Shoutbox

Download Manager Plugin - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Download Manager Plugin (/showthread.php?tid=27366)

Download Manager Plugin by allex87 on 06-18-2004 at 10:34 AM

I know there was a lot of talk about this in the beginning of msgplus plugins.  I am not sure if it was implemented.

Anyways, I will implement it, or try to. Any help would be highly appreciated. The programming will be done in C#.

Alex.

RE: Download Manager Plugin by Dempsey on 06-18-2004 at 10:36 AM

do you mean a plugin that shows what your currently downloading in programs like Kazaa?

RE: Download Manager Plugin by Stigmata on 06-18-2004 at 11:05 AM

tb has done a kazaa one before, but he didnt realise it

RE: Download Manager Plugin by Dempsey on 06-18-2004 at 11:09 AM

yea thats why i asked if thats what allex87 meant.

i started a plugin a while ago that lists current downloads in GetRight and stuff, but i got bored and didnt finish it

RE: Download Manager Plugin by allex87 on 06-18-2004 at 09:28 PM

No, what I actually want to do is make a plugin that actually does the upload/download through a better protocol than MSN's protocol, maybe with zlib compression. Anyways, it will try to be fast with or without firewall on.

Of course it will have to use a ping-type check to see whether the other user has the plugin. If they have it, upload using its own protocol, if not, use MSN basic transfer.

I am currently thinking whether it should be done in C++ or C#...

Is anyone willing to give some ideas, or does anyone want to help on this?

Thanks for the feedback,
~Alex.

RE: Download Manager Plugin by MC Inferno on 06-18-2004 at 10:50 PM

Add the idea of re-starting where a download was interrupted if poss. This would be great.

RE: RE: Download Manager Plugin by allex87 on 06-19-2004 at 02:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
quote:
Originally posted by allex87
No, what I actually want to do is make a plugin that actually does the upload/download through a better protocol than MSN's protocol, maybe with zlib compression. Anyways, it will try to be fast with or without firewall on.

Of course it will have to use a ping-type check to see whether the other user has the plugin. If they have it, upload using its own protocol, if not, use MSN basic transfer.

I am currently thinking whether it should be done in C++ or C#...

Is anyone willing to give some ideas, or does anyone want to help on this?

Thanks for the feedback,
~Alex.

C# or C++? Is it really that much of a choice?
You said you wanted it to be fast... then use C++ :P
Besides, I thought zlib is only available for C/C++ ?

when i said fast i was reffering to fast transfer speeds, C# can be fast as well..

However, I have decided to use C++ ;)

I made myself a plugin installer tonight.

I will definitely add a resume function at some point in time. First i have to get this thing working.

If anyone wants to help, they are most certainly welcome. I do not know Windows Sockets programming *yet*, but I will have to learn it...

~Alex.
RE: Download Manager Plugin by allex87 on 06-19-2004 at 02:10 PM

OK, so far I managed to get this done: integration with zlib 1.1.4. 1.2.1 did not work for some reason, i am getting link errors, undefined symbols. works fine with 1.1.4.

Now i have to figure out how to do file transfers through WinSock.

Question: which WinSock to use 1.1 or 2?

~Alex.

RE: Download Manager Plugin by Concord Dawn on 06-19-2004 at 02:44 PM

Whatever works best. :P

You're going to also have to decide how to integrate this into messenger.

RE: Download Manager Plugin by Millenium_edition on 06-19-2004 at 03:05 PM

i suggest the receivenotify and commands for messenger plus! plugins ;)

RE: Download Manager Plugin by allex87 on 06-20-2004 at 02:39 AM

For starters, I will make a plugin command /xdmsend or something that opens a file open dialog and sends the file. After I have a working transfer I will, maybe, make it so that when u click on send file or when a file is sent is msn messenger you will get the custom download manager or something.

Well, good news! I figured out how to do file transfers and communicate between server/client sockets ;)

Now, IMHO I should include some error-checking mechanism (CRC, MD5, SVF, or something else). Which one to use?

~Alex.

RE: Download Manager Plugin by Concord Dawn on 06-20-2004 at 09:50 PM

Again, which ever works best, although I think that CRC might be the easiest. Good job so far.

RE: Download Manager Plugin by NeoRevan on 06-20-2004 at 10:14 PM

I just want to say that this sounds like an awesome plugin, and I will tell as many of my friends as possible about it when its done.
Im amazed over how far you have gotten in the making of this, alex.
You are, IMHO, a very talented programmer. I foresee your plugin(s ) and future projects will kick some good and fat ass. :)

I think I speak for just about everybody when I say "Good Luck!(Y)"

RE: Download Manager Plugin by Concord Dawn on 06-20-2004 at 10:25 PM

You don't speak for me! I say "Good job!" :P. Anyways, if you want I can test for you.

RE: Download Manager Plugin by allex87 on 06-21-2004 at 02:36 AM

Thanks for the replies... :)

The plugin is not yet in a working stage. I need to implement a download manager dialog with the transfers...

Anyways I've got some help  from a friend on the net.. :D

I have one more exam on Monday in Spanish, then I can work on this a lot more ;)

For error-checking, I wil use zlib's error checking mechanism Adler32. CRC32 didn't work for some weird reason - crashed the whole thing so i dumped it. Works fine with Adler32. They are similar anyways...

EDIT: Also, CRC and Adler32 both generate 8-byte checksums, while MD5 generates 32-byte checksums. So, the "useless" data sent is kept to a minimum.

I will try to make the protocol AS SIMPLE as possible so that file transfers are AS FAST as possible. When I have a more detailed protocol description I will post it and request comments/improvements.

~Alex.

RE: Download Manager Plugin by allex87 on 06-21-2004 at 11:54 PM

Development is going on nicely...

Working on the Server now. It will be a multi-threaded server (u want more than 1 file-transfer at one time right? :P). If everything works as planned, it should be done in 1 week maybe?

Question for people that know winsocks:
If my socket listens on say port 1234, can it connect to more than 1 computer at the same time through the same port? Eg. do my server threads have to use mutexes so that only one server thread can send/receive data at a time?

~Alex.

RE: Download Manager Plugin by Concord Dawn on 06-22-2004 at 12:24 AM

Good job, sounds like your working hard.

RE: Download Manager Plugin by Ezra on 06-22-2004 at 07:38 AM

I can't wait!

RE: RE: Download Manager Plugin by Martijn. on 06-22-2004 at 10:28 AM

quote:
If my socket listens on say port 1234, can it connect to more than 1 computer at the same time through the same port? Eg. do my server threads have to use mutexes so that only one server thread can send/receive data at a time?

Don't flame me for being wrong:dodgy:, but I think you can only one connection for a port... (In other words, you can't connect to more than one computer using just one port)

BTW, this is going to be a great plugin:)
RE: Download Manager Plugin by Millenium_edition on 06-22-2004 at 11:58 AM

quote:

set the remoteport and localport of the new sock to 0, then accept it. you'll be able to have more connections ;)
that's how you can in VB
RE: Download Manager Plugin by -dt- on 06-22-2004 at 12:35 PM

hes not doing it in vb

RE: Download Manager Plugin by Millenium_edition on 06-22-2004 at 02:58 PM

that's why I specified. this might work in c++ too or whatever language he uses ;)

RE: Download Manager Plugin by Ezra on 06-24-2004 at 12:11 PM

How is the plugin going?

RE: Download Manager Plugin by allex87 on 06-24-2004 at 06:39 PM

Going good.

TheBlasphemer,
Thanks for tip! found it!

RE: Download Manager Plugin by Ezra on 06-25-2004 at 04:36 PM

When will it be ready?

RE: Download Manager Plugin by aNILEator on 06-25-2004 at 05:33 PM

errrm why do you want a download manager in MSN messenger??? surely download managers are for website downloads

RE: Download Manager Plugin by saralk on 06-25-2004 at 06:05 PM

its so u can see everything that is being transferred and transfer large files with ease, i.e. by pausing them

RE: Download Manager Plugin by Ezra on 06-25-2004 at 06:52 PM

And transfers will be much faster

RE: Download Manager Plugin by allex87 on 07-03-2004 at 11:27 PM

:( Unfortunately I haven't had enough time to work on this the last weeks and tomorrow I am leaving for about a month.

Thus, I am releasing the source code of the plugin in MS VC++ .Net 2003 format.

I only have one request. That credit is awarded for whatever work i did and that work is being done in an organized way so that we don't end up with 10 download manager plugins! Only one!

Thanks a lot!

~Alex.

RE: RE: Download Manager Plugin by funaki on 07-04-2004 at 06:40 AM

quote:
work is being done in an organized way so hat we don't end up with 10 download manager plugins! Only one!

That is the point. No one would want to download 10 same kind of plugins coz someone made his own implementation.Thanks for your work Allex.

Edit : And the Source too ;)
RE: Download Manager Plugin by Ezra on 07-04-2004 at 11:07 AM

It's not working?

RE: Download Manager Plugin by Mushroom_Man on 07-05-2004 at 02:22 PM

Anything new on this?

RE: Download Manager Plugin by riahc3 on 07-31-2004 at 02:52 PM

:-( seem the plugin wont see light at all unless someone has taken the project

Has anyone done this?

RE: Download Manager Plugin by CookieRevised on 08-01-2004 at 02:52 AM

Please don't make/spam this thread like so many others where somebody asks "any update on this" every few days!!! When someone picks this up and is going to further develop it, you will hear about it...