Shoutbox

[Feature Request] Text Style Macros - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: [Feature Request] Text Style Macros (/showthread.php?tid=27386)

[Feature Request] Text Style Macros by Ziggy on 06-18-2004 at 07:26 PM

Hello, first post here, so hopefully I've got it in the right forum ;)

Anyways, I think there should be an option in Plus! to allow you to use some common emphasis characters and such. You know, like everybody nowadays does. Here's what I mean:

*text* => text
_text_ => text

Very often, I use *text* to bold stuff, and _text_ to emphasize on stuff. I think it would be really neat if Plus! had an option where this would format it automagically like this. MS Word does it (even though I personally use OpenOffice.org).

Keep up the good work (Y)

RE: [Feature Request] Text Style Macros by Choli on 06-18-2004 at 11:37 PM

There is already an option to do that. You can use the format feature. Read this tutorial to know more about it.

You can use the Ctrl + R shortcut or select some text and press Ctrl + B, or + T, etc.. to make that text get that format.

Just get used to the Ctrl + B, T, S, U, O, R, K shortcuts and use them instead of * and _ ;)

RE: [Feature Request] Text Style Macros by Ziggy on 06-19-2004 at 01:17 AM

I'm aware of those, I'm a long-time Plus! user. I mean as an alternate to those. If you want to know what I mean, open MS Word and type _text_, it'll be italics. I'm not saying to change it inline, but something that doesn't require me to stick my pinky out all the way to the Ctrl key. It's easier to type something like this:

"Well, if you forgot to read the directions, there's nothing that *I* can do to help you"

Than it is to type something like this:
"Well, if you forgot to read the directions, there's nothing that <Ctrl-B>I<Ctrl-B> can do to help you"

As keystrokes, my way is hold shift, press 8, press I, press 8, release shift. Using the IRC-style combos is a bit more painful, as I have to go hold Ctrl, press B, release Ctrl, hold Shift, press I, release Shift, hold Ctrl, press B, release Ctrl.

You see, if you're like me and type at least a page a day of IMs, the Ctrl-B crap gets annoying. I find it _much_ easier to do the USENET-style thing (_emphasis_ *bold*) than the IRC-style thing (control characters). I really _can't_ get used to using the Ctrl-X shortcuts -_-.

RE: [Feature Request] Text Style Macros by Ziggy on 06-19-2004 at 03:23 AM

Word Filters would work, but unfortunately, you can't have one letter word filters (unless I need to get 3.01 for it to work [I have 3.0])

RE: [Feature Request] Text Style Macros by ddunk on 06-19-2004 at 03:25 AM

You can have one letter word filters if you insert them through a .reg file. I'm not sure if the bold character will be able to be inserted that way though.

RE: [Feature Request] Text Style Macros by Ziggy on 06-19-2004 at 03:29 AM

Well, what key is it?

RE: [Feature Request] Text Style Macros by Ziggy on 06-19-2004 at 03:35 AM

Nevermind. HKCU\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\<signon>\WordFilters

And, he's smarter than I would have been.. it doesn't do a word filter on a one letter long thingy... -_-

RE: [Feature Request] Text Style Macros by Ziggy on 06-19-2004 at 03:40 AM

EEW! Actually, he didn't code a "oh, so they're going in the back door!" thing.. instead... now (text) _(any letter here) (text) is now italic. Sort of the effect I wanted, but not quite ^_^

RE: [Feature Request] Text Style Macros by Ziggy on 06-19-2004 at 03:42 AM

I could use __ and ** though... -_-

RE: [Feature Request] Text Style Macros by Ziggy on 06-19-2004 at 03:45 AM

no, I can't :\

RE: [Feature Request] Text Style Macros by dotNorma on 06-19-2004 at 04:43 AM

Please , Edit your posts :-/

Do something with the word filter so like....

__ is turned into Italics.
** is turned into Bold.
//   is a format reseter.

Then you can do.....Hello there , __Lucy// , How are you **today//

It isn't very conveniant but....

RE: [Feature Request] Text Style Macros by Ziggy on 06-19-2004 at 05:03 AM

Well, there should be a registry entry or something that lets you change the character that represents the bold character or something... I dunno >_<

Sorry 'bout the quadruple-posting :\

RE: [Feature Request] Text Style Macros by Choli on 06-19-2004 at 08:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NoName
Then you can do.....Hello there , __Lucy// , How are you **today//
you don'¡t need the //
you can type
Hello there , __Lucy__ , How are you **today**
it'd ake the same efect ;) (the second __ and ** disables those formats)

quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy
Well, there should be a registry entry or something that lets you change the character that represents the bold character or something... I dunno >_<
you can't change that because your contact's plus!, when it gets the received message won't know what characters means bold, italics, etc...
RE: [Feature Request] Text Style Macros by Ziggy on 06-19-2004 at 09:13 PM

Well, the basic idea of this feature is this: type _something_ (it would only work with one word, since otherwise, it'd get confused if you used the >_< or -_- emoticons), and the _ automatically gets translated into italics.

As for the registry entry, I know that the char won't mean anything to the other end; I mean somehow provide an alternate way to bold/italics/underline. When he puts the text back into memory to allow MSN to send it out, replace the chars you put in the registry with the proper B/I/U char.