Shoutbox

Do you use themes? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Do you use themes? (/showthread.php?tid=27180)

Do you use themes? by illuzn on 06-14-2004 at 06:40 AM

Hi guys just wondering if you theme or customise your windows xp/2003 beyond its original settings

RE: Do you use themes? by ddunk on 06-14-2004 at 06:46 AM

Yep, I use StyleXP. Nice program, I didn't really like WindowsBlinds when I used it.

RE: Do you use themes? by Kryptonate on 06-14-2004 at 07:11 AM

I use a modified uxtheme.dll, not Style XP. The program won't uninstall completely so you can re-use it :(.

RE: Do you use themes? by illuzn on 06-14-2004 at 07:36 AM

For those using uxtheme.dll what theme do you use? I'm using Plex M6 (New taskbar) its a longhorn type theme

RE: Do you use themes? by Kryptonate on 06-14-2004 at 09:12 AM

I use a visual style called GloWorm

RE: Do you use themes? by Batiu-Drami on 06-14-2004 at 10:10 AM

I use panther from Style XP (I actually use a patched uxtheme.dll, but I used to have Style XP installed, so I kept the theme)

RE: Do you use themes? by Novex on 06-14-2004 at 10:19 AM

I used the Neowin uxtheme.dll patch with a few of their themes.. I alternate every so often when I get bored but the most popular I use are Watercolor Lite, GloWorm, b0seClass and Luna VX :)

RE: Do you use themes? by bach_m on 06-14-2004 at 10:57 AM

i have a patched uxtheme.dll, and am currently running Milk 2.0

RE: Do you use themes? by Varish on 06-14-2004 at 11:15 AM

Ha, I always use different themes, i even use a different theme on my smartphone. :D

RE: Do you use themes? by Choli on 06-14-2004 at 11:49 AM

I use one of the original themes. I like it and maybe i'm too lazy to search a new theme and change it :P

RE: Do you use themes? by st0rm on 06-14-2004 at 11:51 AM

wellz i dont have xp on my comp at home cuz my dad hates it, but my aunty does, an i have my own account on her comp, an i use themes on it, i use PhenomRed wit styleXP an my aunty uses Gucci or Coughdrop wit styleXP

RE: Do you use themes? by sparkymcg on 06-14-2004 at 03:12 PM

i just like the default theme that comes with XP.  When i got windows blinds it only changed my theme one time then when i tried to change it again it looked like windows 95 theme so i uninstalled it

If you have a theme do u mind sending in a screenshot of it here and where u got it from(thats if you remember)

RE: Do you use themes? by Pipish on 06-15-2004 at 04:55 AM

i used to use windowblinds but i got rid of it

RE: Do you use themes? by chris on 06-15-2004 at 05:01 AM

what does uxtheme.dll do? i have it and styleXP but i dont really know what uxtheme.dll does

RE: Do you use themes? by Eljay on 06-15-2004 at 06:43 AM

just wondering is there a mesenger plus! theme for windows XP as that would be great ;)

RE: Do you use themes? by illuzn on 06-15-2004 at 11:18 AM

uxtheme.dll allows you to use themes in windows xp that aren't certified by microsoft i'll paste my screenie once I get home

RE: Do you use themes? by Garndell on 06-15-2004 at 07:59 PM

I am waiting for a "proper" theme pack to come out, I really cba to mess around with DLL's again or programs that bugger up your Registry every 2 seconds.

RE: Do you use themes? by Pyroteq on 06-21-2004 at 11:44 AM

I dont use XP, i hate the sh_t.
I use ME but i tried WindowsBlinds and didnt like it, so its gooone i just used a theme i downloaded from a website with some custom icons, sounds, and screensavers e.t.c It was Lambo Diablo GT theme. I've mixed that with my own colours, red text on black with dark/light fadeing green title bar or red for inactive and some other colours, then im using the Diablo2 theme cursors.

I mixed them because i didnt like all of each theme...its working great, i love the GT sounds.

RE: RE: Do you use themes? by ceramic_spider on 06-21-2004 at 12:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Scone
I dont use XP, i hate the sh_t.
I use ME
Did you just say you like Windows ME better than XP? Get Windows 2000 if you don't like XP not ME.
RE: Do you use themes? by Pyroteq on 06-21-2004 at 12:34 PM

No idea i just typed it out like that, ill think more next time, soz. i like ME better than 2000, after all ME is 2000 with a few rings n bells here n there

RE: Do you use themes? by Choli on 06-21-2004 at 08:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Scone
after all ME is 2000 with a few rings n bells here n there
you're complety wrong there... ME is 98 SE with the look (and only the look, no features) of 2000 and without the msdos layer, what makes it very crappy.

If I were you, I'd take 2000 (supposing you don't like XP).
RE: Do you use themes? by illuzn on 06-23-2004 at 12:31 AM

Go windows 2003.... ;) crash proof... well almost i've crashed it once but that was my fault... i used ME once blue screen every hour or so... dodgy and a half.. when i migrated to 2000 it was like a godsend

RE: Do you use themes? by Pyroteq on 06-28-2004 at 08:03 AM

I've had a blue screen of death only once on my ME, moving to 2000 would pretty much mean loosing all my stuff so atm im happy with ME but on my new computer its obviously going to come with XP so im guna just have to get used to it. Whats the new windows and whens it coming..?

RE: Do you use themes? by illuzn on 06-28-2004 at 08:21 AM

Well the newest official windows is Windows 2003 which is a beefed up XP with functions such as Enhanced Internet Explorer Security. However the next version that is coming is the almighty Longhorn which in its current specifications looks to be a monster of an OS (its a resource hog) but then again so were the beta Whistlers...

RE: Do you use themes? by user27089 on 06-28-2004 at 10:58 AM

i like the mac themes.. they look professional and plain.. i think they're wicked

RE: Do you use themes? by Kryptonate on 06-28-2004 at 12:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by illuzn
Well the newest official windows is Windows 2003 which is a beefed up XP with functions such as Enhanced Internet Explorer Security. However the next version that is coming is the almighty Longhorn which in its current specifications looks to be a monster of an OS (its a resource hog) but then again so were the beta Whistlers...

Windows Server 2003 ;). It's not meant for desktop usage.
RE: Do you use themes? by illuzn on 06-29-2004 at 12:04 AM

lol soooooorry Kryptonate... imma not perfect eehehe
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise edition is what i've got... no idea what the differences between versions are though....
On another note any clue as to how to get longhorns sidebar? I've tried two alternatives... a active desktop thingo.. and desktop sidebar... both are buggy...

RE: RE: Do you use themes? by belluso_316 on 06-29-2004 at 03:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by illuzn
lol soooooorry Kryptonate... imma not perfect eehehe
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise edition is what i've got... no idea what the differences between versions are though....
On another note any clue as to how to get longhorns sidebar? I've tried two alternatives... a active desktop thingo.. and desktop sidebar... both are buggy...

have you try smartbar XP  i use that one for side bar and it works prety good, its version 4.9 beta it almost reach version 1.0 and have a lot of things to customises(Y)  i love it(H)
RE: Do you use themes? by sasquatch on 07-15-2004 at 08:12 AM

i use the windows blinds + desktop x + object bar combo to make my PC look like my macs :)

RE: Do you use themes? by Martijn. on 07-15-2004 at 10:10 AM

I'm using a "Winamp 5" skin I found someshere on www.themexp.org, I changed it a bit because there were a few things I didn't like;)

RE: Do you use themes? by M-Head on 07-15-2004 at 10:42 AM

I've gone from WindowBlinds to uxtheme.dll patch to WindowBlinds again.

There are an absolute multitude of skins for uxtheme, which is both a good and a bad thing.

I'm currently using WindowBlinds. This is however only because of the DogmaX skin, which is lovely. Tripled with the fact that WindowBlinds is becoming more resource-friendly than the Themes service in XP (which is what allows Visual Styles) and the extra things you can do in WindowBlinds (rollup windows, minimise to system tray, skin MSDos windows, blah blah blah) it makes it better for me.

Oh, and I just remembered that with WindowBlinds 4.3 and a skin that provides (or a mixture of everything) you can skin the logoff prompt (XP), Explorer toolbars, file animations (delete to recycle bin, hard delete, move, copy, download in IE).

I recommend to anyone who has had not-so-good experiences with WindowBlinds in the past to try 4.3 - it's improving all the time!

RE: Do you use themes? by ~INVASION~ on 07-15-2004 at 11:36 AM

i used style xp but i redid my windows and just havnt bothered to get it again:P

RE: Do you use themes? by Guido on 07-15-2004 at 02:42 PM

I use a patched uxtheme.dll, and although I like a lot the default Luna styles (I'm using that right now in fact), I have like 40 themes installed and switch very frequently.

RE: Do you use themes? by lopardo on 07-15-2004 at 04:57 PM

I use a patched uxtheme.dll and I have a lot of visual styles, but right now I'm using the classic theme while I reorganize my files and delete crap. :)

RE: Do you use themes? by JaymachRalTir on 07-15-2004 at 05:35 PM

Personally I'm very fond of my DarkTemple theme for WindowBlinds :) I've actually noticed that my PC goes faster when I'm using WindowBlinds, which at first I thought was odd, but learned to just accept, and thank the program for it :). Not that I'm saying WindowBlinds is faster than anything else, I'm sure I coulda messed around with a lot of settings in the default XP look and made it a lot faster but, well, I'm laxy ;). Anyway, as someone requested that we link to our themes....here's an example of mine, though that's not a shot of my desktop, just the example your given before you download it :)