Shoutbox

Messenger-Skins Forum skin - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Messenger-Skins Forum skin (/showthread.php?tid=27173)

Messenger-Skins Forum skin by Guido on 06-14-2004 at 01:48 AM

Is it me or they just stole the background images from msgplus.myboard.com and plugins.msgplus.net, changed their color, and put them into their skin?

Same for the copyright image at the bottom, they even copied the CSS from this skin: look at the extra padding on the left.

quote:
Theme Design by Shady and Martini
:rolleyes:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=262981]

http://www.messenger-skins.net/

Nice guys, eh... :^)

Sorry, but if you do this kind of stuff, don't say you've "worked hard for about a week" to make a good skin for a site.

Shady and Martini didn't just copy the concept or idea, but duplicated the actual image files and css code...

I'm just asking that they don't take credit for something they didn't do, I'm not implying that this is the biggest piece of design ever made or anything.
RE: Messenger-Skins Forum skin by ddunk on 06-14-2004 at 01:59 AM

The descriptions of the forums are really close too... :undecided:

RE: Messenger-Skins Forum skin by anonymousjon on 06-14-2004 at 02:23 AM

They did actually "work hard for about a week". Even if they have used the backgrounds from here (i dont know if they did or didnt) its not as if they are identicle, the very basics, like the gradient, but thats about it.

I think maybe your exagerating this a little.

RE: Messenger-Skins Forum skin by Guido on 06-14-2004 at 02:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by anonymousjon
They did actually "work hard for about a week". Even if they have used the backgrounds from here (i dont know if they did or didnt) its not as if they are identicle, the very basics, like the gradient, but thats about it.

I think maybe your exagerating this a little.
Apart from changing the colors and copying this forum's images, they didn't change anything else. They didn't copy the idea or the basic concept, they copied the files and the exact html code.

And they took credit for that. Otherwise I wouldn't mind.
RE: Messenger-Skins Forum skin by anonymousjon on 06-14-2004 at 02:34 AM

apart from the background images, which other images have been "copied"?

RE: Messenger-Skins Forum skin by Guido on 06-14-2004 at 02:39 AM

quote:
apart from the background images, which other images have been "copied"?
The td background images, the copyright background image, the + and - images (which are from Luna's msstyle), the html code for the copyright area and the css code.

Why is copied in quotes? Did I miss something, wasn't this "copied" and stamped as work of other person without permission?

Apart from the stuff mentioned above and the top left logo (which of course wasn't copied because it's about the site) there's nothing more to make a theme. So, basically, a big part of the theme was copied and branded as made by someone else.
RE: Messenger-Skins Forum skin by anonymousjon on 06-14-2004 at 02:43 AM

well im only the newsposter, i will speak to martini and shady when i can, and see what they say.

RE: Messenger-Skins Forum skin by Guido on 06-14-2004 at 02:47 AM

quote:
well im only the newsposter, i will speak to martini and shady when i can, and see what they say.
Thanks.

I'd have no problem if they'd asked me (I know shady and talk frequently with him), but using others' work like this without even mentioning your "inspiration" is not very nice.
RE: Messenger-Skins Forum skin by anonymousjon on 06-14-2004 at 02:49 AM

ok, well I hope things can be sorted out.

RE: Messenger-Skins Forum skin by Daniel on 06-14-2004 at 04:45 AM

we didnt rip anything from your skin guido everything was designed and coded by ourselves but i will put a link for you at the bottom if you like to signify that you did come up with the skin concept

RE: Messenger-Skins Forum skin by WDZ on 06-14-2004 at 04:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Shady
we didnt rip anything from your skin guido everything was designed and coded by ourselves
http://www.messenger-skins.net/skinv2.css ?!?!

How can that NOT be a copy/paste? :P

Maybe if it was generated by a program, the same program Guido used, but I still doubt it would be that similar.

:blah:
RE: Messenger-Skins Forum skin by surfichris on 06-14-2004 at 11:03 AM

I would have to agree with WDZ there.. The skin (especially the CSS) looks more copied than inspired.

Its amazing that EVEN the lists are styled exactly the same using the exact same CSS to apply them for an inspired design.

RE: Messenger-Skins Forum skin by fluffy_lobster on 06-14-2004 at 11:12 AM

On the bright side, it could be worse.  A n00b friend of mine not only copied the headers of one of my sites with a few colour changes, but they also copied the meta keywords/description that was in it :-/

I don't think you can claim the design to gradiented table backgrounds, but copying stuff direct is a different matter.  Does look kinda lame now, admitting that at the bottom of the page as well.

RE: Messenger-Skins Forum skin by Daniel on 06-14-2004 at 11:14 AM

i will talk to martini about it. i left all the css up to him. :dodgy:

RE: Messenger-Skins Forum skin by Guido on 06-14-2004 at 07:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fluffy_lobster
I don't think you can claim the design to gradiented table backgrounds, but copying stuff direct is a different matter.  Does look kinda lame now, admitting that at the bottom of the page as well.
They didn't do gradiented table backgrounds, they copied the bg files! :P And I didn't invent gradients originally anyway, just made an effect with them...

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Maybe if it was generated by a program, the same program Guido used, but I still doubt it would be that similar.
It wasn't generated by a program, I hand coded it.
RE: Messenger-Skins Forum skin by fluffy_lobster on 06-14-2004 at 07:17 PM

Yeah... i only just noticed how identical the bottom was... you don't imitate that so closely by inspiration lol they're bloody identical (minus the plus logo ;))

I also had a look at the CSS and look :P  The third one is the standard mybb stylesheet for comparison (called untitled because mybb doesn't use a stylesheet file)

RE: Messenger-Skins Forum skin by Stigmata on 06-14-2004 at 07:32 PM

could just be that you are both using mybboards :S

maybe thats a shot in the dark :)

RE: Messenger-Skins Forum skin by surfichris on 06-14-2004 at 09:53 PM

Thats part of it but the style id's such as #copyright asd well as the general parts of the CVSS are exactly the same.. Conincidence or not? o_O

RE: Messenger-Skins Forum skin by Daniel on 06-15-2004 at 06:12 AM

i have had a talk to martini about his sources for the css .. atm the footer is being remade and the css is being hand coded from scratch :undecided:

im sorry for any in convenience martini and i have put anybody through.

RE: Messenger-Skins Forum skin by fluffy_lobster on 06-15-2004 at 03:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jackass_wanabe
could just be that you are both using mybboards :S

maybe thats a shot in the dark :)
Did you look at the two css sheets compared to the mybb one? :P

RE: Messenger-Skins Forum skin by user2319 on 06-15-2004 at 06:52 PM

What's the CSS for Guido's Theme?

RE: Messenger-Skins Forum skin by Tochjo on 06-15-2004 at 06:56 PM

There's a file http://shoutbox.menthix.net/mp3me.css :)

RE: Messenger-Skins Forum skin by fluffy_lobster on 06-16-2004 at 08:54 AM

I showed the comparison between the three here 8-)