Shoutbox

Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 (/showthread.php?tid=27605)

Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by MSGPlusRox on 06-23-2004 at 03:56 PM

I logged onto MSNM and it told me about the new version. I upgraded, then tried to start it with JNRZ loader.

JNRZ Loader crashed when I tried this.

I downloaded the newest version of JNRZ Loader. This time, nothing happened at all. No MSN buddylist, no crashes, just nothing.

I tried running MSN by itself, and it won't start. It gives me an error message saying, "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

I uninstalled/reinstalled. Same problem.

I reverted back to the old version and still get the same problem.

I completely stripped MSNM off my system, including deleting the Application Data from that folder. Reinstalled, same problem.

I'm at a loss here. I'm not the only one having this problem. Someone posted this problem on BigBlueBall as well.

Windows XP Pro

RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by RebelSean on 06-23-2004 at 04:51 PM

Try un-installing msn messenger COMPLETLY, un-installl that loaded COMPLETLY....Reboot your computer....Download the latest version of msn messenger..Then go and read a bit about the latest loader and make sure it will work for the latest msn version...If not just dont use the loader and your msn should work correctly...:d

RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by MSGPlusRox on 06-23-2004 at 04:57 PM

I did completely uninstall it (using Add/Remove Programs) and even deleted the MSN Messenger folder from my Application Data folder (this folder holds all profile info). I did reboot and then installed again. No joy. I think a file somewhere got corrupted, but I have no way of knowing which one.

RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by RebelSean on 06-23-2004 at 05:00 PM

Have you downloaed the latest version of msn messenger tho?? Not just got the install file but the newest version?

RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by MSGPlusRox on 06-23-2004 at 05:18 PM

You have to download the install file to get the newest version, unless I'm missing something.

RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by RebelSean on 06-23-2004 at 06:49 PM

Ya thats what I meant, have you downloaded the newest version from http://messenger.msn.com ??

RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by MSGPlusRox on 06-23-2004 at 07:56 PM

Yes I did. That's what's not working.

RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by lylesback2 on 06-23-2004 at 08:05 PM

:S im afraid your MSN list has been lost.  what you can do is upload your back up (i hope you make one) or keep login in and out from a different PC, and different MSN's.  Try MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger.  then if that doesn't work.  Add yourself to yourself, signout, and sign in.  it might recover your list.

if not, you need to check your chat logs for everyones e-mails...

RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by MSGPlusRox on 06-23-2004 at 08:25 PM

My buddylist is intact. I was able to get to it by using Windows Messenger. Finally I have my MSNM back, but I can't load it with JNRZ anymore. It crashes when I try to.

RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by Sunshine on 06-23-2004 at 09:09 PM

Maybe ur jrnzloader got corrupted somehow....

Dl it here: http://kaonet.net/page.php?id=95  an see if it works ;)

RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by MSGPlusRox on 06-23-2004 at 09:31 PM

I downloaded it and will try it. I have my doubts though, because when I checked my log it said the faulting app was MSNM itself, rather than JNRZ. So for some reason, this version of MSNM just isn't compatible with JNRZ, eventhough it's supposed to be.

RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by DeanC on 07-01-2004 at 01:29 PM

I'm a newbie on Messenger. Can anyone tell me the difference between Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger and .NET Messenger?
Also having trouble w/video connection between USA & Sweden, it will not start at times and somtime it will. USA is XP Pro, Sweden is W2K Pro.

RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by Vendetta on 07-01-2004 at 11:56 PM

hey peepz...
can somebody tell me how i can create a backup file for msn messenger... just in case my msn stops working just like what happend with MSGPlusRox...

i only can save my buddy list... suppose that is not what you guys call a "backup file" ? :$

RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by toddy on 07-02-2004 at 12:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DeanC
I'm a newbie on Messenger. Can anyone tell me the difference between Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger and .NET Messenger
windows messenger - is a product by microsoft that comes with windows
msn messenger - is a program by msn that needs to be downloaded off the internet.
there are not many difference's between them, i think windows messenger doesn't have emitcons anymore (but i am not sure). but other than that they are pritty much the same.
as for .net messenger, i have no idea but i will look into it for you
RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by toddy on 07-02-2004 at 12:05 AM

(Sorry for the double post, but there are for different people)

quote:
Originally posted by Vendetta
hey peepz...
can somebody tell me how i can create a backup file for msn messenger
you don't really need to create a back up of msn, unless you are changing it. for example changing the skin, or addin a patch. and even then a back up is not that important.
if your msn does stop working, you can always download it again of msn.com

[edit]
to answer your question, all you need to do it go to the folder where messenger is. right click and select copy folder. you the can paste the folder in another location, this folder will then have all the workin files in.
RE: RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by Vendetta on 07-02-2004 at 12:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
(Sorry for the double post, but there are for different people)
you don't really need to create a back up of msn, unless you are changing it. for example changing the skin, or addin a patch. and even then a back up is not that important.
if your msn does stop working, you can always download it again of msn.com

[edit]
to answer your question, all you need to do it go to the folder where messenger is. right click and select copy folder. you the can paste the folder in another location, this folder will then have all the workin files in.

thnx again (Y)
RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by CookieRevised on 07-02-2004 at 12:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MSGPlusRox
I logged onto MSNM and it told me about the new version. I upgraded, then tried to start it with JNRZ loader.
In this very first sentence, you already gave your own answer....

JnrzLoader is version-dependent! So, if you upgrade your Messenger, you also need to upgrade the version of JnrzLoader. Download the correct version at http://jnrz7.iespana.es/jnrz7/

(General tip: don't use mirror links or downloads from other sites when you can download it directly from the creator!)
RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by Indefinate on 07-06-2004 at 12:59 PM

I had the same problem on a friends computer with MSN not working.

Here's how I fixed it:

Install latest version of MSN Messenger, try and load it. No doubt, it will say that the application config or something is screwed up. DO NOT UNINSTALL IT! Go back to your installation file, run it, and REPAIR your MSN Messenger install. Reboot your PC, and voila! MSN will work.

andy

RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by CookieRevised on 07-06-2004 at 01:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Indefinate
Install latest version of MSN Messenger, try and load it. No doubt, it will say that the application config or something is screwed up.
If you didn't alter the executable in any way (patching, skinning, etc...) there is no reason why it shouldn't work....

quote:
Originally posted by Indefinate
DO NOT UNINSTALL IT! Go back to your installation file, run it, and REPAIR your MSN Messenger install. Reboot your PC, and voila! MSN will work.
Uninstalling/reinstalling and repairing do actualy just the same. They both restore you executable; If you uninstalled it and reinstalled it it would have worked also....
RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by Indefinate on 07-06-2004 at 01:28 PM

They are MEANT to be the same, but when MSN uninstall's, it leaves behind a few files/code/etc.

When you install it again, it looks for that code, and if it finds it (even if it's corrupt), it leaves it there and doesn't touch it.

Upon repairing it, it will forcefully change that code or whatever.

andy

RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by CookieRevised on 07-06-2004 at 01:32 PM

no, repairing leaves the settings (even corrupt) also intact. Repairing just repairs your executable and DLL's to their original states (before you screwed them up with patching or something). Settings are left alone...

uninstalling and reinstalling does exactly the same. The only difference is that if you uninstall/reinstall, all the files are deleted first by the uninstall process.

RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by Indefinate on 07-06-2004 at 01:48 PM

If thats the case, then tell me why I uninstalled and reinstalled about 5 times, and it didn't work... yet repairing once worked?

andy

RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by CookieRevised on 07-06-2004 at 01:56 PM

I dunno, because you did something wrong, forget to do something? The difference between the two is as I stated though... Anyways, important thing is that it is fixed ;)

RE: Major troubles with MSNM 6.2.0137 by Indefinate on 07-06-2004 at 03:19 PM

The only way I stumbled upon the "Repair" option was because I forgot to uninstall MSN first.

andy