Shoutbox

Scan/Show IP address of Friend - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Scan/Show IP address of Friend (/showthread.php?tid=27400)

Scan/Show IP address of Friend by Noman Shafi on 06-18-2004 at 10:30 PM

how can i get the IP address of my friend without using MSDOS (Netstat) can u make a plugin that show us the ip address of my friend's mechine(PC). *-)

Take Care and Bye

Noman Shafi Rana
http://www.nsrtech.net

RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by kao on 06-18-2004 at 11:22 PM

Simple Answer: No.

Why? Because it is invasion of privacy. Ask them to type (!IP) if they have Messenger Plus!.

RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by Choli on 06-18-2004 at 11:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kao
Because it is invasion of privacy.
and not only that. if he doesn't want to use netstat or similar programs, then there's no way of knowing the IP except by asking your friend to tell you.
RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by MC Inferno on 06-19-2004 at 12:23 AM

Whats wrong with netstat?

RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by WDZ on 06-19-2004 at 04:03 AM

It's probably possible to make a plugin that gets the IP from netstat when you type a Plus! command... :dodgy:

You could use the netstat -o argument to determine which connections are from Messenger, then use some kind of logic to rule out the standard connections (probably ignore *.msn.com and *.hotmail.com). You'd be left with connections to contacts. Their IPs could be parsed, then returned without the user ever leaving the conversation window or looking at an ugly command prompt. :p

RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by Choli on 06-19-2004 at 08:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
It's probably possible to make a plugin that gets the IP from netstat when you type a Plus! command... :dodgy:

You could use the netstat -o argument to determine which connections are from Messenger, then use some kind of logic to rule out the standard connections (probably ignore *.msn.com and *.hotmail.com). You'd be left with connections to contacts. Their IPs could be parsed, then returned without the user ever leaving the conversation window or looking at an ugly command prompt. :p
the idea is good, however it's a bit complicated code and even more if you can use netstat :refuck: (or TCPView).

Apart of that there will be problems when you're sending files to 2 or more different contacts (what IP is from each one?), or when you're sending files through the server, or if you're sending a file to someone whose IP is from @hotmail.com or @msn.com :P
RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by Stigmata on 06-19-2004 at 08:19 AM

whistle :)

* Stigmata working on it :)

edit:
well i cant do it but does someone want to check out a library :)

in vb goto references and set reference to P4P 1.0 type Library (notise locataion)

then once you have set a reference press f2, and where it says all libraries, change that to p4p....

then go to iusers, globalip :)

could that maybe work?

RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by WDZ on 06-19-2004 at 08:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
however it's a bit complicated code
Really? :-/

I already have it working in PHP, but I can't make a PHP MsgPlus! plug-in, unfortunately. :p I'm trying to convert the code to C++, but I'm too much of a n00b. :-/

quote:
and even more if you can use netstat
* WDZ doesn't understand... what?

quote:
what IP is from each one?
Show both.

quote:
when you're sending files through the server
Return an error if no connections to contacts are found.

quote:
if you're sending a file to someone whose IP is from @hotmail.com or @msn.com
Highly unlikely, I think. :p
RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by Choli on 06-19-2004 at 08:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
* WDZ doesn't understand... what?
i meant that it's much easier use netstat than making a that plugin:P
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Highly unlikely, I think.
yes, I know :P
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Really?
yes, at least to my knowledge :$:P
quote:
Originally posted by jackass_wanabe
well i cant do it but does someone want to check out a library

in vb goto references and set reference to P4P 1.0 type Library (notise locataion)

then once you have set a reference press f2, and where it says all libraries, change that to p4p....

then go to iusers, globalip

could that maybe work?
:huh:

i'll test that
RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by Stigmata on 06-19-2004 at 08:48 AM

:) ok :)

RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by WDZ on 06-19-2004 at 08:54 AM

quote:
i meant that it's much easier use netstat than making a that plugin
Definitely, but once the plug-in is made and installed, it will be much easier to use the plug-in than to use netstat. :d

For extra usefulness, maybe you could have some other IP-address-related tasks built in... :p
RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by Choli on 06-19-2004 at 08:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jackass_wanabe
:) ok :)
i can't (or don't know how to) use that thing. All what i've tried gives me errors. Definetelly i'm not good with those kind of stuff :P
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Definitely, but once the plug-in is made and installed, it will be much easier to use the plug-in than to use netstat.
yes, for the user it'd be easier, not for the developer :P
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
For extra usefulness, maybe you could have some other IP-address-related tasks built in...
mmmm.... :^)
RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by WDZ on 06-19-2004 at 09:02 AM

quote:
yes, for the user it'd be easier, not for the developer
You could say the same for many programs. :p

quote:
:lol: Nothing really dodgy/malicious, of course... :dodgy:
RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by Choli on 06-19-2004 at 09:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
:lol: Nothing really dodgy/malicious, of course... :dodgy:
:lol: With "mmm...." I meant I don't know what thing could be done :P I wasn't thinking in anything dodgy :D
RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by Fiola on 06-24-2004 at 07:29 AM

Well, i for one would love to see this plugin made.
Recently a few of my friend has got their messenger account highjacked, and it is really frustrating when that happens. They all wish to find out who the person is, because it seems like they got highjacked because they had really easy secret answers. The person highjacking the account is probably someone they know. It would be nice to know the ip of the person, so that they can track down the highjacker, and give him/her a good pounding :D

RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by Stigmata on 06-24-2004 at 04:40 PM

quote:
i can't (or don't know how to) use that thing. All what i've tried gives me errors. Definetelly i'm not good with those kind of stuff

lol same here :)
RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by Zen Archon on 06-27-2004 at 07:16 PM

and, is still someone working on that plug-in, because i really wanna use it then, because some of my contacts are hacked, so I can find out who it was.

RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by (CyBeRDuDe) on 06-28-2004 at 07:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fiola
Well, i for one would love to see this plugin made.
Recently a few of my friend has got their messenger account highjacked, and it is really frustrating when that happens. They all wish to find out who the person is, because it seems like they got highjacked because they had really easy secret answers. The person highjacking the account is probably someone they know. It would be nice to know the ip of the person, so that they can track down the highjacker, and give him/her a good pounding :D

and

quote:
Originally posted by Zen Archon
and, is still someone working on that plug-in, because i really wanna use it then, because some of my contacts are hacked, so I can find out who it was.

That is so f***íng b******t!!!!!
First of all:
you can't track down who have hijacked their hotmail account... the only information U can get is which country they are from, and then U can check all of Ur contacts ip's or other ip's U find, to hopefully get some kind of idea who it is, but still, many people have dynamical IP adresses so U can't use this to anything at all!!!!....

Second:
It is so easy to "crack"/hijack accounts, some people just don't think very much, they don't use their brains at all...
Try going to a "Dating" or "community" page, and then find a random person, check their profile, there email might be there somewhere, goto their email homepage ex. www.hotmail.com choose I forgot my password, then check their secret question, go to their profile on the dating page and look if they tell U what there thier favorite movie is, or their petname which is the 2 most common sercret question used on hotmail.... go check it out... so easy.. so it could be anyone... if people don't want this to happen, change your secret to something else, or don't tell people what Ur favorite movie is if that is Ur secret questíon.....

But I still like the idea about a plugin that retrives the IP. is somebody still working in this? or have everybody quit this project?.....
RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by illuzn on 06-28-2004 at 09:22 AM

I've posted the easiest way on the forums before i'll go look up the link:
illuzn's reply to I NEED HELP !!!!!
Follow the steps there.... it will work 100% of the time... although you do still need to use a command prompt... i've pretty much given a step by step set of instructions. I'll clarify them again here:
1. Goto Start-->Run-->taskman.exe
2. Click on the processes tab, find the messenger process (msnmsgr.exe) and grab its PID If you don't see a PID column goto View-->Select Columns and turn on the PID column
3. Goto Start-->Run-->cmd.exe
4. Download the portqry file and put it in c:\ root...
5. Run the following code... *note* the first entry is to navigate to c:\ (you can put it elsewhere just navigate there)

code:
cd c:\
portqry.exe -wpid *insert process id here* -wt 2
6. Send a file to the contact you want to interrogate
7. You will see a connection with a port other than 80 and 1863 that is the ip of your contact
RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by Stigmata on 06-28-2004 at 10:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by (CyBeRDuDe)
many people have dynamical IP adresses so U can't use this to anything at all!!!!....

most broadband users do :)

* Stigmata has one :P
* Stigmata uses it on irc :)

and you have a good point....but trust me there are many other ways of gaining a password :)

one ive heard of is a print screen of the messenger window and signing window, that has been painted to a form

and when you fill in your details and so on
it recordes it in a .txt file, and gives the error that you could not sign in. closes the program, and launchs messenger :)

then its simple from then...

if u like ill make one :P

RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by Millenium_edition on 06-28-2004 at 05:32 PM

blah you can get the text of the password box using win32 api (on < XP)...

don't ask me how, but writing an msn trojan horse (excuse me for the word) isn't hard...

RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by illuzn on 06-29-2004 at 12:01 AM

Don't even need to hack the api... get anyone of those out of the box stealth keyloggers badaboom... some of them even have full stealth capability like one that *cough*somebody*cough* i know has used. It encapsulates another file inside it so that when run it will run say a joke program but at the same time deploys the keylogger and runs an ftp for you to dl the logs

RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by (CyBeRDuDe) on 06-29-2004 at 12:44 AM

Ok.. now this thread shouldn't have come to a discusion about how to get a password from another account which is illegal... but to obtain somebodys ip address is not illegal...

I've gone a step further in my messing with messenger, so i'm currently working on a "Secret Project" it's not secret just don't wanna spoil to much ATM.....It proberly is not going to be a Plus plugin but maybe a mix between a standalone program(which needs to be run before msn messenger) and a plugin...but I can say that it will be able to login offline(I know this already have been done by some "patches" but still...) and it will be able to obtain another contacts IP-address by sending them a file or webcam request and quikly canceling again.... and lots more.. I'll tell U more when I get a litle further with this project, and I guess I will release a alpha/beta stage of the project.. but It might take some time, I just started this project a few hours ago... and some of the stuff may be new to me.... so....

RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by Varish on 06-29-2004 at 04:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by (CyBeRDuDe)
it will be able to obtain another contacts IP-address by sending them a file or webcam request and quikly canceling again...

I read at some MSN Security report (i think it was the update log) that Giving the IP of the content before accepting requests was a "serious security bug" and a fixed version was released. So you might want to do some resarch.

RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by (CyBeRDuDe) on 06-29-2004 at 10:46 AM

hmm... crap... then I guess I'm kinda to late with this...  but I will still continue... trying to make it work asap... :D...

RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by Digma on 09-10-2005 at 07:40 PM

Although some people think it is an invasion to privacy and others think it is b******* to obtain an ip to find out who a person is, it will certainly be to value for me.

I own and run a pretty large messageboard and with a large messageboard come 'fuck-ups'. People who will try to spoil the fun for others or try everything possible to piss you off.

Amongst their actions is the 'imposter' msn approach. Acting if they're someone else and asking for sensitive information from moderators and administrators about information regarding other users and moderators.

Fortunately my staff knows what to do in these kinds of situations as we have our own policies to deal with such matters. However I would sure like to find out who's approaching them all the time.

In other words: find out their IP address (possibly even their hostname) and compare it to the IP addresses at our messageboard to see if there are any users who have the same IP address (and hostname).

It doesn't take a genius to realize what will happen to the user if we find out who he is.

So to me it would certainly be a valuable add-on/plug-in.

RE: Scan/Show IP address of Friend by ShawnZ on 09-10-2005 at 07:46 PM

hey did you guys forget it tries to go through the server before making a direct connection ? :o