who wanna post registry files): Edit your files so that they can be used by everyone. This means, do not create/export registry v5 files (which can only be used on NT-based OS's). But instead, create/export registry v4 files, which are compatible with everything... (reconizable by "REGEDIT4"-header)

quote:
Originally posted by shazza
"Cannot import C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSNMESGR.REG: The specificed file is not a registry script. You can only import registry files."
In short: that's because the registry file isn't for windows 98...

btw, reinstalling MSN Messenger should have the same result as running that registry file: the registry keys should be put back to default (this is what that regfile did)...

If you still wanna try that regfile from Matty, you can, but you need to change the first line from "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" to "REGEDIT4". So open it up in notepad and change that line, save it again and run the file...

Note to others: This method by changing the headers DOES NOT always work, be extremely carefull with it!!! A version 5 regfile can't always be converted like that to make it a version 4 regfile or vice versa!!! (but in this situation and case, it can)