Shoutbox

Server load suggestion. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Server load suggestion. (/showthread.php?tid=27157)

Server load suggestion. by matty on 06-13-2004 at 05:25 PM

This message is really starting to get annoying. I personally think that people with post counts greater then 1000 should be able to bypass the limit, reason for that is because these people actually help and prove their loyalty by posting lots.

Thats just my suggestion and I think it should be considered. And its not like most of the board has 1000+ posts there is <40 with 1000+ posts.

RE: Server load suggestion. by RebelSean on 06-13-2004 at 05:46 PM

That would be a good idea but then, what if the new people who come here for help don't get threw the bypass...Sorta a gift for the uper classmen  lol :D

RE: Server load suggestion. by toddy on 06-13-2004 at 05:50 PM

what about people that have just joined tho and give alot of help ??

[edit]
if u they where going to do something like this, wouldn't it be better to involve the posts per day rather than total posts. e.g. have it so that people with more than 5 posts per day are able to bypass it.  This would be a better reflection of who gives a lot of help

RE: Server load suggestion. by CookieRevised on 06-13-2004 at 06:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
what about people that have just joined tho and give alot of help ??

[edit]
if u they where going to do something like this, wouldn't it be better to involve the posts per day rather than total posts. e.g. have it so that people with more than 5 posts per day are able to bypass it.  This would be a better reflection of who gives a lot of help
who SPAM you mean :@

RE: Server load suggestion. by Anubis on 06-13-2004 at 06:37 PM

I'd give it to people with 1-5 posts as well...due to the fact that they most likely want help...however I'm not sure how possible it is with myBB coding...if it is implemented I'll be on 1000 posts by then anyway so I don't care :refuck:

RE: Server load suggestion. by toddy on 06-13-2004 at 06:38 PM

well suppose some of them would be people who spam, but so could people with over 1000 posts.

RE: Server load suggestion. by Sunshine on 06-13-2004 at 07:10 PM

Do i not help? Do i spam?
I do help out lots, and i do not spam (that's why my postcount isnt that high).

I would be cut off too then, unfair isnt it? How are the ppl wanting help be able ta post, ever think of that?

:blah: at that idea :@

RE: Server load suggestion. by tomfletcherman on 06-13-2004 at 07:16 PM

Has anyone suggested a mirror yet? Surely theres a server that could mirror the forums temporarily?

RE: Server load suggestion. by toddy on 06-13-2004 at 07:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tomfletcherman
Has anyone suggested a mirror yet? Surely theres a server that could mirror the forums temporarily?
sounds like a good idea, if it can be done
RE: Server load suggestion. by Vantage on 06-13-2004 at 10:07 PM

Yeah but then the ppl that needed help wouldn't be able to get on cuz ur filling up the server

RE: Server load suggestion. by wj on 06-13-2004 at 10:19 PM

How about this, the forums are moving to a bigger and better server at the end of the month, so why bother changing anything :-P

RE: Server load suggestion. by Omar on 06-13-2004 at 10:28 PM

Agreed,

:bow: wj :bow:

RE: Server load suggestion. by lylesback2 on 06-13-2004 at 10:40 PM

hmmm... i dont see anyway around it really tho.  it's gonna be like this for a few weeks... only way i know is change the forum images from jpg to gif... so it reduces some bandwith limits

RE: Server load suggestion. by surfichris on 06-13-2004 at 11:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
This message is really starting to get annoying. I personally think that people with post counts greater then 1000 should be able to bypass the limit, reason for that is because these people actually help and prove their loyalty by posting lots.

Thats just my suggestion and I think it should be considered. And its not like most of the board has 1000+ posts there is <40 with 1000+ posts.

This same situation was discussed for ELite members and the answer was still no because it will not help decrease the load, just increase it further. The whole point of the message is to limit the forum to a minimal amount of people so the server can return to normal operations.

RE: Server load suggestion. by paperless on 06-14-2004 at 12:55 AM

So.. the only solution is.. tchanan.. get a bigger capacity server.

RE: RE: Server load suggestion. by Guido on 06-14-2004 at 01:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lylesback2
hmmm... i dont see anyway around it really tho.  it's gonna be like this for a few weeks... only way i know is change the forum images from jpg to gif... so it reduces some bandwith limits
err...
  1. the problem is not bandwidth, it's server load.
  2. images are cached once per person, they are not loaded anymore once the person has visited this site.
  3. the images that are used here would be either much bigger or much uglier in jpg. Only those who really are better in size are saved in that format, which is only suitable for big photos with not much detail, not for web graphics like the ones here.[/list]

RE: Server load suggestion. by illuzn on 06-14-2004 at 02:24 AM

New server woot woot :bow:

<suggestion>
As a temporary fix why not allow limit the amount of simultaneous connections so that you can only view one thread at a time and when that thread has finished loading you can open the next and so on
</suggestion>

RE: Server load suggestion. by lylesback2 on 06-14-2004 at 02:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
the problem is not bandwidth, it's server load.

images are cached once per person, they are not loaded anymore once the person has visited this site.

the images that are used here would be either much bigger or much uglier in jpg. Only those who really are better in size are saved in that format, which is only suitable for big photos with not much detail, not for web graphics like the ones here.
i like the list format :P

anyways, if moving to a new server soon... no need to change anything, aslong as it doesn't effect my posts :P