Shoutbox

Computer shopping - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Computer shopping (/showthread.php?tid=27488)

Computer shopping by Pyroteq on 06-21-2004 at 12:51 PM

ok im buying a computer, DO NOT say build it urself! ive got a home-built allready and now im buying a normal stock computer.
Ok,
Im looking at the Acer Aspire RC500
and Dell (duno which model)
Both customized ofcourse.
Opinions- Which is the better brand and model from that brand or is there a better brand out there? (Dont say Compaq or HP, thier the same thing, and going downhill) I was told that Sony isnt that great even though it does have the No.1 spot on C|net.com anyway i also want a reliable brand none of this back-alley shop down the road custom crap.

RE: Computer shopping by jren207 on 06-21-2004 at 01:27 PM

Are IBM pcs any good? They are used by businesses and places like that. Might give you many years of computer life.
I am using a Sony PC myself lol.

RE: Computer shopping by Pyroteq on 06-21-2004 at 01:33 PM

Well then seeing as ur a Sony user tell us ur Pro's and Con's and ur model numba...that would help, thanx
IBM are reliable but im not keen on them

RE: Computer shopping by Concord Dawn on 06-21-2004 at 02:03 PM

I'm using a Dell D600 Latitude laptop from my school. These things are pretty good, but my school didn't go all out. I recommend getting extra RAM and a better processor. Also, if there are new AV cards out, get those. I'm using a Radeon 9000 :throwup: and a SigmaTel Audio card :throwup:

RE: Computer shopping by jren207 on 06-21-2004 at 02:13 PM

Weeell, the Sony PC i'm using is a Sony VAIO PCV-RX406. This model is kinda extinct but there are newer models on the market.

Good things:

> Good things fitted as standard like video cards etc.
> Good technical support on it.
> Good software included.
> Lots of sockets like USB. (My model also has an optical output for connection to 5.1 sound system :P )
> Reliable (has been workin for 2 years without problems)

Bad things:

> When fitting things like CD-ROM drives, as Sony PCs are sort of designer lookin, you have to fit them inside a panel on the front and ad matching draw panels.
> Windows XP is on a thing called a recovery disc and doesn't allow you to choose custom installs. You can't just repair windows etc.
> Only 1 year quarantee

Overall my PC is ok. A Sony should be on your list of PCs to get :P

RE: Computer shopping by Xf Stef on 06-21-2004 at 04:13 PM

k...I'm not gonna say "build it urself" :P, but... you could customize it :D
I've never seen Sony or IBM or Compaq computers on the market cause' of my location but I would go for a state of the art MSI mainboard (don't know the name of the last one) with 2 512 MB DDRAM at 400 mhz, a 3,200 AMD ATHLON XP with a Ati Radeon 9600 Pro 256 mb DDRam with a 21 inch flat monitor, Sony DVD WR, Sony CD-W, Sony cd-rom. You should buy Microsoft Windows Xp profesional, but first put on Win 98 SE, cause games run better on it. I would go for 2 hard disks, a Seagate at 20 GB with 9600 RPM for the operating systems and another Seagate at 120 GB for your games and stuff. Don't ask me about the sound card, cause' I don't know any good enough for this system, and I would go for an optical mouse for optimal performance...in games :)))))

hey Chaotic_Shield...are you having trouble with your video card, I have a 9000 pro and it runs pretty good, not like I wouldn't get a better one but it's good.

If my perfect system isn't that perfect please reply and tell me exactly why

PS: if u do choose this sys don't forget to put in about 5 coolers for the hard disks and video card ;)

RE: Computer shopping by Concord Dawn on 06-21-2004 at 04:34 PM

Xf Stef: This model card is kinda extinct, and I want a better one, but I'm getting an upgrade in a year so I can't really complain.

RE: Computer shopping by .blade// on 06-21-2004 at 04:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by voodoopc.com

[Image: DIFFERENCE-TEMP_r5_c2.gif]

Since 1991, Voodoo PC has been creating powerful technologies that take the concept of human-machine interaction to an exciting new level and beyond.

The Voodoo Culture, as personified by our Team and our valuable industry Partners, is built on the need to look beyond the everyday and the ordinary, and to focus on doing the extraordinary.

[Image: DIFFERENCE-TEMP_r9_c2.gif]

Try to look at life from the perspective of a member of the Voodoo Tech Team. Day in and day out you are up to your eyeballs in the worlds most powerful personal computer technology.

Voodoo customers from all walks of life are counting on you to work a magic spell that turns all that raw power into a flawless and exciting machine that is tailored to their exact needs.

It takes a very particular sort of magician for this task and a legendary product such as the Voodoo F-CLASS would not be possible without the dedication and attention to detail from our entire Tech Team.

[Image: DIFFERENCE-TEMP_r13_c2.gif]

If you have ever wondered what happened to good old-fashioned values and integrity then you have come to the right place. Voodoo was a pioneer in the one-on-one consultative sales & design method for Total Customer Satisfaction and we continue to push forward towards the Ultimate Experience for our customers.

From an in-depth design consultation to casual shipping enquiries, your Voodoo Customer Team has one purpose and one purpose only: 100% Satisfaction or your money back, period. You owe it to yourself to experience the truly unique shopping and ownership of a Voodoo System.

VooDoo PC's are reliable, fast, and nice looking :refuck:
If you're going for a desktop, they never over-heat, parts almsot never fry, etc.
Same for laptops, and they have well over 3 hours of battery llife :banana:

http://www.voodoopc.com
RE: RE: Computer shopping by Pyroteq on 06-22-2004 at 06:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Xf Stef
k...I'm not gonna say "build it urself" :P, but... you could customize it :D

I was planning to customize it.

I'll add sony to my list of possibles...i'll post somthing with all my info in it and one of u tech ppl can advize me.
RE: Computer shopping by Pyroteq on 06-22-2004 at 07:09 AM

Ok someone please tell me which one of these is the best and what iv'e done wrong if i have.

----Acer----
Model: Aspire RC511
Intel 865Chipset
SPDIF (Sony Phillips digital interface)
Windows XP Home (Pro was not an option...?)
Intel Pentium 4HT 3.2GHz (800MHz front side bus)
1024MB PC3200 Dual channel DDR-SDRAM
GeForce4 MX-440 8x Card
160GB Hard-drive 7200RPM
DVD+/-RW & DVD-RAM
1.44MB Floppy
10/100 intergrated Lan
Integrated 32 bit AC97 stereo sound
Acer 3-piece stereo speakers (including sub-woofer)
Microsoft Works 7.0
LCD Pro monitor
Coming to... $3065.50.   http://www.byo.acer.com.au/ecprod/BYO/Australia/C...od_line_code=7100#

----Dell-----

Dell Dimension 8300

Windows XP Pro
Intel Pentium 3.4Ghz w/HT
2GB Memory 400MHz
IEEE Firewire card
Office 2003
1.44 Floppy (wasnt a standard option :p)
400GB SATA 7200 hardrive
DVD+RW/+R with CDRW
17" LCD Screen
Audigy2 sound card (no other option, shit.)
64MB USB Memory Key
http://dellstore02.dell.com.au/public/cart/config..._id=223986&sr_no=2

RE: Computer shopping by Xf Stef on 06-22-2004 at 07:24 AM

That's a nice choice, I would change the sound card, cause' the integrated sound cards start usig the processor, and can become real pains when playin' games that need a good sound system. Also the video card isn't that good, it's not one of my favorites either, so I would still go for an Ati Radeon 9600 with 256 MB DDRAM.

I'm not one of them....tech ppl *-) but still I think I know a thing or two about computers and computer manufacturers, so don't take my advice too serious ^o)

RE: Computer shopping by Pyroteq on 06-22-2004 at 07:32 AM

Neither of them offer the ATI Radeon series. both only have that choice but acer has the GeForce, im looking at sony now they've got it.

RE: Computer shopping by Pyroteq on 06-22-2004 at 07:38 AM

---Sony-----

Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2004 
Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHzHT
2GB Memory
160 GB 7200 RPM hardrive
ATI RADEON™ 9800 Pro (128MB)
DVD+-RW Drive 
DVD-ROM Drive
Creative Inspire2500 2.1CH Speaker System and Sound Blaster Audigy Sound Card
Microsoft Works 7.0
Video Plus -Includes Adobe Premiere LE
Sony VAIO 802.11g Wireless LAN PC Card
128MB Memory Stick
17" LCD Monitor
Sony VAIO 802.11g Wireless LAN Router Access Point
Norton Internet Security 2004 Professional 

Hey it seems Sony offers alot more, i wasnt keen on thier PC's but thanx to u guys now i am LoL!

RE: Computer shopping by Pyroteq on 06-23-2004 at 10:33 AM

peoples opinions..?

RE: Computer shopping by Tarry on 06-23-2004 at 11:11 AM

I love Dells so I'd reccommend you a Dell.

But I think LCD displays are stupid if you have enough space to put a normal display.

RE: Computer shopping by Pyroteq on 06-23-2004 at 11:44 AM

why? i thought they looked better?
Explain why u like dells plz cuz im looking for detailed info n yeah it would help more if u dont mind..

RE: Computer shopping by Garndell on 06-23-2004 at 04:21 PM

My personal suggestion is, if it's a media PC (editing, making, watching) then get something based around Intel.  If you are going to do some gaming and some Media etc the AMD is the path to choose.

As you live in the land down under I won't suggest the comapnies I know of because they are all UK or Canadian based and shipping would be expensive.

Of the major companies, IBM & Sony would come very high on my list.  Dell wouldn't, they only offer average support & even then it will cost a fair bit to get what you want done done.

RE: Computer shopping by .blade// on 06-23-2004 at 04:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Scone
why? i thought they looked better?
Explain why u like dells plz cuz im looking for detailed info n yeah it would help more if u dont mind..

VooDoo is the fastest and best looking, but if you're a n00b you would want to go with Dell because they are reliable and fairly good. VooDoo are over-clocked and super tweaked.

In large part, Dell's are targeted at people who have no clue wtf they are doing :P They are a computer for someone who knows little/nothing about building a PC.
RE: Computer shopping by saralk on 06-23-2004 at 07:56 PM

On the contrary. Im not much of a gamer, any gaming i need to do ill do on my xbox. But i wouldnt say im a n00b. So tbh, i dont need an amazing graphics card to too much RAM. Id much rather have a quiet PC that is fast and good at what i want it to do, which is basically internet, web design and maybe the occasional game. So for me a Dell would be pretty good. Except id probably build it myself, but u catch my drift.

RE: Computer shopping by Xf Stef on 06-24-2004 at 06:07 AM

I wouldn't go for a Dell ...they are pretty good for offices and stuff but still if you want quality and performance then you should probably buy yourself one of those Graphic designing custom made+server+coffe maker :)))). Seriously now, you should tell us what your gonna do with this new computer, you wanna use it for gaming or just office work. If that's settled then we could actually tell you what's the best option.

blade: I don't know I'd buy somethin' overclocked, I don't trust then enought ^o)

RE: Computer shopping by Pyroteq on 06-24-2004 at 07:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Xf Stef
I wouldn't go for a Dell ...they are pretty good for offices and stuff but still if you want quality and performance..

Exactly what i said to dad ahha i never thought dells were that great thier just a player on my list because they have quite enticing prices, my major things were really Acer and now Sony,
With the VooDoo i looked at it and i think they look really good but i noticed that the shipping was a 3-6month waiting list, and has no support because its not a major company so i duno..

I want my pc to-
Last a long lifetime so i dont have to update for at least another 5 years
All rounder, im going to be doing some pretty extreme gaming, school homework wordprocessing etc and alot of stuff on the net just general websites and downloads and programs etc maybe some imagery. I'll be watching alot of movies and playing music, burning cds etc so multimedia is looking good, the tv would be a nice touch :p
It's going to be networked so it needs to be able to handle being a host computer and all that sorta stuff.
RE: Computer shopping by Xf Stef on 06-24-2004 at 07:41 PM

Then I would go for the Sony, or making it myself. It's your choice :)

Be sure to buy a portable hard drive thingy', that's very good when you need to move large information from one computer to another and you don't have a network between them.

You should be ok, but still I can't guarantee you it will last 5 years with the curent expansion of computer technology ^o)

RE: Computer shopping by Pyroteq on 06-27-2004 at 09:57 AM

Yeah well if i must update, then i will, the second hard drive is a good idea..

RE: Computer shopping by Pyroteq on 06-30-2004 at 04:31 AM

Dell's off the list. Im now looking at Sony and Acer. VooDoo isn't on the list because its too expensive especially coming from the U.S

RE: Computer shopping by crazihouse on 07-01-2004 at 01:31 AM

I'd go with the Acer, although I can't find the FSB or sound card it has. Also all they say about the motherboard is that its 8x, not which model or company.

RE: Computer shopping by Pyroteq on 07-01-2004 at 08:49 AM

The reason im also looking at the Sony is beacuse Acer dosnt have the option of an upgraded radeon card or audio cards...

RE: Computer shopping by Garndell on 07-01-2004 at 11:54 PM

*crazihouse - just so you know your "sig" is incorrect on the IP & server, lol.

*Scone - Sony do make excellent machines.  If you go to www.google.com.au & search for "PC Retailer" you will get a nice selection of local retailers for PC's (make sure you tell it to look for Aus pages not Web tho.

RE: Computer shopping by Pyroteq on 07-02-2004 at 07:25 AM

the Sony store told me that Song desktops Are NOT shipped to australia due to thier uncompatablity with our cards or somthing like that, only notebooks are shipped here.

RE: Computer shopping by Garndell on 07-02-2004 at 03:03 PM

At the very worst your PSU would need to be switched voltage or just a new one got.  The internals of a PC are pretty much Universal.  If I (a Brit) bought an American PC I would either switch the PSU or buy a new PSU in the UK to replace the one that is in there.

RE: Computer shopping by RebelSean on 07-02-2004 at 03:04 PM

quote:
Ok someone please tell me which one of these is the best and what iv'e done wrong if i have.

----Acer----
Model: Aspire RC511
Intel 865Chipset
SPDIF (Sony Phillips digital interface)
Windows XP Home (Pro was not an option...?)
Intel Pentium 4HT 3.2GHz (800MHz front side bus)
1024MB PC3200 Dual channel DDR-SDRAM
GeForce4 MX-440 8x Card
160GB Hard-drive 7200RPM
DVD+/-RW & DVD-RAM
1.44MB Floppy
10/100 intergrated Lan
Integrated 32 bit AC97 stereo sound
Acer 3-piece stereo speakers (including sub-woofer)
Microsoft Works 7.0
LCD Pro monitor
Coming to... $3065.50.   http://www.byo.acer.com.au/ecprod/BYO/Australia/C...od_line_code=7100#

----Dell-----

Dell Dimension 8300

Windows XP Pro
Intel Pentium 3.4Ghz w/HT
2GB Memory 400MHz
IEEE Firewire card
Office 2003
1.44 Floppy (wasnt a standard option :p)
400GB SATA 7200 hardrive
DVD+RW/+R with CDRW
17" LCD Screen
Audigy2 sound card (no other option, shit.)
64MB USB Memory Key
http://dellstore02.dell.com.au/public/cart/config..._id=223986&sr_no=2

Dude! go fo da dell! lol
RE: Computer shopping by Garndell on 07-02-2004 at 03:09 PM

LOLZA, Dell blow when it comes to PC's.  For nearly a year they have been on a slide in quality & performance.

http://au.dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Economy/Shop...etailers/Hardware/

Try that link for AU & NZ based PC Retailers (Check out the Custom Built section).

RE: Computer shopping by Pyroteq on 07-12-2004 at 11:59 AM

thanx garndell, im guna have a look

RE: Computer shopping by Dane on 07-12-2004 at 12:08 PM

Gateway 710XL ;), http://www.gateway.com

RE: Computer shopping by Stigmata on 07-12-2004 at 12:13 PM

what i should be getting

:)

Compaq Armada E500 Plll 1.0Ghz notebook
Processor Plll 1.0Ghz
RAM: 256mb
Floppy disk: 1.44Mb
Hard disk: 30.0 Gb
Removable storage: CD-ROM
Screen size: 15
Display type: TFT
Sound: Yes
OS Platform Windows: XP Home

for £425.00

that a good deal??

RE: Computer shopping by Garndell on 07-12-2004 at 07:31 PM

Short and sweet, not worth it.

RE: Computer shopping by Pyroteq on 07-13-2004 at 09:14 AM

Theres go-l.com, thier f-ken awsome but thier USA so its too expensive, and theres the kingworld.com Sunami series although i dont know if they just sell cases or actually build PC's.

Dane- That gateway site is USA and they dont seem to have an aussie site

RE: Computer shopping by Garndell on 07-13-2004 at 06:49 PM

jackass, just go to your local newsagent and buy a copy of Micro Mart.  There are hundreds of PC's in there for less than £400 but with a hell of a lot higher spec.

RE: Computer shopping by Pyroteq on 07-14-2004 at 06:23 AM

Update:
Iv'e found a case the Tsunami Sagitarius ill post pics of it, then im going to buy that and find a store to build the hardware in for me. So all my talk about brands hasnt done much but now we have to make up a hardware list LoL anyways heres the pics

[Image: st_64_b.gif]

I have another one but its too large to upload and its not hosted on a website, its a better pic showing all the slots and the cathodes etc

If ur still reading, heres my tech specs.

Microsoft Windows XP Pro
Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz with HT Technology 800Mhz FSB
Intel chipset
1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM 
160 GB EIDE hard drive (7200 RPM)
Graphics-
ATI RADEON 9800 Pro
Optical drive 1-
DVD Super Multi drive (DVD+/-CD R/RW & DVD-RAM) (Alll formats)
1.44 MB floppy drive
Integrated 10/100/1000 LAN
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy2
USB 2.0
Firewire (IEEE) 4 and 6 pin connectors
Microsoft Works 7.0
Norton Anti Virus 2004 Professional
Firewire 8 and 4 pin connecters
USB 2.0
17” LCD Screen     (model tba)
Keyboard, mouse and speakers (models tba)

Anything ive mistaken or missed?

RE: Computer shopping by Garndell on 07-14-2004 at 09:40 AM

Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2

They are probably one of the best cards around.

RE: Computer shopping by toddy on 07-14-2004 at 09:44 AM

quote:
Anything ive mistaken or missed?

why not get a 10/100/1000 lan, if u getting a top of the range pc. you mite has well get a good lan card
RE: Computer shopping by Pyroteq on 07-14-2004 at 09:54 AM

Thanx ive added both those suggestions

RE: Computer shopping by Pyroteq on 07-18-2004 at 04:08 AM

I've got my case anyone who's interested can contact me on msn because i cant post the pics due to the sites bandwidth and i have no where to host them and cant be bothered to start an msn group e.t.c
Heres my specs the im getting built in-

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Windows XP Pro
Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz with HT Technology 800Mhz FSB
Intel  925X chipset
1GB DDR-RAM  (PC3200)
512 GB EIDE hard drive (7200 RPM)

ATI RADEON 9800 Pro
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy2

DVD Super Multi drive (DVD+/-CD R/RW & DVD-RAM) (All formats)    (black if possible)

DVD-Rom

1.44 MB floppy drive (Black)
Integrated 10/100/1000 LAN
USB 2.0
Firewire (IEEE) card (4 and 8 pin connectors)

Microsoft Office XP Standard Edition
Norton Anti Virus 2004 Professional
Latest Nero burning software.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Any suggestions?
Im also intsalling Green LED Neon lights and two LED Neon fans. (one front one back)