Shoutbox

Max server load limit - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Max server load limit (/showthread.php?tid=26969)

Max server load limit by Sunshine on 06-09-2004 at 04:38 PM

Lately i been gettin the screen that the maximum server load limit has been reached alot. Can the limit be increased in some way?

At times it logs me out when i wanna stay logged in an at other times i can't log out cuz the limit has been reached (an i don't wanna be logged in whilst im asleep/really not there). Or when i have put in a post an i wanna edit it i can't cuz the limit has been reached again.

I also see that this can be very annoyin for the ppl who have put in a post askin for help and due to max server load limit can't check back :(

RE: Max server load limit by mad_onion on 06-09-2004 at 04:44 PM

yeah, everyone is having the same problem the server load is just getting higher and higher as the forum gets bigger. Choli said to me that the server was very good and nothing could be done about the situation when i asked. So you will just have to live with it!!!:(

RE: Max server load limit by Tochjo on 06-09-2004 at 04:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Can the limit be increased in some way?
As far as I know, the server is really having maximum load, and cannot be doing any more. Unless WDZ restricted it, but I don't think so.

quote:
at other times i can't log out cuz the limit has been reached (an i don't wanna be logged in whilst im asleep/really not there)
You will be logged out after 15 minutes automatically.

quote:
I also see that this can be very annoyin for the ppl who have put in a post askin for help and due to max server load limit can't check back
Odds are they haven't got a reply then: if they can't visit the forums, neither can other members (admins and mods excluded).
RE: Max server load limit by Sunshine on 06-09-2004 at 04:53 PM

I can see the forum beeing totally unreachable soon :(

RE: Max server load limit by GiantSpider on 06-09-2004 at 04:55 PM

Well we must try and get more people on irc then.

RE: Max server load limit by mad_onion on 06-09-2004 at 04:57 PM

your probaly right, it already is sometimes and you cant get in for ten mins which i think is unacceptable.

RE: RE: Max server load limit by Sunshine on 06-09-2004 at 04:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
Well we must try and get more people on irc then.

Hey Giant, i havent seen u on irc lately. And that solution won't work either cuz how many times do we refer to a post on the forum (or read up on the forum ourselves to solve the prob)?
RE: Max server load limit by GiantSpider on 06-09-2004 at 05:00 PM

Well if it is unacceptable that people need help for an extremly popular add-on I agree with what you just said.

RE: Max server load limit by mad_onion on 06-09-2004 at 05:04 PM

yeah, i think that people should get help and support but im just says that reaching server limits should rare or non existent not every hour

RE: Max server load limit by Millenium_edition on 06-09-2004 at 05:07 PM

man msgplus is heavy, but look at neowin :S

RE: Max server load limit by Anubis on 06-09-2004 at 05:14 PM

Don't worry I assume it's temporary with the swarm of people signing up after the release of Mp!3 it'll subside in the not to distant future

RE: Max server load limit by Johnny_Mac on 06-09-2004 at 06:03 PM

Seen this all happen before much more so with Messenger Plus! 2 release. The siutation doesnt seem as bad this time round, (ack. wj). The only thing people can do is be patient. Clicking refresh won't help.

RE: Max server load limit by fluffy_lobster on 06-09-2004 at 07:06 PM

The number of users online this time round is about a third as small though :-/  There must be some difference with the way the forums are operating as well...

RE: Max server load limit by stonesour on 06-09-2004 at 07:51 PM

I know with ipb, you can edit one of the php files to disable the server limit message. Not necessarily A good idea, but it works :P

RE: Max server load limit by KeyStorm on 06-09-2004 at 08:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
You will be logged out after 15 minutes automatically.
It's 6 minutes (or that's what dz told me)

The limit is a number from 0 to 5 that is set in the admin panel. Iirc, this board was set to 3. The server itself is not really getting overloaded, but it could get if that index was arosen.

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
Seen this all happen before much more so with Messenger Plus! 2 release. The siutation doesnt seem as bad this time round, (ack. wj). The only thing people can do is be patient. Clicking refresh won't help.
Yeah, doesn't make any difference since you're a smod and you're not getting prompted. :dodgy:
RE: Max server load limit by Sunshine on 06-09-2004 at 09:01 PM

The auto logging out must be buggy then cuz one day i forgot to log out an when i signed into messenger the next day i was still logged in on this forum (reason why i log out myself every evening ;) ). I kept an eye on it this evenin too an i wasnt signed out automaticly.

RE: Max server load limit by reisyboy on 06-09-2004 at 09:06 PM

Well the messages will subside soon after everyone has updated their Plus! and any kinks and major bugs are fixed up it will calm down.

Maybe there should be some kind of low image usage for guests? Just an idea.

But you all know as soon as it calms down Plus!3.5 will be talked about and it will be busy again lol :)

RE: Max server load limit by paperless on 06-09-2004 at 09:42 PM

Yeah... this really sucks i hope the admins fx this soon or i will g toutta here for some weeks

RE: Max server load limit by KeyStorm on 06-09-2004 at 09:57 PM

quote:
The auto logging out must be buggy then cuz one day i forgot to log out an when i signed into messenger the next day i was still logged in on this forum (reason why i log out myself every evening ;) ). I kept an eye on it this evenin too an i wasnt signed out automaticly.
That means you're being auto-logged in. not that you remain logged in in some mystic and spiritual way while you're sleepin :P. There is an option in your User CP to disable it. ;)
RE: Max server load limit by Vantage on 06-09-2004 at 09:59 PM

Im sure it's Just Temp. we'll just have to Live with it, Join Plus!Lite it could use abit more action :P , if it will continue like this Would it be possible to have the same Msgplus Forum but on 2 diffrent servers? like:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/
http://msgplus2.mybboard.com/

If thats Possible.. 

EDIT: Sorry if that http://msgplus2.mybboard.com/  led to somewhere Normal users aren't really suppose to know about?, PM me if it's not 

RE: Max server load limit by wj on 06-09-2004 at 10:05 PM

I'm keeping an eye on it. Soon avidmotion will have a second server to help handle the load. Expect it to get alot better as of about the end of this month.

RE: Max server load limit by KeyStorm on 06-09-2004 at 10:17 PM

That's just a standard home page, Vantage. It's for all hosted boards to have lika a CP.
Or well, that's what it looks like.

RE: Max server load limit by Johnny_Mac on 06-09-2004 at 11:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
quote:

:blah: I don't click refresh I wait 5 min and re-try and STILL I can't get in :dodgy:
Don't blah at me. ^o)

I never mentioned your post, I was simply saying that click refresh won't help.
RE: Max server load limit by Wabz on 06-10-2004 at 12:47 AM

The max server load limit aint too bad for me To Be honest .  The admins have been absoulutly brilliant in keeping it to a minumum. 

I'm sure theres a lot that can be done to ensure it never happened but whats a barebones board for a community.  (I mean removing signitures avatars and some of the other unneccasery queries from the board)  Just live with it guys It hardly ever happens

RE: Max server load limit by WDZ on 06-10-2004 at 04:05 AM

quote:
As far as I know, the server is really having maximum load, and cannot be doing any more.
Well, the limit could be disabled, but at the risk of making the server unstable... it would be slow anyway...

quote:
Originally posted by stonesour
I know with ipb, you can edit one of the php files to disable the server limit message. Not necessarily A good idea, but it works :P
The limit is a good thing. Maybe not to you, but to me, and that's all that matters. :p

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
It's 6 minutes (or that's what dz told me)
Huh? Look at the index... it says "users active in the past 15 minutes." Where'd that 6 come from? :p

quote:
Originally posted by Vantage
EDIT: Sorry if that http://msgplus2.mybboard.com/  led to somewhere Normal users aren't really suppose to know about?, PM me if it's not
I dunno... it's on another server, and has nothing to do with this site, so I don't care. :p
RE: Max server load limit by wj on 06-10-2004 at 05:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
As far as I know, the server is really having maximum load, and cannot be doing any more.
Well, the limit could be disabled, but at the risk of making the server unstable... it would be slow anyway...

Besides, I'd kick WDZ's ass if the server crashed because he disabled the limit :-P
RE: Max server load limit by KeyStorm on 06-10-2004 at 07:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Huh? Look at the index... it says "users active in the past 15 minutes." Where'd that 6 come from?
You told me once that the session lasted like 6 minutes (not 15, that's the default value) until the user was flagged as idle and hence logged out. What you put on the index page doesn't need to be related to it, you could list members who were there in the last 100 minutes with a simple SQL query :refuck:
RE: Max server load limit by Choli on 06-10-2004 at 08:12 AM

Yes, the server load is a bit annoying, and it happens when I use to read the forums: about 6-8 pm GMT :S

quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion
Choli said to me that the server was very good and nothing could be done about the situation when i asked
sure? *-) I don't remember :P

about the 15 mins: That's the time the forums will say you're logged in, but in your hard disk there's a cookie that when you visit the forums the next day, you'll be shown as logged in without entering again the password. The forums don't use to log out people :P That's right, isn't it, WDZ?

RE: RE: Max server load limit by Sunshine on 06-10-2004 at 09:20 AM

quote:
quote:
That means you're being auto-logged in. not that you remain logged in in some mystic and spiritual way while you're sleepin :P. There is an option in your User CP to disable it. ;)

LOL @ spiritual
I still don't understand why it logs me off at times an at other times it doesnt :( ahh well i'll have a looksie in my user cp :D
RE: Max server load limit by mad_onion on 06-10-2004 at 05:06 PM

oh sorry choli it might not have been you but it was a official member who knows about the server. The person did say that the server was very good

RE: Max server load limit by Millenium_edition on 06-10-2004 at 05:14 PM

disable avatar/signaturs? that's stupid :( because then how do you recognize the person :blink: ?

RE: RE: Max server load limit by Sunshine on 06-10-2004 at 05:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
disable avatar/signaturs? that's stupid :( because then how do you recognize the person :blink: ?

Lmao, the name will still be shown. Anyways, disabling signatures and avatars will make the page load faster (u can disable em in user cp)...but it won't help decrease the serverload cuz serverload is all about how many ppl are on the site at the same time.
RE: Max server load limit by Johnny_Mac on 06-10-2004 at 05:56 PM

I agree with the disabling of avatars and sigs btw... Waste of space. :rolleyes:

RE: Max server load limit by Millenium_edition on 06-10-2004 at 06:08 PM

quote:
I agree with the disabling of avatars and sigs btw... Waste of space. :rolleyes:
of course, all you say is woof. with a little cat, doesn't matter in that case, but i can't recognize keystorm if he hasn't got his avatar =/
it's like disabling fonts on msn
RE: Max server load limit by KeyStorm on 06-10-2004 at 07:47 PM

Wtf are you talking about? Most avatars (well, most of the most-posting members, I think) are stored outside the server, so they don't waste its resources :P.
But I agree that members should be forced to use extern avatars. Even someone really kind could store the default ones. :rolleyes:

RE: Max server load limit by Concord Dawn on 06-11-2004 at 01:13 AM

Yes, but then forcing external avatars would mean that the originality would go down the drain. Also, people would try to upload avatars more. I think that code optimizations would be the real key, if there are any that could be done.

RE: Max server load limit by WDZ on 06-11-2004 at 03:41 AM

quote:
You told me once that the session lasted like 6 minutes
No I didn't. :)

quote:
not 15, that's the default value
And it's what we still use.

quote:
What you put on the index page doesn't need to be related to it
Yeah, but it IS related. The same setting is used...
RE: Max server load limit by dotNorma on 06-11-2004 at 03:57 AM

The disableing of signatures is something I could put up with. (y)

Signatures are really just pretty pointless anyway. But Avatars help recognize people abit in my opinion.

quote:
of course, all you say is woof. with a little cat, doesn't matter in that case,

What the heck are you talking about....

RE: Max server load limit by KeyStorm on 06-11-2004 at 06:38 AM

K, boss. :-/

Edit:

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton in [url
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=22492&pid=213289#pid213289]But[/url] then that brings up another problem, like WDZ said.. You wont receive a notification if you close your browser. You will only receive that notification 6 minutes after you last visited and there may be more posts inbetween that time.

That was the misleading post :P
RE: Max server load limit by Millenium_edition on 06-11-2004 at 11:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NoName
quote:
of course, all you say is woof. with a little cat, doesn't matter in that case,

What the heck are you talking about....
Johnny_mac's avatar =/
RE: Max server load limit by fluffy_lobster on 06-11-2004 at 01:16 PM

I'd have thought disabling attachments would save quite a lot of load.  Anyone thought of that?

RE: Max server load limit by Johnny_Mac on 06-11-2004 at 05:46 PM

Probably :P

But having that facility is useful. Old attachments are pruned also I think, so only newer topics will have attachments in.

RE: Max server load limit by Millenium_edition on 06-11-2004 at 06:04 PM

i agreee on the attachements stuff. just get a decent web host. =/

RE: RE: Max server load limit by Sunshine on 06-11-2004 at 06:24 PM

quote:

I disagree, not everybody has a website or knows someone who can put it on for em temp. How are ppl supposed ta post screenies bout there probs if theres no attachment facility? Maybe just disable that facility for T&T an only alow it in helpthreads?
RE: Max server load limit by wj on 06-11-2004 at 08:12 PM

quote:

Decent webhost my rear. Go suck a lemmon or start your own webhosting company before you start talkin.
RE: Max server load limit by CookieRevised on 06-12-2004 at 12:19 AM

IMO, the new skin isn't a good thing to the server-load. Sure the images are small. But multiply that by the hundreds of visitors each time and it is a big deal I suppose.

RE: Max server load limit by kao on 06-12-2004 at 12:40 AM

the older skin loads faster for me anyway, so i use it instead :undecided:

RE: Max server load limit by surfichris on 06-12-2004 at 07:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by fluffy_lobster
I'd have thought disabling attachments would save quite a lot of load.  Anyone thought of that?
Not really, because attachments are stored in the database, there is no real load increase with them..

When you upload an attachment it is essentially the same as making a really really long post which has to be submitted to the script.

Same applies for the images and skin, they do not put any really significant load on the server because they are just sent straight to the browser whereas the php scripts have to be parsed.

quote:
Get a decent life. Wj spends alot of time making sure these forums are running and his server is fine, and he does it for FREE.
RE: Max server load limit by WDZ on 06-12-2004 at 08:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
Decent webhost my rear. Go suck a lemmon or start your own webhosting company before you start talkin.
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Get a decent life. Wj spends alot of time making sure these forums are running and his server is fine, and he does it for FREE.
Uhh... I thought Millenium_edition was telling people to get their own decent web hosts instead of taking advantage of ours... :-/ But what do I know? :P
RE: Max server load limit by surfichris on 06-12-2004 at 08:07 AM

Sounded more like he was telling you to get a decent web host for these forums... Dunno how you interpretted it how you did :-/

RE: Max server load limit by fluffy_lobster on 06-12-2004 at 09:18 AM

looking again at the post i think wdz was right tbh...

i wasn't suggesting deleting the attachments table, just temporarily disabling showing/uploading attachments, as handling large files like that must be pretty hard on the server compared to the size of posts.  if it doesn't account for much load though, that's fair enough

RE: RE: Max server load limit by Sunshine on 06-12-2004 at 09:28 AM

quote:
Sounded more like he was telling you to get a decent web host for these forums... Dunno how you interpretted it how you did :-/

If u read from a few posts up u'll see it was about disabling the attachmentfacility..and therefor he was saying ppl should find a host to store their attachments if they wanna include one so it would take off severload for this forum.

Imo this is a bad idea since not everybody has a website (host) or a friend who can put up an attachment for them. The possibility must remain for ppl to post (attach) screenies bout their probs.

Still disabling stuff like that or removing avatars or signatures will not help decrease the serverload, all it will do is make it load up faster on userend. The prob lies in the ammount of ppl that are on the forum at the same time. The only solution is to increase that limit (Server-/webhost side).
RE: Max server load limit by surfichris on 06-12-2004 at 09:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by fluffy_lobster
i wasn't suggesting deleting the attachments table, just temporarily disabling showing/uploading attachments, as handling large files like that must be pretty hard on the server compared to the size of posts.  if it doesn't account for much load though, that's fair enough
It probably takes more load for you to be viewing this page than actually downloading or uploading an attachment ;)

quote:
Still disabling stuff like that or removing avatars or signatures will not help increase the serverload, all it will do is make it load up faster on userend. The prob lies in the ammount of ppl that are on the forum at the same time. The only solution is to increase that limit (Serverhost side).
You cant really increase the limit to more than it is already set. The server is not designed to handle high loads and this is why this limit is set, to prevent server failures. Server loads are calculated so that if the load on a crappy server (eg 233mhz) is 1.17, on a higher scale server (say 2.3ghz) the load is still 1.17. Its a caluclation of the running processes and the drain these processes place on the CPU.

Its hard to explain why these things dont place a high load on CPU, but they dont as internal testing (stress testing) has shown me..
RE: Max server load limit by Millenium_edition on 06-12-2004 at 12:11 PM

don't feel offended - i was talking about the visitors, because I know msgplus has a decent host ;)
there is actually nothing you can do about it, unfortunately, because you will always get lots of visitors. if you remove the limit, people will stay instead of leaving, and then you're off again =/

RE: Max server load limit by paperless on 06-12-2004 at 11:04 PM

So.. people lets resume all thsis posts..
Whats is going to be done? - This question is for you admins ;)

RE: Max server load limit by Choli on 06-12-2004 at 11:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PT_KiD
Whats is going to be done? - This question is for you admins
May I answer in their name: Nothing. Just wait some days until people don't come so often to the forums. This is happening because the new release of Plus 3 and it's a temporal thing.

Admins: Correct me if I'm wrong :P
RE: Max server load limit by surfichris on 06-12-2004 at 11:16 PM

I would partially agree with Choli.. The other thing to do would be for people to stop spamming, even in testing and trashing..

RE: Max server load limit by Choli on 06-12-2004 at 11:20 PM

quote:
The other thing to do would be for people to stop spamming, even in testing and trashing..
so much load is generated with the T&T posts? I agree that the less spam the less server load, but I see T&T as spammy as always (not more not less) so the posts in T&T "doesn't count". Of course, spam outside T&T is a thing that should be avoided by we all.
RE: Max server load limit by .blade// on 06-14-2004 at 10:04 PM

I think that the new theme eats up too much bandwidth, and that people need to post less useless info. also: I think that it would be wise to start encouraging people to host as many avitars and attachments as possible on OUTSIDE servers.

RE: Max server load limit by surfichris on 06-14-2004 at 10:09 PM

Bandwidth is not Server load, necessarily speaking.

This has all been discussed before over and over so i am closing this topic, as like you said, its pointless to post useless info :)