Shoutbox

Messenger repeatedly registers itself for startup - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Messenger repeatedly registers itself for startup (/showthread.php?tid=27624)

Messenger repeatedly registers itself for startup by greeze on 06-24-2004 at 02:13 AM

Here's what's up.

I've got Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel installed.  This super-useful app pops up a dialog anytime another app tries to register itself to launch at Windows startup.  This is very useful for stopping trojans and spy-ware before they install themselves.

Well, with Plus! installed, MSN Messenger tries to register itself to run at startup every time I turn on the computer.  So every time I get into Windows, I get a warning dialog.  Is there some reason that Plus! is causing Messenger to behave like this?  And is there some way I can stop it?

TIA.

RE: Messenger repeatedly registers itself for startup by Tochjo on 06-24-2004 at 09:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by greeze
Is there some reason that Plus! is causing Messenger to behave like this?  And is there some way I can stop it?
This behaviour is normal. Plus! adds that entry to ensure it is loaded before Messenger is loaded. Preventing this might be possible, but then Plus! might not be loaded properly.
RE: Messenger repeatedly registers itself for startup by greeze on 06-24-2004 at 11:02 PM

But it's not Plus! that's doing it.  Messenger is adding that entry to the HKCU/Run key every time the computer starts up.  But Messenger only does this if Plus! is installed:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=268019]

Does Plus! remove Messenger from the HKCU/Run key, thus forcing Messenger to register itself again?

Again, any and all help is appreciated.

RE: Messenger repeatedly registers itself for startup by Choli on 06-24-2004 at 11:15 PM

quote:
But it's not Plus! that's doing it.  Messenger is adding that entry to the HKCU/Run key every time the computer starts up.  But Messenger only does this if Plus! is installed:
that's correct. I'll explain that a bit better: Plus has an exe: msgplus.exe that has to be run when windows starts so when you start messenger you ca access the plus' features. In that moment, msgplus.exe loads a DLL into messenger and is that DLL the one that does all the plus stuff, included the thing you're seeing: that dll registers plus (msgplus.exe) to be loaded when windows starts, but bacause of that dll is loaded in messenger, the effect is that messenger is doing that action.
quote:
Does Plus! remove Messenger from the HKCU/Run key, thus forcing Messenger to register itself again?
No. Plus doesn't change the configuration of messenger.
RE: Messenger repeatedly registers itself for startup by Patchou on 06-25-2004 at 12:16 AM

Messenger always adds this key back and Messenger Plus! always removes it to make sure it is loaded before Messenger when Windows starts. That's absolutely normal. I suggest you to stop using this kind of alert program, editing the registry is something completely legitimate :).

RE: RE: Messenger repeatedly registers itself for startup by greeze on 06-27-2004 at 10:17 PM

Okay.  Thanks for the info, Patchou.

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I suggest you to stop using this kind of alert program, editing the registry is something completely legitimate :).

I edit the registry all the time.  I know it's perfectly legitimate.  But I think you should have a look at the program before you dismiss it offhand.  Software frequently registers itself to run at startup whether you want it to or not.  StatupMonitor lets you know when a program is trying to do that.  It's a very simple, elegant, and useful piece of software (much like Plus! :) ), which is why I will never stop using it, and will encourage others to use it as well.
RE: Messenger repeatedly registers itself for startup by greeze on 06-28-2004 at 11:56 PM

I figured out a way around the problem.  I'm kinda silly for not realizing it before.  I turned off "Run Messenger at Windows startup" in Messenger's settings, and put a shortcut to the exe in the startup folder.

(Just in case anyone else ever has this problem, there's your solution.)